Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure 2013 [Reveiw]

Grindhousehero13

If you are not a straight male which your post and profile (as you are listed as a male) make it seem that you are that I do apologize and take my statement about you not being part of any the groups being "Offended" back but you too must understand where it seems dooshy if you are a straight white male.

But I still stand next to Bill and Ted on this one, and everything I have said about the bogus article.

People are pissy about everything and make the biggest deals out of it, and that's where the attention comes from.

No one gives a fuck about the people (The majority, most of the time) that enjoy something and make a big deal out of it. They're just like "Kool, I'm glad you liked it." But when someone doesn't like something, bashes on it with their own opinions as their reasoning, than people who do like it come back with reasons they're wrong and it escalates from there.

Just stop giving a fuck about what people say. -.- That's common sense for almost everything in life.

• Like 2

It wasn't even that much bad publicity. I'm willing to bet most people in the LGBT community who stay posted on most things locally and have heard nothing about this, which is some of my friends included who are pretty pissed that they won't get to see it for themselves to judge whether or not its offensive. I mean, wtf - LGBT is NOT the parents of LA county, yet Universal decides that NOOOOBODY will see it like they got shut down by the MPAA and we're ALL underage children trying to get into an R rated movie. It should be left up to US. Put a giant ass warning outside if you must. Announce, "if you're offended easily, then get the f#*! out!" at the top of the show. They're still charging VERRRRY highly for tickets, and lines are already HELL. Now they're going to make it worse on the last 2 weekends, which are arguably 2 of the 3 most important weekends for casual goers who.

Cut a show? Bigger lines. Same price. Less to do.

=

More pissed off people. Less fans. Less attendance next year.

Steady downward decline.

HHN is going to hell in a hand basket.

Or this could be a blessing in disguise and next year we'll have 3 or 4 shows to make sure this doesn't happen again.

But eitiher way, Universal is being a bunch of cowardly pushovers. Stand up for your "art" or don't fucking make it in the first place. Defend it. Change it if you must. Don't be little bitches and pull the plug. Jesus.

• Like 4

I was never offended by the whole horchata thing either, I was just making fun of people who were pissy about El Cucuy.

Yes but usual when you say you are a male (take a look to left of each of your post) and say you have a wife this is what goes on in people's mind "Male+Wife=Straight Male" that is normaly the case unless you are transgender and if that is the case I do appoligize for the mix up as this is a forum and not facebook all I know is what is written hell I dont know what most of my fellow members look like all I know is Freak has a mustach and Trevler is bald, I dont even read member introductions.

But once again I do find the article Bull Sh*t still as well as Uni's actions but not because I am against "The Cause" but because I am against needless censorship and believe in defending art I from one have never tried to pick fight or aim things at you until you brought up the Insidious thing being the reason why my opions are totally wrong and always respected your opion that you did not like the type of jokes B&T offered. I understand that people get bullied or harrased because of sexual orrientation, race or religious beliefes and I am against it, as I don't judge people by their prefence skin color or beliefes but on their action and personaility but also believe word are nothing more than words jokes are nothing more then jokes and complaining boycotting and demanding things get shut down for a harmless joke is just stupid, and it was a harmless joke "oh look superman is gay and prances around." not "Superman is gay lets hang him for not being like us!".

Ok you don't like those jokes ok but the rest of us do and so do a lot of HHN goers and that does not mean that all of us are homphobic or racists it just means we have a sense of humor and don't take things serious that are not ment to be taken serious, but for some reason since we disagree with the article you and we are defending the event that we are all mega fans of you let it bother you that it bothers us. No one here is homophobic (well except one person we cant name or he will return and make fun of our spelling and fight us) in fact there are quite a few of HNN'ers who are gay who never were offended by the gay jokes at B&T One of them has even said he was not offended a close personal friend of mine who is gay was not offended, DTH has a friend who was not offended now out of the blue someone is butt hurt and the fans the ones who actualy pay the ridiculus ticket prices every year are the one who suffers. A large group of loyal fans suffer for one writter's ego boost and you wonder why I am outraged by this? Why I am outrage that the event I love enough to talk about on a forum everyday for the past 7 years is attacked and wrongfully accused out of the blue?

