Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

JDW

Exactly, there are a lot of cool elements in the streets this year and I cannot remember any year where they just left Kid's zone to SF empty (OK OK 2007 :P).

They will put something back there. I would think if they don't do some cool Clown deal with some props they are missing an oppertunity I mean they have props just lying around from the bizzare's of the past. It could be like a mini Midway of the Bizzare... And everyone loved Midway. Still just clowns like they've done with zombies in the past would be fine.

They also have the area by HP in front for potential, both sides of the bride have been used, Kid zone/animal actors. I'm sure everything won't be empty.

this might be a dumb question that might have an obvious answer, But how come they don't bring out props and sets for the streets from years before? in a year like 2012, how come they didn't bring out some of the stuff from previous streets?

Is it because it would be too messy or wouldn't make sense? Do they destroy stuff? I think I would rather have streets that didn't make sense story wise rather than empty streets

They reuse and repurpose props all the time.

In 2012 they had the park-wide theme of a graveyard risen through the streets (which was caused by frilling for the foundation of RRR is combination with the the excavation of the Herc/Xena building) as the Iniquitus brought the bloodlines forth. So all the props were graveyard themed. Many of which came out of the Winter's Night house from the year before.

Well in the HHN info game, nothing is 100% until it happens. I really hate passing on wrong info, but it does happen from time to time. However, when I hear it from several sources I typically take it for true. It doesn't mean it is always right, and sometimes things get misunderstood and passed along wrong too.

For example, as Cassi can painfully tell you I'm sure, early reports said the clowns were steampunk. That does not seem to be the case but it's an industrial setting. I assume she just assumed and drew? had drawn? the steampunk clown hint she gave. I don't know though she disappeared.

But I've heard a few details about streets that seem to back it up. I've heard nothing of budget cuts this year... unless LT was cut because they were focusing the money elsewhere. I can't honestly say.

I still wonder what Cassi thought was planned with all of the "Who Am I?" clues about Dark Carnivals and Dust Witches. There were 4 or 5 clues devoted to that.

I guess people will find something to complain about no matter what. The bring scare zones back and it's not enoughbecause it's only four, if they gkept the format of the last couple of years then that's bad as well. It's like nothing's never good enough.

Still, many cool ideas in these boards, let's wait and see how it all plays out for those dead zones.

Edited by ghostdude

I still wonder what Cassi thought was planned with all of the "Who Am I?" clues about Dark Carnivals and Dust Witches. There were 4 or 5 clues devoted to that.

Perhaps there WAS supposed to be an icon or the return of Jack, however it was probably cut, in favor of saving Jack for the ol' 25TH Aniv.

There is no satisfying everyone. But even I have to agree that there are certain areas of the park that could use some work. Considering the amount of money I'll be spending there it would be nice to be fully immersed in Halloween/horror surroundings. They don't even need to go overboard with huge elaborate decorations, just have most of the park covered. Since they took out the Jaws ride, the back section of the park has been pretty much completely void of anything Halloween/horror related.

Like I said a while back...An example of what I'm talking about applies to Sting Alley last year. How in the world do you not take advantage of putting something scary in that alley?

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 1

I pay money as well to go, you're not the only one. That back of the park gets insanely crowded as the night goes along so i can see why they don't invest in scarezones or anything else for that matter. I'll agree with you on sting alley tho, the possibilities are endless there.

Perhaps there WAS supposed to be an icon or the return of Jack, however it was probably cut, in favor of saving Jack for the ol' 25TH Aniv.

Yeah, and there was the talk of the "Prop Master", but that was quickly shut down after it was reported to be scrapped. So they probably just saved that for next year, along with the other icons! That's almost always the case.

Edited by JackTheREAPER

In my opinion, (and maybe I'm alone in this) I would rather have them cut back 1 house and do a bunch more scare zones. When I look at the HHN 20 map, there were 6 scare zones (8 houses too). I see room for at least 3 more potential areas on top of that which could be converted into scarezones. There is a side street near Sting Alley that is basically deserted every night. I would love to see the Springfield area transformed into a Tree house of Horror theme for HHN. There is also the large area where the Bayou scarezone is going this year. (at HHN 20 I'm pretty sure the scarezone was mainly in the wooded area).

I really do think the scarezones set the whole feel of the event. If they are lacking, people are going to complain even more than they already do.

