HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

3 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

I missed all the King spec. :(

We have Kubrick's Shining. Never expect a King approved house. Full stop. All spec is dead. The bridge is burnt. It will never happen. 

Tabitha, and his children will most likely be willed the rights. They will not disobey his wishes. 

It's not going to happen in our life time, folks. 

Now for the vampire clowns spec:

How? How in the world did we jump to this conclusion? That image doesn't look like a clown. There are far more likely "let me in" scenarios. 

You know what the image looks like? A black-eyed child. That's an urban legend turned creepypasta with serious "let me in" vampire potential. 

Again, I'm not aware of any past negotiations about using King's IP or how contentious they might have been but everyone keeps saying we'll never get a house based on anything he wrote and are using the cryptic response from Murdy as the proof. But isn't that a little contradictory? It's happening as 'The Shining' was announced. Apparently somehow it was approved and no matter how little he liked the movie I don't think you can use the name 'The Shining', no matter what the content, without some sort of approval from the owner of the source material. Either way, none of this explains why they couldn't have created a house based on it before now if they wanted to as has been stated in this thread. They would have just done it. Something must have been stopping them that has changed and I think that it makes sense that it's probably approval from King because of the upcoming movies. 

Edited by Lar6767
Typo

2 hours ago, Lar6767 said:

Again, I'm not aware of any past negotiations about using King's IP or how contentious they might have been but everyone keeps saying we'll never get a house based on anything he wrote and are using the cryptic response from Murdy as the proof. But isn't that a little contradictory? It's happening as 'The Shining' was announced. Apparently somehow it was approved and no matter how little he liked the movie I don't think you can use the name 'The Shining', no matter what the content, without some sort of approval from the owner of the source material. Either way, none of this explains why they couldn't have created a house based on it before now if they wanted to as has been stated in this thread. They would have just done it. Something must have been stopping them that has changed and I think that it makes sense that it's probably approval from King because of the upcoming movies. 

While John is usually a carny, that response is NOT cryptic in any way shape or form. Someone asked him how he got Stephen King's approval for The Shining to come to HHN and he straight up said that he didn't. Stephen King was not involved in the deal with the parks to bring The Shining to the event, nor did he give his seal of approval. That is a fact and it is supplied by the creative director of Hollywood. So how you can persist to argue that "Because we get The Shining and it's Stephen King it means we can get IT too" dumbfounds me. Stephen King will not approve his properties to be at haunts. The Shining is Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. If Universal got Stephen King's approval don't you think there would be ALOT more IT speculation? Universal avoided any mention of Stephen King in the press releases about the maze, and why? Because he didn't approve anything. King was not involved in the deal with Universal and if anything, bringing The Shining to the event without his permission, though he hated the film and wants nothing to do with it, it would probably piss him off and make him want to never give us any mazes based on the properties he owns even more. He doesn't own Kubrick's version of The Shining, so he wasn't involved. 

The reason they haven't made the maze before is probably the same reason with The Exorcist, as stated by Aiello in a podcast I listened to last year (forgot the name), is that the rights simply weren't available. Warner Brothers and Universal have a good relationship now because of Potter so they granted us The Exorcist last year when the rights became available. In the podcast Mike even said that they came to him and John and told them that the rights for The Exorcist were finally available. Due to the success of The Exorcist maze and most likely the rights becoming available for the parks to use, they gave us The Shining, and King was NOT INVOLVED!

• Like 7

Yeah, I think the fact that it's the Kubrick version of 'The Shining' means that King has no say over it, as he signed over the rights in that regard to the movie studio.
However, if he ever were to have a change of heart regarding letting his property be used for Haunts, I'd ADORE the idea of an 'It' House. It's my favorite of his books that I've read, and the various environments (i.e. the Barrens, the town dump, the house on Neibolt Street, and of course the sewers) and monsters in it would fit perfectly into a House!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lar6767 said:

Have you noticed that it's called Stanley Kubrick's The Shining and that King isn't mentioned at all? 

King disowned Kubrick's The Shining. Kubrick's estate owns the rights to the version we are getting. It is Kubrick's estate that would have finally given permission, not King. There's probably rights owned by a studio somewhere in there as well. 

