HHN XXI Auditions

Since the question comes up every year, better make a discussion for it. This is for anyone who has never been through the Audition process and has questions or want to discuss it with other people. And since Auditions are presumably next month I can see questions rolling in soon.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expect the audition to be at 6PM on Tuesday, July 5th or possibly Tuesday, July 12th due to the closeness of the 4th of July holiday.

I heard a rumor that the Reunion auditions would be held on the Thursday after July 4th.

So, let's talk scheduling.

I know that ABU isn't hard scheduled, and Firecrew has to show up every night...right? This means that Firecrew is working every night or just simply showing up every night? And ABU is only there when called?

I had some friends try to explain it to me in the past, but I kept confusing the two, so I figure now's the time to ask.

This will be my first time auditioning, and during October I'm going to be continuing my college courses (I'm in Nursing) and still working, though my job is never "hard scheduled" either. Only when there is work, and it can only be between 9AM-5PM Mon-Fri. No Holidays or Weekends. My classes will all be morning classes that start around 7 AM I believe, so I know that some nights I'm going to be only getting several hours of sleep. I'm ok with that, but I think that if it's not *every* night it'd be a lot easier on me, so I'm trying to figure out everything about Firecrew and ABU.

Then as for full time Scareactors, it's Thursday through Sunday nights, right? Then halfway through it adds on Wednesdays, if I'm not mistaken. Then one Monday which is Halloween.

I may even be able to do Full Time, as classes are all Monday through Thursday. I'll only be tired Monday mornings, until the Wednesdays are tacked on, unless I can somehow do full time without Wednesdays when they are tacked on.

Anyhow, sorry if this seems like I'm rambling...I'm putting tons of thought into this. I've wanted to do it since I was like 13. Last year was my first time being able to audition (I know I was 18 the year before, but I was in the military that summer) but I was on my 5000 mile motorcycle "journey" instead. I kicked myself for not trying to audition before leaving on my trip. Now this year I really have to worry about classes...and the extra money would be a ton of help, even though it's not *much*.

Just wondering if someone with such a persnickety schedule would be even considered by the hiring board, or if they deal with this all of the time. Hell, I don't care if I'm just "the guy in the box dropping the spider" I want to be a part of the event for once.

Firecrew is someone who is cast and will be guaranteed a role every night of the run. They generally do a different role each night and are someone who they feel is able to easily adapt to new roles.

ABU is someone who is cast and then is type-cast every night to see if they will fit a role that there is a vacancy in. You may show up every night as ABU and never get cast because you don't fit what they need in an empty spot.

If you aren't able to work every night of the run, then you will be Active Back-up (ABU).

I hope that clears it up a little for you.

When you go to the auditions, on one of the sheet you fill out you will indicate the days/times you aren't able to work. Depending on which you check, that is how they determine which cast or location you will be hired for. I wouldn't indicate you can be there for a 4:30 call time if you, in fact, can't. That will not earn you favor points and may actually get you fired. What I am trying to say is, be honest with your availability.

Edited by Tman875

Firecrew is someone who is cast and will be guaranteed a role every night of the run. They generally do a different role each night and are someone who they feel is able to easily adapt to new roles.

ABU is someone who is cast and then is type-cast every night to see if they will fit a role that there is a vacancy in. You may show up every night as ABU and never get cast because you don't fit what they need in an empty spot.

If you aren't able to work every night of the run, then you will be Active Back-up (ABU).

What I am trying to say is, be honest with your availability.

In general, the more open your availability is (combined with auditioning early and often if needed) the better your chances of getting hired are. Like Tman said, make sure you are honest. Also, if you know any dates that you will need off, mark those down at the auditions. If you are looking for full-time, I would not suggest requesting more than 2 nights off.

