Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood 2018 Speculation

Next year they need to up the budget if they wanna have 8 mazes, the black walls everywhere was sad. They also need more scarezones and rides open to the public to spread everyone out more.

Edited by wow

I went to Knotts Scary Farm on opening weekend this year as well as HHN opening weekend.  It was my first time at KSF and I expected the mazes to be less impressive than HHN but to be honest it was really awesome.  They were really unique, such as one maze where a flash light is your only light, or another maze where you use a lazer gun.  Also, some of the effects were inventive, such as walking between soft, pulsing walls at one point in a maze.  I wish HHN had a few more "gimmicks" that broke up the monotony of some mazes. 

Oh, and possibly most importantly, the Elvira show beats Jabbawockeez by a mile.  Heck, even the campy, raunchy comedy show was better.  While Jabbawockeez seem talented for what they do, I was just not as entertained as I was for the KSF shows.  Lastly, the attendance at KSF was really uneven.  I saw one maze tucked away in the back of the park, almost hidden, that had no line while another maze near the entrance was huge.  I had an express pass for KSF and noticed that there was sometimes a little wait for some really busy lines, but usually no more than 15 minutes.

I don't know what it would mean if somehow Hollywood got Aiello, but as long as Orlando maintains and continues what they have been doing then I guess they can take a little change in creativity management. Just I know plenty of Orlando fans are ready to bail purely based off of B&T leaving so Orlando for sure needs a strong 28 if B&T truly aren't returning. However whatever the reason...Murdy, budget, last minute license problems...whatever happened this year was truly unacceptable. I bought three FOTL tickets way in advance and after attending one night I regretted it and only returned the second night and didn't even bother returning for my third and wasted the ticket. 

Scarezones and atmosphere need to actually exist for one thing next year, I don't even care the theme....heck throw me TWD or Purge themeing and scarezones if they think it can be complete and not just the tacky few set-pieces that were set. Orlando 27 recycled Purge scarezone and was successful due to it being complete and fully fleshed out, tired themeing or not it at least was done correct. House count doesn't matter if most of them are black walls, will def take a house count cut if the quality goes up. 

I agree with the other member that I am not sold as everyone with It and Stranger Things. While I appreciate/like those franchises and their current popularity, I don't think it is their time for HHN. Stranger Things is kinda similar to TWD to me, in the sense that it is the characters and their stories/interactions that sell the show not the creatures/horror/scare factor. Then as far as AHS goes...I love the show and love what Orlando has done....and heck I am even one of the oddballs that liked Roanoke, but HW's Roanoke was not good either....Asylum and Coven to do properly will require some serious dedication and I am not up to speed with Cult yet so can't say but what I have seen/heard it belongs in another collaboration/combo house. Def think AHS will return but whatever they decide to do with the remaining seasons they better BRING IT! 

As for anything else...see people tossing around The Thing...love it. Love even more a stand alone Alien or Predator house. However after the let down and box office disappointment of Alien Covenant it needs some time off however Predator is def open to the table especially if it can capitalize off its upcoming release. Conjuring? Not sure why people are debating it coming after it was supposed to come to Orlando this past year and had to rapidly turn it into the Hive. Think like Scream leave it alone it is a troubled property for licensing.

So after being a negative Nancy what the hell do I even want? Well...def want another stab at the video game horror genre like Evil Within, Resident Evil, Dead Space or Alice Madness Returns (or have Hollywood have their own Asylum in Wonderland original). Aside from that I think Hollywood going with some originals could be beneficial. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am depending on the announcements roll out before I buy a plane ticket and Front the line ticket for HHN Hollywood. 
 I was sold on titans of terror and happy death day last year. 
 I had a better time at LA Haunted Hayride. 

I enjoy both Knotts and HHN 2017. 
 I just enjoyed Haunted hayride more. 
I know that they are trying harder than hhn. 
 I feel like hhn rest on the bodies of work in horror field. 
 If there is more than 3 scare zones, or houses that I really want to see.  I might go if the price is right. 

(Posted this over at Ushforums so decided to post it over here)

Speaking of which I did redo my Speculation List of what I think could be coming next year. If it is Murdy's last year this is what I believe.

AHS Asylum: One of the most popular Seasons and was said that it was Murdy's Favorite Season. It's perfect for HHN and everyone wants it. I think it will be done because I imagine they would want to do it because of it being a Fan Favorite.

Stranger Things: There was a Leak on the Orlando Forums side that ST will be coming next year. Murdy just checked it out recently and it seems he liked it. It's too popular to not be at the event. It would work really well and I see it coming.

