Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

I cannot see presidential assassination being touched on in a house. Vague references that maybe only diehard fans could connect yes, but not something the GP could point too. This is an event that is less than 100 yrs old. And while that may seem a great time to many, the children and grandchildren of those involved in this incident are most likely still alive.

When I first heard of a prison house that would involve an execution that was based on true events, I became anxious that my family could end up connected to the event. I had a great uncle (by marriage, not blood related) who was executed in the Ohio State electric chair.

I think this is a great point, and I completely agree. Doing something politically incorrect in a politically-charged country like ours is definitely NOT smart. Universal execs wouldn't want to point their organization in any political direction to begin with, I'm sure, for fear of alienating a whole part of the country...and if a house depicting presidential assassination is in there, it says volumes to the GP in regards to their political standing, whether or not it's actually accurate of Universal's political persuasion. I also didn't take into consideration the "real people" aspect to this. It's true that grandchildren or great grandchildren of people involved might be alive, and that would be another MAJOR faux paus. I truly doubt Universal would ever base a house on any real-life event that caused anyone severe, personal trauma like that. Of course, we could argue that a house like nightingales is, then, being insensitive. However, a war and an event pertaining to specific individuals can be viewed as different. Of course, I don't think an event like 9/11 would ever make it to a house, simply because of the sensitivity issue, obviously. Idk, it's a tough line to tread.

EDIT: To put it simply, anything that could result in a lawsuit due to a perceived degree of insensitivity, disrespect, or political incorrectness will be avoided at all costs. At least, that's the sense I get.

Edited by justchristy

I think this is a great point, and I completely agree. Doing something politically incorrect in a politically-charged country like ours is definitely NOT smart. Universal execs wouldn't want to point their organization in any political direction to begin with, I'm sure, for fear of alienating a whole part of the country...and if a house depicting presidential assassination is in there, it says volumes to the GP in regards to their political standing, whether or not it's actually accurate of Universal's political persuasion. I also didn't take into consideration the "real people" aspect to this. It's true that grandchildren or great grandchildren of people involved might be alive, and that would be another MAJOR faux paus. I truly doubt Universal would ever base a house on any real-life event that caused anyone severe, personal trauma like that. Of course, we could argue that a house like nightingales is, then, being insensitive. However, a war and an event pertaining to specific individuals can be viewed as different. Of course, I don't think an event like 9/11 would ever make it to a house, simply because of the sensitivity issue, obviously. Idk, it's a tough line to tread.

EDIT: To put it simply, anything that could result in a lawsuit due to a perceived degree of insensitivity, disrespect, or political incorrectness will be avoided at all costs. At least, that's the sense I get.

Out of share curiosity, I googled Anton Cermak(the Chicago mayor who was killed). His son-in-law was the 33rd Govenor of Illinois and his grandson, who was present at the assassination, was the 1983 president of the AMA. There are also numerous geneology boards dedicated to his descendants/ancestors.

I think it would be definitely safer for Uni to avoid using or referencing Zangara.

Inspiration is one thing, but direct references or usage could cause issues.

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 1

The Caretaker was based partly on Mengele and USH featured multiple serial killers in the HOTC maze. So it's hard to say what is too far.

It is hard to say what too far might be in many aspects. I'm just having difficulty seeing the higher ups approving a maze that's main element (it would be main since Zangara was executed for the assassination of Cermak) on a politically sensitive topic. Especially after last year's B&T kerfluffle.

EDIT: The Caretaker's backstory was far enough removed from Mengele that most people would never make the association.

Edited by mystiquephreeq

If it is indeed based off this person, I'm sure it's in inspiration only, or they're using one aspect of the story as a springboard to do their own thing. I have a very hard time imagining that there'll be mug shots of this guy on marketing collateral, or that A&D will have us go through his mouth for the facade or anything like that. More than likely, unless you're a superfan like us, you won't even know that is has inspiration in reality.

• Like 1

If it is indeed based off this person, I'm sure it's in inspiration only, or they're using one aspect of the story as a springboard to do their own thing. I have a very hard time imagining that there'll be mug shots of this guy on marketing collateral, or that A&D will have us go through his mouth for the facade or anything like that. More than likely, unless you're a superfan like us, you won't even know that is has inspiration in reality.

Though his mouth 0.o

BAHAHA.

No definitely not going through his mouth. :P

About Heather's family... Zangara spoke with a near comical thick Italian accent and was a tiny man. I personally do not buy the "he was secretly a mafia hitman and intended to kill Cernak all along theory", for one thing every Chicagoan of a certain age will swear up and down that Cernak "threw himself in the path of the bullets" to save FDR.

Also the particulars of the assassination, the folding chair collapsing, the lady with the hat, etc. just make him almost comically inept. I just cant't help thinking of Chico Marx!

