HHN 27 Discussion

Mark M.

1 hour ago, Drummanmatt said:

Anyone got the exact recipe for midnight madness (got ingredients not measures). Wanting to make some for a Halloween party :D

Orange half:

Bacardi tangerine rum

Malibu coconut rum

orange juice

Sprite

Purple half:

St. Augustine vodka

Blue Curacao

Cointreau

cranberry juice

lemonade

I have it on good authority that this is the exact preparation used at HHN, albeit on a per-serving scale:
Fill two glasses with ice.

To one glass, add 4 parts lemonade, 2 parts cranberry juice

Wave the bottles of St. Augustine, Curacao, and Cointreau over the glass - being careful not to let any of the alcohol to actually go into the glass.

To the other glass, add 6 parts OJ,  1 part Sprite.

Hold the rum bottle in one hand  Raise the other hand, extending your index finger and flex it three times, saying "RedRUM!" with each flex.

Put a straw in each glass and that, my friend, is an HHN Midnight Madness

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zombieman said:

Orange half:

Bacardi tangerine rum

Malibu coconut rum

orange juice

Sprite

Purple half:

St. Augustine vodka

Blue Curacao

Cointreau

cranberry juice

lemonade

I have it on good authority that this is the exact preparation used at HHN, albeit on a per-serving scale:
Fill two glasses with ice.

To one glass, add 4 parts lemonade, 2 parts cranberry juice

Wave the bottles of St. Augustine, Curacao, and Cointreau over the glass - being careful not to let any of the alcohol to actually go into the glass.

To the other glass, add 6 parts OJ,  1 part Sprite.

Hold the rum bottle in one hand  Raise the other hand, extending your index finger and flex it three times, saying "RedRUM!" with each flex.

Put a straw in each glass and that, my friend, is an HHN Midnight Madness

That explains everything. Alcohol as a kick to do HHN is purely a state of mind 

On 10/3/2017 at 9:46 AM, ttshowbiz said:

I was able to go the second week of HHN and had a great time. During that trip I was also able to do the escape room @hunnylvr talked about in previous posts. We did the asylum and it was SO much fun. I been to a bunch of escape rooms and this is by far my favorite. I think my husband got more scares here than he did at the parks. It was very innovative and well designed. The staff was also wonderful! I believe there is still a discount code available for hhn nightmares members. If anyone is interested their website is http://www.dare2escape.com/

They are not very far from the parks so we did ours during the day before we headed back for HHN. 

Also we did escape, but just barely.

I am SO GLAD you enjoyed yourselves!   Sorry.. I haven't been on in a couple weeks.  Between traveling and work, it's been insane.

Just wanted to pop in and say that yes, the discount code applies all during HHN season.  Please consider playing a game or two with us!

On 10/5/2017 at 7:50 PM, Drummanmatt said:

That explains everything. Alcohol as a kick to do HHN is purely a state of mind 

Seriously. I got a Liquid Courage (the orange one) last time purely out of curiosity because I've never gotten a signature drink before, and it had maybe as much total alcohol content as a single bottle of beer. And not even a strong, 9-12% ABV beer. Just a regular beer.

I already have withdrawal from HHN. London sucks. Been listening to a podcast on the tube with live recordings of the hosts doing the houses, and everyone giving me weird looks as I’m smiling listening to people screaming and monsters howling haha. 

Really hope I can go next year. It was everything I hoped for and more!

Had a great time this year.

1. AHS - This house was just a joy to go through every time. I'm a huge fan of the show and it was done so well this year, with so many creative and different scares and great set design, loved the facade as well and the creative uses of smells (although I always felt hungry at the end ;)) the main reason this is above scarecrow is because I felt this had more soul and spirit than scarecrow, and aren't souls and spirits what halloween's all about?

2. Scarecrow: The Reaping  - Definitely the scariest house this year, this is just a damn great original house. An original idea with great atmosphere and a fucking badass facade. Although it was an original house, it manages to create a memorable ass icon! pig boi scares the shit out of me with his dope ass ripping noises, although I'm not sure how original this character is, as there are at least 3 other pig men at the event. The costume design and atmosphere matched with some badass sounds really make this the sp00kiest, although I have two criticisms. While it scared the shit out of me, I had absolutely NO idea what the fuck was going on in the so called "crow attack" room, I just assumed it was air cannons galore and it really confused me. Also the final room sucks.