The Thing: A film that is brought up a lot that should come to HHN. It's a great film with incredible creatures so I could see ST and Thing being Creature Mazes for HHN2018. Plus Murdy wants to do it. So I could see it happening.

The Conjuring: The Lawsuit recently ended so I see the doors being opened back up and that this will happen. With the Original 2 Films with maybe a Scene or Two from the Nun to promote it. And for it to be in Waterworld.

Halloween: Solo Maze for Michael Myers again I see happening. Michael Myers is a huge character and I see him getting a Solo Maze for the New Film. I don't see a Blumhouse 2.0 anymore happening. I just think they will want to do a Solo Halloween Maze.

Trick 'r Treat: With how Popular Orlando's Scare Zone was I imagine they would want to finally tackle this property. I could both Hollywood and Orlando doing this property possibly. 

Universal Monsters: I pointed it out but it is something Murdy really wants to do so I could see it happening and it being the huge selling point of HHN2018 like Titans was for 2016 and 2017. 

If they really want to outdo 2016 this is what I see happening. A Mix of Classic and Old with a Lot of Fan Favorites. Along with it being Murdy's last year possibly and that the Budget might be huge again possibly.

• Like 2

Probably less speculation and more "what I want to see in 2018" but this is what I'm thinking.

Bring back the Scare Zones, for sure. Particularly in the Upper lot. I'd like to see the main one when you first come in, the tunnel and metro set zones, and bring back the one on French Street (I can't remember if that's the real name for it or not, but I think most of you know what I'm talking about). And maybe even a small scare zone or some wandering creatures on the Lower lot (around the escalators / mummy), though I can see where a full zone would be a total crowd flow nightmare on busy nights.

As for theming, I'd like to see Hollywood's take on Trick 'r Treat, maybe some rogue dinosaurs or experiments gone wrong in the lower lot, some original concepts (clowns?), I think It would be a cool fit for something in the Metro set, and personally I'd like to see a Purge zone return.

TWD: It'd be nice to see it possibly expand a bit down towards the Globe Theatre in a scare zone like fashion as you head into the Attraction queue itself.

Conjuring: Like others have said, probably in the Waterworld queue.

Stranger Things: I think ST is way too popular for it to not make it's way into the park this season. I could see them utilizing the area where Blumhouse was last year for this as it would give them places to come up with some pretty sweet concepts for both the woods and the upside down.

Twin Peaks: I'm not sure exactly how popular it really is, but I would love to see what they could do with this show. Most likely on the Lower Lot somewhere.

Evil Dead: Not sure the success of Ash last year (I liked it, but I don't get the feeling it was all that popular in general), but I think Ash is to niche of an audience to have a standalone maze. I think if they went for more classic Evil Dead, it'd be more popular and it could be really cool if done properly.

Simpsons: Since the ride itself is open during HHN, I'd like to see Treehouse of Horror incorporated somehow, maybe in an outdoor "queue" zone.

AHS: No doubt this'll probably be back again in 2018, either as a season standalone or a combined maze. I'd really love to see Asylum done as a standalone, but with the 5150 debacle at Knotts a few seasons back, who knows if they'll actually push for that. I can't see Coven or Cult being all that interesting as standalone mazes though. I preferred 2016's maze layout to this year's Roanoke, so I'd be fine with an Asylum/Cult/Coven combo too.

Halloween: Like others have said, I agree that we'll probably see a standalone Halloween maze this year, hopefully on the Metro/Lower Lot area where they can give it the space and facade it deserves.

Original Concept: The thing Knott's has on USH is their original concept mazes. I think OC mazes are popular themselves because people don't go into them with the expectation that they're going to feel like they're stepping right into the movie. I feel like IP mazes generally flop harder if they're not done right, no matter how popular their IP is.  

Terror Tram: Classic Universal Monsters. As Disney's proven lately, the Nostalgia factor is HUGE. And I could see a Universal Monsters maze being quite a hit. Bring in Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein, Psycho, etc.

Live show- I think we're done with Jabbawockeez. I've heard rumors of their contract being up anyway, but either way, I don't see them returning next year. I would love to see Bill & Ted's reworked and brought back to Hollywood, especially now that it's finished it's run in Orlando. 

