A very disappointing, over-hyped year to say the least.

alone

I have been attending since HHN 14, and this is one of the worst years I have been to.

From an operational standpoint, I had no problem. My concerns were directly with the quality of the event, and I have many qualms about the event's future. The price is getting more expensive, the immersion is missing, there were many poorly executed houses, crowds are disappearing (bad for the event), and design decisions need to be reviewed.

I travel from New Jersey each year and this was the first year I actually am considering not going next year.

I don't have time to write a full-fledged review, so this is a temporary holder until I can write a thorough review during the next two days. And I fully expect to be criticized for having a non-biased opinion which is not like any others on the forum, but bear an open mind with me.

EDIT: I will please those who expect me to kiss the events rear end by saying that I did love the ambiance of the Orfanage, did enjoy most of Legendary Truth, and thought the execution of Saws and Steam and Esqueleto was good.

Edited by alone

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very curious to read your review, I would like it if you were specific on what you didn't like about each house, but, I do not criticize you at all, not everyone is happy with the event this year, I have a few things I didn't like, and about 3-4 houses are disappointing for me, I also have made a lot of fun at Fear's expense, I think he is a weak icon, I can agree that some houses are not as great, But Catacombs Havoc and Hades to me are Amazing, Hades is my favorite, I wonder, did you hate those too? also this year has some of the best scarezones in a while, I love every scarezone, but, it seems when they have amazing scarezones the houses tend to suck, it kinda happened in 08, some houses that year were not as great, but the scarezones were Phenomenal,

I am really curious what it is you didn't like

also this year has some of the best scarezones in a while

I have to disagree with you there. I think the scarezones have left a lot to be desired since Sweet 16. I'm not saying they're horrible but they aren't great either or much less the best. I am disappointed in many points of this year. Fear I totally agree with what you said. He sucks. There was so much hype and he is so blah. Hades agreed as well my favorite house...and its not even the house I work in.

As far as I've noticed while working the crowds aren't all that thin. I mean we've been having 60 minute waits at Zombiegeddon and talks of my cast being extended...hasn't happened yet. But I do agree the seemed to have diminished a little since I started attending in 06

Opinions are one thing, but just to say something nonsensical for which you have no basis or grounds to prove this on is just plain dumb.

I will be writing a review later tonight. In response to what you said, I don't have any numbers and it is possible my judgment is incorrect. However, since I went there used to be 200 minute waits for houses - 60 minutes, peaking, on a Saturday is considerably low. Walking around I didn't feel the normal vastness of crowds, either.

I have to disagree with you that this forum is filled with with only fans & biased opinions; this board is much more open-minded than most. I find that people just want to hear support for comments & feel that an opinion is well-conceived. You can't really fault someone for saying, "I didn't find (fill in the blank) scary because it lacked (evidence, evidence)." Even if someone disagrees, that's a still perfectly legit position. Sure, some folks will blowup no matter what you say, but that's the nature of a forum: some members are passionate about HHN being the best no matter what; some just like to argue.

I love hearing different views on the event; I think there was a lot to like about this year (great scareactors, great sets in most of the house, great effects in some of the houses)....but I think there's always aspects one will find disappointing. (Personally, I was blown away by my first event years ago & nostalgia makes any other event seem lacking in some way.) I thought that this was a good, solid year with some outstanding aspects.

I agree, there were disappointments. Here are some of my personal pet peeves:

1. The Icon: Fear seemed to be a bit of a failure. My wife kept asking me what he was all about & what he was up to in the park...and I found it difficult to explain the concept without it coming across as some half-baked idea. Although it was conceived as a unifying element for the 20th anniversary, the character wasn't fleshed-out enough in my opinion. If they could have had some sort of arrival show, it would have helped A LOT for those attending the event. Of course, that wouldn't have helped - in my opinion - his lackluster makeup design and overall ill-conceived persona. Most of the previous icons had a depth to their character (background story, personality) that Fear lacked. Of course, that's just my opinion. :)

2. Staff in houses. I know they are necessary for safety (can easily spot a problem, can assist if need with medical or other emergencies), but I dislike staff standing in the corners of houses looking bored out of their minds, flashing flashlights, and saying, "Keep moving." Talk about taking someone out of the illusion. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but other haunted houses I've been to around the country had staff in much less conspicuous places.