3. Saw: The Games of Jigsaw - It seems like most people really didn't like this one, but I had a great time every time I went through. While it wasn't the most creative house of all time, with generic oh look its a hole wow the pig came out, some of the scares were really well crafted, like how the guy from the first movie would come out on your right, sending you across the bathroom to the left, then the pig fucker comes out with his knife from the left! really gets ya bouncin. I loved fucking with my friends with the GATs. Another thing I got from this house that I didn't really expect was a really nice atmosphere. I've never seen a Saw film all the way through, and while it doesn't have a facade, the house immediately has some kinda cool atmosphere with the puppet coming down menacingly towards you, and then the laughs getting louder and louder. While the people being tortured weren't at all scary to me, it really built a cool feeling that you were in a torture maze, and you were the audience for some really insane stuff, a la hair pulling. Another highlight for the event was my friend getting sooo spooked by the last jigsaw, he threw me at my friend and out of the house.

4. The Fallen - I'll admit that on my first run I hated this house. I thought it was a waste of space. However, after further runs, I noticed some really damn creative scares that has just been mistimed before. A guy sticks his hand through a corpse, a guy coughs, then you turn the corner and he vomits on you, and people fuckin fly. OK just to make it clear tho, busch gardens does the bungee scares WAY better than that one. This house has a fucking dope ass hellish atmosphere, with my second favorite facade of the event. I also really appreciate the costume design, especially the blacksmith demons, that's probably the closest thing I'll ever get to DOOM. Really cool ideas in this house, just not always executed on time by the actors.

5. The Hive - Didn't have the highest expectations for this house, that was confirmed mentally by the fucking trading card on the front of the tent and no scares for the opening rooms, but after I went through it, it completely surpassed my expectations of what a vampire house could be. The makeup is so dope! I can't stop admiring the prosthetic work on some of the actors, with their colored contacts. Mostly stupid scares consisting of a guy just coming around a corner, but a couple really creative ideas including the triple scare and the bad fucking ass nosferatu sequence. The actors really made this house for me, and I had the pleasure of going through it at a slow time with just my mom and me, got to spook her on every scare. The reason it's lower than the Fallen is it doesn't have as cool of an atmosphere and has mostly dumb scares. Also, you can definitely tell it had to be changed last minute, with no facade and some rooms with no scares, a really shitty last scare and uhhh a dark room with lights for the last room?

6. The Shining - This was definitely my most anticipated house as the Kubrick film is probably my fav horror film, but damn. damn damn damn. They really kinda fucked up. Ok so the first time I went through this house and I saw the hedge maze I was like "oh fuck yes," went through the first few hallways like, ok... that was cool I guess? but as soon as I stepped in the lobby, all of my fears about this movie kicked back in, and Jack swinging his axe at me made my scream like I don't often scream in these houses. After that, everything fucking got me soooo good because it was like living a nightmare. When I saw the bear rush back into its boohole in front of me I screamed to my friends "OH MY GOD DID YOU GUYS SEE THAT? THE BEAR THE BEAR!!!!," and it came out and scared the living shit out of me. I came out of the house thinking this was the best house I had ever been in. Sadly, on further runs, it became apparent to me that it was not. Okay, so first, it doesn't fit the movie very well at all. I liked the Hollywood interpretation of all the pages and I don't know why we couldn't had at least SOME interpretation of Jack's madness, as it is such a huge part of the story. The scares aren't very creative, with hallways people walk out of and swing axes from, with one exeption being the gold room scene, which I LOVE. I just wish they could've made a house about one of the most unique horror movies of all time, not just boo-holes. The atmosphere is pretty cool though, just needs less LED screens overlayed on top of paintings, two too many.

