Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

I feel like CitW would end up being kind of like the Silver Screams house, not that I'd complain. That is one of my favorite houses. But the motif of basically going through and seeing each of these famous horror creatures/monsters/men/etc from different movies (albeit in knock off form) would be similar. I'd hope to God they'd have the cenobite look-a-likes in the house. They were the best creatures in the whole movie.

In short, I'd look forward to it.

Like many others, I'd hope if they are doing Walking Dead that the prison would be incorporated. In fact, just have it be the whole maze. The Walking Dead: Break Out, or something along those lines.

Dr. Jimmy planned on 8 cryptic comments, I hope for more in the future. I really believe that we are getting 8 houses seeing that only 8 comments were planned so far. Each cryptic comment must portrays each one of the 8 houses.

I just really hope we get some of those puppets used here. I really want to see a giant Llorona eating the kid lol.

which means the crowds this year will be just as bad....

Hopefully we will get 8 houses. Plus hopefully Transformers will be open during HHN so that might help.

Unless something happens, it seems like 8 houses is what we'll have again this year. I think last year was the exception, with all the construction going on right in the middle of the park.

Plus, if Transformers and the Simpsons expansions are open, hopefully that'll help keep people busy. It would also be nice if they added a third show, but...

Not passing any sort of judgement here, as I have no idea how big of fans you are of the larger horror genre at all. Just wanted to make that disclaimer now, in case this comes off as a "I'm more a horror guy than you." :) But for me, I loved it. I've seen so many films that follow this same generic plot: teenagers go to "abandoned/isolated/vacant/etc." "house/amusement park/hospital/cabin/etc." where they find themselves terrorized by "hillbillies/cannibals/slasher/demon/science experiment/monster/alien/dinosaur/etc." until only one is left.

So many of them are so terribly awful, that CitW was the perfect sort of summary piece to them. It felt like it was written to me, and burnt out grizzled fans like me. Instead of just retreading the same story beats, it added a layer to it. Instead of repeating it, the film instead told us WHY it happens (and why so often), while concurrently creating a reflection upon and critique of the genre and its tropes. The characters become actors performing roles, the control room directs their performance and actions, and even the audience becomes the Ancient Ones watching the ritual unfold and demanding blood, suffering, and sacrifice. It's a brilliant bit of writing, and a really unique twist to a very tired sub-genre of horror. And it made me, a very caustic audience goer, actually giggle during the movie several times.

Are there some plot issues? Sure. But show me a movie, especially in this genre, that doesn't have those. What I choose rather to focus on is that it's a celebration of the film we've seen countless variations of, with a little bit of a wink to the audience. I very much appreciate and love the obvious affection they have for the genre. And while I doubt all, if any, of that will be present in the house (if indeed it does show up at HHN this year), just to be a part of something like that excites me to no end. From all the houses rumored to be happening, this is in my top two of houses I'm looking forward to, and I'm hoping that both the grizzled horror fan and the grizzled haunt fan in me come out laughing and grinning every time I walk through this house.

• Like 6

the only thing i hope for in the CiTW house is they have a big bat fly over, cause being 6'4" the ceiling scares tend to get me more than most because im already pretty close to the "top" of most of the houses so send something over my head and ill flip out lol

but as far as the simpson expansion and trasformers opening and an 8th house it HAS to help with eating up the people, last year it was constantly at compacity and i dont believe compacity was smaller due to so many things shut down, so with another 45-60 minute wait house and a minimum of a 30 minute wait extra ride, it has to significantly help with wait times and also more houses and rides means more beer stands :D

but as far as the simpson expansion and trasformers opening and an 8th house it HAS to help with eating up the people, last year it was constantly at compacity and i dont believe compacity was smaller due to so many things shut down, so with another 45-60 minute wait house and a minimum of a 30 minute wait extra ride, it has to significantly help with wait times and also more houses and rides means more beer stands :D

lines would've been bad last year still, but with an eighth house, there's no way EVERY house would be over 2 hours on peak nights and non-peak nights would've been much more bearable. TWD would still hit around 3 hours, but not SH. P&T wouldn't have passed 2 hours and the others probably wouldn't have even hit 2 hours. with another house to hold a 90 min line and a ride with an even longer line, wait times should be a little more evened out this time.

I don't see the simpsons expansion doing anything for the crowds honestly. Sure, There will be a new restaurant and another place to get alcohol, but the only ride is a small spinner that i don't see even being open for HHN. But maybe cuz it's new they'll open it. The area will be big enough for a fully themed SZ though...

And i don't think the event needs more beer stands. There's enough alcohol as it is lol

I mean don't get me wrong it was a fun movie.

Oh Yeah **** Spoiler ****

But who in there right mind would design a high tech facility to purge all the lethal creatures into the the main work area? and... even if that was for some reason necessary... why wouldn't you actually guard the button? Heck why a button at all? Some kind of double fail key system or retinal scan... Not a big red shiny button you can accidentally press?

Trying to put logic into that is kind of like trying to figure out how Jason lived all those years. Or why Freddy got Burned but his clothes weren't lol :lol:

Or How did Michael Myers learn to drive? where did he learn? lol

I mean, there are things that make absolutely no sense when it comes to horror movies. The button in Cabin in the woods didn't bother me because of the awesome mayhem we got to see. It was such a rewarding scene.

I think the ending of that movie is one of the best endings I've seen from a horror movie. It was just great.