3. Price. I think we can all agree it's getting a bit expensive. I'd feel better about the price if I could actually see a house more than once a night with an Express Pass; the scareactors & the designers put so much work into the houses, it's a shame to miss it when going through a conga line. Of course, it seems like supply & demand supports the price increase....

4. Bill & Ted. I think enough has been said about this...

5. Brian Brushwood. To me it just seemed like a 30 minute infomercial for his book & website. The illusions were unsophisticated: anyone that's seen an episode on 20/20 about faith healing will know the trick behind digging in someone's stomach.

I have to say that I don't mind it if crowds are a bit thinner than in the past; it's much more enjoyable to walk around without feeling like a bumper car. I also enjoy smaller queue lines. But I understand what you are saying: if attendance goes down, so does profit. Less profit - Less $$ for future events.

Edited by minnesota_jim

I too look forward to this review. I've been going since the begining and nothing about this year made me consider skipping next year. I also think crowds are pretty strong for the begining of the season and saw no indication of "disapearing crowds". It's always facinating how people can get such different experiences at an event like this...perhaps it's the "live theatre" nature of it which tends to make the "show" different due to the many variables when you view it. It can also be outside elements like traffic, the right touring companion, weather, etc. I think expectations also play a big part although I was pretty pumped up this year and that didn't seem to effect me. Like everyone I can pick apart things that did or did not work for me but to write off the whole event seems kind of extreme alone so I'm looking forward to hearing why it fell apart for you.

I will be writing a review later tonight. In response to what you said, I don't have any numbers and it is possible my judgment is incorrect. However, since I went there used to be 200 minute waits for houses - 60 minutes, peaking, on a Saturday is considerably low. Walking around I didn't feel the normal vastness of crowds, either.

Did you always encounter 200 minute waits this early in the event? Because I never have. The crowd increases as the month carries on, and THAT is when the 200 minute waits come into play. For the record, I saw a 90 minute wait last night, a Sunday. I have my own issues with this year, too, but I went Thursday and Sunday this week and both nights were actually more crowded than I expected them to be.

well sometimes it depends on the nites u go. for example, i went on Opening night, and october 3rd, legendary truth was amazing those 2 nights, but i went last nite(10-10-10) and it sucked, cuz it was in the middle of a cast change.

Maybe u should go again and see if ur opinion is different. (This sorta thing happens to me alot)

The Review

After last years event, we all had hopes for a phenomenal anniversary year. The scare zone "Shadows of the Past" gave off a dark vibe that would honor the history of what we all love. Immediately fans were anticipating the arrival of the HHN XX, a year we thought would triumph all others. Upon hearing that this year would usher a new era of darkness I thought "Twenty Years of Fear" would be a brooding, intense event which would stand as the pinnacle of horror and the epitome of what Halloween Horror Nights should be. The event hyped itself to unprecedented levels, but I personally did not find the marketing to really build anticipation for the event. In retrospect, the poor website should of been my personal indication that the event would not do well. Every year before hand the websites had ambiance, interaction, and other means to create excitement. Nevertheless, I forgave my superficial judgment of the event and attended. Compared to most of the years I have been going, this year fell completely flat on its promises.

What went right...

In terms of scare zones, I'm quite pleased they brought back the pumpkin scare zone. It has an atmosphere that was not seen anywhere else this year; dark, mysterious, and pure Halloween. Saws 'n Steam was an excellent idea and had neat sets that used Sting Alley quite well. The Orfanage certainly had a dark theme that I appreciated, believed, and ultimately enjoyed. Great touches were the falling ashes near the entrance, the flame effect, and the props near the entrance. Legendary Truth had some neat effects and a great facade, and I really loved the concept that we were going to investigate a haunted house. Moreover, the wires running from the entrance gave the maze a nice touch. Havoc was a loud, intense house with a ferocity unseen in other houses. Catacombs was a cool idea, and despite the repetitive sets, I enjoyed the dark nature and history of the house (it deserved a sound stage). Hallow'd had awesome props in the warehouse sections.

