Any Horror Night inside tips?

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions about how to get the most bang for your buck at Horror Night? I was looking through the Icon summaries page on this site and I noticed that at HHN XV, apparently, they did a special thing in which the evil queen was sacrificed at midnight on the last night. Are there any other times when the experience may be different than other nights? Are there any tendencies for certain dates/times to have special, unique events? Are there any dates/times one should be looking out for? My friends and I have been going to Horror Night for eight years now (nine this year) and we're always looking for ways to better maximize our experiences. Any suggestions?

If anything special does occur, it usually would be on the very last night of the event, during the last set, often in the scarezones. In 2005 when the Terra Queen was sacrificed, that must have been something that was planned out ahead of time, but the scareactors will often go above and beyond or have more fun on the very last night to go out with a bang.

This is a video I recorded in Fear Revealed on closing night to show you what I mean:

Also, if you and your friends want to maximize your experiences, you should order a Horror Night Nightmares T-Shirt ;)

They make scarezones 10x more fun

If anything special does occur, it usually would be on the very last night of the event, during the last set, often in the scarezones. In 2005 when the Terra Queen was sacrificed, that must have been something that was planned out ahead of time, but the scareactors will often go above and beyond or have more fun on the very last night to go out with a bang.

This is a video I recorded in Fear Revealed on closing night to show you what I mean:

Also, if you and your friends want to maximize your experiences, you should order a Horror Night Nightmares T-Shirt ;)

They make scarezones 10x more fun

I see. So we'll definitely try to make it for the last night this year.

Thanks for the video too! That was really cool. I wish I'd been there to see it live.

And I definitely think I may just take you up on the T-shirt idea. They do look cool, afterall. Are you saying that the scareactors tend to give special attention to people wearing these shirts? If so, then I'm definitely scoring one!

The Terra Queen sacrifice was a reward for people who solved the puzzle of Terra Cruentes. It primarily involved the website, and was Universal's first attempt at an Alternative Reality Game (AGR). To my knowledge, it happened after the last set and was only for the honorary guests who figured it out and the production team. Eelmouth can probably explain it better, if he lurks during the off-season. The whole thing was essentially the predecessor of Legendary Truth.

For all respects and purposes, the only changes that occur on the final night are the attitudes. Depending on the cast of a house or scarezone, it can mean an extra fun final set (like XX Years), or an extra agressive set (Catacombs was that way to people we didn't recognize as fans). Bill and Ted might have a bit more improv than normal. (Yes, in 2006 they changed the villain from Lex Luther to Dr. Evil on the final night, but that wasn't suppose to be a "special thing." There were other reasons.)

Management and the directors don't really want changes during the last set. The mindset is that a lot of the guests there on the final night only go to HHN that night, and they deserve just as terrifying an experience as the people who showed up on opening night. In the past, there use to be a lot more leneancy in what scareactors could get away with (The first Screamhouse's final set had both casts in the house for double-scares), but the attitude changed drastically because of some issues in 2003.

Being a vet, you probably already know most of the tips to maximize the event (Express Pass being chief among them). The "special things" will stem from outside participation in things such as Legendary Truth and, actually, being an active member of Nightmares.

The Terra Queen sacrifice was a reward for people who solved the puzzle of Terra Cruentes. It primarily involved the website, and was Universal's first attempt at an Alternative Reality Game (AGR). To my knowledge, it happened after the last set and was only for the honorary guests who figured it out and the production team. Eelmouth can probably explain it better, if he lurks during the off-season. The whole thing was essentially the predecessor of Legendary Truth.

For all respects and purposes, the only changes that occur on the final night are the attitudes. Depending on the cast of a house or scarezone, it can mean an extra fun final set (like XX Years), or an extra agressive set (Catacombs was that way to people we didn't recognize as fans). Bill and Ted might have a bit more improv than normal. (Yes, in 2006 they changed the villain from Lex Luther to Dr. Evil on the final night, but that wasn't suppose to be a "special thing." There were other reasons.)

Management and the directors don't really want changes during the last set. The mindset is that a lot of the guests there on the final night only go to HHN that night, and they deserve just as terrifying an experience as the people who showed up on opening night. In the past, there use to be a lot more leneancy in what scareactors could get away with (The first Screamhouse's final set had both casts in the house for double-scares), but the attitude changed drastically because of some issues in 2003.