I mean, I can understand why people might hate it.

but I thought the movie was amazing.

Edited by LV-426

Trying to put logic into that is kind of like trying to figure out how Jason lived all those years. Or why Freddy got Burned but his clothes weren't lol :lol:

Or How did Michael Myers learn to drive? where did he learn? lol

I mean, there are things that make absolutely no sense when it comes to horror movies. The button in Cabin in the woods didn't bother me because of the awesome mayhem we got to see. It was such a rewarding scene.

I think the ending of that movie is one of the best endings I've seen from a horror movie. It was just great.

I mean, I can understand why people might hate it.

but I thought the movie was amazing.

Well I'm a high functioning autistic... Illogical things grate on my nerves lol. I can let a lot go but that bit just made no sense to me... Unless it was INTENDED to be satire. It didn't come off that way. But regardless. The acting was bad, they were trying to force too much into 1hr and 45 min, and the characters never were developed. It had great actors in the film.. they never got the chance to actually... well act. But hey it's my opinion and I'm obviously in the minority. I was excited by all the hype but it really did let me down. That isn't to say the idea isn't unique or the monsters wern't cool.

Regardless i still think it will make for an interesting house and would makke a great overall theme.

Please excuse this slightly OT post, although it is a bit speculative about something.

OK, lets just say as a teenager Fred Krueger had a summer job as a camp counselor at Crystal Lake. One day he distracts the camp cook, Pamela Voorhees by telling her about how the other counselors have snuck off together to have sex. While she runs off in anger to find them, he lures Pam's young "special needs" son, Jason to the lake for a swim.

He holds the boy underwater until he loses consciousness and tells the other children that Jason drowned. Then he abducts the boy and drives off with him on a road trip across the country. At the camp, following Mrs. Voorhees bloody revenge, it was assumed that young Krueger, (who hadn't given his true address or name) was another victim of the "Camp Blood Killer" and that Jason's body was still on the bottom of the lake.

Traveling across the country, Krueger tells Jason he had drowned and was now in Hell for his sin of disobeying his beloved mother by swimming in the lake. Jason will now actually allow Krueger to torture and abuse him because he feels he deserves it.

They make their way to Illinois, and the mental institution that houses young Michael Myers. Freddy has read about Michael and is excited to meet him. He bribes a corrupt orderly to get access to Michael. Although he remains silent, Michael somehow recognizes the kindred spirits in Freddy and Jason, and he eagerly spends an afternoon with them listening carefully to Krueger's instructions on various killing methods, likely escape routes from the hospital and the operation of a motor vehicle. Although there is no practical instruction, as they cannot leave the room, Michael's brilliant imaginative memory allows him to literally "learn to drive in his mind" just from Krueger's verbal instructions.

After that stop Freddy and Jason continue west, to visit Krueger's cousins, the Sawyer family of Texas.

Eventually Jason learns he is still alive and not in Hell, and escapes, making his way back to New Jersey in time to see some young girl decapitate his mother.

Freddy returns to Springwood and is hired at a groundskeeper at the local elementary school.

Michael quietly awaits for the proper moment to carry out the escape scenario according to Freddy's instructions.

• Like 5

In my opinion CitW was a commentary of what horror movies have become in recent years. The "Gods" are us, the audience, with the sacrifices being the cliched films that are made by Hollywood in an attempt to appease us, but fail because we are sick of seeing the same things over and over. The acting, storyline, etc. were meant to be cheesy.

Edited by Danielle1001
  • Like 1

I spent 6 months of my life stuck in a "gifted" class that assumed doing nothing but puzzles as class work was a good idea.

Yep, I got a middle school grade for doing nothing but cryptograms, rhebus puzzles, jumbles, word searches, fill ins, crosswords, anagrams etc etc etc.

*headdesk* Sometimes I think Florida's school system is doomed. This was a substitute class for reading, because I was "advanced". Advanced means my teachers had no clue what to do with a student who wanted to learn.

So, I get to do another Jumble? Yay!!

*waits patiently*

Me too!!! Maybe that's why all I want to do is puzzles and the like when I AM in classes now! :huh:

I mean don't get me wrong it was a fun movie.

Oh Yeah **** Spoiler ****

But who in there right mind would design a high tech facility to purge all the lethal creatures into the the main work area? and... even if that was for some reason necessary... why wouldn't you actually guard the button? Heck why a button at all? Some kind of double fail key system or retinal scan... Not a big red shiny button you can accidentally press?

Am i the only one who thought of HAVOC: DOGS OF WAR???

Idk, cuz Havoc was a pretty high tech house, lethal "creatures"(soldiers?) it also had a big red button in there like 2010's Psychoscareapy did.

Am i the only one who thought of HAVOC: DOGS OF WAR???

Idk, cuz Havoc was a pretty high tech house, lethal "creatures"(soldiers?) it also had a big red button in there like 2010's Psychoscareapy did.

The button did nothing in Havoc, and it was actually the cheap house that year. They just repainted Spawning and changed some props. Even some of the water effects remained fully intact. Edited by Legacy

There is something that made me wonder about the return of Walking Dead.

Could they have the Walking Dead return next year? or the year after? Could they make the Walking Dead into a permanent haunt? I mean let's just say they completely do well this year, they sell out again, people really love the Walking Dead and this year ends up being better than the last. What then? I don't think they will turn away the cash cow....

Makes me wonder, how long could they have this IP for?