Tobacco in HHN

I remember in previous years many people complaining about smoking in the wrong places and whatnot....well I have yet to find someone smoking in the lines, but there are quite a lot of smokers in the scarezones.. What are the scareactors/ops thoughts on smoking out and about? I personally get a bit peeved about it, but the "official" smoking zones are pretty random and aren't marked very well so it's hard to form an opinion about it. What are the official rules about it?

Also, I don't smoke cigarettes. I think that they smell horrible, and taste horrible as well. However, I do smoke a pipe, but I've never taken it into the park for fear of an overzealous security officer accusing me of smoking illegal substances. I smoke tobacco only. What're the rules regarding pipes in the park? On that note, how about cigars? I'd never smoke one in the park, but...y'know, while I'm asking, I figure that it's probably in a similar category. I have a few occasions where I'd love to just whip out my pipe and chill out, watching a scarezone from afar, but I never did for fear of breaking some unwritten rule, or offending a scareactor or security officer.

My motto is "The worst they can say is no." Rather get a no from here than a no from a security guard while breaking a rule.

I feel the same way. I think I worded my post poorly. I mean, the designated areas don't seem to be marked too well, so it's hard to tell where it's ok and where it isn't...I brought two heavy smokers with me a few nights ago and every time they tried to light up in a scarezone, I'd direct them to a bench that seemed to be a smoking area (but was hard to tell.) They always complained "Look at those guys walking right through with lit cigarettes, and nobody seems to mind them doing it." I still did everything I could to get them to move to a bench or something at least. We wasted a good hour or so put together for their little smoke breaks, wish they coulda just held off.

I am allergic to the smoke...when I get around it I tend to start coughing in fits, getting headaches and other nasty issues. Most of the smokers I have encountered are in the lines..where you cannot get away from them..you are basically trapped. Whats worse are the ones who hide the lit cig behind their hands when they go past security or something...I usually NARC them out..If no one to complain too, then I usually start hacking extra loud, complaining about the smoke..That has worked for me many times, usually with an apology or a dirty look...Once I was told to suck it up, they paid a lot of money to be there and they could smoke if they wanted too...

I have found Univeral to be worse with smokers that Busch...but thats just MHO

Yes, queue smokers should be shot and stabbed, in no particular order. I'm looking for a place that I can do it away from people who are allergic...and looking to see if there are any particular rules against pipes/cigars (Though as stated, I'd never smoke a cigar in the park, but I wouldn't see why not to smoke a pipe). I honestly would have thrown a fit if an ops didn't take care of a rude guest telling someone to suck it up. I would have at the very least gone out to find a security guard, because that's just simply uncalled for.

Apparently the whole park is a smoking area <_<

Luckily, I have yet to see/smell people smoking in the houses!

I think there should be clearly defined, visible smoking areas and anyone outside of that should be asked to put it out. With that being said......I know it won't happen :(

This past Thursday at HHN I was waiting in line for Catacombs and there was a guy smoking in line. A staff member must have told him 3 or 4 times to put it out before he actually did so. I was going to tell the guy myself if he didn't stop. I have asthma and I can't stand smoking...:angry:

Edited by TNA

I could care less if people are smoking as long as they are away from me. I quit quasi-recently and although the smell doesn't make me want one it does give me a headache over time. If people aren't blowing smoke at me or are away from those not smoking (even if it's not a smoking area) I honestly don't think it should be a problem.

If I catch an area of smoke I don't bother but If I am "trapped" in a line or in an enclosed area I would feel a bit ticked.

When I have been in the park during normal hours I have noticed security and some employees ask smokers to put them out and head to a smoking area, but then they could easily find the areas on the map because of the day light....then again since it is a dark place during HHN I would feel there should be a little bit of leeway as long as they try to stay away from people as best as they could.

Yeah when I smell weed, I get a bit pissed off that ops is doing nothing. When I went in '07 I was walking behind this guy in a kilt who was OBVIOUSLY smoking a blunt, stinking up an extremely crowded Amity. While I'm not particularly against weed, I'm against it in public and in crowded areas because those people could inhale enough to show up on a particularly sensitive piss test...and end up losing a career out of it. As for the smoking areas, they're marked on the map, but I've never seen signs or anything when walking about....just ash trays that kinda hint to it. One or two are right beside a major walkway that isn't easily avoided (The one near B&T rings a bell).

I just recently quit smoking. I always made sure to smoke in designated smoking areas. Even when I did smoke it would piss me off to see people smoking out of the designated smoking area. It's really not that hard to find an area where smoking is allowed and just smoke there. I personally don't have a problem with the smoke, but i respect those that do and believe that is why i should always find a designated area to smoke.

Yeah when I smell weed, I get a bit pissed off that ops is doing nothing. When I went in '07 I was walking behind this guy in a kilt who was OBVIOUSLY smoking a blunt, stinking up an extremely crowded Amity. While I'm not particularly against weed, I'm against it in public and in crowded areas because those people could inhale enough to show up on a particularly sensitive piss test...and end up losing a career out of it. As for the smoking areas, they're marked on the map, but I've never seen signs or anything when walking about....just ash trays that kinda hint to it. One or two are right beside a major walkway that isn't easily avoided (The one near B&T rings a bell).

There have been a couple of nights so far this year where I did see ops reporting the weed smokers to the police security, so it does look like there are some of those addressing the problem. Marijuana smoke also bothers me a lot, it has a pretty nasty effect on my heart, so I don't want to encounter it in public myself.

I have smelled it twice this year.. once in saws n steam.. Security smelled it as well apparently since they called the person over for a "chat", and another time going into Havoc. The people in front of me WREAKED of pot.

