HHN Hollywood 2013 Event Discussion

We could expect the Orlando team to take ive Hollywood as well which wouldn't be a bad thing or murdy could stay longer then he anticipated it's not like he's forced to retire by any means and personally I don't want him too :P

But then again it could be ........ Trevler 0.0

We could expect the Orlando team to take ive Hollywood as well which wouldn't be a bad thing or murdy could stay longer then he anticipated it's not like he's forced to retire by any means and personally I don't want him too :P But then again it could be ........ Trevler 0.0
Mike Aiello is a creative consultant with Halloween Horror Nights in Japan. As much as I would want him here it would probably be someone else from Art and Design.

First I want to see a damn Resident Evil & Dead Space maze. Lol jk I got to get my ass to HHN!! The event will be over in no time :o
save up money for Orlando next year? Mike Aiello said they were looking into Dead Space and Bioshock at the Youtuber's gathering.

Seems about right. I kind of feel bad saying this but I think it's time for some new blood anyway.
Murdy has more power over Marketing than A&D does. As much as people may criticize him... Murdy, as Mike Sington put it; has "broken so many of the rules and got away with it." Hell (not that people are loving it anyway) don't be surprised if the Terror Tram and the "Backlot experience" disappear if Murdy were to leave.

Murdy has more power over Marketing than A&D does. As much as people may criticize him... Murdy, as Mike Sington put it; has "broken so many of the rules and got away with it." Hell (not that people are loving it anyway) don't be surprised if the Terror Tram and the "Backlot experience" disappear if Murdy were to leave.

Those two are not going to leave and certainly both are not going to leave. That's what ups the capacity.

But I have to agree with Ashton/Rides here. I think it's time for some new blood.

I'm in the bunch that feels the event has been slipping in quality, mainly since they're just not innovating and changing things up.

Just look at the scare zone for New York, not matter what the theme is, look how it's been for years. Fire Towers? Check. Van parked off to the side with Klowz/Monsters/Zombies? Check. Someone in front acting as a barker? Check. They may have a different theme here and there, but the distinctive elements are exactly the same.

Maze-wise, you would think they believe a trigger scare is the only way to scare people, because it's heavily used in every single maze. Sound effect, strobe light, someone popping out of a door or boo hole. Repeat everywhere to the point where you can honestly say that if you've been through one, you've seen them all.

It doesn't help that any other scare is usually a statue/standing still scare or a table/living torso cut in half gag.

Meanwhile, Knotts and Universal Orlando use other scares and elements to make their mazes different. A bungee here, a flyer there, someone under the floor, scares from above, a mirror scare, a crouch tunnel, moving floors, tilted floors, vortex tunnels. The list goes on and on, but why Hollywood doesn't use those other scares and elements is just baffeling.

In all honesty, Hollywood has no excuse to be going through the paces. Especially in a area of competition, it doesn't matter if you're on top or not, if you don't change things up...people will go to places that are giving something fresh or taking risks. You always have to be on your toes. Heck, the local themepark haunt near me, Scarywood is located in the middle of nowhere, and there's no competition anywhere. However, every year they're doing something new and something they've never done before. They could literally sit on their asses every year, but they don't. If they can give something fresh and unique, why can't Hollywood?

• Like 2

Let's hope we do get an additional Creative director next year. Maybe 2014 can be the transition year so John can show the person some things and then have them take over in 2015. I really hope we see a variety of scares next year, that really is the only problem I had with the event this year. Okay that and the use of mannequins in a few scenes. -.- lol

Edited by shark23

Those two are not going to leave and certainly both are not going to leave. That's what ups the capacity. But I have to agree with Ashton/Rides here. I think it's time for some new blood.
It's on studio property. And the studio could care less about the theme park affairs. At any time someone can come in and rent out the lot and film on that location. Murdy is very respected in the industry and knows how to make deals probably better than most people.

I'm in the bunch that feels the event has been slipping in quality, mainly since they're just not innovating and changing things up. Just look at the scare zone for New York, not matter what the theme is, look how it's been for years. Fire Towers? Check. Van parked off to the side with Klowz/Monsters/Zombies? Check. Someone in front acting as a barker? Check. They may have a different theme here and there, but the distinctive elements are exactly the same. Maze-wise, you would think they believe a trigger scare is the only way to scare people, because it's heavily used in every single maze. Sound effect, strobe light, someone popping out of a door or boo hole. Repeat everywhere to the point where you can honestly say that if you've been through one, you've seen them all. It doesn't help that any other scare is usually a statue/standing still scare or a table/living torso cut in half gag. Meanwhile, Knotts and Universal Orlando use other scares and elements to make their mazes different. A bungee here, a flyer there, someone under the floor, scares from above, a mirror scare, a crouch tunnel, moving floors, tilted floors, vortex tunnels. The list goes on and on, but why Hollywood doesn't use those other scares and elements is just baffeling. In all honesty, Hollywood has no excuse to be going through the paces. Especially in a area of competition, it doesn't matter if you're on top or not, if you don't change things up...people will go to places that are giving something fresh or taking risks. You always have to be on your toes. Heck, the local themepark haunt near me, Scarywood is located in the middle of nowhere, and there's no competition anywhere. However, every year they're doing something new and something they've never done before. They could literally sit on their asses every year, but they don't. If they can give something fresh and unique, why can't Hollywood?
Orlando has the luxury of many Soundstages and Two Sprung Tents (specifically built for HHN). So they can use different types of scares. Knott's scary farm also has warehouses and open spaces where they can put their haunted attraction. Hollywood is not only tight spaced but it's a theme park and a movie studio. Our houses are under black tents in cramped spaces in a very small park adjacent to a working movie studio. John Murdy has to work under these conditions of small space and safety regulations that Orlando and Knott's don't have to deal with. Hollywood has every excuse to be doing things how they are doing given their limitations.
  • Like 1