Even if King didn't own the rights to the movie, someone does own those rights. They are the ones who finally gave permission.

King has repeatedly stated he does not like haunted houses and will not approve his works for use in them. King hates Kubrick's version of The Shining. Working around him using a legal loophole (that's what they did) to gain access to his creations will not ingratiate him towards them. Universal just burnt a bridge. King will dig in his heals. Any works that he has any type of pull with will not end up as haunted houses. 

I may seem pessimistic, but I have always felt pursuing and doing a house in this fashion was a hope killer. I would rather be wrong, but this killed all optimism (even delusional optimism) I had. 

By the way, there won't be a second It movie unless the first is a success. I'm not sure why people seem to feel a second movie is guaranteed. (I've been following the It movie since it was originally optioned in 09. There are several articles explaining that the second movie isn't guaranteed.)

EDIT:

"So, even though the second movie is still planned, if the first one bombs at the box office, you can expect the second one to quietly shuffle off into the land of movies that never were. What that means is IT won't likely end on a cliffhanger."

https://www.google.com/amp/movieweb.com/amp/it-movie-rated-r-it-2-still-happening/

• Like 3

On 7/1/2017 at 6:59 AM, mz_ said:

I received an email maybe an hour later or so, it wasn't right away. 

If you signed up, you can click on "Soul Collectors" in the top navigation bar (desktop) on the website.

I signed up for it a couple days ago, and still haven't gotten the email from them.

1 minute ago, Nightcrawler said:

I signed up for it a couple days ago, and still haven't gotten the email from them.

SAME! Also had to fake zip code as in the UK and it would only accept US zip codes not UK post codes. Hope if any goodies get sent via post I still get it (have a feeling they may send badges to identify other "soul collectors")

32 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

SAME! Also had to fake zip code as in the UK and it would only accept US zip codes not UK post codes. Hope if any goodies get sent via post I still get it (have a feeling they may send badges to identify other "soul collectors")

Same here. Still haven't got mine either. I want my goodies!

11 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Seems like a lot of people know a whole lot about King.... all we know if as of RIGHT NOW he doesnt want his work at haunts. Lets not pretend we know anything past that. Maybe we can start a "King Speculation" thread.

That would be a waste of a thread for now. Let's wait until there's actual speculation that there's a chance it could show up at the event.

1 minute ago, MKDean19 said:

That would be a waste of a thread for now. Let's wait until there's actual speculation that there's a chance it could show up at the event.

I was kinda being a sarcastic prick. Too many people acting like they are sitting next to King typing what he is saying. Fact is as of last year "Kings work will NEVER be at HHN as long as he is alive". Now we are looking at The Shining in a couple months. Yeah I get its Kubrick version and all that goes with that but there are loop holes everywhere. Let not pretend that The Shining isnt his. Never say never!

****This passive-aggressive post brought to you from a very tired and crabby PeoriaBJJ who doesnt want to be at work!****

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

To clarify the "You've been Summoned" e-mails...

I believe these were all sent out to people that had already signed up to receive marketing e-mails from HHN and/or Universal Orl.

They were sent out after the website had been updated, that's why there's the appearance of a response to sacrificing your souls for those of us that signed up quickly.

For example: My wife received one around 2:30 that day, but she didn't sign up on the website until about 5:30 when she got home from work.

15 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I was kinda being a sarcastic prick. Too many people acting like they are sitting next to King typing what he is saying. Fact is as of last year "Kings work will NEVER be at HHN as long as he is alive". Now we are looking at The Shining in a couple months. Yeah I get its Kubrick version and all that goes with that but there are loop holes everywhere. Let not pretend that The Shining isnt his. Never say never!

****This passive-aggressive post brought to you from a very tired and crabby PeoriaBJJ who doesnt want to be at work!****

You're right! I'd love to be open minded about his work coming to the event. Your post about the loopholes actually makes me want to find where the rights are on the stuff that's been adapted to film.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

Any lawyers on here who know a thing or two about IP law? Lol. 

Think in the UK literary works copywrite is death plus 70 years. If that's the same in the US we may not see anything soon....

Same here... 70 years.

