HHN Hollywood 2013 Event Discussion

There's been mixed reviews on Evil Dead but I refuse to believe it's garbage. That being said AWIL is now my most wanted maze for next year. CITW is now my 2nd most wanted maze for next year.

And honestly you can't really make fair judgment of a maze by a youtube video. A lot of how good a maze is has to do with actually being there and being lucky enough to get a lot of scares.

Edited by TeenagerFromMars

Murdy should of replaced Black Sabbath with American Werewolf in London! I mean he already had that planned out from last year!? Who even wanted/wants Black Sabbath? And CITW should of been the damn terror tram!! The New York street had the largest Walking Dead Scarezone and Large maze and we still got the terror tram? Wtf. We could of had 5 amazing IP's : Evil Dead, The Walking Dead, Insidious. American Werewolf In London & Cabin In The Woods along with El Cucuy & UMR 2.0 but nooooo. I haven't been to the event yet but I'm saying this could of been great though

• Like 1

To sum it up shortly, Evil Dead wasn't too great. Even though I went in it 3 times yesterday.

That being said, it had a 10 minute wait on average and I think peaked at 20-30 last night while Insidious, right next door, had a 45 minute wait on average later in the night.

Don't know why, but people seemed to be avoiding it.

Wow, Orlando's ED was exactly what I expected to see here. I'm VERY jealous. Everything that was fake here, they did live there. The only thing id say Hollywood one upped them on is make up effects. Character-wise and the major injury wise, like the girl cutting into her arm and Mia tongueing the blade were done better here. Plus they were missing the chainsaw to the face. But those few little elements mixed with what Orlando had would have made that maze of the year. And it seemed like they had a way better sound design. How the hell did Hollywood screw this up? I don't care what anyone says, live actors are always better when its something conceivable, and Hollywood picked the easy way out and failed dramatically, in my opinion. I have heard amazing things about AWIL, so I'll go check out that video too.

• Like 2

Wow, Orlando's ED was exactly what I expected to see here. I'm VERY jealous. Everything that was fake here, they did live there. The only thing id say Hollywood one upped them on is make up effects. Character-wise and the major injury wise, like the girl cutting into her arm and Mia tongueing the blade were done better here. Plus they were missing the chainsaw to the face. But those few little elements mixed with what Orlando had would have made that maze of the year. And it seemed like they had a way better sound design. How the hell did Hollywood screw this up? I don't care what anyone says, live actors are always better when its something conceivable, and Hollywood picked the easy way out and failed dramatically, in my opinion. I have heard amazing things about AWIL, so I'll go check out that video too.
I feel you. I haven't been to HHN yet but watching the 2 videos that's what I thought. I mean things get better right? Hopefully when I go, the maze is fixed. And I saw the AWIL maze and it looked nice as well :)

I watched the AWIL maze now, watched a few of them in fact just to make sure I didn't miss anything. The beginning was a bit boring but that was pretty much what I expected the scenes they would do. For such a tame IP, they amped it up pretty dang good. Now the thing that's important to take note is the AMAZING puppeteering. Very scary, but it felt a bit repetitive by the XXX theater. As great as that maze looked, I have no desire to see it in Hollywood. It'd probably just be static dummy werewolves anyway. Bitter joking aside, I do wanna see a werewolf maze done right in Hollywood sometime in the future, but something that won't be confined to the AWIL property. It could be heavily inspired by it, but scenes with random nazis in a hospital just seem... too random.

With all that said, I think its time we start looking at the differences that need to be made in Hollywood's future as far as creative goes...

I really don't understand what happened this year, and as Freak mentions in his review, the event has been taking too many baby steps and it seems we've plateaued. Location wise, Hollywood has taking things up a notch with DOA. But maze-wise, the same tactics are being done to death, even in the good mazes. The innovation is poorly missing, but even if that weren't an issue, its the fact that it now appears we're going backwards. Evil Dead is a prime example. I remember going to HHN and loving the fact that they used actors for most of their victims. You'd have many lifelike dummies as well. But when SUPER FAKE dummies/animatronics start popping into our mazes, for KEY SCENES I have to question the decisions being made as to what's important in trying to make things realistic. Imagine if The Thing relied on static figures instead of those awesome puppets that lunged out. Or if La Llorona's big moments at the end were just still without the use of actors or the kicking legs. Or if Saw, all the victims in the traps (aside from Frozen Lady) weren't real, same with Hostel. Considering Orlando did tree rape Mia, celler Mia and puking Mia all with live actors, something tells me Hollywood got a bit lazy and they've drained the well. '10 made me believe in Murdy and that he could quiet the naysayers - but now after this year, I'm starting to sharpen my pitchfork, and will be apart of the mob if things haven't vastly improved when I go near the end of the run.

