A very disappointing, over-hyped year to say the least.

alone

Since HHN 14 there were many rooms that were far more creative. I could list a ton from memory, and if you want I will, but the chosen rooms were not scary, were not even actual houses (Treaks and Foons, really?), were not scary (Treaks, Dead Exposure), etc. It's sad that the warehouse section was far more scary. The tunnel was a waste. In the Scary Tales room the strobes and concentration on Alice made the other actor(s) barely visible.

Ok, I disagree but you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, thanks for your review.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been three times already this year and will return at least three more times. Needless to say, I enjoy the event. But, the main point I agree with is the shortness of the houses. Why aren't more people complaining about this? I've been going for the past eight years, and I can't recall a time when every house was so flipping short. Granted, unlike this reviewer, I did enjoy what was there.

Maybe I'm crazy... but I'd swear most of the houses this year lasted like four minutes tops.

There is a lot I have to say that has already been said by others, so I will skip over those points.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and your opinions are very different from mine, but I understand that different people go to the event for different reasons and expect different things. No year will ever leave everyone satisfied.

I encourage you to keep writing reviews of HHN. Just because your opinion doesn't agree with mine doesn't mean I am not interested in reading it. However, keep in mind that you will sound dumb if you make a criticism on something, and then admit to not remembering anything about it.

Here are a few comments I have on things that have been said.

Part of what I enjoyed so much about Hallow'd Past (despite my other criticisms) is that each room varied, and a great amber glow came from the beginning.

I agree with you on this. This is the same way I felt about Silver Screams from 2009. Hallow'd Past was very memorable to me because there was a huge contrast in set design from scene to scene, like you said. Even after going through only a few times, I knew the order of all the rooms.

Since HHN 14 there were many rooms that were far more creative. I could list a ton from memory, and if you want I will, but the chosen rooms were not scary, were not even actual houses (Treaks and Foons, really?), were not scary (Treaks, Dead Exposure), etc. It's sad that the warehouse section was far more scary. The tunnel was a waste. In the Scary Tales room the strobes and concentration on Alice made the other actor(s) barely visible.

Sadly, I mostly agree with you on this too. I had very high expectations for Hallow'd Past. I still think it was a great house, but it wasn't the amazing groundbreaking house I was expecting it to be. Aside from the warehouse sections, very few scenes from the past are used. Treaks and Foons? A weird choice, and bad show if one of the casts doesn't even have an actor in that room.

Also, I love being disoriented in houses, so I love the tunnel and the strobes, but I do see what you are saying. While walking through the Alice room I was trying to focus my eyes on what the characters in the scenes were doing and I just couldn't do it. Also, the tunnel is pretty lame compared to last year. A bunch of faces spinning around me? That was kind of silly, even though I'll always love that effect.

The event is supposed to be a Halloween event, not a theme park. If they insist on having those games, drop them in Amity, or make them less bright and put a horror twist on it.

The games drive me crazy, but even if they were to leave them there they REALLY need to turn the lights down. The entire rest of the park has modified lighting to make the park feel completely different during HHN. And at the front of the park they have huge floodlights illuminating the games area.

I've been three times already this year and will return at least three more times. Needless to say, I enjoy the event. But, the main point I agree with is the shortness of the houses. Why aren't more people complaining about this? I've been going for the past eight years, and I can't recall a time when every house was so flipping short. Granted, unlike this reviewer, I did enjoy what was there.

Maybe I'm crazy... but I'd swear most of the houses this year lasted like four minutes tops.

The longer the houses are, the happier I'll be, but I don't seem to think any of the houses were too short this year except for Hallow'd Past. And it's odd that Hallow'd Past is the one that feels shortest, since all of the speculation led us to believe that it would be one of the longest houses ever at HHN.

The Scarezones at Howl-O-Scream are not better in my opinion. One teenage Scareactor with a Walmart-quality spider on her face came up and said, “Please help me, there’s a spider on my face.” I nearly rolled over laughing. In general, I have seen better makeup and sets at local yard haunts. I’ve seen them do A LOT better in the past.

This made my day. When I read that line I burst out laughing! :P

Alone, You said the wait times aren't there. Today is Thursday, and here are some of the wait times from 10:00 p.m.