Look once again nothing against you personaly or gays just against people who are need the attention bad enough that they will attack a beloved halloween event.

"In my opinion the show (which I saw) made fun of the gay stereotype, it did not make fun of being gay or of gay people."

now if someone took superman out or changed his role that would of been more smart than cancling the whole show because of a very small part of the show.

They should just change the warning. El Cucuy's warning said that the maze would include eating kids and so forth.They could say that the show includes gay, mexican, black, and Asian stereotypes used instead of jokes and that the show includes a rape that Bill and Ted think is cool. So much for being excellent to each other.

By the way, there are some homophobes here, no question. None really frequent on the Hollywood forums, but there are bigots here. Who, guess what, loved Bill and Ted.

So your point is if you like Bill and Ted you must be a bigot because a bigot likes Bill and Ted were is the witch hunt coming from? Calling everyone a bigot for not agreeing with you on a show is just as bad as being a bigot. No one here in Hollywood's forum is saying anything bad about Homosexuals what everyone hates is the witch hunt that begain cuz someone could'nt take a joke and stired up enough comotion that cancled a beloved show. They take surveys every night on the show and that made it to this week after the show being changed left and right instead of chaning the part they cancled the show in fear of being called Homophobic. People got offended okay I understand but this is an extream reaction this was'nt a concern letter stating discomfort with a joke this was a writer taking a joke as a personal attack maybe if this was adressed better maybe a concerned person would bring it to there attentioned an just changed superman maybe I would feel better but when a bitchy writter who is going by clips on youtube and has probably never even been to HHN got the show cancelled entirly because of jokes that didnt offend the majority who were supposed to be "Offended"

No, that's not what I am saying.

Majority? How did you figure that number out?

by saying that Bill and Ted is written by Bigots, and saying Bigots LOVE the show what do you mean by that?

Majority did'nt know that was number, but I say that cuz Bill and Ted has been highly rated for the last 4 or 5 there has been a gay pirate and and a captain mexico here and there and they take surveys everynight about the show a mix of people Black white mexican asian straight gay ect and this is the first time this commotion has been stired because of a youtube clip. Think about how crowded it gets and how many nights a year its been for the last 7 years think about this being southern california one of the most liberal and most hispanic places in the country when I go I see asains blacks mexican and whites everyday and you want me to believe that up until last weekend that majority of HHN goers were Sratight and White?

Bill and Ted getting cancelled I feel as though this is a good and bad thing. It's a bad thing because a tradition we've been doing since 1992 is gone and was cancelled by a stupid steereotype joke(s), but is a good thing because it started getting stale in 2011 (2012 excluded). There needs to be more than 1 show there's no denying it. Capacity is reached at almost every night, and mazes are at 120 minute waits. Overall though, it's has been a most excellent run for B&T and it's a shame to see it leave. Back to next year's shows, I think to compensate for the loss of this show we should get: Rocky Horror, Slaughterworld, Chucky Insult Emporium (scarezone form), and a new show that we haven't seen.

Hey, it's entirely possible that it was written by a robot that was programmed to think like a 14 year old bigot.

In all seriousness though...

You do know that the huffington post wasn't even the first article written about it, right? It cited a Vice Magazine article who reviewed it. Also, the entire video is online, not just clips. From beginning to end. There are some things I think you can't judge through a youtube video, the writing of a live show is not one of them. The Huffington Post article just focused on the gay jokes, which I would admit was kinda messed up. Come on author, don't just focus on the gay jokes when there's plenty of racial and sexist jokes on top of that. I will call the dude out on that, however most other articles I read looked at the other stuff in the show. So that's good.