Active Back-up roles are handed out once all of the Firecrew employees are placed in their roles. Firecrew employees have been known to have been asked to fill in full-time for someone who has either quit/been injured/been fired. Lastly, for the past few years, as an ABU employee you are REQUIRED to show up for work (whether you get placed in a role or not) for at least 5 nights. This number is subject to change.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

So, it looks like there were only two Wednesdays last year in the schedule, so I may be fine requesting just those off and possibly getting full time...and I'd be able to manage it in my schedule. I just realized that the fall semester is only two days of class out of the week, so if I have class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then have work Monday Wednesday and Friday (9-5 but it's project based, so I won't have work every MWF and it won't always be 9-5. I just have to keep the time open.) I may be able to work Thursday through Sunday with no issues.

Now, this brings up another issue...when do we have to show up? If I'm working till 5 PM on a Friday, there may be an issue, unless maybe Cast B shows up later or something? The problem with my work is that I *have* to come home to upload my work for the day before midnight, and I'm about 1-1.5 hours from Universal. Unless I can find a hardwired internet connection at Universal to plug in my laptop and upload before getting dressed or whatever.

Thank you all so much for the help! It feels almost surreal that my dream may be coming true for once. It won't be easy to pull off, but the more I think of it, the more possible it sounds.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

So, it looks like there were only two Wednesdays last year in the schedule, so I may be fine requesting just those off and possibly getting full time...and I'd be able to manage it in my schedule. I just realized that the fall semester is only two days of class out of the week, so if I have class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then have work Monday Wednesday and Friday (9-5 but it's project based, so I won't have work every MWF and it won't always be 9-5. I just have to keep the time open.) I may be able to work Thursday through Sunday with no issues.

Now, this brings up another issue...when do we have to show up? If I'm working till 5 PM on a Friday, there may be an issue, unless maybe Cast B shows up later or something? The problem with my work is that I *have* to come home to upload my work for the day before midnight, and I'm about 1-1.5 hours from Universal. Unless I can find a hardwired internet connection at Universal to plug in my laptop and upload before getting dressed or whatever.

Thank you all so much for the help! It feels almost surreal that my dream may be coming true for once. It won't be easy to pull off, but the more I think of it, the more possible it sounds.

Cast B for the front of the park houses have a 5:30 call. Call times are different for every house and street though, to account for crowds moving through the park.

I believe that the latest call-time for actors is usually 7:00 or 7:15pm. The earliest call-time is usually 4:45pm. As with having a more open availability, the earlier you can start each night will allow for a better chance at being hired (more available roles to get cast in). Just make sure you plan time for your commute as well as time to find a parking spot and walk to your sign-in location which could be quite a hike from where you park, when you fill out your earliest availability.

Well if I head straight from home to Uni it's only about an hour. Parking may be an issue since employees and guests share the same garage. Does it help that I'm on a motorcycle? Lol. I recall some floors of the garage having a motorcycle parking area, and it usually isn't full. I could probably just park the bike and keep my gear on while I hoof it to wherever I'd need to go to sign in, and since I'd be changing clothes into a costume or something anyhow I don't think it'd be a problem. Gear comes off easily, storage is the only potential issue. I'm a very fast walker (prior military service) and wouldn't mind jogging if the rent-a-cops would stop yelling for me to slow down.

Oh, and I just did a bit of research. My job requires me to have 24 hours dedicated to them in shifts of 9-12 and 1-5. My nursing class will only be one day out of the week. Other classes will be two days out of the week, or can be one day depending on what the class is and when I take them. Or I could just take them online.

So, I can do my nursing class on Thursday from 6AM to 3PM. I can do it on other days too, but Thursday seems like the best. Leaves enough time to get home, get changed, and head to Uni. Other classes I could do like Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday at night, so I'd still have to request Wednesdays off. So those days are open for work, so if I kept M/T/W open for 9-5 that's my 24 hour requirement right there. Then on Fridays I could work 9-12 just for the extra hours. So I'd have way more than enough time to get home, upload my work, get dressed, and head out to Uni.