What went wrong...

Universal must really consider its use of the Studios. There was far too much dead space. I felt as if half the park was unused. Scare zones such as Saws 'n Steam should of been expanded farther into the street, for example. The carnival games are absolutely ridiculous and kill the mood of the event. How can I expect to be immersed when I come out of a scare zone and see brightly lit games? Note, I overheard regular, drunken members even laughing how out of place it was. The price of the event is getting ridiculous, it's getting to the point where HHN does not justify the price. Crowds are clearly less than the years past (and I go to the event the same time, in the same weather conditions, every year). I don't have facts, but when I am not seeing ridiculous waits and people are able to get each house down in one night, that is an issue (remember, houses are being "pulsed" this year).

Reflecting on the event, Fear was a horrendous icon and did absolutely nothing. His story was not reflected well in the park, he came across as pathetic, and he should of been used in the event more. Standing in stilts is improper use of an icon. Let's go back to the days when the icon had a house. I never felt any cohesion to the event which could of bonded all attractions together. This is very important, HHN 15 was a superb example of how to create a truly believable, ambient event. I did not hear any characters on microphones interacting with guests (ex: HHN 14 the two cyborg creatures near the Tesla Coil, HHN 15 Eelmouth, and in certain scare zones in HHN 18/19). Failing to do this dampens the potential immersion of the guest. There were no characters standing on the outside of the houses inviting guests in (ex: Dungeon of Terror: Retold), nor did they have any actors near the facades of the house (ex: Ghost cowboy at Ghost Town, whom was amazing).

The scare zones have to start being innovative in scares. Go to Howl-O-Scream to see how less themed scare zones are scarier than anything HHN puts out: Proper hiding techniques, more in your face scares, less posing, etc. Frankly, I am sick of having scare zones be a photo opportunity. By taking a picture with an actor it destroys the fun another guest may have. Despite what Universal thinks, people go to be scared - when you have actors posing as if it were a photography studio it prevents guests from being scared. None of the scare zones truly felt scary. Twenty Years of Fear had neat props, but it prevented any actors from effectively scaring because of a lack of places to hide. Fear Revealed was a joke. Zombiegras - how did this even get approved? The worst scare zone in the existence of the event. The Coven was okay, but needed more props.

The houses were a disaster overall. Universal, please stop using triggered sound effects when an actor attempts to scare someone. In the past it worked well, but when you use it for every single scare and the hiding places of actors are completely obvious (gaping holes in the wall aren't effective) then it loses its ability to frighten someone. Did I mention that the hiding places for actors are becoming more obvious? When I went to HOS (and I am not sack riding HOS) I had absolutely no idea where the scares would come from because it varied in location and technique every single time. Every house needed to be longer.

Why were there PowerPoint slides in the middle of Catacombs? This house needed to have more scenes about the sick rather than the plague doctors. Hades had a terrible facade and did not live up to the image of Hades that we all have: A good way to see if people know what it is is to question, "If I put a guest in the middle of the house without saying what it is, can the idea be picked up on?" Frankly, Hades had me baffled why it was not grand in scale and in variation of sets. Legendary Truth's costumes were horrible and was a bit too short. Hallow'd Past's rooms were poorly chosen (Dead Exposure, Treaks n' Foons - are these really highlights of creativity?) and the house was way too short. Psycho Scarepy was an absolute disaster with repetitive theming ( I don't remember a single thing from this house). Zombiegeddon, the main house I was excited because each year there is a quirky house, did not live up to my expectations. The absence of gore was disappointing (I know you don't need gore for scares). Please put more color in your houses. There was a ridiculous amount of blue this year (except for LT, Hallow'd).

( I don't know why the formatting is off)

Edited by alone

I have a few comments to make about this review, but this one for now:

The carnival games are absolutely ridiculous and kill the mood of the event.

I 100% agree with this. Universal is better than that. Carnival games really annoy me and I felt like I was in some cheesy state fair or a Six Flags park.

They should get rid of the carnival games in Lost Continent and Toon Lagoon too. Amity is the only place where I feel that they fit in.