I love honestly subversive media. I do. I consider Gummo, Salo, and Antichrist to be brilliant pieces of cinema. In all seriousness, what I'm saying is that the show in general is very base. There isn't much "in" the jokes. Kristen Stewart shows up to give a blowjob because hey, Kristen Stewart. We know who she is. There's a Harlem Shake because, hey, Harlem Shake. Stewie is the Wizard and Brian pees on the witch because hey, why not? Just throw some pop culture references together. Now, this isn't a problem exactly most of the time. Alright, a bunch of pop culture references. Cool. They use basic jokes that they know will get a cheap laugh. It's like when Mick Foley would randomly say the name of the city he's in to get a cheap pop. As long as we are using Family Guy clips...

Now replace "9/11" with "Superman, being gay, makes him less manly" or "Black people can't swim." Lois is saying that stuff because she knows it gets a cheap reaction. They aren't edgy. I honestly don't even consider offensive. It's just pathetic. I hate the idea that something can be "edgy" or whatever without having any real edge. The writers use gay jokes because they know it gets a cheap laugh, because they know a good portion of the audience finds homosexuality to be a joke. You don't have to be a bigot, but if you are a bigot then you are going to love a lot of the jokes since there's nothing to really laugh at beyond "lol mexicans." Considering that people commenting on the various articles were saying that a lot of the people in the crowd were laughing and screaming "fags" at the stage, yeah, I'm going to say a good amount of the audience are bigots. It's the same park where you went to see Rocky Horror and guys left screaming about how it was faggy or something like that, right? As leftist as Southern California seems to be, there's a lot of conservatives depending on the cities. The writers know that. The writers know that most the the audience that would storm out of Rocky Horror in a homophobic rage is sitting in that seat and laughing at Bill and Ted.

I'm sure to you it's just a joke. I'm not doubting that. You get that what Superman did when he turned gay, it wasn't what the average gay person acts like. But to a lot of people, they see that and figure it's more or less an accurate portrayal. I've had people tell me to my face that South Park told them all they need to know about transgender people. If you are somebody who finds stereotypes to be truthful representations of reality, then a show where every character is a stereotype is going to appeal to you. You have to admit, compared to last year and other years they relied a lot less on stereotypical humor. Were the majority of goers white? Possibly. Not sure. Were the majority straight? Yes, absolutely. Obviously not everyone who is one of the groups is going to agree, and they don't have to. That's their call and I respect that, if it's coming from somebody who has lived through that. If you are straight you don't get to only acknowledge the viewpoints of people who say things that mesh with what you think while brushing off the opinions of those you don't mesh with you. If you get that you don't get what it's like, just err on the side of caution before you say somebody's experiences aren't valid. Generally I dont like crossing the streams so to say between the social issue side of me and the haunt lover side of me, but with the show getting the reaction it did I kinda had to yknow?

Offensive or not, relying on cheap stereotypes is the hallmark of awful writing. Maybe next year the writers will work harder?