Skip to here if you don't feel like reading my wordiness lol Ok, so this is what it boils down to: How much would it hinder me from getting in if I put availability at, say, 5PM, and requested to have absolutely no Wednesdays? I'd also probably be able to do Halloween night on Monday just by skipping class once.

Now, as for the audition itself.... I'm sure I'm going to be able to pull a day off or something and show up early with some snacks and a bottle of water on hand. Would wearing my business casual outfit be too much? Black pants, button up shirt, and a tie. Should I find a way to leave my backpack full of gear, my helmet, and my jacket on my bike (not hard to do) or would it be ok to bring those in with me? I don't mind carrying it all around (used to it) but I mean how would it look to the people interviewing me carrying a bunch of stuff around?

And, as I've heard, basically the audition is just them asking a few questions or asking you to do some skits, and you have to use a ton of body language, and words to be the most likely to be picked. And I'm guessing that anything I need to bring will be listed on the website when auditions are officially announced.

Is that all correct?

You wouldn't park in the garages. You would park in employee parking backstage. Having a motorcycle does help since motorcycle parking is right by the employee entrance. Storage will be an issue since there's no lockers officially available for scareactors in the greenrooms.

Now, to the audition.

It's not unheard of to carry stuff with you to the audition, and business casual is fine. All it really is is a type-out audition. There's 30 people in a room, they ask everyone the same couple of questions and that's pretty much it. They are looking at your body-type and to get a read on your personality. Just have two forms of ID and know your Social.

I want to audition. Can I? Not so sure. I have a seasonal job there and have only been working since the end of March. Soo..I doubt I can do it this year. <_<

Since you're seasonal you would just need to get permission from your manager in whichever department you're in.

You wouldn't park in the garages. You would park in employee parking backstage. Having a motorcycle does help since motorcycle parking is right by the employee entrance. Storage will be an issue since there's no lockers officially available for scareactors in the greenrooms.

I remember walking through the garages and seeing certain scareactor's vehicles...namely C_D/Brian's Bronco. That's a relief either way though.

Hmm, so with no official lockers, what do people do with their clothes when they go into costumes? I'm not afraid of anyone stealing my gear. I could lock my helmet and gloves to the bike itself...if someone stole my jacket, boots, pants, rain gear, whatever then I'd just ride home with my helmet and gloves. It'd just be nice to have somewhere to put those things rather than pile them on my bike.

Now, to the audition.

It's not unheard of to carry stuff with you to the audition, and business casual is fine. All it really is is a type-out audition. There's 30 people in a room, they ask everyone the same couple of questions and that's pretty much it. They are looking at your body-type and to get a read on your personality. Just have two forms of ID and know your Social.

Nice! Thank you so much for all of the help :). As for knowing my social...the military ingrained it into my head long long ago lol.

I remember walking through the garages and seeing certain scareactor's vehicles...namely C_D/Brian's Bronco. That's a relief either way though.

Hmm, so with no official lockers, what do people do with their clothes when they go into costumes? I'm not afraid of anyone stealing my gear. I could lock my helmet and gloves to the bike itself...if someone stole my jacket, boots, pants, rain gear, whatever then I'd just ride home with my helmet and gloves. It'd just be nice to have somewhere to put those things rather than pile them on my bike.

Nice! Thank you so much for all of the help :). As for knowing my social...the military ingrained it into my head long long ago lol.

Some scareactors will park in the garages if they are going to the park before call or they are planning on going to CityWalk after their last set. Most (like 98%) of the scareactors park backstage because it's a bit of a bear to go through CityWalk and leave the garages with all the guests who are leaving as well.

Almost every scareactor takes a bag with them with a change of clothes and personal items. I carried cough drops, Vick's Vapor-Rub and a water bottle in mine, along with my "scaring" clothes (shorts, a moisture-wicking shirt to wear under my costume, socks and my shoes) so I would have to wear them arriving or leaving the park. While there are some bad seeds who will steal stuff, it's extremely rare. There's an unspoken etiquette among scareactors to not mess with other people's stuff.