7. Dead Waters - With the best facade I've ever seen, (I didn't do exorcist last year though) and some cool opening scares, it really gets you pumped up for a good ass time. Sadly, I feel it kinda lets down on the scares while being really charming and beautiful. It has a couple empty hallways that break up the action, and -ugh- a couple of the opening costumes are so obviously reused masks from last years' Dead Man's Wharf scarezone. Another one with mostly unoriginal scares, it does have a cool forest sequence that scares the shit out of me every time I go through it. This house is my favorite house to look at, would love to do a tour of it without actors. Mostly under Shining cuz of bias.

8. The Horrors of Blumhouse - This was one I watched a LOT of movies for. Alas, I feel it was a waste, as this house had quite a bit of - not even scares - dummys? from the new Insidious. I actually enjoyed the Sinister sequence, although it could've been more fleshed out I thought it was well done and the first room has a cool atmosphere. the Purge section is ass, and I would have MUCH more wanted that ouija thing, then I wouldn't have watched that shitty purge movie. However, once you get to insidious, it actually gets pretty cool, with a dope bride in black jump and a really fuckin scary hallway involving a demon and a little girl. THE LIPSTICK FACE DEMON'S WORKSHOP IS SO COOL, really enjoyed that scare, followed by a lil reference to Chapter 2 with the "dont you dare." After this however, it kinda goes to shit, with a stupid curtain room, a really stupid and confusing electric chair room, and finishing off with an alright hallway clusterfuck that I mistimed on so many times despite going through this house consecutively multiple times. No creative scares expect like 2, and rare but when present awesome atmosphere.Where's Insidious 3? Where's Creep? Where's Get Out? wasted potential, hoping for a better volume 2. At least the cast worked pretty hard in my experience.

9. Ash vs Evil Dead - *sigh* my 2nd most anticipated house, this really wasn't great. The Cast had energy, they tried, and the house is decent, just it doesn't stack up the the rest of this year's lineup. Ok Ash's lines suck, making stupid jokes only middle schoolers would think are edgy. The scares are surprisingly barren, with seemingly endless empty hallways. However, when the scares actually happen, they're generic boo-holes. Also prevalent in this house is just screaming people? not scary. The deadites are cool when they are around though. My absolute favorite thing about this house, and the reason I came to it multiple times at all is that fucking amazing feeling of going from a cool severed head scare, to a chill point where you can admire that you're going in the fucking cabin, Ash popping out and all. That makes this house amazing for me, as I'm a huge Evil Dead fan. Also love the shed scene. At the end there's a stupid hallway of endless random creatures from Evil Dead, with a henrietta I didn't realize was henrietta until talking about it with a friend. CMON HOLLYWOOD GOT A FULL ON EVIL DEAD 2 BASEMENT SCENE WITH ACTUAL HENRIETTA LOOKING HENRIETTA AND LOOOONG NECK HENRIETTA. that pisses me off and puts this house at the bottom of my list. Do a "The Evil Dead" house tho pleaseeee hhn I will love you forever.

Scare Zones Review Coming later

20 hours ago, Drummanmatt said:

I already have withdrawal from HHN. London sucks. Been listening to a podcast on the tube with live recordings of the hosts doing the houses, and everyone giving me weird looks as I’m smiling listening to people screaming and monsters howling haha. 

Really hope I can go next year. It was everything I hoped for and more!

So glad you had a good time, Matt.  I sincerely apologize that we weren't able to meet up with you Sunday night.  We ended not being able to go as all three of us came down with nasty colds.  What the hell??!!  I know!!!  I was so looking forward to meeting you and laughing my ass off as you screamed through the houses.  I hope you do come back next year, and we will make it up to you!

Btw, I love London.  :)

Hey everyone! My group and I are gearing up for our trip this coming weekend! We can’t wait for everything to come to life! Quick question- I’ve read a lot of posts about the bar situation, and there only being a few bars that sell liquor this year. None of us really drink beer or wine.  Can anyone confirm the locations of those bars for me? I just want to have it in my mind while we are walking around. 

Also is finnegans still being used as a holding pen for stay and scream? 

