HHN XX Discussion

Really?

The Caretaker's video that you can view in the archive for 2006 shows that he can teleport around his mansion. The Storyteller can apparently bring you into her stories, hence how you end up in Terra Cruentes, and the Usher is protective of his theater and can cause mayhem and mishaps, including sending the Wolfman after someone or calling down a lightning strike.

The only thing about icon powers that's really in debate is if the Usher himself does these tricks or if the Universal Palace Theater merely uses him as the physical "image" of itself to kill people.

Not quite. The Caretaker 'teleports' the same way Jason and Michael Myers 'teleport.' It's not really an ability, just effective for scares. I never viewed it as a special ability. The Storyteller never alluded to 'drawing you into a story.' She never did it in any marketing materials, and didn't do it for the Dungeon of Terror in 2006. Julian, granted, could have called down the lightening and sent the Wolfman, but I perceived him as more of a representative of the Palace Theater which was the mystical entity. The Director and Jack were simply serial killers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Jack was also undead (at least until his capture and placement in Shadybrook in 2006), and he was essentially a vengeful spirit trying to kill Oddfellow. The thing about the Caretaker video is that he can appear in places that would be impossible to reach. While this is just a convention used in cheap slasher films to allow for more unexpected scares, the Caretaker is hardly a cheap slasher. You see him appearing in another spot that he couldn't have just run to, that's definitely a teleport.

The Storyteller's ability is essentially the setup for the entire 2005. Otherwise, how did you get to Terra Cruentes? Did you drive through a negative space wedgie on I4?

Not quite. The Caretaker 'teleports' the same way Jason and Michael Myers 'teleport.' It's not really an ability, just effective for scares. I never viewed it as a special ability. The Storyteller never alluded to 'drawing you into a story.' She never did it in any marketing materials, and didn't do it for the Dungeon of Terror in 2006. Julian, granted, could have called down the lightening and sent the Wolfman, but I perceived him as more of a representative of the Palace Theater which was the mystical entity. The Director and Jack were simply serial killers.

Mike meyers could vanish (I know he literally did in H20). Both him and Jason were unstoppable.... even in death. So are the Caretaker, Jack, are both are dead as Universal own backstories states. The story Teller, did have the ability to make her stories come to life per the backstory and this was proven in the sweet 16 website video where she told a story about a guy and made him stick his hand in the garbage disposal and turn it on.

All the stories told on the unmasking the horror tour about them verified it as well.

Edited by JWFearman

Mike meyers could vanish (I know he literally did in H20). Both him and Jason were unstoppable.... even in death. So are the Caretaker, Jack, are both are dead as Universal own backstories states. The story Teller, did have the ability to make her stories come to life per the backstory and this was proven in the sweet 16 website video where she told a story about a guy and made him stick his hand in the garbage disposal and turn it on.

All the stories told on the unmasking the horror tour about them verified it as well.

:shrug:

Different interpretations, I guess. If that's the canon they're telling on the tour then I guess the official story. I prefer to think (other than being undead) that they don't have 'special powers' because I personally feel they are unnecessary. The Director sure doesn't have one, unless we are going to say its his supernatural charisma that convinces people to die for his art. I always 'read' the Storyteller's stories (intentional pun, sorry) as simply a visual representation of them; not them actually coming to life. The grandpa reading 'The Princess Bride' doesn't mean the Dread Pirate Roberts is real. It just gives us the visualization of the story.

C'est la. It's not a huge thing.

:shrug:

Different interpretations, I guess. If that's the canon they're telling on the tour then I guess the official story. I prefer to think (other than being undead) that they don't have 'special powers' because I personally feel they are unnecessary. The Director sure doesn't have one, unless we are going to say its his supernatural charisma that convinces people to die for his art. I always 'read' the Storyteller's stories (intentional pun, sorry) as simply a visual representation of them; not them actually coming to life. The grandpa reading 'The Princess Bride' doesn't mean the Dread Pirate Roberts is real. It just gives us the visualization of the story.

C'est la. It's not a huge thing.