• Like 2

Yeah, and there was the talk of the "Prop Master", but that was quickly shut down after it was reported to be scrapped. So they probably just saved that for next year, along with the other icons! That's almost always the case.

The Propmaster is a concept that has been around since 2004 maybe earlier. they have a ton of unused icons. I'm still waiting for a few to surface.

I don't think Cassi was anyone other than a really dedicated (read as obsessed) fan who had inside info TBH. As much as I liked where her stories were going, I flat out asked some of the powers that be if they knew who she was and they denied knowledge.

• Like 3

In my opinion, (and maybe I'm alone in this) I would rather have them cut back 1 house and do a bunch more scare zones. When I look at the HHN 20 map, there were 6 scare zones (8 houses too). I see room for at least 3 more potential areas on top of that which could be converted into scarezones. There is a side street near Sting Alley that is basically deserted every night. I would love to see the Springfield area transformed into a Tree house of Horror theme for HHN. There is also the large area where the Bayou scarezone is going this year. (at HHN 20 I'm pretty sure the scarezone was mainly in the wooded area).

I really do think the scarezones set the whole feel of the event. If they are lacking, people are going to complain even more than they already do.

Cut a house in order to add one or two scare zones???? Not happening buddy, the MAJORITY of people go for the houses (me included), not scare zones.

Fanboys are gonna complain no matter what, misery loves company.

Edited by ghostdude

Cut a house in order to add one or two scare zones???? Not happening buddy, the MAJORITY of people go for the houses (me included), not scare zones.

Fanboys are gonna complain no matter what, misery loves company.

Gotta agree. Scarezones are cool but, I go for the houses in the end. Personally I find the numbers fine as they are.

• Like 2

I dont really care. Even if we had 7 houses and 5 scarezones i'd be sooo happy that SZ are back with no more walking deads zones!

Edit: i guess 4 sz and one purge sting alley add-on

Edited by Ande

I made a new map now that we know all the houses and scarezone. Please Note that the entrances to the soundstage houses MAY be incorrect as this is the first year houses will be in certain locations.

HHN24SpeculationMap-1.png

Looks good.

Is anyone else hoping that DU:RoB enters where AvP enters and they put the entrances to AvP and TWD right next to eachother so that they can have all the houses exit by the Twister gift shop? Because after last year's lines, that is what I am hoping for.

Cut back 1 house?!?!?!?!? Did you not go to HHN in 2012. They cut back 1 house and the lines were hell. By 8:00 PM each house had a minimum of 60 min wait. It wouldn't be worth cutting a house to add a couple of scarezones. I enjoy them and I think they play a big role in the event, but adding more won't help them. As long as all the scarezones aren't the same theme...I'm looking at you "TWD".......then I'm satisfied.

I guess people will find something to complain about no matter what. The bring scare zones back and it's not enoughbecause it's only four, if they gkept the format of the last couple of years then that's bad as well. It's like nothing's never good enough.

Still, many cool ideas in these boards, let's wait and see how it all plays out for those dead zones.

I never had any problem with the hordes in 2012. the actors were everywhere, they were fun, their costumes were interesting.

4 zones sounds very little for a park that is so big. Universal keeps disregarding the streets so much, soon the park won't be any different from the daytime except for the music.

maybe you don't care at all about the streets but for some of us the streets are as important as the houses. Specially when the lines for the houses are 2 hours. when that happens is when the streets really shine because while people wait 2 hours to see a house for 5 minutes you can walk in the zones as many times as you want and get scared just as many times.

The houses are great but they alone do not make the event. the shows and the streets make HHN what it is. take those away and all you get is the regular park with scary music. What's fun about that?

Edited by clash

Guest kiwisoup

Wow...a lot of focus on scarezones this year. After the past two years you think people would be more excited about a return to traditional scarezones, but i guess not.

There are 4 scarezones we know about: The Purge, Face-Off, MASKerade: Unstitched, and Bayou of Blood.

But if you count the auction in sting alley, I'd say that's different enough to say 5...and if they do have clowns flooding out into the streets, that's 6 which is pretty standard.

I'd be more interested to see a smaller number of scarezones that are LARGER and more expansive and well-themed than what I saw in 2011 when I last saw 6 scarezones. They were small and underwhelming. I'm hoping they will be larger and they seem to be more exciting with scenes like a sacrifice, an auction and real motorcycles mixed in with all of this!