I too agree with basically everything you said. I still think HHN is 20 times better than HOS but they are making a case for themselves. The price for the event is totally out of hand. Fear is a joke and so is the scare zone. The photo ops must go. We are here to be scared not wait in a line for pics with mickey and minnie.

It's funny. I thought I was going to agree with this review. I have felt disappointed by this year. But after reading your "review" I have to say your definitely reaching and being a little harsh in some areas.

Edited by NightlifeMike

Legendary Truth's costumes were horrible and was a bit too short.

Just a quick question for you: What kind of costumes did you expect in a "period" ghost house? I agree that the masks aren't the best option....but did you want us all in white sheets?????

I do think our house could have been a few scenes longer.

^^^^ no alright I did sound kind of dumb what I mean is that some people are going to take this ONE horrible review (by horrible I mean he thought the event was horrible it might be a good review to YOUR standards) and have it 100% influence them into not going when the reality is this year is more creative than years pasts and it has things for EVERYBODY......be it zombie fans......or ghost fans......or hell even HORROR NIGHTS fans period I just think that one bad review shouldnt sway the people on the fence about going because like I've said before there are about 20 GOOD reviews on the event

:blink: You put a lot of weight into a review don't you? Reviews are nothing more than one individuals expressed opinions on a subject. I would not worry so much that people are going to stay away just because of a negative review. In fact it's rather the opposite, When a majority of people read a negative review of something they are truly passionate about, they will spend the extra time GOING just to form their own educated opposing opinion. - I will note I am in no way bashing you for what you wrote, just trying to show you another side of the fence.

On another note- I enjoyed this review in all its negative glory. I have read several of the more positive reviews and since I can't go this year it's nice to hear that the usual complaints are still around. Good work on the review.

Just a quick question for you: What kind of costumes did you expect in a "period" ghost house? I agree that the masks aren't the best option....but did you want us all in white sheets?????

I do think our house could have been a few scenes longer.

I am not sure, that is why I am not on the creative team. The mask that was used looked too bloated, simplistic, etc.

Thanks for your review! I agree with you on a lot:

1. The website was not as intriguing as previous years. That was a huge mistake considering the opportunity afforded by a 20th anniversary.

2. There is too much dead space…but that’s a simple matter of $$. I sometimes wonder if it would be better to cut a house or two and focus more on Scarezones.

3. Carnival games are ludicrous in a haunted attraction. I understand why they keep them open though: to make money, to keep the crowds flowing, and to protect the games and merchandise.

4. Fear was not the best icon. It bothered me that they made the other icons somehow subservient to him. It doesn’t make sense; everyone likes rooting for their favorite icon and debating why their favorite is the best; making Fear the “one icon to rule them all” devalues the other icons. It’s like creating a league of superheroes that includes the Hulk and Superman and then creating a character called “Hero” who is superior to both.

5. Scareactor posing is a double-edge sword. I have been there on nights when almost every Scareactor is taking a picture with a guest, leaving the Scarezones as nothing more than an empty set. You want the guest to be happy, but picture taking does take them away from other guests. I feel nothing but sympathy for the Scareactors. Think how hard it would be to deny someone that paid $100 bucks a picture…I wouldn't want to be in that position!

I disagree with you on few points:

1. The Scarezones at Howl-O-Scream are not better in my opinion. One teenage Scareactor with a Walmart-quality spider on her face came up and said, “Please help me, there’s a spider on my face.” I nearly rolled over laughing. In general, I have seen better makeup and sets at local yard haunts. I’ve seen them do A LOT better in the past.

2. The houses at Howl-O-Scream are not better in my opinion. I’ve never experienced so many drop panels, experienced so many “bang-a-loud-object-against-plywood” scare, or had so many Scareactors say something tantamount to "boo." There were more Scareactors and they were more aggressive overall at HOS (none as aggressive as the Havoc house though; those Scareactors rocked!), but I don’t think that makes them better. I like the range of acting demonstrated at HHN: terrifying, creepy, crazy, silent, etc. Of course, the sets don't even come close in quality.

On a side note, I really did appreciate the Alone house; it was a unique experience with terrific Scareactors and an interesting design. It was not as terrifying as I would have liked it to have been, but unique.