Wait times as of 10:30P

Catacombs 75mn

Havoc 120mn

Zombiegeddon 120mn

Hades 100mn

Legendary Truth 60mn

Hallow'd Past 120mn

Psychoscarepy 15mn

Orfanage 150mn

mmkay that is all..just wanted to point that out.

Edited by Cinderelly115

I typed a whole thing back to you and decided to bite my tongue (or fingers in this instance) and not say a word for the sake of my job.

I'll say this: it's your opinion and while I may disagree with it (very strongly, mind you) I think you're nitpicking. The blue thing is LOL worthy and you should really go delete that. The crowd thing is subjective and tonight can prove that you're wrong. Very much wrong.

You complained about things that were so... tiny in retrospect.

I think some of you guys forget that HHN isn't for US, it's for everybody. While we go and know the backstory to every icon and sub-icon, the average person who goes to HHN doesn't care about that stuff. They call Chance: Queen of Hearts. The Storyteller: Grannie. The Wolfman: Chewbacca (EVERYNIGHT!). They'll even call Pumpkinhead: Halloween Horror Nights (yes, somebody actually called our Pumpkinhead "Halloween Horror Nights")

They want to have a good time. And they are, more than ever.

It's a shame that you think Universal is doing such a terrible job when a majority of us think it's fantastic this year.

I typed a whole thing back to you and decided to bite my tongue (or fingers in this instance) and not say a word for the sake of my job.

I'll say this: it's your opinion and while I may disagree with it (very strongly, mind you) I think you're nitpicking. The blue thing is LOL worthy and you should really go delete that. The crowd thing is subjective and tonight can prove that you're wrong. Very much wrong.

You complained about things that were so... tiny in retrospect.

I think some of you guys forget that HHN isn't for US, it's for everybody. While we go and know the backstory to every icon and sub-icon, the average person who goes to HHN doesn't care about that stuff. They call Chance: Queen of Hearts. The Storyteller: Grannie. The Wolfman: Chewbacca (EVERYNIGHT!). They'll even call Pumpkinhead: Halloween Horror Nights (yes, somebody actually called our Pumpkinhead "Halloween Horror Nights")

They want to have a good time. And they are, more than ever.

It's a shame that you think Universal is doing such a terrible job when a majority of us think it's fantastic this year.

j6tsmo.gif

The GP don't need anything more then a theme to be happy. They don't care about the super in-depth story and all of the characters. Universal does all of that for the die-hards. As long as there's a premise and alcohol at the event, people will come. They come to the event, they see Fear, they go "Hey it's that guy!" and they go through some houses to get scared. This year paid an homage to years past with a couple of scarezones and a house. That was a treat for the fans that have been coming back every year and actually follow that stuff which is what, maybe 5% of the entire crowd, if that? How many people do you think actually walk through the warehouse of Hallow'd Past and point out the things from different years? Probably just that 5% that I mentioned. Most people come here to get scared. That's it. It's nice that they even included the things they did in the scarezones and house for us, the fans.

tl;dr - Universal went out of their way to give the fans some nostalgia, while giving the general public some original content. The fact that Universal gave us TWO scarezones and an entire house makes me MORE then happy. They could've easily pulled a HHNH and given us more movie characters to rake in the cash.

As far as the carnival games and photo booth with Jack, it makes them money and people pay out the ass to get a stuffed Scooby Doo or a professional photo with Jack. I don't really mind either of them, but I'm sure they're turning a hell of a profit off of both. Don't expect to see either of them gone anytime soon.

Alone, You said the wait times aren't there. Today is Thursday, and here are some of the wait times from 10:00 p.m.

Wait times as of 10:30P

Catacombs 75mn

Havoc 120mn

Zombiegeddon 120mn

Hades 100mn

Legendary Truth 60mn

Hallow'd Past 120mn

Psychoscarepy 15mn

Orfanage 150mn

mmkay that is all..just wanted to point that out.

And that's without pulsing.

I feel the zone was truly ominous, and knowing that this year was supposed to be brooding it fell way on its heels.

Tell me, why would Fear have Zombiegras? Esqueleto? Each theme should revolve around him, scare zones, videos, houses, etc.