Being a vet, you probably already know most of the tips to maximize the event (Express Pass being chief among them). The "special things" will stem from outside participation in things such as Legendary Truth and, actually, being an active member of Nightmares.

Ah, I see. So, going on the last night is still a valid idea, given the "go out with a bang" mentality, but looking for a special change isn't likely. Thanks for the advice.

So, how does participating in Legendary Truth and this site change things? Since there are people here who work within the event, is it just the fact that they may have some tips on what to look for, or is there something else about participating in these sites?

Ah, I see. So, going on the last night is still a valid idea, given the "go out with a bang" mentality, but looking for a special change isn't likely. Thanks for the advice.

So, how does participating in Legendary Truth and this site change things? Since there are people here who work within the event, is it just the fact that they may have some tips on what to look for, or is there something else about participating in these sites?

Legendary Truth (in 2008 at least), was essentially a scavenger hunt through the park during Horror Nights. There are numerous people on the boards who participated in the process (which involved a month-long build to the website reveal and get-togethers and Q&As with "members" of LT during the event). It was something that allowed the HHN fan-boys and girls to get more out of the even than just houses and scarezones.

It remains to be seen how it may return. Last year, members of the Collective were the ones who "unwittingly" released Fear (Adaru). There some issues with the LT process leading up to event that, I believe, may have caused some plans for HHN proper to get scrapped (speculatory on my part). However, if LT does come back, you will get 10-times more backstory for the event than what simply reading the website would provide.

Participating on Nightmares helps the event for different reasons. One, you have the opportunity to become known by numerous scareactors who may take opportunities for extra-special scares. Secondly, because many of the people on Nightmares are repeat guests, they tend to create their own "things" to add to the event. Ridiculously brilliant/disasterous things like bringing stuffed cats through houses to get harassed. Thirdly, Universal A&D does lurk these boards (HI GUYS!), and once used the names of active posters on HHN fan-sites as grafitii in a scarezone. If you didn't participate, you would have no idea.

Dude when its dark and you can bearly see its hard to distinguish what people look like less so what they are wearing.

well, Im not a scareactor or anything, that's what I was told by people here, so...yeah I didnt know lol :P

It's been a few years since I've been on the last night (since I moved away from FL), but the last time I did was in 2004, I remember the scareactors just having fun and being silly, as opposed to trying to be more aggressive. I remember going through Castle Vampyr and the vampires having boxes of Count Chocula and just being funny. This was really fun for those of us who had been going all season but I did feel bad for any guests who were only going that one night. Sounds like management has cracked down on this kind of behavior?!?!

Edited by Creeper06

• 1 month later...

When you get scared dont run it just gets the Scareactors more excited...i noted this when my cuzin ran out last year of Psycoscareepy while she was running the scare acotors just pumped up the pace and got more into character(which i loved!!!)..so yea just dont show fear..course you have to show a little because all scare actors aim for that tough guy that acts like hes not afraid

Personally I recommend Stay and Scream. You have much more opportunities to knock some houses out before the park officially opens doing that.

This. Last year I did Stay and Scream and within two hours we did every house. Definitely worth the money considering it was only an extra 15 bucks.

This. Last year I did Stay and Scream and within two hours we did every house. Definitely worth the money considering it was only an extra 15 bucks.

I do the stay and scream every year because of my annaul pass but last year when I went to HHN with my sister she bought the ticket to where she was able to go inside Universal but not til 2:00 pm. With that being said the stay and scream is one of the best things to do at HHN besides getting an express pass. We litterally did every house and scarezone within hours after opening. We did Legendary Truth first and were like one of the first 2 people to go in... :) In my opinion you can't beat doing the stay and scream it really makes all the differance...

• 1 month later...

the shirt does help a lot, the horror nights shirt,

I also read that wearing a mickey shirt or hat makes you a target automatically lol

uhh... about that, indeed it is true that they will target anyone with disney-related paraphenalia. But one thing i learned (from having a Frequent Fear Pass) is that it's not just about "the mouse" who gets targeted either either. if i remember well, during the times i went last year, i experimented with other character hats (i.e. Stitch, and of course, Figment), and it did work out quite well.