On 13/10/2017 at 5:22 PM, hunnylvr said:

So glad you had a good time, Matt.  I sincerely apologize that we weren't able to meet up with you Sunday night.  We ended not being able to go as all three of us came down with nasty colds.  What the hell??!!  I know!!!  I was so looking forward to meeting you and laughing my ass off as you screamed through the houses.  I hope you do come back next year, and we will make it up to you!

Btw, I love London.  :)

I got a cold while on holiday too. I had to rearrange my RIP tour for the following weekend (for and extra £50. But worth it as I would’ve ended up just hating life and everyone there if I went with my cold). 

Hoping to go next year. Just one slight wrinkle. I just got a finance job with Disney, and they have a September year end. Only found out a few days before my holiday I got the job, and I couldn’t be happier. And if I’m being honest I could never turn it down for anything. It’s my dream job. I grew up with Disney and it’s a huge part of my family. My parents still have their Christmas tree which is 99% Disney!

I am hoping they get year end done early but means I’d probably only make the last week next year if I can make it at all.

If I could go again this year I would in a heartbeat. I loved it! And surprised myself in just smiling in a goofy way all round all mazes. I just loved the attention to detail and just how much everyone else screamed and ran and I was proud I only jumped a couple times but never reacted more than that (except scarecrow - I spent the whole time saying “oh f**k” under my breath the whole way, until the end. Then I just said it out loud haha). 

I’m glad I waited to do this for my 30th but I just want to do it every year now. I think I’ve convinced a few victims/sacrificial lambs/ willing volunteers to join me when I can with promises of free Disney passes which is going to be fun. One of them jumped watching a low light video of scarecrow! I don’t hold out much hope for her (and she’s my old boss!)

hunnylvr - next time you’re in London let me know! Happy to hang out and play tour guide. I told you before do the London Bridge experience, but they do extreme versions for Easter and Halloween where the actors can touch you. Apparently they’ve done live shotgun weddings with the guests as the betrothed, and a real rabbit run with mutated human sized rabbits chasing you in the dark trying to lock you up into hutches. Never done it before (my friends are too scared) but up for trying it at least once!

Also did the six house unmasking the horror tour and loved it. Dave the tour guide was brilliant. Got so many pics of all the houses we went through except the shining. If anyone wants pics let me know will share mine. They’ve been on Facebook a while now so presume they’re ok to share

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 0:57 PM, Drummanmatt said:

I got a cold while on holiday too. I had to rearrange my RIP tour for the following weekend (for and extra £50. But worth it as I would’ve ended up just hating life and everyone there if I went with my cold). 

Hoping to go next year. Just one slight wrinkle. I just got a finance job with Disney, and they have a September year end. Only found out a few days before my holiday I got the job, and I couldn’t be happier. And if I’m being honest I could never turn it down for anything. It’s my dream job. I grew up with Disney and it’s a huge part of my family. My parents still have their Christmas tree which is 99% Disney!

I am hoping they get year end done early but means I’d probably only make the last week next year if I can make it at all.

If I could go again this year I would in a heartbeat. I loved it! And surprised myself in just smiling in a goofy way all round all mazes. I just loved the attention to detail and just how much everyone else screamed and ran and I was proud I only jumped a couple times but never reacted more than that (except scarecrow - I spent the whole time saying “oh f**k” under my breath the whole way, until the end. Then I just said it out loud haha). 

I’m glad I waited to do this for my 30th but I just want to do it every year now. I think I’ve convinced a few victims/sacrificial lambs/ willing volunteers to join me when I can with promises of free Disney passes which is going to be fun. One of them jumped watching a low light video of scarecrow! I don’t hold out much hope for her (and she’s my old boss!)

hunnylvr - next time you’re in London let me know! Happy to hang out and play tour guide. I told you before do the London Bridge experience, but they do extreme versions for Easter and Halloween where the actors can touch you. Apparently they’ve done live shotgun weddings with the guests as the betrothed, and a real rabbit run with mutated human sized rabbits chasing you in the dark trying to lock you up into hutches. Never done it before (my friends are too scared) but up for trying it at least once!