Tell me why Fear WOULDN'T have those zones.

Is Fear not aloud to have some fun? I mean honestly..

I remember the OP from the Vault, and he (or she) was always a hater and never had anything good to say about the event, and in fact, ended up being banned, if I remember correctly. Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion, even if it does vary from most people's perspective of the event. The crowds seem really high this year, and this past Thursday was probably the busiest night I've ever seen at HHN, as a guest or scareactor. So that theory is blown to hell. And don't forget, in past years when you may have had 200 minutes waits, there were only 6 or 7 houses; with 8 houses, there are more places to hold people, so naturally, the wait times are lower with more houses.

As far as the e-prompts go, you have to remember that if a scarector is using their own voice to make a scream, noise, whatever, the voice will wear out quickly. My voice gets tired from speaking all night, so imagine if I was screaming.

should of BTW, this should be HAVE, not OF. Learn proper grammar. This drives me absolutely up the wall when people do this.

Much as you are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine. And my opinion is that you're full of it.

There was far too much dead space. I felt as if half the park was unused. Scare zones such as Saws 'n Steam should of been expanded farther into the street, for example.

Money and necessity. While it would be lovely to have every inch of the park filled with scareactors and props, it not only would cost quite a bit for them to make those large areas into scarezones, but some people just don't want it. Some people want a place where they can go to a restaurant and get food or rest their feet away from the noise, effects, and people trying to scare them while they're eating a pretzel; it's funny to us, annoying as hell to a lot of them. Universal doesn't just cater to the fans. They have to give something to everyone.

The carnival games are absolutely ridiculous and kill the mood of the event. How can I expect to be immersed when I come out of a scare zone and see brightly lit games? Note, I overheard regular, drunken members even laughing how out of place it was.

Carnival games have been at the event for quite a long time. You're a bit late to whine.

The price of the event is getting ridiculous, it's getting to the point where HHN does not justify the price.

It's barely higher than last year. They ALSO have to make up for the lost revenue of the past years; licensing characters is NOT cheap, and Roddy's licensing fees cost them a lot.

Crowds are clearly less than the years past (and I go to the event the same time, in the same weather conditions, every year). I don't have facts, but when I am not seeing ridiculous waits and people are able to get each house down in one night, that is an issue

Yes, never mind all the people I see talking about how packed it is, or that myself and others have seen wait times of an hour or more. Confirmation bias isn't helping you.

(remember, houses are being "pulsed" this year).

I've heard about pulsing, though I've never seen it myself. This is something I have to laugh about, because EVERY FUCKING YEAR you've got tons of people whining that the lines never get pulsed and it's always a conga line through the houses. Then when we (supposedly) pulse this year, everyone starts complaining about how slow the lines go.

I did not hear any characters on microphones interacting with guests (ex: HHN 14 the two cyborg creatures near the Tesla Coil, HHN 15 Eelmouth, and in certain scare zones in HHN 18/19).

Spend more time in Saws n' Steam.

There were no characters standing on the outside of the houses inviting guests in (ex: Dungeon of Terror: Retold), nor did they have any actors near the facades of the house (ex: Ghost cowboy at Ghost Town, whom was amazing).

Do we need it? Do we need to pay an actor to just stand there and not do any scaring? It barely changes the ambiance, and usually just opens up the character to drunk pricks making fun of him and not getting to scare him in return.

The scare zones have to start being innovative in scares. Go to Howl-O-Scream to see how less themed scare zones are scarier than anything HHN puts out: Proper hiding techniques, more in your face scares, less posing, etc.

I've seen some HOS stuff. It's not spectacular at ALL. Nor is it particularly frightening unless you're easily startled.

Frankly, I am sick of having scare zones be a photo opportunity. By taking a picture with an actor it destroys the fun another guest may have.

This statement makes no sense. What if the guest wanted a picture and now they're disappointed that the actor just walks off? Now you've destroyed THEIR fun. Which is it? Are your particular guests who go to get scared the only ones who are allowed entertainment?

Twenty Years of Fear had neat props, but it prevented any actors from effectively scaring because of a lack of places to hide.