Edited by DTH316
  • Like 2

I actually liked La Llorona, but they needed that OMG ending! Horrible make up though. Resident Evil starts off with an amazing set!!-- then the rest of the maze has no scenes from the games, but all the characters -- if they were gonna go the semi-original route, at least make it better, which they didn't.

Also, way too many zombies in the Resident Evil maze if you ask me. No wonder Murdy passed on it.

By the way, I'm actually alright with the scare patrol since they got me a free Evil Dead 2013 dvd and my wife and I got to skip the line and be at the head of the group just for knowing some basic horror trivia. Some pretty basic horror movie quotes (Who will survive and what will be left of them, we have such sights to show you, we all go a little mad sometimes, when there's no more room in Hell the dead will walk the Earth), knowing what The Mummy's name is, and the name of the Munster Koach. So if anybody tells you that knowing horror trivia is worthless, remember my story.

---

Another funny story with scare patrol. They were holding up signs that asked people to cheer for team Daryl or team Rick or whatever. She says "Ugh this isn't freaking Twilight." RIGHT AFTER she says that a guy behind us in line, sees the signs, and says "What's this Twilight bs doing here?"

Entirely unrelated. I'll agree. I appreciate HHN for trying to keep the lines entertaining but the experience needs some tweaking.

I didn't see the scare patrol 2/3 times I went in the maze. On the third one, I didn't know what it was, but I like the idea. Some guy won a poster and I was super jealous.

I hate this year's merch, I can't buy shit. I wanted something on my wall that's Halloween related (Even if it wasn't HHN, but what better place to have memories on your wall than stuff from HHN?), but I don't want anything they're selling on my wall. They had that kool Walking Dead poster, but I don't care for Walking Dead...

But if I won a poster, regardless of what it was, I'd totally hang it on my wall. Ugh. Saddens me. Got my Silent Hill one just above my head from last year, though. Too bad it's so small.

Wow, my friend screamed into the mic when asked and all she got was a sticker, so I didn't even bother talking to them. Now I know next time to kiss the hell out of their asses! Kursed got FOL and you got a freakin DVD! Damn, ima go talk to each one of them and go back multiple times just to get stuff if I can.

But something about em needs to be changed. I don't know exactly what, but it doesn't feel right completely.

Wow, my friend screamed into the mic when asked and all she got was a sticker, so I didn't even bother talking to them. Now I know next time to kiss the hell out of their asses! Kursed got FOL and you got a freakin DVD! Damn, ima go talk to each one of them and go back multiple times just to get stuff if I can.

But something about em needs to be changed. I don't know exactly what, but it doesn't feel right completely.

Uh, it wasn't me who got FOL. :P

And yeah, I think it's kinda unfair for two groups to have a chance and only one wins. It's too limited. Can't just stop the line for a chance to go next and win a possible glowstick or something.

I don't mind if it doesn't change this year, but if they're gonna have it next year, I hope it's open to more people at once. Even if only one wins.

The way it worked for me was they were shouting out quotes as I was walking by. Nobody was answering so I did three in a row, which lead to the final round or what have you which lead to the dvd and FOL. So I guess if you want to get a really good prize, be in a line next to people who have little to no knowledge about horror movies and shout out every answer. Then get grilled with a few more and then you get a dvd and a FOL.

Oh, sorry Kursed. Could've sworn that was you who said it lol

My brain is a movie encyclopedia and my horror section is filled to the brim. I actually made one of my best friends from him quizzing me about horror movies and him being impressed that I knew as much as him. I got this!!!

Good luck! It was in Insidious, but I have no idea if the people are stationed in one area or another night after night or it will work again. Like I said, the trivia was pretty easy so you have a good chance.

Edit: That last line could be read as snarky, but I meant it sincerely. If you know a lot, there's a good chance at getting these pretty easy questions. I mean come on, we all go a little mad? We're standing not too far from where that line was originally spoken!

Edited by ferox

You guys really need to understand Resident Evil is Orlando's light hearted house this year in leu of no comedy house. It's supposed to look like the game (corny costumes, cartoonish looking monsters). It's not meant to be taken seriously, it's really just a fun house to go through. It perfectly brings you into the games 2&3 (What it's based on) by having Aruka's, Tony's pizza, the save room, the paused room, and R.C.P.D.All of it is just tongue in cheek humor.

Edited by Zero56

When I go should I even do B&T? Is it bad enough to just skip?

Personally. I say skip it. That being said, I'm also one of those people that have to see everything at least once. So here's my advice if you're that kind of person:

If youve done everything, are satisfied, and are nearby for the next showing, go ahead and watch it (though I personally wouldnt take the last showing cause I hate leaving to a completely empty park, and this show is definitely not worth having that depressing feeling).

If you have a choice to wait in a 50 minute line for a 5 minute maze and you havent been to it yet or you could watch B and T. Take the maze.