HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

59 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

Until Saw is officially announced I hope it's not coming. Appreciate that you need to cater for everyone's tastes (and if the rumoured list IS right it ticks nearly everything on my most wanted list), but for me the first Saw film was a great unique concept, but the second was just gore for gores sake. Not bothered watching the rest. However, if it is coming then I'll force myself to watch all of them before going. If you're gonna do HHN gotta do it right! Haha

I'm with you on this.  I liked the first one - at the time, a unique take on this kind of thing.  The second one.. meh.. after that, I didn't watch.  Annoyed that this may be coming back.  However, at least it's not The Walking Dead for the millionth time.  I have yet to hear a rumor that that overused crap pile is returning.  

54 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

However, at least it's not The Walking Dead for the millionth time.  I have yet to hear a rumor that that overused crap pile is returning.  

A while back there was word it was one of the options for a backup plan house, though thankfully it looks like they went "NOPE" on that and did the vampire theme backup instead.

I'm a big fan of the Saw movies.  Just big dumb fun movies with old school Fangoria type effects and not CGI crap (for the most part) but it's hard to make a house out of it based on the movies.

Did the first house a bunch of times....lets say 7 for the sake of discussion.  5 times were OK....not scary, but the aesthetics and attention to detail for the movie were really good and I appreciate that.  I appreciate it to the point that I focus on it and invite boo scares to get me.   1 time, after a storm, we went through and NOBODY was in the traps.  Other scareactors like the pigmasks were there, but stuff like the barbed wire trap was empty making it the most boring room in the history of HHN.  Doing a horse shoe conga line around some fake rubber barbed wire.  

The other time?  WOW.  We hit it perfectly and it was such an amazing house.  We hit every single scare and it was great.  Reminded me of Hellgate Prison from back in the day...when you didn't have quite the conga line, the scareactors interacted with you individually, and cursed at you (didn't cures in Saw, but just saying the immersion was off the meter).  

Just leads me to thinking that every house is intrinsically amazing and when tested and tweaked it's such a well oiled machine...but logistics might keep you from experiencing it.  Part of the reason I'm so glass half full and a defender of the event.  We usually go 3 or 4 nights in a row on our trip down and quite often houses I didn't care about the first couple nights will blow me away.

Anyway, hate the crapping on houses sight on scene.  If you go in expecting something to be crap, you'll find points to reinforce your opinion.  

• Like 7

Very true - if you are expecting something to be bad you go into it looking for faults. If you expect something to be awesome you go out your way to make it so. Guess the best thing to do is to go into it with an open mind. Having said that gory horror just makes me feel queasy. Psychological horror on the other hand.....

• Like 1

Was I one of the few to get the Victim in front of me in the Saw house?

It's an interesting little add to the immersion factor. Immediately knew the person was the Victim, but it added to the distracts. I was watching and waiting for her to be grabbed and attacked instead of truly paying attention to the house. Got a few good scares out of it. 

They may try it again for this new house since Purge had a Victim, too. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Was I one of the few to get the Victim in front of me in the Saw house?

It's an interesting little add to the immersion factor. Immediately knew the person was the Victim, but it added to the distracts. I was watching and waiting for her to be grabbed and attacked instead of truly paying attention to the house. Got a few good scares out of it. 

They may try it again for this new house since Purge had a Victim, too. 

I had the victim right in front of me in the purge house and it was the first time I had seen something like that in a haunt and that probably made me pretty biased towards that house compared to most other people especially people here. I thought it was someone cutting in line and then she got attacked I didn't see it coming at all. I talked about that for at least month after. I hope they do more if you catch it it's a great moment

Edited by MoonKnight
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, wow said:

What do you guys think is gonna be in the Bayou of Blood maze? I mean besides a human sacrifice and the Voodoo Queen what else is their to expect?

There's a local haunt nearby that has an attraction where the story is a voodoo priestess is calling up the dead in a typical above ground New Orleans cemetery and you happen to wander in the middle of the ritual. People start popping out of mausoleums, out of the ground, and worshippers of the priestess chasing you. That could be some of it

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Roadkill013 said:

I'm curious if the rumor of growing corn for the scarecrow maze is true. If so would we see a façade that resembles 14's field of screams?

If this maze looks anything like 16's Harvest of the Souls scare zone this will be my most anticipated house of the year. LOVED that scare zone.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

Hinted by Legacy on IU

I don't know how I missed that! This facade sounds like it's going to be amazing! 

56 minutes ago, Roadkill013 said:

I'm curious if the rumor of growing corn for the scarecrow maze is true. If so would we see a façade that resembles 14's field of screams?

