HHN Hollywood 2013 Event Discussion

Okay guys if you went last weekend I can see why you think HHN was in a slope downwards but after going last nite, it felt like that good ol HHN and it felt like the event was complete so I'd have to say HHN is still king but I haven't been to knotts this year, but I can say the event was much more improved yesterday!!

That's good to hear. Maybe HHN just was not ready this year and we're jumping the gun with our reviews. But I mean, if you open then you open, and you gotta be 100 percent and ready for critique. Opening to closing night, it all should be solid. But just hearing the Bill and Ted improvements give me so much hope.

• Like 2

Quality hasn't dropped, your excitement for that quality has dropped. You build up a tolerance to that level of stimuli and so your body doesn't react the same way. The first time I rode Superman Great Escape at Six Flags, I had a much more intense experience than any other time I rode it. This isn't because the ride got worse, I just enjoyed it less because it wasn't as novel.

Cucuy does need a better ending though.

I strongly disagree with this. I think the event has slumped in quality. Compare this year to 2009 or even 2010 and you will see a noticeable difference. Sure, there are some things HHN has improved on since then like the backlot experience and having creature effects from La Llorona and the Thing, but look back at the 2009 behind the screams video; you will hear John say, "Nothing is off the shelf here at Halloween Horror Nights". Now I look back at that video and laugh seeing that now the total opposite is true and that they reuse EVERYTHING.

Also, in 2009 and 2010, go back and tell me how many black walls and blank corridors you saw. The scare zones have gotten smaller and more rehashed every year.

Also, that argument about riding the same ride over makes the novelty slow down...that actually shows how rehashed and stale HHN has gotten. The mazes need to be new every year. Even though they have new themes every year, they don't provide new content. I know you didn't like Knotts this year (Sorry to hear your experience wasn't as enjoyable as you expected), but at least all of the mazes at Knotts had different scares and different effects to make the mazes feel different.

Different scares?

Well there was that one bungee scare. There was that one guy who used a boo hole by literally just standing in the open boo hole, looking at people as they went by. There was one good use of a boo hole. There was one decent sliding door effect. Everything else that could even be called a scare was standing by a corner, stomping your foot, and then screaming something stupid through their Party City mask.

My wife gets freaked out if I do the dishes and a pot slides down into the sink making a sound. Last year she visibly shaken by Saw is the Law. She went through all of the mazes unphased, even when we walked on and were literally the only people in the maze. The only rises we got were annoyance at the actors who thought purposefully coming into contact with us would up the scare or laughter. The scares were different at KSF because they didn't exist. Most of the actors just stood in the middle of the room, kind of watching and maybe lunging a bit. It was ridiculously bad scaring. What innovative or interesting scares did you see? It's entirely possible I missed them, since the mazes were criminally understaffed most of the time.

Edited by ferox

As someone who has worked as a scare actor and now a makeup artist for theme park halloween events for thirteen seasons, I'm virtually unscareable, on top of the fact I just, don't get scared, the only thing that scares me is animal torture and that's not anywhere present at any haunt I've been to that I can recall (hanging cats in ED don't count).

But as far as what I SAW and experienced from HHN this past Saturday, a lot of use of "distraction" in the mazes and an actor just rushing out from a corridor/door/boo hole/etc and some added strobe lights on the actor, cue some music and that was it, now, in the scarezones, not much "scaring" went on from what I saw (minus TWD and The Purge), those two zones took advantage of their space, each other, their props, etc and literally RAN with it, and that's what's enjoyable to me, even at the haunt I work, on our down time I walk the park to check my makeup and also hang out and watch the scares happen, the buddy system is always fantastic when used properly, as are jump scares and distractions.

As others have said, HHN needs new content EVERY YEAR, no exception, people today (myself included) want more, we want everything you can give us that's legal, horror and haunt fans are the best and the worst fans, we're overly critical but when it's done right, we praise it like its a god.

• Like 2

A great stab? All they did was call it gay. That's just lazy.

Not to defend Bill and Ted, but come up with a better joke than "it's gay."

"Must get job at Universal' "For the walking dead maze?" "No... write Bill & Ted show." I thought that was pretty funny. Literally killed two subjects with one.

• Like 1

Animal torture doesn't even have to be TORTURE, the damn ASPCA commercials are enough to bother me and I work in a vet hospital, however, there's very few (in fact I can only think of the scene in The Collector) animal torture scenes that have ever bothered me so I'm not worried about running into it in a maze, it's the films I worry about seeing it in.

The hanging was better than B&T this year....

IDK I seen it and I just cant enjoy the hanging I have never enjoyed it just always seemed just try way to hard and fall flat The Walking Dead/Bill and Ted joke was good but other then that it's just like heres something from pop culture with bad costume design.....you suck.... punch....kill......look something else look another Priceline and or Jack Sparrow joke that is not relivent...gay joke....poop joke Awesome Stunt....lets hang so and so it all runs togather to me.

Not the place man and I doubt we will ever see scream again while Murdy is at the helm.

EVERYONE has forgoten about Scarymovie.....that being said it still ruined GF.

Murdy said he'd only be working for a single digit amount of years, didn't he?

If so, this is his 8th. Next year may be his last. It's possible this one is his last. D:

EDIT: Lol, I'm so out of it today. I wrote "last year may be his last" Lol. But what if it was.. O.O

Edited by Kurseddragon