HHN Hollywood 2013 Event Discussion

I'm back in the Knott's takes the crown back camp. I went this past sunday and just all around had a better time. Trapped was over priced and underwhelming but still I think just the overall event was stronger. Forevermore, Black Magic and the returning Trick or Treat were just miles above all the HHN offerings on their own. I would really love if Knotts would start persuing IP mazes again, especially if they go after ones Murdy has snubbed in the past. Imagine if we get AHS and or Scream at Haunt in coming years? I'd die.

• Like 2

I'm back in the Knott's takes the crown back camp. I went this past sunday and just all around had a better time. Trapped was over priced and underwhelming but still I think just the overall event was stronger. Forevermore, Black Magic and the returning Trick or Treat were just miles above all the HHN offerings on their own. I would really love if Knotts would start persuing IP mazes again, especially if they go after ones Murdy has snubbed in the past. Imagine if we get AHS and or Scream at Haunt in coming years? I'd die.

Umm, how is this HHN 2013 discussion? o.o

• Like 1

I mean I loved Insidous and Evil Dead but just in retrospect I'm feeling very eh about HHN and Murdy's celebrity chasing nonsense. I really had a better time at Knots Scary Farm and found it an overall stronger event. The Knotts missteps seemed way less glaring to me. In any case I'm still going to closing night of HHN. :)

• Like 1

I mean I loved Insidous and Evil Dead but just in retrospect I'm feeling very eh about HHN and Murdy's celebrity chasing nonsense. I really had a better time at Knots Scary Farm and found it an overall stronger event. The Knotts missteps seemed way less glaring to me. In any case I'm still going to closing night of HHN. :)

When did you go last?

I did both last year and had a lot more fun at Knott's, although last year was my least favorite HHN. I had a blast at HHN this year. What Knott's offers is a lot more variety in just about every way (mazes, scare zones, shows, rides, food, even merchandise). In terms of build quality the best maze at Knott's is still nowhere near the worst maze at Universal and the best ride at Knott's can't hold a candle to Transformers.

• Like 1

One day I hope to see evidence of these mythical "innovative KSF scares." I went and didn't see any. I ask and I just hear "You know...they stand in the room and sometimes in the corner." That's just replacing one style of scare with another. Can anybody point out a single "innovative" scare that HHN didn't have? The people who loved Gunslingers Grave and said Insidious was ruined by the static dummies ignored all of the (and I do mean all of the) static dummies in Gunslingers Grave. That rock monster in End Games was originally used in 2000 ffs. I think I noticed some reused props in Trick or Treat.

Looking back and keeping score of the tactics, despite the percent of strobe/door scares there's a wider variety of scare tactics at HHN. And they are done with competent actors that aren't wearing masks they picked up from party city and hanging out with plywood walls that were painted to look like stone or wood.

Elvira's show was pretty cool though.

Edited by ferox

One day I hope to see evidence of these mythical "innovative KSF scares." I went and didn't see any. I ask and I just hear "You know...they stand in the room and sometimes in the corner." That's just replacing one style of scare with another. Can anybody point out a single "innovative" scare that HHN didn't have? The people who loved Gunslingers Grave and said Insidious was ruined by the static dummies ignored all of the (and I do mean all of the) static dummies in Gunslingers Grave. That rock monster in End Games was originally used in 2000 ffs. I think I noticed some reused props in Trick or Treat.

Looking back and keeping score of the tactics, despite the percent of strobe/door scares there's a wider variety of scare tactics at HHN. And they are done with competent actors that aren't wearing masks they picked up from party city and hanging out with plywood walls that were painted to look like stone or wood.

Elvira's show was pretty cool though.

Gunslinger: There were the collapsing mine supports triggered by a loud noise, the mine cart that would move scare you in the tunnels. There was also the guy that would blast you with his rifle. Not really scary, but it was pretty cool.

As for The static dummies used in there, those are dead bodies! Of course they would use dummies. But for the rest, that's firgivable as it is an original concept. As long as it does detract from the atmosphere, its forgivable. In the case if Insidious, it did. They ruined an iconic scene from the movie (ED as well) by using static dummies. Does that put you into the movie which is HHN's goal? Oh, and don't even get me started in HHN using shaker cans in the mazes when Knotts didn't use any in their houses.

But for HHN's scares, there a guy running out of a door and then several popping out of a picture frame. That is it. Knotts, there are the simple scares, the bungee scare, the prop scares, slide-door scares in dominion, and then the guy in BMW gliding over your head.

• Like 1

Just enjoy both events for what they are guys. Going back and forth about who has better scares isn't solving anything. I think I've seen you guys have this same conversation multiple times in different threads.

Plus, this is the 2013 HHN Hollywood thread, not the Knotts Vs Universal thread.

Edited by shark23

Original mazes still have the duty to look realistic to maintain a descent atmosphere. Honest question, how do clearly fake elements not detract from an atmosphere unless the atmosphere is supposed to be cheap and fake looking? Assuming realism in the intended goal, a lack of realism would be a downside regardless of it being original or not.
As for HHN's scares...there's guys (and ladies) running out of a door, scrim walls, boo holes, (much more effective) corner scares, camo scares, from above scares, characters appearing out of total darkness, living statues/which one is real scares that aren't literally announced to be living statues before you approach them, false barricade scares, blinding light scares, audio scares, the fence scares in the TWD's facade, false dead body scares, water gags, chainsaw scares in the scarezones, animatronics with air cannons, the changing faces prop scare, the accursed words appearing in the cabin, and the "cornered in the center of the room" scares. It would be a positive change if they focused less on the door/strobe scare, but I thought there was a great variety of scares.
  • Like 1

I would count the stilt scares as from above, or at least as a high scare haha

I gotta agree 100 percent with Ferox on this one. Sure we use one tactic to death, but there ARE other scares to be had at Universal. And honestly, at least Uni puts budget into special effects to try these scares. Like I've seen a picture scare before and I've seen a scrim within the picture, but I've never seen it like a sequence where its the picture, then scrim, and then turns into a pop out gag.

Knotts can be innovative all they want - still doesn't help them actually be scary. Until they innovate something that creeps me out and then makes me jump like Universal has time and time again, then I'll give Knotts their proper kudos.

Edited by DTH316
  • Like 1