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

No the Huffington Post is not the first to complain about Bill & Ted hell HHN has been the focus of articles in negative ways over the year but this is the first article to go and attack not just Bill & Ted not just HHN but Universal. My Disgust is not that people were offended it was the over exaggeration that article went into claiming that "Universal Is Homophobic" and that it went straight into cutting the whole show and not just cutting out superman which really is not hard despite what you think of the writters Superman was such a minor part of the show as much as the Lone Ranger and Tonto or even just skip the the fairy dust and not make him gay at all. To be honest I did'nt think the superman bit was funny until the CGI guys show up. One think I don't is that this dude also piggy backed on the "Racists" claims when the steroetypes were being targeted not the races themselves. G.I. Jose being mistaken as G.I. Joe not funny but not offensive. My point is that Bill & Ted is built on gooffiness and cheap immature joke "The Hand is my Job" "Hahaha hand job" there not trying to be "Edgy" there trying to be a place you can go and turn off your brain and laugh at a stupid joke and relax after hour of standing in a misrable line for a 5 minute pay off if feels good. I agree with you and in Kursed's words "This Year The show sucked" because the writting was bad as a writter I can smell bad writting but it is what it bad writting not bigotry. I have personaly never seen anybody yell "F*G" (I still have herd no accounts but some article) or any other slurs at the stage even at gay jokes outside of RHPS and just I like I said then I would stand up tell them something for saying disrespectful crap to people, I mean look how I don't shut up about this, but I honestly don't think those assholes represent the fans of the shows. I admit maybe it is bias to say cuz I don't get offended at mexican jokes and know some gay dudes who are not offended that all people should'nt be offended and yes I agree I don't what some people go through but I do believe people should take jokes for what they are jokes. I did'nt say or least say that people feelings are not valid but I do believe that person who wrote the Huffington Post article gay or straight wrote in a complete dooshy way without understandin that this show is loved has a fan base and judged it on it's worst Incarnation. Also look it did'nt get pulled cuz of "Racist Jokes" it got pulled cuz of the Universal is Homophobic claims, but when it comes down it Bill and Ted have bashed Homophobes and racists like Paula Deen, Chick-Fill-A, Arizona, and Mit Romeny but one bad joke is was shut the whole thing down when the show is famouse for cutting bits out that dont work or offend famousily cutting out a joke about Heath Ledger's death? You see were this is unfair to the fans and why fans are pist? As fans HHN (other haunts too) is an escape from their mudane lives a chance to have an adventure hell sometimes its a 60 buck adventure but its worth it but how fair is it for people who have waited all year for HHN, bought their tickets in advance and find out right before you go that a good chunk of the event is gone and yet you still payed $60 its like paying for an half eaten pizza. You gotta admit cutting the whole show was an extream that hurt the fans and the people who worked hard to put the show togather such as the actors. Like I said I am against needless censorship and fear if by any miracle we do get B&T back it will be super water down. This is were I am mad. I am not pretending to know how feel people I not trying to speak for them I just find this a spineless move on Universal's part and I find the writter of that specific article a doosh and I dont care what your race sexual orrientation or beliefe is and will not judge by that or judge what you have gone through in life but I am a firm believer in words are words and it's makes a person strong to ignore the ridicul and what people think as long as you are happy with yourself and not ruin everything for everyone else who are not responsible for hurting you in anyway and also the you should defend your art. I am speaking as a fan who who is let down not someone is trying to be insensitve to people's blight. when it comes down to it.

I think it's people should have thicker skin, I hate that it came to pulling the whole show instead of a quick change of a part. But I understand why some people might not find that joke okay at all I have always respected you don't like that kind of jokes, but I do not respect Universal's action or The extream the Huffington post article took the situation.

All I ask is that you can understand why as a fan I hate the actions Universal took and understand I admit the writting was bad but I dont think it should of came to shuting down the show which I called since reading the article and is why I was hot blooded about this debate I was not condoning or defending any form of Bigotry I was defending fans of the show. So can we finally burry this hatchet and at least come up with constructive posts and get back our "ONE" show back and make it work for everyone instead of the back and forth we two have been doing.

I don't think that cutting the entire show was the right call. If I knew about why they didn't (no budget to pay the writers to write extra bits maybe?) I could comment further, but pulling the entire show was weird from what I can tell. Maybe they pulled it out of spite, I don't know why they went that route.

Oh, I didn't address this before, but the Insidious thing wasn't meant to imply that you are always wrong. I get it, and I think that the face paint was something Universal had to overcome. And did pretty well I think. Anyway, my point was that any criticism of a theme park event is obviously going to be less of a big deal than stuff like, say, Russia's treatment of the LGBT community. But people criticize HHN for a lot of reasons, and none of them are as big as other issues. Be it the jokes in Bill and Ted or the reused Saw props in Black Sabbath.

