Halloween Horror Nights 26 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

21 minutes ago, Jediwhit82 said:

I just checked the website and saw that Saturday dates are no longer listed for add on tickets. I usually do rush of fear and go for a four day weekend on the weekend of the 1st, flying down Thursday. What does the lack of Saturday add on tickets mean for Rush of Fear and the event in general?

Better not mean anything for Rush of Fear because I basically head down the same time and will be pissed if I get less than 4 days in with my RoF+Express!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Better not mean anything for Rush of Fear because I basically head down the same time and will be pissed if I get less than 4 days in with my RoF+Express!

I know, and I spring for express pass each time too. If I don't get Saturday then I might as well book a night at Not-So-Scary!

11 hours ago, Tich0las said:

Happy to hear Purge won't be a house!

Agree with those bold houses, criticalanalysis...except for Hitchcock. I understand why you guys wouldn't want it, but as a big Hitchcock fan-and having just watched 20 of his films in the past several months-I'd be happy to see creative give it a stab. 

Couldn't agree with you more. Hitchcock is fantastic and I've been a big fan of HHN's previous Psycho themed houses.

22 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Could not agree more! I am booked for 11 nights at Cabana Bay just so I can take even more advantage of my RoF+Express tickets for 8 nights!

Hoping they just took away addons for Saturdays because they don't want them to sell out at the "cheaper" price before they make a big deal about tickets being on sale. I'm sure there is a set number of each type of ticket and they might have been getting close to that number already for Saturdays. I know there was a lot of talk last year about a big ticket shakeup this year because they were simply offering WAY to many options and it was getting confusing. Feel like RoF, a "every night but Saturday's" ticket, normal ticket and addon tickets is all that is needed with each ticket type having the option to add express. If they remove RoF I don't know what I am going to do. Whole reason I picked the 2nd and 3rd week was to use that ticket!

• Like 1

On April 27, 2016 at 1:05 PM, hunnylvr said:

Never "This Is The End" - dumbest idea for HHN I've ever heard.  I still can't believe Hollywood did that.  Such crap.  I'd rather have five more years of TWD than that.

Not to start an argument but I'd like to rebuttal that. It sounds like you didn't experience the Hollywood house, if you did then mostly disregard this. I thought Hollywood did s good job with This Is The End, it was a fun apocalypse house with some really cool scenes.

I don't understand how it's the dumbest idea for an hhn house, it's an apocalypse movie featuring demons, the only reason people think it would be stupid and wouldn't work is because it's a Seth roger movie

2 hours ago, foodstampsFTW said:

Not to start an argument but I'd like to rebuttal that. It sounds like you didn't experience the Hollywood house, if you did then mostly disregard this. I thought Hollywood did s good job with This Is The End, it was a fun apocalypse house with some really cool scenes.

I don't understand how it's the dumbest idea for an hhn house, it's an apocalypse movie featuring demons, the only reason people think it would be stupid and wouldn't work is because it's a Seth roger movie

As someone who did go and did the house more than a few times due to the short line, I second this statement. It was just very reliant on timing. The first time we went in, we hit all the resets. Second time around, we had the house to ourselves and it was a ton of fun. Third time, we had it to ourselves with the exception of a group of middle aged adults behind us and THEY got hit with the scares which made it funnier for us. It wasn't flawless by any means, but it wasn't the worst either.

Edited by peasoupprincess
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, peasoupprincess said:

As someone who did go and did the house more than a few times due to the short line, I second this statement. It was just very reliant on timing. The first time we went in, we hit all the resets. Second time around, we had the house to ourselves and it was a ton of fun. Third time, we had it to ourselves with the exception of a group of middle aged adults behind us and THEY got hit with the scares which made it funnier for us. It wasn't flawless by any means, but it wasn't the worst either.

Judging by only the video I found on Youtube, it looked like a pretty fun house to me. 

Just now, TheGreatDicktator said:

Judging by only the video I found on Youtube, it looked like a pretty fun house to me. 

It absolutely was! My friend group quotes the movie all the time, so maybe we were a little biased. But my stomach honestly hurt from laughing the whole time. (Whether that was laughing at the little things planted around the maze or all of us getting hit with the scares.) My only disappointment with it was the missed opportunity to have to ummm.. gifted demon from the end as a puppet. But you know. 13 year olds, their moms, and their delicate sensitivities. <_<

• Like 1

12 hours ago, peasoupprincess said:

Second time around, we had the house to ourselves... Third time, we had it to ourselves with the exception of a group of middle aged adults behind us...

