Halloween Horror Nights 25 Wishful Thinking

Legacy

Um... From Dusk Till Dawn wasn't about drawing the Latin community. It was a film they've always wanted to do, and the new series gave Creative a chance to do it. If La Llorona was truly draw that market, it was pretty misguided. You can look back at the threads discussing it, but a majority of Florida's Hispanic population is Cuban... Which isn't near as wrapped up in the legend.

So TWD last night was brutal. Brutally boring. But it rained for the second time in the show... ever. Probably be a cool room in the house.

Tell me about it. Probably one of the most boring in recent memory. I kept waiting for it to get better, but it never happened.

I thought the same thing about the storm/barn. That will definitely be in the house if TWD returns this year.

I wrote up a breakdown of what I expect this year. Hope you enjoy.

Nice piece...

I agree with the gist of what you wrote. The only thing I can't agree with is making AHS an extreme house. I agree with the why it would solve the ratings issues, but I just can't imagine Universal taking what could be one of their biggest draws and using it as a side bonus attraction. There are only so many people that can physically go through an extreme house, so unless they were charging some completely obscene amount to go through it, would it be worth it? Sure it would sell out immediately, but all the other fans who feel like they are already paying an arm and a leg will feel awfully shocked when they realize they have to pay extra to see AHS. They'll fee even worse when they give in and pull their wallet out, at which time they find out that it's sold out. Imagine the disappointment when all these people don't get to see what could be the house they've been waiting for the past couple years.

Nice piece...

I agree with the gist of what you wrote. The only thing I can't agree with is making AHS an extreme house. I agree with the why it would solve the ratings issues, but I just can't imagine Universal taking what could be one of their biggest draws and using it as a side bonus attraction. There are only so many people that can physically go through an extreme house, so unless they were charging some completely obscene amount to go through it, would it be worth it? Sure it would sell out immediately, but all the other fans who feel like they are already paying an arm and a leg will feel awfully shocked when they realize they have to pay extra to see AHS. They'll fee even worse when they give in and pull their wallet out, at which time they find out that it's sold out. Imagine the disappointment when all these people don't get to see what could be the house they've been waiting for the past couple years.

The only way to do a hard R/NC17 house is by making it an upcharge/extreme house. I'm assuming (by reading between the lines so to speak) that we haven't had an AHS house yet because the rights owners (Fox/FX/Murphy/whoever it is) won't budge on the ratings level for the house. They want a hard R house. Universal doesn't want a hard R house offered at their PG13 event. Extreme is the only option.

Well I agree with not liking the idea but from Universal's standpoint they can charge more than a regular ticket for less houses and it would sell out and bring people. It's a win win for them.

Realistically, AHS won't happen otherwise (as Mystique said). Also all the cool interactive things they showcased CAN'T happen in the conga line. They would have to figure out another avenue. LT is a great avenue them to upcharge. Most LT activity would take place in the add on event with the GP low-end ticket getting the scraps. But they honestly won't care if the fans feel jilted if it sells out... and it would. They would be happy with the fat stacks of cash.

• Like 1

If we were to get an AHS house, what season would it be based on? They could start from the first season, therefor allowing for future AHS houses. I personally would want coven or freak show more than anything. When I was watching coven last season, I noticed a lot of scenes that could be easily converted into scenes in a house. Freak show is also very good with scenes and characters.

Well I agree with not liking the idea but from Universal's standpoint they can charge more than a regular ticket for less houses and it would sell out and bring people. It's a win win for them.

Realistically, AHS won't happen otherwise (as Mystique said). Also all the cool interactive things they showcased CAN'T happen in the conga line. They would have to figure out another avenue. LT is a great avenue them to upcharge. Most LT activity would take place in the add on event with the GP low-end ticket getting the scraps. But they honestly won't care if the fans feel jilted if it sells out... and it would. They would be happy with the fat stacks of cash.

I wouldn't mind an upcharge experience tying into LT. Maybe even an age restricted experience. Just depends on how much the cost.

Price is part of the issue with using AHS vs Legendary Truth.

There is almost no possible way the ticket prices would be the same for both.

What would be the range?

Legendary Truth $25-$75

AHS $50-$125+ ?

They'd have to pay for the rights to use AHS right? How many tickets would need to be sold to cover the amount of profit Universal would want to make on this endeavor?

