HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

On 8/25/2017 at 3:36 PM, QueenoftheBunnies said:

This this 100% all of this. 

Also, there are so many negative comments on here good lord people. Use your energy for something better than endless bitching on a forum for a Halloween event. 

yeah, everyone should use their energy to instead speculate endlessly and blindly praise  a company on a forum for a halloween event lol,, only positive opinions allowed lol :lol:

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, clash said:

yeah, everyone should use their energy to instead speculate endlessly and blindly praise  a company on a forum for a halloween event lol,, only positive opinions allowed lol :lol:

My opinion is that the stupid "Is HHN gud debate?" comes up every update and it's a drag to read through now . Both sides are throwing the same, basically correct points. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Fortune 20 company if this is a dick measuring contest.  

And if you delivered the results that HHN has, you would NOT be lambasted.  You'd be given a big fat bonus.  

HHN budgets/profits are small potatoes compared to the budgets I work with.  But I digress...

Marketing for HHN hasn't gotten better.  It's gotten worse.  Whether you think they 'need to market' or not isn't the issue.  Unless you have exact figures to share about how much money Universal (Comcast) is making from this, I'd say that what we're seeing is disorganization and a real lack of unified effort.

• Like 4

I still feel like Universal doesnt know it has grown up.  They are a direct competitor to Disney now, but SO many of their decisions make them look like they are a secondary park.  They close at like 6 or 7 PM in the off season?   Last year I went to get dinner at I think 10 pm and could not find but one place that was serving, granted it was a Tuesday or Wed night, but still, it was during HHN week.  I held a season pass for almost 20 years, and I live in NJ.  Had the Premier pass with my picture on it until last year since many of the benefits we USED to have such as free Valet parking durning HHN and other items were removed with barely any notice.  Moved down to the Medium level pass last year since they finally moved back to a plastic pass over the paper ones they did for so long. 

As far as HHN goes, Universal just hasn't done anything in my opinion to step up their game.  They should be escalating innovation to include Holograms, making the houses have things that no one else does, start including extreme houses to escalate the experience (like they did last year, their extreme house was a great innovation), and they need to go back to the model where you pay by the night, not the month.  Yes, I realize many people like the monthly pass model, and if you are local, it is great.  But when you have tens of thousands of people in the parks now, you just have TOO many people in these events which detracts from the whole thing in my opinion.  And Yes, I realize Universal makes a crud load more money on booze and food purchases than the ticket purchases which is why they moved over to the weekly, and monthly pass model.  

Yearly events should be standardized to be release on a certain day, they should follow a standardized model and the release of the information should be done at a single POC so everytone is in the know.   Then market it with reliable dates of release.  

Won't be going this year, and only the second time in like 20 years I cant/wont be attending.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikekilpatrick said:

I still feel like Universal doesnt know it has grown up.  They are a direct competitor to Disney now, but SO many of their decisions make them look like they are a secondary park.  They close at like 6 or 7 PM in the off season?   Last year I went to get dinner at I think 10 pm and could not find but one place that was serving, granted it was a Tuesday or Wed night, but still, it was during HHN week.  I held a season pass for almost 20 years, and I live in NJ.  Had the Premier pass with my picture on it until last year since many of the benefits we USED to have such as free Valet parking durning HHN and other items were removed with barely any notice.  Moved down to the Medium level pass last year since they finally moved back to a plastic pass over the paper ones they did for so long. 

As far as HHN goes, Universal just hasn't done anything in my opinion to step up their game.  They should be escalating innovation to include Holograms, making the houses have things that no one else does, start including extreme houses to escalate the experience (like they did last year, their extreme house was a great innovation), and they need to go back to the model where you pay by the night, not the month.  Yes, I realize many people like the monthly pass model, and if you are local, it is great.  But when you have tens of thousands of people in the parks now, you just have TOO many people in these events which detracts from the whole thing in my opinion.  And Yes, I realize Universal makes a crud load more money on booze and food purchases than the ticket purchases which is why they moved over to the weekly, and monthly pass model.  

Yearly events should be standardized to be release on a certain day, they should follow a standardized model and the release of the information should be done at a single POC so everytone is in the know.   Then market it with reliable dates of release.  

Won't be going this year, and only the second time in like 20 years I cant/wont be attending.  