Overall for 2018, I hope we see more of the old HHN. Less black hallways, less obvious scares, more theming and more monsters. With a lot of the construction that impeded the overall scarezones in 2017 finishing up (hopefully) before the 2018 season, hopefully we'll see more impressive scarezones this year.

here's my wish list for Halloween horror nights Hollywood 2018 
Mazes
It 
American horror story clute 
Purge 
Chucky 
Trick-or-treat
Annabel
Conjuring
Walking dead attraction
Scare zones wish list 
Main entrance And Springfield Circus themed scare zone with chainsaw zombie clowns demon clowns  monkeys teddy bear freaks  stilt walker Circus tent clowns Circus clowns  with knife machetes Carnival clowns with axes hammers mallets scare zone 2  where did The Walking Dead attraction is a zombie themed scare zone with zombies of course and survivors scare zone 3 over where despicable me minion mayhem is a purge scare with character form purge 1 2 3 and 4  with axes knives chainsaw and machetes scare zone 4 where Harry Potter  is monster creature scare zone scare zone 5 where in the lower lot is a chainsaw butcher scare zone with chainsaw pigs animals and butchers scare zone 6  we're the tunnel is toxic tunnel again but with more scare actors scare zone 7 were the black lot is a trick or treat scare zone with chainsaw Pumpkins scare crows stilt walker skeleton werewolf pumpkin ghost witches skeletons and vampire with axes knifes and machetes
Show 
Jabberwocky's 
That's my wish list for Halloween horror nights Hollywood 2018

• 2 weeks later...

So, this was only my 2nd year going (2016 being my first) so I don't have a lot to compare it to. Though I also did Fright Fest both years. As an avid horror fan who grew up in Lancaster but moved to WA state as a teen in the 80's I never had the opportunity to go to HHN until adulthood, and thus recently. I'll chime in only because you all are avid, hardcore and knowledgeable fans and you don't have any newb representation. LOL

1. I believe Murdy tweeted during all the reveals something about writing treatments for the next year already. I think he'll be involved somehow.

2. I had a blast both years and really can't complain about the bad vs. good because I think there were equally ones I liked and disliked both years. I even missed 2 mazes last year. But STILL it was fun because I wanted it to be. I've never laughed so hard as when I go to these events. Case in point, Never saw an ED movie or show in my life until after I went to HHN (then I binge watched the TV show). But during this maze, which I really didn't expect to be scared by, my family and friends decided that since I'm the most easily scared they'd somehow put me in front of them (which I always says NO WAY to) and pulled back to where I was completely ALONE in the maze. At one point I fell to the ground with my arms over my head screaming, then laughing so hard when I realized what was going on after running forward and attaching myself to the couple ahead. Having watched the show now, I get it. And we chose to have fun.

3. In fairness, I have a physical disability so we got to go to all the mazes ahead of folks, or at a scheduled time. That helped. (With prolonged standing and heat my legs and arms swell and blister as my veins leak plasma and water into my limbs...so it sucks if I'm not constantly moving/walking).

4. We went on Halloween night. By midnight it was really packed. Again, I don't know what to compare it to but it was annoying as hell. LOL

5. Things that really scare me I'd somehow like to see as mazes:

JAWS...how would you make that a maze? Swimming in a dark pool? LOL...sharks frighten me.

Alien (huge huge fear of mine, love the movies...it's been done in Orlando, yes? I watched a video of it. That alien queen at the end though!)

Hellraiser (also been done I think, yes? But nothing scares me like a cenobite!)

HUGE resident evil fan. Have they done one based on the movies as opposed to the games? I do love the games. Either way, I'd love to see that. 

Silent Hill-super sad I have never gone until now. I know this was at the same location that TWD is now, yes? Or where the van helsing attraction used to be. Same place I think.

Hannibal-Seriously. Like, if they can do SAW where you're just walking through looking at traps then you can do a maze based on the kill scenes from that amazing show.

Definitely on board for a Ramiro zombie maze, or scare zone.

Poltergeist

The Descent-That whole movie revolves around having zero ability to see and it scared the shit out of me.

Cabin in the woods. Conceptually there's so much material you can use.

28 days series for Terror Tram or as a scare zone. Super fast zombies chasing you. I want to be assaulted, you know? LOL

The Howling (That for me is the scariest werewolf movie---or was when I was a kid). 

I guess I like a lot of the things that have already been done, and so I'm out of luck. But man, that would be my dream.

Heck, they should do a survival horror game theme one year. All properties from games. I agree on the Evil Within and Outlast. OMG...OUTLAST as a maze....i'd probably poop my pants.

We have some great haunted farms/mazes done by farms and shriners over here in Western WA. I was supremely impressed by this last year and there was one that featured all children scare actors. Children doing bad things scares me...a lot. It was one of the most disturbing things I'd ever seen, and these kids were AMAZING little actors.

Anyway, that's my newb perspective lol.