"had it to ourselves"... I wish Orlando had that possibility. The only way I could imagine that happening would be if someone literally sprinted across the park when it 1st opened and maybe was 1 of the 1st groups to enter. Once it's dark out, it would have to be an apocalyptic rainstorm to even have a chance to have a house to ourselves (even then it would be doubtful). It must be nice to not have lines now and then. I've never witnessed anything like that in my past 6 visits to Orlando.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

"had it to ourselves"... I wish Orlando had that possibility. The only way I could imagine that happening would be if someone literally sprinted across the park when it 1st opened and maybe was 1 of the 1st groups to enter. Once it's dark out, it would have to be an apocalyptic rainstorm to even have a chance to have a house to ourselves (even then it would be doubtful). It must be nice to not have lines now and then. I've never witnessed anything like that in my past 6 visits to Orlando.

Last year I went end of the night on a Sunday, I had an hour left and sprinted across(with express and did) American werewolf in London, Run, Freddy vs Jason, and Body Collectors in under an hour. I literally Ran through Run and got it alone. I also got into like of Body Collectors completely alone. I wasn't even with friends or any thing, it was really amazing, especially walking into Shadybrook with the snowstorm.

51 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Man, I actually experienced it quite a bit in 2009. I went opening weekend though, and one of those nights was, as you said, an 'apocalyptic rainstorm.' It was awesome. We went through WolfMan AND Frankenstein basically alone. If was awesome, but damn those actors fucked with us hard core (no complaints though!) 

• Like 1

I've closed out the event Thurs-Sun at all different times of the event (since 2010) and at no point have I been alone. Granted, at the end of the night the lines for some houses are definitely shorter. However, there are still lines (especially non-express). As long as there are people (and there always are until closing), there is a steady stream of guests going through the houses. If not, someone isn't doing their job right. 

To ^.... Which Sunday night did you go last year? If I read correctly, you usually go the 1st weekend in October? If there wasn't 1 person in line with you in October (even early) that is pretty incredible in my opinion.

For those of you who have been going to the event since Sept 11th, 2001... How busy was it that year? I was working down by Disney when the attack occurred and our business took a massive nosedive overnight. The whole area was like a ghost town (in comparison to normal) for weeks after. I know 2001 wasn't as busy as nowadays to begin with, but I'm just curious.

On a side note, while I've never been through a HHN house alone, my wife and I did go through a haunted attraction called Bennett's Curse in Maryland (http://bennettscurse.com/) alone. That was pretty damn awesome. That place is one of my all-time favorites. It had the longest pitch-black maze area (with scare actors wearing night vision goggles) I've ever been through. It's unfortunate that Universal could never do anything like that (unless it was an upcharge house).

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

24 minutes ago, _Veritas_ said:

Man, I actually experienced it quite a bit in 2009. I went opening weekend though, and one of those nights was, as you said, an 'apocalyptic rainstorm.' It was awesome. We went through WolfMan AND Frankenstein basically alone. If was awesome, but damn those actors fucked with us hard core (no complaints though!) 

Exact same thing happened to my wife and I in 2009!!! And yes going through a house with one other person or a couple other people is pretty awesome.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

I've closed out the event Thurs-Sun at all different times of the event (since 2010) and at no point have I been alone. Granted, at the end of the night the lines for some houses are definitely shorter. However, there are still lines (especially non-express). As long as there are people (and there always are until closing), there is a steady stream of guests going through the houses. If not, someone isn't doing their job right. 

To ^.... Which Sunday night did you go last year? If I read correctly, you usually go the 1st weekend in October? If there wasn't 1 person in line with you in October (even early) that is pretty incredible in my opinion.

I did go the first weekend of October. The employee actually closed off the line right after me, so it was VERY end of the night. There was actually one couple in front of me, but i stood and waited as soon as I saw and waited until i heard their screams from the first body collector who comes out of the window. Then I walked into the asylum as the thunder flashed one last time.

4 minutes ago, Jediwhit82 said:

I did go the first weekend of October. The employee actually closed off the line right after me, so it was VERY end of the night. There was actually one couple in front of me, but i stood and waited as soon as I saw and waited until i heard their screams from the first body collector who comes out of the window. Then I walked into the asylum as the thunder flashed one last time.

I've never been the last person in the line at the end of the night. That is interesting. I wonder if there is a way I could manage to pull something like that off. I guess it would mostly be luck??? I've often wondered what they do with the non-express line once it's very close to closing time. Do they rope off at a point and whoever is behind gets the shaft, or do they let everyone who is left in the line from the entrance go through? 

6 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

I've never been the last person in the line at the end of the night. That is interesting. I wonder if there is a way I could manage to pull something like that off. I guess it would mostly be luck??? I've often wondered what they do with the non-express line once it's very close to closing time. Do they rope off at a point and whoever is behind gets the shaft, or do they let everyone who is left in the line from the entrance go through? 