I hear ya. I honestly wouldn't care one way or another if they had special powers. But I guess if they don't... then they can't come back after they are killed off... which actually might be for the better :P

I hear ya. I honestly wouldn't care one way or another if they had special powers. But I guess if they don't... then they can't come back after they are killed off... which actually might be for the better :P

I really hope this is it for the icons this year. Let's get rid of them and force A&D to develop new characters and stories.

And on a side note - I think I kept getting in your face in Catacombs. I'm not sure if it was you (because my eyesight gets really blurry about twenty minutes into the set), but you look really familiar from your pictures to someone I kept seeing going through the house.

I really hope this is it for the icons this year. Let's get rid of them and force A&D to develop new characters and stories.

And on a side note - I think I kept getting in your face in Catacombs. I'm not sure if it was you (because my eyesight gets really blurry about twenty minutes into the set), but you look really familiar from your pictures to someone I kept seeing going through the house.

IDK I only went through once on Friday during the AP party.

this was me that night

me.jpg

My interpretation of the icons' powers...

Jack - Undead, so definitely a "power" so to speak in that for the time being he seems invulnerable to typical means of death. The Cane of Souls in 07 allowed him to bring forth the Carnage Killers, so he at least possesses an object with mystical powers.

Eddie - No supernatural abilities - a deranged, mutilated maniac.

Caretaker - As far as I can tell, ambiguous as to whether or not he's dead - the house burned down but I believe it's never directly stated whether or not he survived and is simply seeking vengeance, or died and is a vengeful spirit. I'd personally support the "being dead" theory given his apparent ability to manifest himself, as seen in the 06 video...

Director - No supernatural abilities - a charismatic, obsessed snuff film director. About all he really needs. In recent years, apparently undead given he was resurrected in the 06 Arrival - ambiguous as to how/when he died...

Storyteller - Definitely a combination of the supernatural and practical. She has the ability to call forth stories and bring them to life, as seen in Terra Cruentes - as well as seemingly having the ability to "write stories" as they happen as in the 06 short film. Also seems to enjoy exacting personal killing, as seen in the 05 commercial and 06 arrival show - in Fear Revealed she has a knife rather than a book. Her role in 06 with Dungeon of Terror further confuddles me in terms of her reliance on the supernatural, as that house was a very gritty roadside spookhouse with very little supernatural involvement. Hmm.

Bloody Mary - A serial killer in life, a supernatural killer in death. She's a vengeful spirit who attacks those who dare to call her through a mirror, all there is to it.

The Usher - Like the Storyteller, this one is a tad ambiguous. It is heavily implied on the website that The Usher had a lot to do with the various killings at the Universal Palace Theater - but almost all of them (especially the Chucky, Jigsaw, Spawning, and Wolfman killings) seem to suggest that the movie character himself perpetrated the crime, not The Usher. This leaves us to conclude that The Usher merely has the ability to call forth killers from the silver screen to do harm on those who disrespect the cinema. That said, it's also apparent that he can kill personally when he chooses to do so, as evidenced by the Event Gate film "The Theater Rules", in which he murders a rule-breaker.

Cindy - Cindy's the trickiest one since it's unclear where The Orfanage falls in her timeline. My inclination is to believe that Cindy is merely a messed up girl with a messed up life who happens to have an obsession with fire - it's a relatable state of pyro that drives people to do terrible things. It's also unclear when Cindy died in the timeline - as the whole plot of Screamhouse Resurrection was the idea of bringing Cindy back to life. This I think leads me to believe The Orfanage is a prequel tale, but that's a bit irrelevant to this particular discussion. My bet is that Cindy does not have any particular ability.

Quick question for you guys... I won't get to hit the event until Oct. 17th because I am working in ZombieGeddon. My wife got to go to the event on Saturday and was walking into one of the soundstage houses and saw the video playing on the stage. She said it had video clips of scareactors from years past. We were both cast in Interstellar Terror in 2008 and I guess she said we made it into the video.

Did anyone happen to record that video? I want to be able to see it before going. Or can anyone try to catch it this weekend? I would greatly appreciate it. Havent seen myself in any kind of media from Universal yet, so this was awesome news when my wife told me.

Thanks to anyone who finds or records this video!