My guesses/hopes for 2018 are:

-IT (chapter 1 has PLENTY of material so that they won't have to wait for the sequel....then chapter 2 will be there for 2019, release date is speculated at September 6 so perfect timing for the event too)

-Stranger Things (I think with this second season there is enough material to work with)

-The Conjuring (god I just want this maze so freaking badly...I'm guessing they'll do 1 and 2 if they get the chance to do it at all, in light of the constant lawsuits James Wan deals with regarding the franchise)

-AHS: Cult (last year was great and there's a ton of stuff Murdy could do for this season)

-Blumhouse's Halloween (makes sense as to why Michael was left out of the Titan's of Terror maze and TT in 2017, since he was also there 2 years prior...Murdy knew people would get mad about Halloween being there 3 years in a row)

-New Original

-Dark horse property (since we have one every year)

Terror Tram: honestly don't know, but I would love something original here that isn't clowns...

Scare zones: just more SZ please. I miss the lower lot scare zone so much, even if it's just a couple of stilt walkers. Also, bring Hell-oween back as the entrance SZ. I am still obsessed with the costumes and those scare actors were incredible every.single.night. I went about 7 times this past year and I saw the exact same amount of energy and passion from every single one of them. If any of you are reading this, kudos, you were all freaking awesome!

• Love 1

Haven't posted in a while, so I thought I would predict this year's lineup. 

The Conjuring:

This is pretty much a no-brainer at this point, I'm just tired of this franchise not coming to HHN. The arrival of The Conjuring in Horror Nights is long overdue and I wanna see that damn nun in person! 

Stranger Things:

It would be such a missed opportunity to not have this TV series featured at the event! I love this show and it has enough material to work with. As much as I loathe the Black Walls of Doom, I'll gladly give the transitions a pass, if utilized correctly (similar to Exorcist and Insidious). 

American Horror Story:

If Roanoke can get a solo maze, I think Asylum or Cult can get the same treatment. I've never seen either season but I've heard those are the best ones, I've seen Coven but other than the characters there isn't really much I want to see in a house. 

Trick R Treat: 

Just like Conjuring, this property is a no-brainer. I know Murdy wants to wait for the sequel so it won't be irrelevant anymore, but he did This Is The End sooooo... The scare zone in Orlando seemed to be really successful so if it's coming it'll definitely be a shared IP. 

Halloween Returns:

Universal loves to promote their properties. The Halloween movie will come out during the event. It's a Blumhouse production. Michael Myers Comes Home was the highest guest rated maze of all time. He's a Titan of Terror. He wasn't present in 2017. This property is practically begging to be a maze this year!

Blumhouse 2:

It was well received with the GP last year and there are a lot of Blumhouse films that could be translated into a live attraction. If Purge comes back once again, I will literally quit HHN forever! 

Alice Cooper 3:

This could definitely be the Dark Horse maze of 2018's event. Alice Cooper just released a new album and we all know Murdy loves to work with him. I think 2018 will be the year to complete the Shock Rocker's Trilogy

Terror Tram: Nightmare on Elm St:

There's a possible leak that NOES is already locked for Orlando and we all know Hollywood just can't get enough of the classics (unfortunately). I feel like a Terror Tram could be a proper send off to the Springwood Slasher, that is if they put actual effort into it this year. 

There's no way that this year can get any worse than 2017 with this lineup!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zombieman said:

So from Murdy's tweets, sounds like he's returning for HHN 2018: Even BLACKER Plywood Hallways!  

At least 2017 set the bar really low; about all he can do is trip over it this year.

Idk I have a feeling that after the “meh” reception of last year they’ll up the budget for this year since if something like Stranger Things or IT comes their rights holders wouldn’t let them flop

15 hours ago, wow said:

Idk I have a feeling that after the “meh” reception of last year they’ll up the budget for this year since if something like Stranger Things or IT comes their rights holders wouldn’t let them flop

I know it won't happen, but if Murdy in some way were to at least acknowledge that 2017 had too many black hallways, I would have a degree of hope.  He wouldn't even have to address the budget - just admit that last year was a problem. 

So let's imagine Stranger Things comes to HHN 2018.  Does anyone else easily imagine that anything that takes place in the the Upside Down is just a black hallway with vines on the walls?  It's like they wrote that show for Murdy...

5 hours ago, zombieman said:

I know it won't happen, but if Murdy in some way were to at least acknowledge that 2017 had too many black hallways, I would have a degree of hope.  He wouldn't even have to address the budget - just admit that last year was a problem. 

So let's imagine Stranger Things comes to HHN 2018.  Does anyone else easily imagine that anything that takes place in the the Upside Down is just a black hallway with vines on the walls?  It's like they wrote that show for Murdy...