I had just finished doing Freddy Vs Jason, I looked left from the exit then saw that there was literally no one in line, so i sprinted back to the entrance of body collectors. That couple I mentioned actually came in behind me, but i let them go in front(most people wont turn down getting ahead in line). I would imagine that you could just take the last ten minutes and start standing a few feet from the entrance of which ever house you want at about 1:55 am and be able to time it right. In fact, it was an accident when i did it last time, but i am definitely going to try that on TCM this year. I'll probably start actually running, and if i don't run, I sure will curse ALOT being alone with that family.

On April 27, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Mels Oughta Be In Pictures said:

I fully agree that a compilation Hitchcok house could be fantastic. There's enough iconic scary scenes in his filmography to make a really interesting house, if and only if they abandon some house tropes. It couldn't be tremendously dark and it couldn't be tremendously loud. It would have to be heavy on atmosphere and light on in your face scares, which leads me to believe they won't go for it. 

Still, it could be really cool if they were careful. 

I would love to see the ending from Marnie. Red lights flashing every where while a girl murders a gentleman caller with a fireplace poker.

Honestly, we went on a Thursday night and managed to get every maze and TT done before 8:30 thanks to early entry. My dad usually comes with us every year and he got there later than us, so I got to do most of the mazes twice! He wanted to do Walking Dead and that had a huge line, so I chose to wait for him. I only ended up doing TITE the third time because I had the James Franco party invite that they were giving out and wanted a picture of it with the facade in the back. There was literally nobody in line. The guys at the front started to make fun of me as I was walking away and I was like "I've done it twice, already!!!" and they were like "Oh come onnnnn. What? Are you scared?" I'm way too freaking prideful to let them keep clucking at me, at this point. Like I said, I ended up with the other family behind me anyways because I was taking my time. (Like you all have said, how often do you get a maze to yourself??) But I got dogged on super hard up until the other family caught up and I loved it. The demon at the very end got the woman behind me and it scared her so hard she fell on me, which ended up scaring me in turn. lmao

22 hours ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

For those of you who have been going to the event since Sept 11th, 2001... How busy was it that year? I was working down by Disney when the attack occurred and our business took a massive nosedive overnight. The whole area was like a ghost town (in comparison to normal) for weeks after. I know 2001 wasn't as busy as nowadays to begin with, but I'm just curious.

On a side note, while I've never been through a HHN house alone, my wife and I did go through a haunted attraction called Bennett's Curse in Maryland (http://bennettscurse.com/) alone. That was pretty damn awesome. That place is one of my all-time favorites. It had the longest pitch-black maze area (with scare actors wearing night vision goggles) I've ever been through. It's unfortunate that Universal could never do anything like that (unless it was an upcharge house).

I remember 2001 as steady, but not as busy as it was in 2000. We went on October 12th that year. The longest waits we had were about an hour and a half, for The Mummy Returns, Superstitions, and Pitch Black. We did all the houses, plus Bill & Ted, something we could not achieve in 2000. 

As far as going through a house alone, I've managed quite a few houses alone the past few years. Havoc: Derailed, I did alone quite a few times. For LT, for some reason, that house just didn't scan right for me. On two separate days, trying to get my badges, I did the house alone. Usually multiple times, as to get the correct badges, I would get out and get right back in. Both times, was at the start of the night. That same year, I did La Llorona, Afterlife, and Evil Dead alone. Evil Dead, I remember was at the end of the night. 

Dead End, Dracula Untold, AVP, Terror Mines, and Winter's Night, are a few others I can think of off the top of my head. Most of the time, it was at the end of the night. I remember Afterlife, was at the start of the night. 

I went into RUN last year alone twice and it was awesome! The first night I was wearing a TheTimTracker t-shirt and the guys in the first room blocked the door and got right in my face and started yelling at me "Where is Tim?" and I just kept saying I am not sure. Finally after what felt like 10 minutes (probably 30 secs) they said "You get your a** on twitter and tell him he better bring that mustache of his into this house so I can chop it off". It was so funny. Later on during that same run in the Canada section, the guy on the table saw summoned me over to the saw, positioned me where he wanted me to stand and had me press the button to trigger the water effect. He then started laughing and yelling "Did you just wet yourself because it sure looks like it". Besides those two moments that really stuck with me, both runs included a lot more "personal" scares. Was followed a few times, got yelled at a bunch for being alone and had a few more, less memorable moments with different actors.