There could also be some roaming or photo-op scareactors thrown in for good measure, to make sure there are no dead spots, and if the scarezones get bad reception to start, I'm sure they will add something like this like they have in the past...or maybe even a 25th anniversary preview. Let's just wait and see instead of preemptively whining about it.

Okay, moving away from the polarizing topic of scarezones, what do people think the Stay and Scream houses will be?

Kidzone is pretty obviously going to be Roanoke, but what about Finnegan's?

Depending upon how they structure the queues, I think it will be either AvP or FDTD, but I am not sure which. We all know that AvP will be popular, so is it possible that will be the Stay and Scream house with FDTD dragging in those coming from outside the park?

I originally posted this in the Dollhouse of the Damned but ForeverEvil1 made a good point that this probably belongs here:

What has me curious this year is, what will be HOTY? Looking at the three originals, I could see it easily being one of those. Dolls and clowns are automatically scary to a lot of people and if we throw in rambunctious cannibals, I think these three could be the scariest of the event. If that ends up being the case, what sort of effect will that have on the event in the coming years? We know that the reviews of AWIL and CitW last year gave A&D a little more wiggle room in trying to land passion projects, so what would two or three well rated originals do to the event next year?

Edited by Cooger and Dark

There is no satisfying everyone. But even I have to agree that there are certain areas of the park that could use some work. Considering the amount of money I'll be spending there it would be nice to be fully immersed in Halloween/horror surroundings. They don't even need to go overboard with huge elaborate decorations, just have most of the park covered. Since they took out the Jaws ride, the back section of the park has been pretty much completely void of anything Halloween/horror related.

Like I said a while back...An example of what I'm talking about applies to Sting Alley last year. How in the world do you not take advantage of putting something scary in that alley?

Even if all they did was add more colored lights and some scary music in some of the areas (like Springfield) it could be enough to make the entire park feel nicer.
the other areas don't even need that much.
light, music and maybe some fog would be enough to change these areas to match the event. I understand the budget is limited but they won't even try simple stuff like this.

I wish they at least tried to change some things around in all the dead areas the park will have

Edited by clash

Guest kiwisoup

I originally posted this in the Dollhouse of the Damned but ForeverEvil1 made a good point that this probably belongs here:

What has me curious this year is, what will be HOTY? Looking at the three originals, I could see it easily being one of those. Dolls and clowns are automatically scary to a lot of people and if we throw in rambunctious cannibals, I think these three could be the scariest of the event. If that ends up being the case, what sort of effect will that have on the event in the coming years? We know that the reviews of AWIL and CitW last year gave A&D a little more wiggle room in trying to land passion projects, so what would two or three well rated originals do to the event next year?

I have thought to myself that this year has a lot of potential scare factor. Things like clowns, dolls, zombies, and michael myers have a lot of scare factor for people. I know my friends I'm dragging with are terrified by the lineup this year.

If I had to guess now what the HOTY would be, I would say, in order...AVP, Roanoke, or a surprise hit with Dracaula: Untold.

Giggles & Gore, I think just based on it's location and reports that it's very short...I'm gonna say is not a contender. Dollhouse of the Damned...I just can't really picture this one in my head or really theorize what this is gonna be like. The whole part about the Morgue get's me excited, but it's a tent house and we all know how often those win HOTY...Here's hoping I'm surprised, because I can see that one going either way.

I'd be more interested to see a smaller number of scarezones that are LARGER and more expansive and well-themed than what I saw in 2011 when I last saw 6 scarezones. They were small and underwhelming. I'm hoping they will be larger and they seem to be more exciting with scenes like a sacrifice, an auction and real motorcycles mixed in with all of this!

There could also be some roaming or photo-op scareactors thrown in for good measure, to make sure there are no dead spots, and if the scarezones get bad reception to start, I'm sure they will add something like this like they have in the past...or maybe even a 25th anniversary preview. Let's just wait and see instead of preemptively whining about it.

yeah if they do something like this, it could end up being amazing.

I would love longer scarezones. Not sure if they could do that or not but that would be really awesome. if these 4 zones were twice the size of regular zones I wouldn't be saying anything negative.

Maybe they want to surprise people with the extra clown zone but if they really are going to make something with the clowns in the streets I wish they let us know. Knowing that there will be 5 zones would be better.