I’d hope they’d go with the other images of the Upside Down where it’s blueish and ash falls, but Murdy is probably gonna use the black wall version

7 hours ago, zombieman said:

Woah it’s been a while since I’ve posted on here... brains been stuck in 2017 with vlog and review videos

I don’t think it’s addressing the entire year as a problem but I did talk with John on Twitter a while back and he admitted that Ash has a lot of cuts to it and he also said that he agrees that Ash could’ve been better. 

Was hoping to stop in and see if there were some cool speculations, but looks like we are still predicting the same exact IPs we have been predicting for like seven years straight. But you can't blame anyone since Hollywood hasn't really done any unexpected IPs lately. 

I'm holding out hope that the team will admit to their mistakes and put some serious effort and time into 2018. The event could use something entirely fresh and new as well. 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2018 at 5:13 PM, Joejoecorn said:

What kind of scare zones do you guys want to see this year 

I think I love the idea of being stalked. That scares me a lot when I turn around and realize I've been followed. So, what plays into that? Anything could work really. I know a lot of people are tired of zombies but a horde chasing you through a scare zone would be awesome. Last year I loved the actors who played the pumpkin head chainsaw guys near the entrance. There were a few of them that would casually follow us around with their heads in our faces and it was like, "go away go away go away" and then they'd just stop and stare at us. Then WHAM, the chainsaws. Much more so than other years. SO actors mean a lot more to me than themes. But urban inferno was spectacular.

And speaking of stalked, I've recently found and gotten into the game Dead By Daylight. I've played hundreds of rounds of this game and it still freaks me out. 4 survivors, 1 killer with a variety of "skills" (varied IPs..some movie monsters, some original) and fixing generators to eventually open the door to the exit. Sounds basic, but it's got something really fun to it. The Michael Meyers hunts are the worst. Sometimes...he's just standing there.....watching....then he takes off toward you. You don't even get the warning heartbeat to know he's coming. I would love to see some kind of interactive experience at a park some day. If they could pull an interactive experience off, that would just blow my mind. 

On 1/18/2018 at 11:04 AM, fvcking cvnt said:

I want grim reapers chasing Murdy through lower lot, there can be a show where he has to escape them by going through a maze of his worst fear: decorated rooms!

I like that!

But I'd be happy with any Scarezone that didn't have a damn "Z" at the end.  

And please - no more zones that roll out on a Radio Flyer wagon...

20 hours ago, dykealiscious said:

I think I love the idea of being stalked. That scares me a lot when I turn around and realize I've been followed. So, what plays into that? Anything could work really. I know a lot of people are tired of zombies but a horde chasing you through a scare zone would be awesome. Last year I loved the actors who played the pumpkin head chainsaw guys near the entrance. There were a few of them that would casually follow us around with their heads in our faces and it was like, "go away go away go away" and then they'd just stop and stare at us. Then WHAM, the chainsaws. Much more so than other years. SO actors mean a lot more to me than themes. But urban inferno was spectacular.

And speaking of stalked, I've recently found and gotten into the game Dead By Daylight. I've played hundreds of rounds of this game and it still freaks me out. 4 survivors, 1 killer with a variety of "skills" (varied IPs..some movie monsters, some original) and fixing generators to eventually open the door to the exit. Sounds basic, but it's got something really fun to it. The Michael Meyers hunts are the worst. Sometimes...he's just standing there.....watching....then he takes off toward you. You don't even get the warning heartbeat to know he's coming. I would love to see some kind of interactive experience at a park some day. If they could pull an interactive experience off, that would just blow my mind. 

They had a great opportunity way back when Saw first debuted to have standalone rooms that were interactive traps.  Just a little 3-5 minute experience for up to a party of 4.  Everyone has to put their hand down a garbage disposal, put a steak fork in an electrical socket, reach into a tube with a nail gun at the end, etc.  The capacity would have completely sucked, but it would have pre-dated what Knott's did with their standalone Skeleton Key rooms.  And it would have been pure "Saw".  Some of you reading this may remember Sinister Pointe's Saw maze having such a room at the very beginning.  Memorable to this day.

• Like 3

The Conjuring & Halloween is basically a guarantee this year.

I think I remember direct messaging Murdy on Twitter like 2 months ago since we both follow each other. I asked for a Predator maze, ya know... Predator movie coming out like a month before Horror Nights opens this year. Bla, bla bla, could reuse a bunch of stuff from the AvP mazes. We all need a Predator maze...

I just really want a solo Predator maze... and an Alien maze ... and a Scream maze...

Just throwing out what I WANT then what I THINK will come this year...

... a Frankenstein Meets The Wolf-Man maze anyone?