So getting back to Heather's family, or rather her husband's. Groucho Marx once played a character named Dr. Hugo Z. Hackenbush which was humorously mispronounced by Chico throughout A Day at the Races. At one point he calls him "Quack inna bush". In fact, the character was originally called "Quackenbush" in the script but was changed for fear that a real life Dr. Quackenbush might sue!

Also in regard to Heather's family is this... if rumors and whispers are correct... the chair in question may turn out to be the same one after all!

The Caretaker was based partly on Mengele and USH featured multiple serial killers in the HOTC maze. So it's hard to say what is too far.

The serial killers "featured" in the HOTC maze are mentioned because of their use in the movie as part of the tourist trap. Hence why they were mentioned in the house. But if I recall correctly the main focus of the house was the Firefly family and Dr. Satan (not real serial killers). There's a difference between mentioning them and featuring/focusing on them.

Edited by nikifury138

Could be you folks look to deep. Although I guess you are conditioned to no? Really, I'm not posting anymore hints... Everyone is too smart for me to come up with ways to hide stuff...

You are jumping to conclusions as most of my "hints" are just in jokes to myself.

OK I will say one more thing... Here is a clue, everything you need to know about the last house has already been revealed in this thread... In as much, at least, as everything that is known so far. Obviosuly things have strayed far from the course so you may want to go back to the beginning.

Based on these three posts I am laying odds that our inside the mind of a killer house is taking place in Carey, Ohio. JDW's post uses the first letter of each sentence to spell out Carey, Ohio and, based on Heather's comment about her relative and the Doctor saying it might be the same chair, we can assume he was implying that our criminal was executed in Ohio.

Does this mean we are looking at a more fictionalized version of Zangara (since he was executed in Florida)? I am not sure. Could this somehow tie into the fact that LT has performed investigations in Carey before? That is uncertain at best. All I know is, it does seem to open up the door to those possibilities.

My money is still on La Llorona as an icon (assuming there is one) and this just being the LT house (much like Wyandot Estate in 2010).

• Like 4

Based on these three posts I am laying odds that our inside the mind of a killer house is taking place in Carey, Ohio. JDW's post uses the first letter of each sentence to spell out Carey, Ohio and, based on Heather's comment about her relative and the Doctor saying it might be the same chair, we can assume he was implying that our criminal was executed in Ohio.

Does this mean we are looking at a more fictionalized version of Zangara (since he was executed in Florida)? I am not sure. Could this somehow tie into the fact that LT has performed investigations in Carey before? That is uncertain at best. All I know is, it does seem to open up the door to those possibilities.

My money is still on La Llorona as an icon (assuming there is one) and this just being the LT house (much like Wyandot Estate in 2010).

Regarding JDW's post and how you noticed that.. I had to chime in and say I am duly impressed.

Carry on.

• Like 3

Bravo!

Ohio has been mentioned a few times. Someone even postulated this. (Can't remember who)

But it was after my post explaining nicknames for the electric chair.

Old Sparky has been called Old Sparky in several states...

EDIT: Fixed quote box.

Edited by mystiquephreeq

Just wanted to thrown in a possible idea. La Llorona isn't a well known name or story and is possibly just misdirection. La Llorona's story is very similar to the urban legend of "The Lady In White", perhaps La Llorona is a hint that we'll get a Woman In Black, the movie style of spook house. That movie was full of jump scares and was filled with super creepy atmosphere.

Based on these three posts I am laying odds that our inside the mind of a killer house is taking place in Carey, Ohio. JDW's post uses the first letter of each sentence to spell out Carey, Ohio

Gee what and odd coincidence ;)

• Like 1

Let me explain why we dont need icons (and I love icons)

There sometime over used (Jack) or for the most part only the hardcore fan base knows who the person is.. Most ppl just go on the HHN site to see what the mazes are and get tickets.. They dont want backstories or any of the other cool goodies us hardcore fans want. Most Haunts (Like 95%) dont even have an icon to there Haunt let alone a storyline.

The last icon (Lady Luck) wasnt even a A&D creation, it was a marketing tool (hell Marketing wrote the backstory to her) and it bomb big time.

Im beyond happy that TJ, Rick and others finally got a yr round site now (Legendary Truth) cause to be honest MOST haunts talk ALL yr long to the fanbase, so why can HHN.

Rant is almost over but if you want to learn more about LT this yr join the 'Unoffical' Facebook group, heck Goth Wackee talks on it
https://www.facebook.com/groups/233324606793724/

• Like 1

About Heather's family... Zangara spoke with a near comical thick Italian accent and was a tiny man. I personally do not buy the "he was secretly a mafia hitman and intended to kill Cernak all along theory", for one thing every Chicagoan of a certain age will swear up and down that Cernak "threw himself in the path of the bullets" to save FDR.