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

Price is part of the issue with using AHS vs Legendary Truth.

There is almost no possible way the ticket prices would be the same for both.

What would be the range?

Legendary Truth $25-$75

AHS $50-$125+ ?

They'd have to pay for the rights to use AHS right? How many tickets would need to be sold to cover the amount of profit Universal would want to make on this endeavor?

Why would there need to be separate charges? I could only see LT selling to the GP (not just the fans) as a package deal.

What I meant was for one or the other, not separate at different prices. I doubt they could get away with charging $125 for Legendary Truth, but I'm sure there are people that would pay that price for AHS. I'm just trying to imagine what the price ranges will be and how well it will be received by the general public.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

Well that is a complicated question. What would someone pay? Me personally? I probably wouldn't pay more than $30.00 more. I'm guessing they would settle somewhere in the $70.00 to $100.00 range for 3-5 houses regular price (basically the same as a normal ticket). But it's a huge guessing game without data.

I don't know if they are even planning that. It's just a hypothesis based on some rumors and on the trends in the market. Universal cannot compete with these gimmicky, extreme type haunts as they are just too big and too open to criticism. Not to mention everyone keeps saying it's not scary enough (even though I don't agree with these things being scary... majority rules). The only logical way to compete is to have a comparable product. They only way to have a comparable product is to limit attendance with price, age requirements, waivers, etc.

Also note Orlando laws would play into any kind of nudity vs alcohol. They cannot have alcohol sold where nudity is present. Even if it is a performing art. Honestly actual nudity, IMO, would open up a can of worms they may not want to touch. But excessive gore, Enhanced houses, gimmick houses, touching or more aggressive, maybe implied sexual acts, pasties, all seem fair game for them.

If you cut out under 18 attendees, No alcohol sold in that area, and waiver for the event, you would effectively reduce a great deal of the GP fodder attending. Heck I would pay 30.00 more if they cut alcohol and anyone under 18 at the REGULAR event.

• Like 4

Here's where we can really start having some fun, though. Considering the price of the event itself, I could see an "Extreme Pass" for 2 or more additional houses exceeding $100. If two of those houses are LT and AHS, people would absolutely pay.

I'd be floored if an extreme house was longer than 30 minutes, but let's say it is. And let's say each iteration starts at a 15 minute interval (more likely 10). But at 30 and 15, you could run 18 individuals between 7 and 11:30 on a non-peak night and make $1800 profit ($400 an hour). That's not much.

But let's look at Severe Fear. That concept had groups of 8 in each iteration. That's $14,400 for a non-peak night. Plus, they would purchase an event ticket.

Peak nights add an additional 8 iterations, and $5,600 a night.

That's a lot of extra cash for a single house. Add a house, you double the total number of individuals purchasing tickets and decrease the total number of available iterations marginally.

At a ten minute interval, it's $4,200 an hour in a single house. So, yeah... The money would be worth it.

• Like 2

$500k in extra income in a very rough estimate, but you didn't account for any expenses, and there are a ton of them. There would be even more if there were 2 houses for the same price. I didn't take into account the regular entrance fee, because I personally feel that the guests would more than likely already be attending anyways and this is an add on option. Who would be drawn to the event only for the extreme house? Or should I say, who would be willing to pay almost $200 to walk to the back of the park, run through it for 30 minutes, and then walk out?

I don't know how much Universal makes in profits for this event, but when I walk by the countless people standing in line knowing that each head probably represents a minimum of a $100 it seems mind blowing. I know there are those of you who make multiple visits, but there is no way that the average Joe is going more than a night or 2 at most.

Man... Tickets are going to end up costing close to $500 each with Frequent Fear w/express, Extreme house pass and the 2 Behind the Screams Tours.

I wonder just what level of extreme they could actually take it to, even with the signed waiver.

Have any of you been to this place?

McKamey Manor in San Diego

I've got to be honest, this place seems almost too extreme for my liking.

hehe... Yeah, I don't see Uinversal going down the McKamey road anytime soon.

It would certainly make sense for them to have an extreme house this year though. These types of houses are springing up everywhere, so why should Universal miss out on some additional income? If I had to guess, I'd be leaning more towards a Legendary Truth or some other original concept though. Although I'd love to see AHS Extreme, I'm not so sure my wallet would.

• Like 2