Last year in general felt a lot more "personal" to me. Multiple encounters in the streets that I will never forget. By far the best thing I have witnessed in a scarezone happened with the prison chainsaw girls. What was exchanged was quite shocking in a "I didn't think they could say that" type of way (and they probably can't). Not sure what the rules are on language on this forum so will try and keep it somewhat PG. Basically a scareactor was getting really up close and in the face of a female guest whose boyfriend/husband was not helping protect her. The actor first called out the boyfriend for being a chicken and they just kept quickly walking. They walked quite a distance with the actor just following them from behind getting right up next to them. She finally lets the chainsaw go which goes the boyfriend to literally toss his girlfriend into the actor while he bolted. The female guest touched the female actor's breast by accident and the actors reaction that followed was priceless. She started yelling "Did you just touch my t**ty? Bi*ch, did you just touch my t**ty?" she kept yelling this a few times while the guest ran after her boyfriend. She ended with "I don't know where you going. This is prison rules bi*ch. I own you know. Plus, from the looks of it, you got more action from me than your boyfriend will ever give you. I have never seen a man run away from a women so fast in all my life. I will protect you t**ty lover." I was laughing so hard I was crying. The actor walked over to me and a few other people that witnessed what just happened and she asked us if we saw her touch her and we all said yes. She yelled one more time to the female guest "I got witnesses! I own you know and I will find you. Your mine". I had to walk away because who knows what she would have said if she saw me crying from laughter. 

Another happened in the New York area next to the big fire. I was just standing around watching the action and an actor came up to me and said "I'm going to tell on you!" and I asked "why is that?". She said "Your breaking the law!". I was totally confused and gave her a confused look. She then pointed up a street sign for cars that said "no standing". It then clicked that I was just standing in one place and the sign said not to so I played along and started pacing back and forth. It then became a game between me and the actor for a good 30 minutes while I just hung out in the same area and every time she would come near me I would make sure I was moving. I moved across the street at one point and stood there and I didn't see a sign so I wanted to see what would happen. She walked up and started telling me I was a ruler breaker. Asked her what now and she looked around and didn't see a sign either and said "Oh, your sneaky. Don't worry, I will catch you breaking the rules one day. The doctors always said if we break the rules we get punished and I would love to see you punished!". 

It moments like these that made me fall in love with this event and the reason why I go and just hang out in the scarezones for an hour or more. Will hopefully get to go into a house solo again but its not an easy thing to have happen. 

• Like 2

LMAO! I definitely think the rules are subjective. On the Hollywood side I have definitely had some R rated interactions(some of which occurred when I was underage and had my dad with me) and those have all been my favorites/the most hilarious. Including but not limited to Chucky calling my now-ex a p***y for not being there with me and telling him I was doing the same thing Regan's mother does in Hell with other guys. Definitely got it on video. Definitely had my dad laughing his butt off the entire night. We also typically go on the last night of the season, so nobody on the scareactor side really seems to give a sh!t about the rules.

12 hours ago, Badge said:

Last year in general felt a lot more "personal" to me.

It moments like these that made me fall in love with this event and the reason why I go and just hang out in the scarezones for an hour or more. Will hopefully get to go into a house solo again but its not an easy thing to have happen. 

Weird.

I thought that last year's scare zones were the least personal of the years I've attended. This was mainly the case because it seemed like whenever we went through them, they were extremely crowded (especially Scary Tales, All Nite Die-In, and the 1 in Central Park). Although I will say that they did get me 1 time really good though. Down near the Simpson's area there was a clown with a chainsaw hiding behind a wall/pillar. As I walked towards him around the corner, he did a swinging chainsaw attack that was aimed straight at my throat (he almost hit me with it). I didn't even see the actor, just the chainsaw coming right at my neck. It was kinda funny because I went into a blocking stance (thai) to block it. As I walked away laughing, I was like... good thing that wasn't real, because my arms/hands would have just been chopped off.

As far as the going solo theme... Last year we went back to Howl O' Scream (Tampa) and found that a couple of the houses there were more enjoyable than many of the HHN ones. We really liked Death Water Bayou and Unearthed: Scarlett's Revenge as well as the Zombie Containment Unit (for the fun factor). Because it wasn't as busy as HHN, it seemed less rushed (except for the Zombie Containment Unit) and it allowed your group to basically go solo. The houses also seemed significantly darker inside which helped. Most importantly (in my opinion), there wasn't a security person at every turn basically pushing you through the house. If they had a larger budget and changed all their houses (or most) each year, they might give HHN a run for their money. Unfortunately, the odds of that happening aren't very likely.

I agree though that the "moments" you mentioned are what makes the event great. Last year, for whatever reason, I didn't seem to stumble across many of them. Hopefully this year I'll be luckier.

On April 29, 2016 at 0:16 PM, ThNdIzNiR said:

We used to get it like that all the time -- before early arrivals. Right as the park opened, we'd often be the first people through a few of the houses. Then right before closing, we'd get it that way again. Those days are long gone now, though. 

Personally, I miss the really old scare zones that weren't crammed with people. It was just lots of fog and tons of scareactors. It was damn near impossible to see.