Yeah I think we all agree but the thing that I don't like about this, is that is a little unfair for the Usher, I would love to see him again in the future, he just came around last year,

all the other icons besides Usher and Bloody Mary have been in the park more than once ni the past , except for them, I know wer have the Usher this year but I would love to have a

Silver Screams 2 with some really cool movie houses, I wish they used the Usher in the next couple of years, at least just the house, not as an icon

Quick question for you guys... I won't get to hit the event until Oct. 17th because I am working in ZombieGeddon. My wife got to go to the event on Saturday and was walking into one of the soundstage houses and saw the video playing on the stage. She said it had video clips of scareactors from years past. We were both cast in Interstellar Terror in 2008 and I guess she said we made it into the video.

Did anyone happen to record that video? I want to be able to see it before going. Or can anyone try to catch it this weekend? I would greatly appreciate it. Havent seen myself in any kind of media from Universal yet, so this was awesome news when my wife told me.

Thanks to anyone who finds or records this video!

I'll attempt to persuade one of the people working the lines to let me stand back behind some barricades when the line is short and record it to the best of my ability. No promises though :(

Out of curiosity on all of the sites that I've been on they have been saying that certain houses are absolutely pointless if you go through during a shift change. Seeing as I am going with some people that have never been before (and I'm dragging them over 1,000 miles to get there) I was wondering if there is a set time that there are cast changes in the houses? That way we won't waste our Express Pass on a time when the cast is being switched over. I'd appreciate the help!!! Thanks so much :)

I just wish they'd bring back The HellGate Prison one... that seemed like an awesome house.. both to go through.. and to work in!

When I saw the ZombieGras thing this year I thought they might bring back the parades... wishful thinking indeed! But it was still cool, though.

Yeah I think we all agree but the thing that I don't like about this, is that is a little unfair for the Usher, I would love to see him again in the future, he just came around last year,

all the other icons besides Usher and Bloody Mary have been in the park more than once ni the past , except for them, I know wer have the Usher this year but I would love to have a

Silver Screams 2 with some really cool movie houses, I wish they used the Usher in the next couple of years, at least just the house, not as an icon

I actually like this idea. Give the icons a rest but it would be cool if they gave them cameos in houses in the future. Don't advertise it but just leave them as little Easter eggs for the fans.

Keep creating new nicons to headline the event though. I love the characters they come up with.

I just wish they'd bring back The HellGate Prison one... that seemed like an awesome house.. both to go through.. and to work in!

they were playing the audio from helgate outside of Havoc... was pretty cool I wish I could get my hands on some of that stuff... like that, treaks and foons, various other tracks they have used over the years.

they were playing the audio from helgate outside of Havoc... was pretty cool I wish I could get my hands on some of that stuff... like that, treaks and foons, various other tracks they have used over the years.

Word? LoL. Man, I went Friday night and missed Havoc... its high on my list to hit the next time I go though. They said in the boards its supposed to be pretty awesome.

Out of curiosity on all of the sites that I've been on they have been saying that certain houses are absolutely pointless if you go through during a shift change.

That really depends on the casts and how they work together. Some of them can change flawlessly, and others take time.

Since I'm working there, I haven't personally gone through any of the Houses, so it's probably hit-or-miss on some of them if you'll get that gap or not.

... I know there's a Cast Schedule around here somewhere...

http://www.horrornightnightmares.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=900

Edited by Night_Surgeon

Long shot here, but does anyone know the show-times for Bill & Ted, Menace, and Malice for this upcoming weekend (Thurs-Sun)? I assume Thursday and Sunday would be the same schedule as this past weekend, so if anyone remembers those times/has the park map, that would be appreciated as well.

Long shot here, but does anyone know the show-times for Bill & Ted, Menace, and Malice for this upcoming weekend (Thurs-Sun)? I assume Thursday and Sunday would be the same schedule as this past weekend, so if anyone remembers those times/has the park map, that would be appreciated as well.

Bill & Ted: 7:30, 8:45, 10:00, 11:15

Brian Brushwood: 7:00, 8:15, 9:45, 11:00

(it does not state which is Menace or Malice; I would assume they alternate starting with Menace...)