Also did the six house unmasking the horror tour and loved it. Dave the tour guide was brilliant. Got so many pics of all the houses we went through except the shining. If anyone wants pics let me know will share mine. They’ve been on Facebook a while now so presume they’re ok to share

I am so happy you had a great time!  I still wish we could've gone through some houses with you.  I hope you can make it back again and again.  It wouldn't be so bad to come for Halloween week next year!  We will be there for sure since that's our anniversary and Halloween on a Wednesday is more manageable than a Tuesday.  

I mutter "Oh f***" under my breath and out loud often.  LOL!  It just pops out if the actors are doing it right.  heheheheh

As for London - I will take you up on that, sir.  Every time we go, we are talking on the flight home about "next time".  There is a terrific pub around the corner from where we usually stay that we visit multiple times usually.  It's a four minute walk (or less) from the Marble Arch Tube station.  Would love to buy you a pint.

• Like 1

Anyone else receive an HHN survey from Orlando this year?

I just did mine.  Very short and didn't ask for any house reviews.

It focused on:

How much advertising you saw

Which ticket options you bought

How scary event was

Bill and Ted - lots of Q's as to what you think of it, and why you like it.  No Q's as to what you want to replace it.

One measly Q about which houses you went into

It was weird - they asked early on why you rated the event the way you rated it.  They wanted a brief answer and promised a lot of options for giving opinions elsewhere.

The ONLY other places to give opinions was regarding marketing, and a general comment box at very end.

I said marketing sucked this year, and I travel 2500 miles for the original content houses.  If the event is all about the IP, why not reveal the original houses first and save the "best" for last?

In the final comment box, I mentioned that B&T and Originals are the only reason I go.  Taking B&T away means I have no plans to go next year right now.

Also mentioned that the queue organization has gotten out of hand - 1/4 mile walk per house even when houses are next to each other is too much.  There are ways they can make it less insane and still handle the crowds.  Also bitched about UTH tour not allowing photos in some ORIGINAL houses, for God's sake...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, zombieman said:

1/4 mile walk per house even when houses are next to each other is too much.

The shining layout is just insane. I didn't see that queue stretch into the courtyard even once when I was there; yet, you have to zig-zag the entire thing every time?  They could have adjusted those switchbacks once the realized the demand wasn't going to be as big as they thought.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zombieman said:

Anyone else receive an HHN survey from Orlando this year?

I just did mine.  Very short and didn't ask for any house reviews.

It focused on:

How much advertising you saw

Which ticket options you bought

How scary event was

Bill and Ted - lots of Q's as to what you think of it, and why you like it.  No Q's as to what you want to replace it.

One measly Q about which houses you went into

It was weird - they asked early on why you rated the event the way you rated it.  They wanted a brief answer and promised a lot of options for giving opinions elsewhere.

The ONLY other places to give opinions was regarding marketing, and a general comment box at very end.

I said marketing sucked this year, and I travel 2500 miles for the original content houses.  If the event is all about the IP, why not reveal the original houses first and save the "best" for last?

In the final comment box, I mentioned that B&T and Originals are the only reason I go.  Taking B&T away means I have no plans to go next year right now.

Also mentioned that the queue organization has gotten out of hand - 1/4 mile walk per house even when houses are next to each other is too much.  There are ways they can make it less insane and still handle the crowds.  Also bitched about UTH tour not allowing photos in some ORIGINAL houses, for God's sake...

house reviews are surveyed at the end of the park in those computer surveys. This is just the zone and show  survey, half the survey i guess. 
you get to tell them what you thought about the houses at the park survey 

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been back here and just had a general question. Has the event still generally been slow on Halloween Night itself for the past two years? I know it used to be and that's the night I'm aiming for this year.

If so, do you think that trend continues this year? Have Wednesdays been slower? I think those were new dates added this year to try to meet the demand. For all the pros here who have actually been on Halloween, do you think it will be slower this year still?

Otherwise probably won't go until the first weekend of November. Want to avoid hell week and those insane prices. Would never do this event again without an Express Pass.