Also the particulars of the assassination, the folding chair collapsing, the lady with the hat, etc. just make him almost comically inept. I just cant't help thinking of Chico Marx!

So getting back to Heather's family, or rather her husband's. Groucho Marx once played a character named Dr. Hugo Z. Hackenbush which was humorously mispronounced by Chico throughout A Day at the Races. At one point he calls him "Quack inna bush". In fact, the character was originally called "Quackenbush" in the script but was changed for fear that a real life Dr. Quackenbush might sue!

Also in regard to Heather's family is this... if rumors and whispers are correct... the chair in question may turn out to be the same one after all!

Let's hope the chair is the only thing that's shared!

Considering my Sicilian ancestry (this comes from my Ohio blood relatives) and the animosity that exists between Italians and Sicilians....

I also have Hessian ancestry from the same side! Oh, and moonshiners and bootleggers.

This is why I love it when Carey is connected or even rumored to be connected. I may get the chance to pick my father's brain for Ohio info!

(Just don't have me investigate my executed uncle by marriage. It would be awkward)

• Like 2

From what I hear she is not Hollywood's version but completely redesigned by Orlando A&D.

Yeah, It really seems like a no brainer that they would do a different llorona IF we get her as an icon. We know they can do really great icons so I have no fear that la llorona will be just a rehash.

seemed obvious to me.

More thoughts:

It's easy to connect the houses... this year more than some in the past. They already have parallels but they don't have to all match up anyway. Fear's link was just about things to fear. BM's was phobias. The Director's was movies. The caretaker... Death? I can't say those houses really meshed together for me. It's really just an overall theme with the most tenuious of connections.

It doesn't have to be an ICON either.

For example use Cabin in the woods as the theme.

Cabin in the woods is The Organization, an occult and ritualistic entitiy that contains monster in order to fullfill their ritual to keep all mankind safe... sort of the antihero.

LT could easily tie to them as a branch. Say the branch that initially investigates anomalies prior to containment.

Now each house ties into CITW as an individual choice for the sacrifice. So, in essence, you are the sacrifice and you are choosing that particular method.

BUT an ICON could easily be made to tie the event further. Say our IFRIT (who is an infernal Jinn of fire and chaos). they can be good or bad. An IFRIT is created from the blood of a sacrifice... Boom CITW sacrifice. Perhaps a Jinn was created in one of the rituals who is either trying to warn us of the Organization or is trying to trick us so that we become a sacrifice as well for its own nefarious pleasue. So then LT is sent out by the Organization to capture the Jinn before more colllateral damage is done.

• Like 4

The serial killers "featured" in the HOTC maze are mentioned because of their use in the movie as part of the tourist trap. Hence why they were mentioned in the house. But if I recall correctly the main focus of the house was the Firefly family and Dr. Satan (not real serial killers). There's a difference between mentioning them and featuring/focusing on them.

They did a lot more than mention the real life killers. The first scene had a wall covered in serial killers. After that was the prop Ed Gein (announced over the maze's sound system) standing above a chopped up corpse with a cleaver plunged into her flesh. Then there was a prop Albert Fish with his name written in huge letters over him. They featured a real life child killer. It wasn't the focus, but it was the central feature of a few rooms. I know why they are there, but HHN still chose to use that property and include those scenes. Personally I thought it was a nice touch, but I know a lot of people would be really offended by using a real life serial killer.

But the political angle does change things. Especially since our current president gets more way death threats than previous presidents. On this coast people were really offended about Mitt Romney jokes. Of course they were fine with the gay jokes, black jokes, domestic abuse jokes, and the implied rape of Justin Bieber. But making fun of Mitt Romney was too far. I'm not sure where the GP draws the line and how to compare Hollywood's GP to Orlando's GP and the effect Disney has on the area (didn't that cause some hub bub with Bloody Mary billboards?) but I'm just throwing info out there to consider. It is also noteworthy that since Orlando is looking at La Llorona, there's going to be some drowned children which is going to ruffle the feathers of people who don't get that something called "Halloween Horror Nights" is going to be gruesome at times.

They did a lot more than mention the real life killers. The first scene had a wall covered in serial killers. After that was the prop Ed Gein (announced over the maze's sound system) standing above a chopped up corpse with a cleaver plunged into her flesh. Then there was a prop Albert Fish with his name written in huge letters over him. They featured a real life child killer. It wasn't the focus, but it was the central feature of a few rooms. I know why they are there, but HHN still chose to use that property and include those scenes. Personally I thought it was a nice touch, but I know a lot of people would be really offended by using a real life serial killer.

Thanks for clearing that up. The videos of the house I had seen really didn't capture much of the opening scenes, so I missed a lot of that.