HHN Hollywood 2013 Event Discussion

Orlando has the luxury of many Soundstages and Two Sprung Tents (specifically built for HHN). So they can use different types of scares. Knott's scary farm also has warehouses and open spaces where they can put their haunted attraction. Hollywood is not only tight spaced but it's a theme park and a movie studio. Our houses are under black tents in cramped spaces in a very small park adjacent to a working movie studio. John Murdy has to work under these conditions of small space and safety regulations that Orlando and Knott's don't have to deal with. Hollywood has every excuse to be doing things how they are doing given their limitations.

Because the mazes are in tents, Hollywood has an excuse? No. they. DON'T.

For years, Knott's had to work with locations that were far more cramped and restrictive then any tent Hollywood has the luxury of using. There are still haunts all over the place who have to work with locations that are not a nice as a regular tent, yet they're still able to put in unique scares and elements. For Scarywood's 3-Dementia haunt that was in a tent, they had a Vortex tunnel and a spinning floor.

But apparently for Hollywood, a tent brings such a big limitation for them. Even though when limitations arise, that's when you get creative. Other haunts do, and they do it just fine. But if the current team at HW can't, then that's a wonderful case for a need of new blood.

This year does include a vortex tunnel, from above scares, camouflage scares, video elements, and scrim walls in the mazes.

As far as KSF scares, they did have a bungee scare (which I admit was the best scare of the night by far) but they had no vortex tunnel, no from above scares, no scrim walls, no crouch tunnel, no moving floors, and no tilted floor. Yes Knotts doesn't use triggers, so they just constantly stomp and hang around corners. Not to mention how many of their rooms don't have a scare built into it at all. It just has actors hanging out in the middle of the room. I can't even bring myself to call that a scare.
When they do build scares into the maze, guess what? It's the same stuff Hollywood does, just not as well. A reviewer who was gushing over Black Magic said that the *best scare* of the night came from when a character popped out from behind a sliding door. In Dominion there were two boo holes, and one of the cast members used it by just hanging out with his head sticking out of it. There was one of the worst uses of the "I look trapped in here but I can pop out" trick that HHNH likes to use. There was a living statue scare, and a character announces to you that there is going to be a living statue scare before you pass by the ONLY statue in the room. I was more scared going through Fright Walk in Santa Cruz than any of the mazes in KSF this year.
I do agree that Hollywood should be pushed to have more innovative scares, but let's acknowledge what they do have in the mazes and not pretend KSF isn't mostly people lunging at you from the middle of the room or stomping when you go around a corner. Nobody is going to listen if we make stuff up. They are doing some pretty cool stuff with sets, but as far as variety and intensity of scares they are way behind HHN.

If the list of scares goes "on and on" why not name three more?

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

Thats a performer issue, not a design issue.

While I try not to pass judgement on Knott's cast on opening weekend, their maze performers seemed particularly weak this year. I suspect they're still dealing with the "stay in character!" direction they were given, rather than the usual "DO WHATEVER YOU WANT" they usually get.

The misuse of the boo hole is a performer issue, I'll admit that. Even if the cast was trained very well, there's still the issue that most of the sets aren't built around a scare. They have (sometimes) cool stuff, and there's somebody just in the room. It's like whoever built the sets wasn't told that it would be a live attraction so they just shoved people in there.

Kind of related, I thought there was a scrim scare in Dominion. But it was just cast members reading something on a piece of paper with a flash light, not knowing that it could be seen through the sheer fabric that they used for the paintings. If they used some good lighting and put a monster behind there it could be a really excellent scare. Get a bright light to affix behind the performer, connect it to an on/off switch, and bam. Easy and effective scare.

Wow we find weird random things to bitch about..... I mean the fire towers? thats bugging you?

Look I agree that there needs to be something new scare tech/stratagy every so often but lets not pretend that Murdy is failing at his job, look the distraction scare dont work on us cuz we know how the distraction scare works we know if there is an elephant in the room someone is behind you why? cuz we as fans kinda take ourselves out of the world by being fans we know all these terms by listening to Murdy, watching behind the scenes (BTW where the hell are the rest of the BTS?) interacting on these boards with scare actors and other in the bizz or generly in the know. Most of the GP that attend are unaware of most of the gimmicks and crap their pants with these tricks look we are like 20 people compared to the thousands that attend the event in one night and as far them being scared chainsaws? works. Distraction Scares? works. Water gags? there is a saying "if it works, don't fuck with it". and like Ferox says why are we saying Knott's is pushing the scare boundries? They are famouse for not having scare tactics. To be honest I just think at this point we are all just jaded.