2 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

Any lawyers on here who know a thing or two about IP law? Lol. 

Think in the UK literary works copywrite is death plus 70 years. If that's the same in the US we may not see anything soon....

I am no expert by far, but I took some legal classes in collage.

It really all depends on the actual contract signed but, typically when rights are signed over to a media company (for movie, TV, etc), that company reserves the rights to any further merchandising, advertising, etc. That gives them the freedom to treat the property as they see fit, rather than argue back and forth with the creator(s).

That's why you see some notoriously difficult to work with creators completely drop support for media projects, but they continue on without their full consent. Think Alan Moore and The Watchmen movie, or V for Vendetta.

This would be especially true earlier on in their careers. King obviously has the cache to demand much tougher restrictions now, but when Carrie or The Shining were originally made, he was much younger and not in the position to make such demands.

1 hour ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Seems like a lot of people know a whole lot about King.... all we know if as of RIGHT NOW he doesnt want his work at haunts. Lets not pretend we know anything past that. Maybe we can start a "King Speculation" thread.

Just to clarify, I'm not pretending to know things when I say King is unhappy with this turn of events.  

They can't use his name in association with the event. I think that says all we need to know about his feelings regarding this. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Same here... 70 years.

Gulp...... They better start working those loopholes. Or it could be at least Halloween Horror Nights 100 before we see anything like a mashup house. I'll be dead before that happens :lol::lol:

5 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Just to clarify, I'm not pretending to know things when I say King is unhappy with this turn of events.  

They can't use his name in association with the event. I think that says all we need to know about his feelings regarding this. 

Im just being snarky! I wasn't singling anyone out. You bring a TON to this place! Your hard work in researching all things HHN are very much appreciated! Seriously!

• Like 2

Just now, PeoriaBJJ said:

Im just being snarky! I wasn't singling anyone out. You bring a TON to this place! Your hard work in researching all things HHN are very much appreciated! Seriously!

I just wanted to clarify. 

My post isn't speculation this time. I've heard my spec on why the announcement was delayed is correct. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Let not pretend that The Shining isnt his. Never say never!

Kubrick's Shining, in a very real way, ISN'T King's. 

5 minutes ago, RevFreako said:

Kubrick's Shining, in a very real way, ISN'T King's. 

I get that the translation to screen upset people, including King himself, but its a movie based on a book, by Stevie King. No way around that. Kings characters, Kings vision. Stanely made a great horror film. But King wrote a incredible book. Without one there isnt the other. Thats all Im saying. Literally everyone that has seen the movie knows that its a Stephen King story.

But enough of the King stuff.... if we are gonna complain (Im in the mood today sorry) lets complain about marketing and the lack of info thus far. I will say though i dig the website!

11 hours ago, TheLadyGator said:

FYI, the fiancé and I visited Universal tonight and a team member all but officially confirmed the Scarecrow/Dustbowl house. I pressed him about others but he didn't know. 

more importantly did u bring the wine rack bra? lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I get that the translation to screen upset people, including King himself, but its a movie based on a book, by Stevie King. No way around that. Kings characters, Kings vision. Stanely made a great horror film. But King wrote a incredible book. Without one there isnt the other. Thats all Im saying. Literally everyone that has seen the movie knows that its a Stephen King story.

But enough of the King stuff.... if we are gonna complain (Im in the mood today sorry) lets complain about marketing and the lack of info thus far. I will say though i dig the website!

The relative qualities of the film and the movie are beside the point, although I disagree with nearly every assertion you've made on that front, you don't want to argue it, so we won't. I mean legally, IP-wise, King can't say boo. Warner owns Kubrick's Shining lock, stock and barrel - It's not King's to license, approve, or in any other way endorse.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, RevFreako said:

The relative qualities of the film and the movie are beside the point. I mean legally, IP-wise, King can't say boo. Warner owns Kubrick's Shining lock, stock and barrel - It's not King's to license, approve, or in any other way endorse.

Agreed for sure. Maybe Uni will knocks the Shining out of the park and King sees it and is like "ok good work. I'll let you make a Cujo house"!

A fan can dream!!!! How sick would a Cujo house be??????

• Like 1