HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

I don't see why it wouldn't be HHN related.

Who thinks the Plague Doctors get loose?

As much I would love to see that happen, I don't think so. I don't think we're going to see any sequels this year. Most of Mr. Aiello's pictures are of the Notre Dame de Strasbourg. This reason leads me to believe that I think it is possible that the Hunchback of Notre Dame could be somewhat involved in a house. I know that this may be conflicting the "no movie house" rule that they are going by now, but he could just make an appearance. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is Universal intellectual property, so they could use an idea loosely based around the Lon Chaney, Sr. movie.

As much I would love to see that happen, I don't think so. I don't think we're going to see any sequels this year. Most of Mr. Aiello's pictures are of the Notre Dame de Strasbourg. This reason leads me to believe that I think it is possible that the Hunchback of Notre Dame could be somewhat involved in a house. I know that this may be conflicting the "no movie house" rule that they are going by now, but he could just make an appearance. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is Universal intellectual property, so they could use an idea loosely based around the Lon Chaney, Sr. movie.

Yeah but hunchback was a movie before the book

Or, it could be the novel version and not focused on movie at all. It was a Victor Hugo novel first. That could lead us back to the Literature Theme for the event. The Hunchback took place in Paris though, not Strasbourg.

It could go either way. Cathedrals had direct access to the Catacombs in France for the purpose of burying the dead after a ceremony quickly. It couldn't be too inconceivable that it is a way the Doctors escape: Through a church. The Plague itself also led to a great deal of religious turmoil with the belief that it was a curse from God. Flangellants whipped themselves as a penance to God to prevent infection (a character I would love to see). Cathedrals where used as hospitals and quarantines. A cathedral as a soundstage facade leading to a 15th Century "Black Plague" house would be AMAZING (and could tie in with Hollywood and the research Murdy is doing on French wigs).

Shoot, the Cult of Fear, instead of taking over a little brown in a vale, could take over a whole frickin' CATHEDRAL! How epic would that be?

FUN FINDS ON WIKI -

"The legend of the wind blowing around the cathedral is as follows: In olden days, the Devil flew over the ground, riding the wind. Thus he caught a glimpse of his portrait carved onto the cathedral: the Tempter, courting the foolish virgins (Matthew 25:1-13), in the guise of a seductive young man. It is true that his back opens up and toads and snakes come out of it, but none of the naïve girls notices that — nor do many tourists for that matter. Very flattered and curious, the Devil had the idea to enter to see whether there were other sculptures representing him on the inside of the cathedral. Taken captive inside the holy place, he could not come back out. The wind always waits in the square and still howls today from impatience on the places outside the cathedral. The Devil, furious, makes air currents from the bottom of the church to the height of the pillar of angels."

"The cathedral's south transept houses an 18-metre astronomical clock, one of the largest in the world." (The Mayans were wrong theme)

"During World War II, Strasbourg's Cathedral was seen as a symbol for both warring parties. Adolf Hitler, who visited it on 28 June 1940, intended to transform the church into a "national sanctuary of the German people" (Alternate Past Theme)

Edited by Legacy

*sings* Morning in Paris, the city awakes to the bells of notre dame. The Fisherman fishes, the bakerman bakes, to the bells of notre dame.... (KYRIE ELESION) **stops singing*

Anyways, Hunchback WAS the first Universal Monster, and I love the idea of Plague Doctors escaping through the Notre Dame du Strausbourg.... :)

Or, it could be the novel version and not focused on movie at all. It was a Victor Hugo novel first. That could lead us back to the Literature Theme for the event. The Hunchback took place in Paris though, not Strasbourg.

It could go either way. Cathedrals had direct access to the Catacombs in France for the purpose of burying the dead after a ceremony quickly. It couldn't be too inconceivable that it is a way the Doctors escape: Through a church. The Plague itself also led to a great deal of religious turmoil with the belief that it was a curse from God. Flangellants whipped themselves as a penance to God to prevent infection (a character I would love to see). Cathedrals where used as hospitals and quarantines. A cathedral as a soundstage facade leading to a 15th Century "Black Plague" house would be AMAZING (and could tie in with Hollywood and the research Murdy is doing on French wigs).