Also there is this

68630_754841131208714_729316440_n.jpg

• Like 2

Because the mazes are in tents, Hollywood has an excuse? No. they. DON'T. For years, Knott's had to work with locations that were far more cramped and restrictive then any tent Hollywood has the luxury of using. There are still haunts all over the place who have to work with locations that are not a nice as a regular tent, yet they're still able to put in unique scares and elements. For Scarywood's 3-Dementia haunt that was in a tent, they had a Vortex tunnel and a spinning floor. But apparently for Hollywood, a tent brings such a big limitation for them. Even though when limitations arise, that's when you get creative. Other haunts do, and they do it just fine. But if the current team at HW can't, then that's a wonderful case for a need of new blood.
Tent, small space, safety restriction due to it being in a movie studio and massive crowds. Yes, that's very limiting to what can be done in a small space. Yes I'll give that Black Sabbath has no excuse to be the way it was but for the tent houses, yes they have a very good excuse.

It actually is a Scrim scare. They just didn't do it right. the painting is supposed to light up and you see the vampires making out or feeding on a victim.

As far as scaring in an open room- that IS a performer issue. I'm perfectly capable to scare you standing in plain sight. In fact, its the scare I do most often and I learned it at knott's. Its not an EASY scare, however, and it takes people some time to learn how to do it right.

Now, I'm not telling you to go again later in the month, but if you WERE to go, you might see a world of difference.

Tent, small space, safety restriction due to it being in a movie studio and massive crowds. Yes, that's very limiting to what can be done in a small space. Yes I'll give that Black Sabbath has no excuse to be the way it was but for the tent houses, yes they have a very good excuse.

I'm quite curious, how does this being a movie studio equate to "Not being able to have a Vortex Tunnel, bungee scare etc." in a maze? The size of the crowds sure ain't a factor on particular elements since Knott's and Universal Orlando do conga-lines for their mazes as well with those scares/effects.

• Like 1

HHN does have a vortex tunnel. Orlando has a vortex tunnel. KSF doesn't have a vortex tunnel. If you can point out any of the super innovative scares you think KSF has this year, please share that scare with us. Because I know when I went I just saw weaker versions of HHNH's usual scares. Check out the youtube videos of KSF and try to find any of these innovative scare tactics that they use.

Edited by ferox

KSF has had vortex tunnels in the past, though its true they don't have one this year.

Its not that they are necessarily innovating this year, its that their mazes all have different feels to them., Its not Boo Door, after Body Box, after boo door, which is more to the point. (Also, there was some pretty cool shit inside of Trapped, but since thats locked behind an additional fee, I dont want to count that. )

Edited by Trevler
  • Like 2

Like I said- performer issue, not design. They'll figure out how to work their rooms better.

HHN mazes are designed to be be idiot proof. You could almost put dummies on a timer in most of them. Knotts (and most haunts) are MUCH more performer dependent.

• Like 2

I don't get how people can't understand there is no space for bigger types of scares in our tent mazes. The majority of our mazes are confined in extended queues. And you'd be surprised at the safety regulations the studio has, which is why our mazes don't have roofs over them.

I don't get how people can't understand there is no space for bigger types of scares in our tent mazes. The majority of our mazes are confined in extended queues. And you'd be surprised at the safety regulations the studio has, which is why our mazes don't have roofs over them.

If they can put in a multi-level cell block, helicopter, tank, giant La Llorona figures, have things big enough for stilt scaractors inside a tent, they can most certainly create the space needed for a bungee, mirror gag etc. A tent is a blank canvas, how you fill/lay it out is up to you. HW is just going through the paces and it painfully shows in the sameness for all their mazes. They need some serious creative juices here.

Also, most mazes don't have a roof. That's something most everyone deals with.

Wow someone bought all the Jack Pins in Orlando. Wonder how many are left here.

I think it's funny that Fright Nights at Warner Bros. Movie World is doing The Walking Dead and Evil Dead as well...

That haunt for some reson seems to do the same properties hhn does in the same year. They had the walking dead last year and saw when hhn had saw

• Like 1

If they can put in a multi-level cell block, helicopter, tank, giant La Llorona figures, have things big enough for stilt scaractors inside a tent, they can most certainly create the space needed for a bungee, mirror gag etc. A tent is a blank canvas, how you fill/lay it out is up to you. HW is just going through the paces and it painfully shows in the sameness for all their mazes. They need some serious creative juices here.

Also, most mazes don't have a roof. That's something most everyone deals with.

As much as I would want different types of scare I realize there are many things that factor in as to why it wouldn't be feasible in a tent. From safety regulations (pathways for scareactors, fire lanes around the perimeter etc.) to it making sense with the property it's based on. Now Black Sabbath, that's a different story. Dropped ball there. A lot of potential given the size of the SS. A lot of the higher end Halloween attractions have ceilings on top of them but of course HHN doesn't due to their concerns with fire.

Trying to emulate them I would suppose. HHN on both coasts are surprisingly popular in other countries. I wonder if their 4th maze is based on a film Hollywood or Orlando is doing as well.

Edited by Zero56