And I know exactly what you mean, brother.

What we had before backstage for the Soundstages was cargo beds where they store all the tables and chairs and we all put our backpacks and bags etc in there. Some people brought their laptops and schoolwork and did homework during break sessions and there was never a instance where someone stole anything.

Guest HHNPicMan

Any chance any of you veteran scareactors could give a run down of how auditions play out? For example, what usually happens once you make it into the audition room.

Thank you guys in advance for your help. This will be my first year auditioning. I am looking forward to the audition, but am nervous as well.

Any chance any of you veteran scareactors could give a run down of how auditions play out? For example, what usually happens once you make it into the audition room.

Thank you guys in advance for your help. This will be my first year auditioning. I am looking forward to the audition, but am nervous as well.

Pretty much exactly what I posted earlier today: Thirty people getting asked a couple of questions. Just be engaging in how you answer.

You guys are great.

I figure my PT gear would work wonders as good scaring clothes....or under clothes...or hey! Underscare. Haha. The stuff works wonders when I wear it under my riding gear on long (500+ mile) days. I could just whip off my gear, pack it up, and I'd be ready to hop into whatever costume they have for me.

Hmm, that makes me wonder. What would you suggest for footwear? Or is that just determinate on what I would be cast as if I got cast?

You guys are great.

I figure my PT gear would work wonders as good scaring clothes....or under clothes...or hey! Underscare. Haha. The stuff works wonders when I wear it under my riding gear on long (500+ mile) days. I could just whip off my gear, pack it up, and I'd be ready to hop into whatever costume they have for me.

Hmm, that makes me wonder. What would you suggest for footwear? Or is that just determinate on what I would be cast as if I got cast?

Everything you've been told is great advice, it's all very true.

The biggest thing we see people doing each year, is over thinking this whole process.

Show up early, wait in line all day. Get inside, wait more. In the audition room introduce yourself, and follow instructions and be yourself! From there your told yes or no. It's just that simple.

I wear gym shorts and a tshirt. They could care less about what you wearing, as it will not affect them choosing you for a role. So just be comfortable. Heck, sometimes you've been casted before you've entered the room. They only need to know you can be outgoing and can interact, without touching the table!!!!

After all this the hardest part is waiting to receive your "code name" for your role, which gets you one step closer to being even more confused about everything. Fortunately we have the site to follow until rehearsals.

Rehearsals introduce you to everything horror nights. Rules, cast mates, your character, house/zone etc...

The entire process is fun, and youll meet a lot of great people along the way.

Again, just don't overthink this whole auditon process. It's simple and fun. They're more worried about your body type than anything. Yay for auditions almost being here!

Edited by MrBungle

I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it or not, I really want to though! I turn 18 July 30th so that'll be just after the first few auditions so I'm thinking that they'll be all filled up by then :/ Does anyone know when they normally fill up by?

Does requesting a specific job such as part of the chain gang help you get the job? Could you also tell me what they are looking for for the chainsaw gang?

It depends on the theme/how they're using the chainsaws. Last year we saw a return of the CDT, which had mostly smaller guys. Saws n Steam, however, featured mostly big, scary guys. Depends on the zone.

I'm not an SA, so I can't answer the first question for sure, but I doubt that would help. They're looking at your body type to fit you in a role. Better to be ready and willing to be anything they want you to be, rather than making requests to be something they might not need you for!

Edited by Lizz

Does requesting a specific job such as part of the chain gang help you get the job? Could you also tell me what they are looking for for the chainsaw gang?

You have an opportunity to put what role you would like on the audition sheet (House, Streets, CS, ABU, Firecrew). The formal Chainsaws are, traditionally, the big scary guys. The Roving Saws from last year were actually left over ABUs who would just get drafted to roam. That's why it wasn't the "big" guys, just taller ones. In general, it doesn't make a huge difference what you request unless you're at the reunion audition. After that, they're just filling body-types they need in the holes they have as they walk through the door.