3. I do like triggered sound effects and didn’t feel they were used all the time. I think it enhances a scene (in general). Maybe I went when there weren’t too many going off…

One last thing: you are the luckiest soul in the world if you go to Florida HHN and have the same conditions all the time. :)

All that said, I want you to know how much I appreciate your opinion. I respect the fact that you aren't just saying "the event sucked" but reasoning out why you were disappointed. Thanks for taking the time to do this; if I weren't so lazy, I'd write a review too.

Edited by minnesota_jim

Sorry you did not enjoy the event, That is why Ice Cream comes in so many flavors, Halloween events are the same, Not everyone will be of the same opinion.

But I do have to ask, reading this,

The scare zone "Shadows of the Past" gave off a dark vibe that would honor the history of what WE all love.

tells me you were looking for it to be more like Sweet 16? Bringing back the old again and being repetitive? Yes Most do love the past, and want those memories to stay grand, not to be killed by a bad re-hash.

Edited by C_D

On your Hallow'd Past section. Did you want houses that were the most creative or scary? I mean there were some creative houses that werent scary, if we used those then we would hear about how things werent scary, but when we use scary we hear about how its not creative? I mean i think all the houses were well done, i think all the hard work that goes into design and then actual building all the way to the actual operation (ops and scareactors) really could be a little more appreciated, i mean dont get me wrong i love to read reviews, so thank you.

But I do have to ask, reading this...tells me you were looking for it to be more like Sweet 16? Bringing back the old again and being repetitive? Yes Most do love the past, and want those memories to stay grand, not to be killed by a bad re-hash.

I feel the zone was truly ominous, and knowing that this year was supposed to be brooding it fell way on its heels.

Tell me, why would Fear have Zombiegras? Esqueleto? Each theme should revolve around him, scare zones, videos, houses, etc.

On your Hallow'd Past section. Did you want houses that were the most creative or scary? I mean there were some creative houses that werent scary, if we used those then we would hear about how things werent scary, but when we use scary we hear about how its not creative? I mean i think all the houses were well done, i think all the hard work that goes into design and then actual building all the way to the actual operation (ops and scareactors) really could be a little more appreciated, i mean dont get me wrong i love to read reviews, so thank you.

Since HHN 14 there were many rooms that were far more creative. I could list a ton from memory, and if you want I will, but the chosen rooms were not scary, were not even actual houses (Treaks and Foons, really?), were not scary (Treaks, Dead Exposure), etc. It's sad that the warehouse section was far more scary. The tunnel was a waste. In the Scary Tales room the strobes and concentration on Alice made the other actor(s) barely visible.

I swore to myself that I wouldn't rip this apart because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's usually fuitile to argue opinions in a place like this because once they're out there, even if they change, people feel obliged to stick with what they post and not change their mind.

I can gloss over our differences in opinion (and there are many) because I appreciate that you took the time to explain your thoughts...

but....

blue ?!?!

the event is TOO BLUE ?

This is so absurd that it calls into question the entire review. BLUE??? ....WOW! I'm at a loss for words on that one....here's hoping they pick a better color sceme for ya next year.

Well stated!

Lack of self esteem and or need for attention. ( Misery loves company )

Anyways Mike Aiello or " The Designer " might as well get the dudes name right clearly stated that as they looked back to all the 19 years and the constant thing that has been there year after year is FEAR not the icon but the emotion. So they simply personified it and made the Icon or representation.

But either way no more attention from me. Happy Halloween everyone!

To much blue? Really? I thought there was to much pink this year....and black...WAY to much black this year.....

"Psycho Scarepy was an absolute disaster with repetitive theming ( I don't remember a single thing from this house)"

No offense, but, i just want to point this out, if you DON't remember a single thing from this house, it honestly was NOT very repetitive...

The crowds? You want to complain about there not being "enough" people in the house? yet, the past 3 nights i have gone (This past thurs, fri, and sunday) there wasn't a single house with a line under 45 minutes-1 hr.

You SHOULD be able to do every house in one night, that should be totally possible, because there's a lot of people who can ONLY come one night.

I personally thought these houses were great, while i can agree fear was a little disappointing, the houses in general were great...and Hallowed past was one of my favorite.