Tell that to all the people who didn't see someone coming and ended up nearly killing someone from fright. All the scareactors have places to hide, and they're all creative enough to do it. Mary Shaw, in particular, doesn't even hide; she just flies ahead of groups when they're not looking.

Zombiegras - how did this even get approved? The worst scare zone in the existence of the event.

Why? I was with the Rumors group on the 25th and we spent quite a bit of time in there quite entertained.

Universal, please stop using triggered sound effects when an actor attempts to scare someone.

Would you rather they just banged on the walls like in HOS or strained their voice screaming at you? The house would have almost nothing by the end of the night because all the roaring men and women would have a coughing fit if they tried to scare again. And banging walls only gets you so far; generally not very. You're not very practical.

and the hiding places of actors are completely obvious (gaping holes in the wall aren't effective) then it loses its ability to frighten someone. Did I mention that the hiding places for actors are becoming more obvious? When I went to HOS (and I am not sack riding HOS) I had absolutely no idea where the scares would come from because it varied in location and technique every single time.

You're quite thick, you know that? It's the same techniques they've been using for many, many years. It's done wonderfully for years, and if you think HOS is really any different you're either blind or lying through your teeth.

Every house needed to be longer.

Why? Everyone seems to find them a perfect size except you.

Why were there PowerPoint slides in the middle of Catacombs?

What are you smoking?

This house needed to have more scenes about the sick rather than the plague doctors.

You don't really get the story, do you? If you did, you'd understand why so many doctors are trying to kill you.

Hades had a terrible facade and did not live up to the image of Hades that we all have: A good way to see if people know what it is is to question, "If I put a guest in the middle of the house without saying what it is, can the idea be picked up on?" Frankly, Hades had me baffled why it was not grand in scale and in variation of sets.

Hades was very true to the classic Greek myths and was inspired by the original Clash of the Titans. Do you want it to be like Disney's Hercules?

Legendary Truth's costumes were horrible

Why?

Hallow'd Past's rooms were poorly chosen (Dead Exposure, Treaks n' Foons - are these really highlights of creativity?)

While I would have liked less 2008, they picked some very iconic houses and characters nonetheless. Nobody's forgetting where they came from.

Psycho Scarepy was an absolute disaster with repetitive theming ( I don't remember a single thing from this house).

I've got the setup almost memorized and I've only done it twice. I couldn't do that if it was repetitive.

Zombiegeddon, the main house I was excited because each year there is a quirky house, did not live up to my expectations.

Why? This is a review, so you review things. You don't just find a new way to give it a rating and move on.

The absence of gore was disappointing (I know you don't need gore for scares).

So why do you need it? You have such a hard-on for scares but you want something not necessary for scares? You're sounding a lot like you're being negative just to troll us. According to Kim, you did that on the Vault too.

Please put more color in your houses. There was a ridiculous amount of blue this year (except for LT, Hallow'd).

....................I have no other way to say it: That was THE most retarded statement I have seen today or yesterday other than what comes from Christian Weston Chandler, and that dude's a fucking freak.

I award you no points. You LOSE, good DAY sir.

P.S. Apparently the quote tags no longer work properly here.

P.S. Apparently the quote tags no longer work properly here.

The BBCode is fine, you just quoted wayyy too many things resulting in the "You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text" error. Try underlining them or grouping them. Or don't do anything at all. Just letting you know.

Well just as the reviewer expressed an opinion, I believe others are entitled to thier opinions too. Hence creating a discussion. A good debate is always healthy, the cleaned thread now shows more of a debate.

And Kim you are correct, I remember this person fromthe vault too.

I think this thread should just be locked... no one can express an opinion without someone else flaming them. Kind of ridiculous

It's a users review. People are more than welcome to debate a review, as long as they give legitimate arguments and not "LOL U SO STOOPID". Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't think alones review should be locked because people are providing legitimate arguments.

Alone, if you want this locked throw me a pm and ill lock it for you. But until then, I'm still leaving it open for debate. I don't lock things because people disagree with each other. Just keep it semi-educated. Thanks guys.