How many times do you think locals  with month passes go? in the month? im curious to see your answer. I want to reply more, but I am curious as to what you think locals do in the event. 

in your opinion, what do you think the regular visitors for a regular day are? as far as locals and non locals (And as far as month pass holders and single day visitors) 

Edited by clash
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mikekilpatrick said:

As far as HHN goes, Universal just hasn't done anything in my opinion to step up their game.  They should be escalating innovation to include Holograms, making the houses have things that no one else does, start including extreme houses to escalate the experience (like they did last year, their extreme house was a great innovation), and they need to go back to the model where you pay by the night, not the month.

Last year's extreme house? Did I miss something?

Edited by Ringwraith

18 minutes ago, StupidStupidDan said:

I think they're referencing The Repository. 

I didn't get a chance to go in that one. Did the scareactors touch or "abuse" the guests or was it physically demanding? I know a waiver was signed, but after reading the  reviews for it, I wasn't sure what for.

On 8/26/2017 at 7:02 PM, blueoktober said:

Yes, there was a couple of houses here and there but they most certainly were not the driving force that made the event what it is today.

Agreed. People falsely equate, "Because HHN is most popular today, and today we have IPs, therefore IPs made the event." Nonsense. As you said the original content drove the event, largely. Its popularity also grew as a natural consequence of getting national recognition, as a consequence of increasing population, as a consequence of the fact people enjoy haunted attractions.

On 8/26/2017 at 9:20 PM, vp4VP said:

Back when I first started following the event there wasn't many IP's being used. The website used to be awesome and I would check it all summer for updates and backstories. Now with that stated, I don't believe we would have Horror Nights on the scale we have today if it wasn't for IP's. We would still have the event and die hard fans but times have changed. 

So you got hooked by the non-original content but then claim HHN is where it's at because of the IPs? Hmm...

On 8/26/2017 at 9:20 PM, vp4VP said:

'm not saying we should settle but I am saying don't get lost in nostalgia.

Trust us, it's not nostalgia. The event was noticeably different in feel and quality.

On 8/26/2017 at 9:58 PM, Oysterhead00 said:

And if you delivered the results that HHN has, you would NOT be lambasted.  You'd be given a big fat bonus.  

A bit fat bonus for when the Creative Director of the event went on a tweet spree saying, "We hear you fans!" because of how shitty the marketing was and still is?

• Like 2

To respond to the first part of this thread, I have often read people will go to the event, stand in line for a couple hours, hit one or two houses, then come back the next night or next week to hit other houses.  Basically stretch out the event over 4-6 weeks.  Good social activities and Universal I am sure loves the revenue from drinks, food, parking, etc. 

And to the second part, Yes, there was touching in the Repository, but no type of abuse.  It was what the houses SHOULD be, but CANT be due to the massive crowds.  You had an individual immersive experience that allowed you to become part of the house.  The VR was a little gimmicky, the puzzle solving was convoluted, but the overall experience was progressive and a good start. Universal should EXPAND on this and start developing more of these houses on a fee per house basis to allow more individual tailoring at a price which will support the project, but limit crowds.  Such a pleasure not to be in a Single, non ending line with no spaces and to make you feel "part" of the experience. 

They should add to this Holograms and the best technology out there to step up their game in my opinion.  This would keep the massive crowd houses in place and then allow the next generation of the event to mature. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 10:17 PM, ForeverEvil1 said:

My opinion is that the stupid "Is HHN gud debate?" comes up every update and it's a drag to read through now . Both sides are throwing the same, basically correct points. 

You're right, it does. But this year is so bad in terms of how they're handling the event that no one could deny it.

1 hour ago, Ringwraith said:

I didn't get a chance to go in that one. Did the scareactors touch or "abuse" the guests or was it physically demanding? I know a waiver was signed, but after reading the  reviews for it, I wasn't sure what for.

It was not an 'extreme' house in the same way other haunts have done. SAs had major interaction which did include some touching but it was mostly gentle/nonviolent. The VR was the selling point, not that it was 'extreme'. Compared to some escape rooms I've done (it had those elements as well), Repository was rather tame. 

Does anyone else think they are going to keep some of the houses under wraps until employee preview or opening night? I know most people had their house orientations yesterday, so a reveal today makes sense--but I assume we're not getting one.