I didn't get to experience field of screams, it was before my time but could the Scarecrow house we're getting be that scarezone reimagined as a house? I know probably not but I'm just curious.

17 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

I'm a big fan of the Saw movies.  Just big dumb fun movies with old school Fangoria type effects and not CGI crap (for the most part) but it's hard to make a house out of it based on the movies.

Did the first house a bunch of times....lets say 7 for the sake of discussion.  5 times were OK....not scary, but the aesthetics and attention to detail for the movie were really good and I appreciate that.  I appreciate it to the point that I focus on it and invite boo scares to get me.   1 time, after a storm, we went through and NOBODY was in the traps.  Other scareactors like the pigmasks were there, but stuff like the barbed wire trap was empty making it the most boring room in the history of HHN.  Doing a horse shoe conga line around some fake rubber barbed wire.  

The other time?  WOW.  We hit it perfectly and it was such an amazing house.  We hit every single scare and it was great.  Reminded me of Hellgate Prison from back in the day...when you didn't have quite the conga line, the scareactors interacted with you individually, and cursed at you (didn't cures in Saw, but just saying the immersion was off the meter).  

Just leads me to thinking that every house is intrinsically amazing and when tested and tweaked it's such a well oiled machine...but logistics might keep you from experiencing it.  Part of the reason I'm so glass half full and a defender of the event.  We usually go 3 or 4 nights in a row on our trip down and quite often houses I didn't care about the first couple nights will blow me away.

Anyway, hate the crapping on houses sight on scene.  If you go in expecting something to be crap, you'll find points to reinforce your opinion.  

Please don't think you ever have to tell me to have an open mind.  I am NOT one of those people who will ever go to this event "expecting crap".  NEVER.  HHN is my favorite thing of every year, and I go with much anticipation to see everything they've done.  I know they work hard to make this event great, and I love it.  I also know they have to please a wide variety of tastes, and sometimes certain things may not match my own.  So what?  There will be plenty there that will.  I'm good with that.

I was simply stating my personal preference when it comes to source material.  I loathe when a movie series starts getting into 5, 6, 7 or 8 versions.  I personally feel this shows a lack of creativity and thought, and it's usually a cash grab with garbage.  Nightmare on Elm Street was a great original movie, and by the time they stopped making sequels, it was a joke.  Same thing with Friday the 13th, Saw, Halloween, etc.  Some people like seeing the same thing over and over with a new version.  I don't.  Give me something new.  So, this was my thinking when I said I was disappointed t see Saw on the list.  It really had nothing to do with crapping on any house sight unseen.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MKDean19 said:

I didn't get to experience field of screams, it was before my time but could the Scarecrow house we're getting be that scarezone reimagined as a house? I know probably not but I'm just curious.

The Scarecrow Maze I have heard is a Reimagination of the Scare Zone Field of Screams as a Maze that takes place during the Dust Bowl.

Edited by HHNManics
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hunnylvr said:

HHN is my favorite thing of every year, and I go with much anticipation to see everything they've done.  I know they work hard to make this event great, and I love it.  I also know they have to please a wide variety of tastes, and sometimes certain things may not match my own.  So what?  There will be plenty there that will.  I'm good with that.

Absolutely agree. I'm always excited for some things more than others, but there have been a lot of times my favorite and least favorite houses have been the exact opposite of my expectations

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HHNManics said:

The Scarecrow Maze I have heard is a Reimagination of the Scare Zone Field of Screams as a Maze that takes place during the Dust Bowl.

Awesome! Just if that is the case I'll have to do as much research as I can on the old scarezone to see how it's evolved.

2 hours ago, Midnight Detective said:

Absolutely agree. I'm always excited for some things more than others, but there have been a lot of times my favorite and least favorite houses have been the exact opposite of my expectations

Me too.   I laugh when I think about reading the spec right here  on Nightmares about Gothic - that it had gargoyles and that would be the focus - and I thought (never said), "how stupid".  Of course, the house blew me away, and it's one of my top 5 houses in the 13 years I've been attending.  You just never know.  Although, Gothic was an original.. Saw is not.  But I won't go into it hating

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

Me too.   I laugh when I think about reading the spec right here  on Nightmares about Gothic - that it had gargoyles and that would be the focus - and I thought (never said), "how stupid".  Of course, the house blew me away, and it's one of my top 5 houses in the 13 years I've been attending.  You just never know.  Although, Gothic was an original.. Saw is not.  But I won't go into it hating

That's what I thought about Vamp '55. haha

• Like 1