I forgot to add something: as a scareactor in a scarezone for 2 years in a row, you are right, there ARE often photo ops, but where else in the event can you take pictures? They aren't allowed in the houses, and while I often turn down or turn away from photos, part of my job is to make someone's visit to HHN memorable. Photos are often an outstanding opportunity for a scare, and street scareactors use that to their advantage. True, it can be hard to strike a nice balance between photos and scares, but we usually manage to do so nicely.

This brings up a great point this SZ is got to be paticularly tricky in that respect---I was wondering Kim ---when they started you guys in that zone did they invision it as a photo-op zone or did that evolve as soon as guests started walking thru it?

Edited by keeper

I'm sorry that you feel that Zombie Gras did not live up to anything for you. Like many others have mentioned I remember you from the Vault and nothing that we ever do is good enough. However, I hope that one day I get the chance to see you as a guest in the park. Maybe you should spend a little time in each zone. Not just walking through but actually watching the actors. Please note that there are two casts that do not always operate in the same manner. Watch both. I understand that YOU may not be easily scared however if you sit and watch ANY zone you will see many people terrified.

Hoping to scare you someday :)

Edited by GeeksBsmrT

It was envisioned as exactly what it is-a photo op zone with people's favorite icons, who also get to scare as many people as possible.

I've been resisting getting my picture taken with you guys cause I felt it wasn't the intent...now that I know otherwise I will be on the

lookout for a new facebook profile pic....and of course plenty of scares ;)

I have nothing else to say, so why would I post? I don't need to reply to everyone who disagrees with me (though I find it funny that if someone doesn't like the event they are automatically trolling, yet praising it is God's gift).

I don't feel that everyone that does not like the event is trolling. However, you post all of these things that you don't like and when people attempt to start a disscussion with you on why you didn't like it or feel out ways to make it better you give us nothing. That is why people are calling you a troll. All of your reviews have had an overall negative tone with a few plusses thrown in. I feel that you do this just to make it seem like a review. Maybe you need to try to work the event just one set. Not even a whole night. I guarantee your views will change. You seem to have no idea what it takes to coordinate all that goes on, how much blood and sweat the actors put into this event, and how much time Universal poors into Concept and Design, building, and executing this event every year.

Alone here is the problem, vague explanations over why you hate something. iLOVEhhn ironically enough wrote quite the scathing review and you know what people are understanding and legitimizing their complaints because they make sense. People are going to scoff at you when you say "There was just to much blue this year." and honestly why wouldn't they?

Alone here is the problem, vague explanations over why you hate something. iLOVEhhn ironically enough wrote quite the scathing review and you know what people are understanding and legitimizing their complaints because they make sense. People are going to scoff at you when you say "There was just to much blue this year." and honestly why wouldn't they?

I couldn't agree more. There is an expression "perception is reality". When you take the aproach and the name you did Alone, the PERCEPTION is that you are a shill for HOS and come here just to

get attention and anger the HHN fans. I'm not saying that is the REALITY but perhaps if you look at this objectively you can see how many view this. Like Jake said ilovehhn's review was just that a review that gave reasoning and logic to his/her opinion. There may be just as many that disagree with it but because of the way it was presented the reaction was completely different.

I don't feel that everyone that does not like the event is trolling. However, you post all of these things that you don't like and when people attempt to start a disscussion with you on why you didn't like it or feel out ways to make it better you give us nothing. That is why people are calling you a troll. All of your reviews have had an overall negative tone with a few plusses thrown in. I feel that you do this just to make it seem like a review. Maybe you need to try to work the event just one set. Not even a whole night. I guarantee your views will change. You seem to have no idea what it takes to coordinate all that goes on, how much blood and sweat the actors put into this event, and how much time Universal poors into Concept and Design, building, and executing this event every year.

So what should I respond to? If you reference a post or two I'll respond.

So what should I respond to? If you reference a post or two I'll respond.

By nothing I meant you do not offer any suggestions. Specifically 'I am not sure, that is why I am not on the creative team." I understand that you did slightly elaborate about the mask being bloated etc... However, you constantly give points about how and why things are bad but offer no CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Edit:

What I'm looking for answers specifically to is:

"Fear Revealed was a joke." - What was wrong with it? What could have made it better? (Already got your point about the stilts and Icons should have houses)

"Zombiegras - how did this even get approved? The worst scare zone in the existence of the event." - I understand this is your opinion but WHY is the the worst in existence? How long did you stay here? Is this just because no one tried to scare you or maybe they did try and you don't scare easily or they just didn't scare you that time? What were the feelings of the other guests in the street while you were there?