Shoot, the Cult of Fear, instead of taking over a little brown in a vale, could take over a whole frickin' CATHEDRAL! How epic would that be?

You really see them taking the route of Religion? I mean me personally I don't care, but being that this is a public event and a lot of people are strong in faith I can just see that being a little to risky.

You really see them taking the route of Religion? I mean me personally I don't care, but being that this is a public event and a lot of people are strong in faith I can just see that being a little to risky.

They've done snuff films and hinted at necrophilia (in 2003 and 2002). Considering this is a New Era, I think the most effective way to emphasize that is use a theme people may consider taboo.

I don't think that IS what they're doing (I'm still too big a fan of a Gambling themed event this year), but there's no such thing as bad publicity; especially for a horror event.

And yes, Fate has been considered as something they could pull out of the archives.

They've done snuff films and hinted at necrophilia (in 2003 and 2002). Considering this is a New Era, I think the most effective way to emphasize that is use a theme people may consider taboo.

I don't think that IS what they're doing (I'm still too big a fan of a Gambling themed event this year), but there's no such thing as bad publicity; especially for a horror event.

And yes, Fate has been considered as something they could pull out of the archives.

I must ask then what or really whom is fate?

Multiple people have asked him what he's doing in France and he doesn't answer on his statuses and pictures. Also, someone asked him if it was worked related and he said yes.

I wouldn't read that much into his not answering... he is in France, afterall. He might just be busy/not be able to immediately respond. Also - are these strangers asking questions on his facebook? Probably less likely to post replies to random people asking him about his personal business.

While I still think a sequel to Catacombs might happen this year, I think it would be a bit late in the game for him to be in France researching for a house. Construction is already happening - why would he do research in France now?

He simply said he was on business. I think it is a little late for this year. But who's to say it isn't material for years to come? Who knows? It is a cool idea none the less.

Edited by JWFearman

Not to mention they ruffled a few pagan feathers when Samhain was thrust back into the spotlight as the Celtic God of the Dead in '08's The Hallow (yet another error associated with Halloween).

I must ask then what or really whom is fate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate_deity (Not what the HHN version was, but it would give you an idea of some personifications of Fate.

It was a concept A&D showed a glimpse of last year during the Lounge of a concept they didn't use. As nifty as the character would be to use, I doubt they would show her and then turn around and use her without some hint that she was being considered for this year. Especially with how tight the wraps are this year, I can't imagine they would already use a concept they just showed us (including a variation on the Cindy/Totems video). I'm certain it will be something we haven't seen. The next couple of years might have us revisiting those concepts, but not this year.

While I still think a sequel to Catacombs might happen this year, I think it would be a bit late in the game for him to be in France researching for a house. Construction is already happening - why would he do research in France now?

I'm fairly certain props and costumes are in development now, and remain that way up until September. It's also possible that, like Catacombs last year, they are attempting to recreate actual images from the real thing. They wouldn't have approval to spend the money on a trip to France without having approval from Management for another French house, which they only would have gotten this year. The lay-out and general theme of each room is set in stone (we imagine), but A&D could still be playing with specific design elements of each room which would allow them apply the photos Mike is taking immediately. That's also assuming it is in a Sprung again or the Parade (where we know they're already building). The Soundstages, Jaws and Disaster are all fair game to be adjusted with the research being done now.

Well it does seems like and expensive trip for universal to shell out just to do research that could easily be done via pictures.

I loved the style of the crypts last year in catacombs... Reminded me of the Sedlec Ossuary which I'm actually very surprised they have not at least somewhat emulated.

(I guess they kind of did with Catacombs on a smaller scale). It would be an incredible place for the Plague Doctors to be as its boney visage is a direct result of the black Plague.

Edited by JWFearman

Well it does seems like and expensive trip for universal to shell out just to do research that could easily be done via pictures.

I loved the style of the crypts last year in catacombs... Reminded me of the Sedlec Ossuary which I'm actually very surprised they have not at least somewhat emulated.

(I guess they kind of did with Catacombs on a smaller scale). It would be an incredible place for the Plague Doctors to be as its boney visage is a direct result of the black Plague.