A lot of complaints about HHN are complaints about Universal, since HHN is at Universal. Murdy is just an Universal employee and HHN is another Universal production. So is everyone involved in HHN. Well, I'm not sure about what Boneyard FX's contract is. When there's discussion about the budget issues, there's always a shot at Universal. Why can't they dig a hole for Evil Dead? Universal. Why can't the terror tram get a new route? Universal. Lower lot has no theme beyond some lights? Universal. We don't have 8 soundstage mazes? Universal. There's nothing unique about that kind of criticism that crosses over to Universal.

Historically, a society that likes to "turn off their minds" and embrace a bit of stereotyping has been pretty awful for us.

Have you ever seen The Heart She Holler?

Edited by ferox

I don't think that cutting the entire show was the right call. If I knew about why they didn't (no budget to pay the writers to write extra bits maybe?) I could comment further, but pulling the entire show was weird from what I can tell. Maybe they pulled it out of spite, I don't know why they went that route.

Oh, I didn't address this before, but the Insidious thing wasn't meant to imply that you are always wrong. I get it, and I think that the face paint was something Universal had to overcome. And did pretty well I think. Anyway, my point was that any criticism of a theme park event is obviously going to be less of a big deal than stuff like, say, Russia's treatment of the LGBT community. But people criticize HHN for a lot of reasons, and none of them are as big as other issues. Be it the jokes in Bill and Ted or the reused Saw props in Black Sabbath.

A lot of complaints about HHN are complaints about Universal, since HHN is at Universal. Murdy is just an Universal employee and HHN is another Universal production. So is everyone involved in HHN. Well, I'm not sure about what Boneyard FX's contract is. When there's discussion about the budget issues, there's always a shot at Universal. Why can't they dig a hole for Evil Dead? Universal. Why can't the terror tram get a new route? Universal. Lower lot has no theme beyond some lights? Universal. We don't have 8 soundstage mazes? Universal. There's nothing unique about that kind of criticism that crosses over to Universal.

Historically, a society that likes to "turn off their minds" and embrace a bit of stereotyping has been pretty awful for us.

Have you ever seen The Heart She Holler?

yes and I do agree and I mean turn off mind as a least complex joke not that we should all get a chance to be slack jawed 'Muricans but come on who does not love a fart joke, like I said I do believe an Seth Mcfarlen type steroetype joke were the stereotype is being targeted and not the group the stereotype is about are harmless, but then again I did grow up with people who for example my asian friend who is not sterotypical asain will joke that "You want a ride sure but I warn you im asian or hey Im gonna eat your dog" or my gay friend who does is not stereotypical gay hell you would'nt know he was until he kisses a dude will joke around about stereotypes, if someone asked him if he was gay he would just do the "limp wrist" then laugh So maybe I'm bias cuz my friends are strong enough to over come their steroetypes that I don't see too much of the other side of the bullying and hate but I do get there are still this old world hate of everything different.

I also think this years writting was bad all around (though I liked very few parts) dont get me wrong. I get Universal and the critism but you do have to agree calling Universal Homophobic is an extreme.

I just dont like that they amputated an arm for a paper cut When Big Brother Orlando would stand their ground and fix the problem.

and yes I have big adult swim fan here!

The writing reminds me of that scenes in Heart She Holler where they all sit around a bar and tell jokes.

"Alright, so...a JEW walks into a bar!"

"BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

Since we agree that the jokes were bad, would you say that somebody who laughs uproariously at those jokes enjoys stereotypes a bit tooooo much?

Edited by ferox

The writing reminds me of that scenes in Heart She Holler where they all sit around a bar and tell jokes.

"Alright, so...a JEW walks into a bar!"

"BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

haha yeah I remember that.....

On to B&T I kinda thought of a way they could of keep superman without the Gay Superman When Taylor swift missfired unstead of calling it fairy dust she could of tryed to bring the lone ranger back to life by turning back time but instead hits Superman and turn him into Brandon Roth's Superman "The Useless Superman" from superman returns then the steroids turn him into Henry Karvel's superman. Simple and would not change too much but cut the gay jokes.