I ask this not just because I am in Zombie Gras but because I get more and better scares here than I have previously in streets. As I have said in some earlier posts there are two different casts and I know for a fact that we approach the street differently. You also have to take into consideration time of night, other guest in the street at the time, and how many people are in the street. This goes for all over the park. As actors we have so much to worry about: keeping energy levels high, keeping show as consistent as possible, staying away from people who want to harm us, etc... A lot of the actors that work for HHN also have day jobs which means VERY long days and almost no sleep. Personally, HHN is my THIRD job. I have a Mon-Fri 730-4, another PT job I am at EVERY night I am not at HHN and on Sat and Sun mornings, then HHN on top of that. I know this is not the same for many if not all other actors but maybe you can see my point. I run myself ragged for the month because I love the event so much and I thoroughly enjoy what I do there that it doesn't bother me.

Now, I would agree with you if by "The worst scare zone in the existence of the event." you meant staging and scene. I feel that we are too open in that street but we can make it work. All night long I hear guests "where did he come from?" "holy s*** I didn't see him" etc... If you thought the idea of a Mardi Gras parade gone zombie was a bad idea say so. I'm okay with that too. Not every one is going to like every idea implemented. Even if you thought it was going to be good but the actors didn't live up to your expectations, that's okay as well. Sometimes things just happen but seriously to claim worst ever and not elaborate and you expect to not get flack...

Edited by GeeksBsmrT

By nothing I meant you do not offer any suggestions. Specifically 'I am not sure, that is why I am not on the creative team." I understand that you did slightly elaborate about the mask being bloated etc... However, you constantly give points about how and why things are bad but offer no CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Edit:

What I'm looking for answers specifically to is:

"Fear Revealed was a joke." - What was wrong with it? What could have made it better? (Already got your point about the stilts and Icons should have houses)

"Zombiegras - how did this even get approved? The worst scare zone in the existence of the event." - I understand this is your opinion but WHY is the the worst in existence? How long did you stay here? Is this just because no one tried to scare you or maybe they did try and you don't scare easily or they just didn't scare you that time? What were the feelings of the other guests in the street while you were there?

I ask this not just because I am in Zombie Gras but because I get more and better scares here than I have previously in streets. As I have said in some earlier posts there are two different casts and I know for a fact that we approach the street differently. You also have to take into consideration time of night, other guest in the street at the time, and how many people are in the street. This goes for all over the park. As actors we have so much to worry about: keeping energy levels high, keeping show as consistent as possible, staying away from people who want to harm us, etc... A lot of the actors that work for HHN also have day jobs which means VERY long days and almost no sleep. Personally, HHN is my THIRD job. I have a Mon-Fri 730-4, another PT job I am at EVERY night I am not at HHN and on Sat and Sun mornings, then HHN on top of that. I know this is not the same for many if not all other actors but maybe you can see my point. I run myself ragged for the month because I love the event so much and I thoroughly enjoy what I do there that it doesn't bother me.

Now, I would agree with you if by "The worst scare zone in the existence of the event." you meant staging and scene. I feel that we are too open in that street but we can make it work. All night long I hear guests "where did he come from?" "holy s*** I didn't see him" etc... If you thought the idea of a Mardi Gras parade gone zombie was a bad idea say so. I'm okay with that too. Not every one is going to like every idea implemented. Even if you thought it was going to be good but the actors didn't live up to your expectations, that's okay as well. Sometimes things just happen but seriously to claim worst ever and not elaborate and you expect to not get flack...

Fair enough. I actually don't blame the actors - they did a great job for what limited amount of resources they had to work with. My observations were based on 20 minutes of being in the scare zone. My primary gripes with the zone is that the theme was ridiculous, both in it being corny and having no direct tie to Zombiegeddon. There was one float, the prop, but it felt out of place and didn't contribute to the atmosphere. It served no function because the actors could not directly work with it for scares. I give full credit to the actors as they were trying very hard after a long day's work.