They send the designers because they are the ones who will know exactly what they want and how to implement it. It allows them to take in the whole experience of being there and apply that. It also allows them to do see things that may not be found in pictures (like a specific statue or alcove) because they are not deemed "important" by many but may be completely justifiable, appropriate or perfect for a room or image the designers see. Pictures never do something justice, and the eye of a designer looking for something to apply to their work can be drawn to something thousands walk by daily but no one ever sees. They could be examining layouts, surrounding buildings, signs, to even the design of the trashcans. Only the people who are overseeing the creation of a house can know exactly what would apply to them: not Google Images.

That's not even taking things such as scale, atmosphere and measurements of dimension into account.

They send the designers because they are the ones who will know exactly what they want and how to implement it. It allows them to take in the whole experience of being there and apply that. It also allows them to do see things that may not be found in pictures (like a specific statue or alcove) because they are not deemed "important" by many but may be completely justifiable, appropriate or perfect for a room or image the designers see. Pictures never do something justice, and the eye of a designer looking for something to apply to their work can be drawn to something thousands walk by daily but no one ever sees. They could be examining layouts, surrounding buildings, signs, to even the design of the trashcans. Only the people who are overseeing the creation of a house can know exactly what would apply to them: not Google Images.

That's not even taking things such as scale, atmosphere and measurements of dimension into account.

Obviously plans and ideas can still be changed/modified as the event draws near, I just think he would have been sent to France far earlier in the year if it was indeed for this HHN. I think it's more likely that he's there on business, but touring the sites as a tourist and posting pictures on facebook to share with his wife and family. Given the fact that he keeps deleting his facebook pages after too many fans add him, I doubt he would make pictures relating to HHN public.

I will reiterate though, I still think a Catacombs house might happen. Just think people might be reading too much into the personal pictures he's posting on his personal facebook page.

This may be a little out of left field and this is what I've stickily form ease dropping but does the name Fate ring any bells? I think I've heard this name before..but yeah again i heard it in ease dropping and can't confirm anything.

In 2005 the Universal Arts & Design team came up with two different scenarios for HHN that year. These were presented to Corporate to make a choice between them. One version of the event would only have been held at Islands of Adventure while the second would only be held at Universal Studios Florida. Corporate selected the scenario for IOA, which was then further modified until it became the event of HHN XV: Tales of Terror.

If HHN had been held at USF instead, the Icon would have been a personification of Fate. This was represented as a sinister woman who had no eyes, with bloody tears running down her face. It is possible that some day, maybe, the concept will be resurrected for a future HHN. But I expect that if this does happen she may be modified and altered considerably from her original appearance. Otherwise they likely would not have told us so much about her at the VIP Lounge sessions last year. If we do have a gambling/games of chance theme this year as has been speculated she may even be this year's Icon. But I would imagine her persona transformed into some sort of twisted "Lady Luck" type of thing.

Last year they had Protestants burning at the stake in The Coven. There was also a plague victim in the Catacombs who seemed to be wearing priestly robes. In 1998 there was a sinister minister who performed a marriage ceremony for Chucky and Tiffany in a stage show. That same year there was a scene from the Exorcist in the house Museum of Horror, including a priest exorcising Regan McNeil.

Therefore Religion has not been taboo at HHN in the past, and could still quite possibly be some religious imagery at future events.

But I would imagine her persona transformed into some sort of twisted "Lady Luck" type of thing.

Last year they had Protestants burning at the stake in The Coven. There was also a plague victim in the Catacombs who seemed to be wearing priestly robes. In 1998 there was a sinister minister who performed a marriage ceremony for Chucky and Tiffany in a stage show. That same year there was a scene from the Exorcist in the house Museum of Horror, including a priest exorcising Regan McNeil.

Therefore Religion has not been taboo at HHN in the past, and could still quite possibly be some religious imagery at future events.

Somehow, "Lady Luck" as a possible icon completely slipped my mind.

The "Priest" in Catacombs was specifically known as "Skeletal Clergy." I think the idea of Religion being "taboo" deals more with a variation of religion as a theme. The people who complain about HHN being demonic aren't going to attend and so wouldn't see the Puritans burning or the Catacombs clergy. A commercial that says something like, "Hear the Gospel of Fear this year at Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights," is going to get a completely different reaction.