Thanks

18 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been back here and just had a general question. Has the event still generally been slow on Halloween Night itself for the past two years? I know it used to be and that's the night I'm aiming for this year.

If so, do you think that trend continues this year? Have Wednesdays been slower? I think those were new dates added this year to try to meet the demand. For all the pros here who have actually been on Halloween, do you think it will be slower this year still?

Otherwise probably won't go until the first weekend of November. Want to avoid hell week and those insane prices. Would never do this event again without an Express Pass.

Thanks

Last year, Halloween was slower. Yet the day before was Sunday was crazy packed. 
 It might be the same way. 
I remember 3 years ago 24th  they had huge turn out for Halloween. 
 It depends. 
I hope that it slows down by November 3/4 I am taking my sister. 

On 10/15/2017 at 11:37 AM, GODFATHRxx said:

Hey everyone! My group and I are gearing up for our trip this coming weekend! We can’t wait for everything to come to life! Quick question- I’ve read a lot of posts about the bar situation, and there only being a few bars that sell liquor this year. None of us really drink beer or wine.  Can anyone confirm the locations of those bars for me? I just want to have it in my mind while we are walking around. 

Also is finnegans still being used as a holding pen for stay and scream? 

Anyone?

4 hours ago, GODFATHRxx said:

Anyone?

I ate at finnegans during the stay and scream a few weeks back. If you are getting a drink they were making people get their drink and leave but if you eat you can stay. There are the usual pop up bars. I'm not a drinker so I wasn't paying attention to other places to get drinks. You can also go to Springfield for s&as there's a duff something bar that wasn't crowded at all when I was there and plenty of seating outdoors and they were letting people inside the food court for some air conditioned seating as well. If you do Springfield you get early access to Blumhouse and Hive and should be ready for scarecrow when everything else opens. Finnegans early house I think was shining or dead waters can't remember for sure. But I want to say there was only one house for early access with finnegans.

5 hours ago, MoonKnight said:

Finnegans early house I think was shining or dead waters can't remember for sure. But I want to say there was only one house for early access with finnegans.

When I did Stay and Scream at Finnegans 2 weeks ago, we got early access to Shining and when we got out of Shining we were able to go through AHS (park was not open yet) and then we were able to go through Dead Waters. I think normally you can also do Fallen but we went they were having some technical difficulties and Fallen didn't open until around 7. 

I went for the first time this Thursday, GREAT event, better than the trash we have here at Hollywood. There were 2 things I was curious about, hoping someone would know.

What was up with the Purge with the truck and motorcycle? Do they do like a mini show with it or something?

What/where were the GATs in Saw?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LucasKLeeEsq said:

I went for the first time this Thursday, GREAT event, better than the trash we have here at Hollywood. There were 2 things I was curious about, hoping someone would know.

What was up with the Purge with the truck and motorcycle? Do they do like a mini show with it or something?

What/where were the GATs in Saw?

Saw GATS: there are 3-4 red buttons that you push for different actions in different rooms , one is a loud horn, one is air guns shooting air at people behind you, and the other one makes the floor shake a little i think. 

the purge truck: this is from 3 years ago but it is basically the same exact thing, victims get kidnapped and then sold by the blonde lady. 

On 10/19/2017 at 5:40 PM, littlegreenghouls said:

Last year, Halloween was slower. Yet the day before was Sunday was crazy packed. 
 It might be the same way. 
I remember 3 years ago 24th  they had huge turn out for Halloween. 
 It depends. 
I hope that it slows down by November 3/4 I am taking my sister. 

Huh thanks for the info. Yeah I'm going to ask around. This year there is a Sunday and Monday before Halloween. I didn't expect it to be that busy.

On 10/21/2017 at 6:05 PM, clash said:

Saw GATS: there are 3-4 red buttons that you push for different actions in different rooms , one is a loud horn, one is air guns shooting air at people behind you, and the other one makes the floor shake a little i think. 

the purge truck: this is from 3 years ago but it is basically the same exact thing, victims get kidnapped and then sold by the blonde lady. 

Oh that’s awesome!! Wish Hollywood would do cool creative things like that