I get what your saying. I don't agree with smoking in public but if your in your own home I could care less, unless it effects me in some way. I will say your off base about the drug test though. If the test is in the next 2 or 3 days then it might show up. It is very unlikely though considering your walking through an outside area and aren't in a car with the windows rolled up or something. If the area is well ventilated then your not getting enough THC to cause a positive test unless your walking through their smoke cloud and inhaling several times which I don't think a non smoker would do.

It's unlikely, but it's possible. I was just saying off of the top of my head. I failed a drug test because of a person smoking while around me. Granted I was sitting with this person, and this was before I knew what weed smelled like. What a great way to figure out, huh? It is about 80% my fault for not asking why his cigarette smelled funny though. Anyhow, there are some people who are vehemently opposed to it, or just can't handle smelling it for some reason or another, and smoking it in public is just plain out rude. Take it to your vehicle or your home, and I have no problem with it.

After I came out of Catacombs, I satin the area near MIB that is usually a smoking zone & an ops member had me put out the cigarette & directed me to another area (Near the Jack Photo Booth). While smoking Jack came into this area & approached me "Hows it goin' with the cancer sticks?". He then gave me seven back to back high fives. It was one of the greatest moments of my life.

Edited by Shadow Creek
  • Like 1

Here's my take just from what I've seen in my scarezone. There are 3 types of smokers:

1. I'll smoke where and when I want and no one can say anything about it. These are the people I can't stand. I am a smoker myself and will always ask those around me if they have a problem with me smoking (e.g. in the break room I typically sit around the same people most of whom do not smoke yet I still ask if they mind.) This is a common courtesy thing. The people who smoke in line, in the middle of the zones, etc... have no idea who they could be affecting. I heard a story being told back stage where a scareactor with a rather awesome beard lost some of said beard when a guest tried to light a cig and didn't see the actor coming in to scare him.

2. Move away from crowds and try to keep as much smoke away from others as possible. These people I really don't mind. Typically, I see them sitting at a table of a closed restaurant or standing far enough from the street that it will not bother guests passing through. These are the people that like to sit and watch the scare zone. Security has never said anything to them and from what I've seen there haven't been any guest complaints about it.

3. Those who only smoke in designated areas. From sitting and talking with these folks over my nicotine fix I have come to find these to be some of the most level-headed people I have met.

While in a perfect world #3 is the only type of smoker, I can understand and I even respect #2. Both types are considerate of others and try to avoid any incidental second hand smoke going to others.

So to answer your question, in some cases I do not see where bringing a pipe in and sitting and watching a zone for a while would be an issue. Try to find an area away from most people that has good air flow and enjoy the show!

So to answer your question, in some cases I do not see where bringing a pipe in and sitting and watching a zone for a while would be an issue. Try to find an area away from most people that has good air flow and enjoy the show!

A bit off topic, but sitting on the benches by the water in Zombie Gras, you really can see a fabulous show! You can see so much more of the interaction and the big picture of the zone, which you might miss if you are trying to pass through quickly. It is a joy to see 4 or 5 zombies get together and start dancing in the middle of the zone, then cower away when the fire explosion occurs. A great place to rest up and enjoy the fun.

And I've never run into anyone yet that wanted to smoke in my face in Zombie Gras (back on topic) :blush:

That's on topic for me, if those benches are far enough from the crowd to not bug people with smoke :P. I've been seeking out spots around every scarezone, seems to me that Saws and Steam and Zombie Gras are the only ones with really good watching places where I can sit and smoke, but then again I may not have been looking hard enough, because I was waiting for a response such as GeekBsmrT's :). I'll be #2 and enjoy the scarezones. I just hope that the asshats working security don't say anything about my pipe, or insist on searching my tobacco baggy (when it's dark it could look similar to weed, but judging by the smell it obviously isn't.)

The first time this ever popped into my head was two years ago when I was walking towards a house and a man with a cigar puffed and then blew the smoke directly into my face. I said something, but me having been only 16 at the time, he didn't pay any attention.

I am now a smoker myself, but I don't think it's right to smoke in walkways or anything of the sort. At the very least, go over and lean against a building and fan the smoke. I'm here to get scared. Not to worry about my dad's lung problems...

Yes, I'm trying to avoid getting any in people's faces or whatever. Sometimes pipe smoke can be thick. The people that puff their smoke into peoples faces really piss me off...line smokers piss me off. People who smoke in huge crowds, ala the lines waiting for the metal detectors on a bad night, seriously piss me off. I mean, you're in a huge cluster of people, and you're gonna light up...just ridiculous.

I have respiratory problems that are incompatible with being around smoke. The lines are bad but the Finnegan's holding pen is worse and absolutely nothing is done to stop it. Pisses me off because my nose is often a faucet by release time. I learned a trick in the lines after being threatened many times by drunk smokers when I asked them to stop. One large group then pretended not to be together when I got security, and the ones "not with them" claimed to be independent witnesses that I was some kind of nut and they weren't even smoking. I have my phone with camcorder and whip it out to record if there is even a hint that things might turn ugly. Ironically, I've one had to use it once this year and it wasn't even a confrontation over smoking, just general douchebaggery. I whipped it out and told them I was recording them for security. One of them still was stupid enough to physically threaten me on camera. I couldn't believe it. I asked him if he'd like to say anything else into the camera and they left us alone after that till we got out of the house. Then they ran to an ops to claim we were causing a problem with them. I said to the op, "There are two choices here. They can walk away and I'll let this drop or I want a police officer over here right now to review the tape and advise me on what charges I can press." They just left really fast without another word. Maybe too drunk or stupid to remember I had the confrontation recorded?

I always see people smoking in line. A guy in front of me smoked for a good 30 minutes while in line. I'm one of those people that smoke really affects so I was coughing the rest of the night.

Its frustrating.

I wouldnt mind if they just didnt do it in line. I feel its not considerate of the people very close to their breathing space.