HHN XXI Wishful Thinking

I remeber I used to think that it would be cool if they ever made the evil queen (from Scary Tales '08) an icon for HHN. Like I think she has alot of potential to be an icon. I could see it work....

:wub: I would love for that to happen. I wonder what there could be?

-Asylum in Wonderland

-Scribes

-Scary Tales: The Lost Chapter

-Fractured Tales

-Wicked of Oz/ Path of the Wicked

LIke I said, I would love to see the Evil Queen as an icon, along with scary tales-ish houses and scarezones, but it just seems to be too similar to Reflections of Fear. :(

Edited by The Director of Horror

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a Pirate Theme is done it will be a new character new story BUT Universal I don't see them doing one. I would more see HOS doing one as Pirates are a big theme in the Tampa area. The thing I would love the most is capping some of the over run crowds. They close the park at Christmas time to make a better experience when they reach a certain number, I will bet that number is surpassed numerous night of HHN. I am betting on a Restaurant themed haunt in the near future and an Upcharge house coming very soon. Had a talk with one of the guides on my unmasking the horror tour who kind of leaned with there answer that way.

One unused idea for 2006 was to have Jack's entire family of evil clowns all named Jack, and I believe one of these was to have been a Pirate Clown called One Eyed Jack.

A pirate also appeared in Orfanage last year.

So, pirates have been used or planned for HHN in the past, and it is possible we may see some more in the future.

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

One unused idea for 2006 was to have Jack's entire family of evil clowns all named Jack, and I believe one of these was to have been a Pirate Clown called One Eyed Jack.

A pirate also appeared in Orfanage last year.

So, pirates have been used or planned for HHN in the past, and it is possible we may see some more in the future.

Damn Orfan Pirate --I curse you

He got me every frickin time

Here's a really sick idea:

Let's say that a crew of pirates was cursed with Living Death by a Voodoo Priest and then a terrible Hurricane blew them WAY off course until they were shipwrecked in Feudal Japan. There they soon find themselves at odds with a shadowy cult of undead warriors...

ZOMBIE PIRATES VS. NINJA VAMPIRES!!!

Just so you now, I was joking about the whole Jack the Pirate thing. lol. I'm sure they could come up with another good name for a pirate.

I know you were. It was funny and I immediately got an image of a pirate in clown makeup kind of like The Director Of Horror came up with. You guys crack me up sometimes. We must all think alike at times.

Pirates have been around far longer than the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. With your thinking, there are plenty of house ideas they shouldn't have done because movies with a remotely similar theme came out as a motion picture that year.

Have pirates really been around longer than the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise? I didn't know that. Damn and to think all this time I thought Disney created the idea of pirates. J/K but seriously I don't think you understood why I was thinking it wouldn't be a good year this year to have a pirate icon. Disney is a cross town rival. Pirates 4 is a very high profile movie. I just personally think it's too close for comfort. Once again I will say that I love the idea of a pirate themed icon or event I just don't think this year is the year. Just my opinion. By the way thanks for helping me with the picture in the accolade request thread the other night I figured it out thanks to you but after I linked the pics of course.

I like the idea of a ghost ship with drowned saliors/pirates...

But I just don't know if it would hold up an entire event.

Pirates (and dead pirates for that matter) have been used so much and Disney really has cornered that market a bit.

But even so, how would that translate over the entire event? How many pirate/ghost/ocean based houses and scarezones could you really do and whould they be scary?

We've had haunted ships and they do work on their own. So A pirate/ghost ship house could easily work.

Then again the caretaker did not even remotely have anything to do Islands of Fear except his house. So from that standpoint a Pirate doesn't have to tie together an event. But I think a stand alone pirate would be kind of cliche.

Edited by JWFearman

A few pages back there was talk of a voodoo themed maze in Jurassic Park. I believe the haunt in question was "Jungle of Doom" in 2003.

There is an entire event dedicated to pirates in California. I think it is called "Pirates of Emerson", or that was it's old name, at least. It's apparently a huge fan favorite in the area. Knott's pirate houses are no longer, but they were incorporated into the log flume ride and were very popular for many years. I think the proximity to Disney has Universal shaking in their low heeled, non-piratey boots. I think they should do a pirate house...pirates were mass murderers, serial killers, serial torturers and rapitsts; why wouldn't they fit into a Halloween event? There were pirates in the Mediterranean that would have sent Blackbeard crying for mama; in fact, they were so nasty they were directly responsible for the formation of the United States Navy in the early 19th Century.

There could be some scary pirate goings-ons, for sure....I wouldn't complain.

Arrr....

Mae

Edited by Mae

Besides having dead pirates, and skulls everywhere? what can a pirate house give us?

I am liking the idea for a pirate house but I would Hate if they do what they did in PS last year, just a bunch of pirate "ghosts" with costumes and face make up, I dont know,

like I said before, they should look like skulls, have masks, but maybe we could get a giant squid? or octopus? maybe the kraken? I would love to see that,

have a room with pirates and then tentacles coming in from the windows

Besides having dead pirates, and skulls everywhere? what can a pirate house give us?

I am liking the idea for a pirate house but I would Hate if they do what they did in PS last year, just a bunch of pirate "ghosts" with costumes and face make up, I dont know,

like I said before, they should look like skulls, have masks, but maybe we could get a giant squid? or octopus? maybe the kraken? I would love to see that,

have a room with pirates and then tentacles coming in from the windows

Uh, Legendary Truth anybody?

Uh, Legendary Truth anybody?

I wasn't a huge fan of Legendary truth or Psychoscareapy, but at least with the legendary Truth they tried something new, I really didn't get the point of Psychoscareapy at all, and, like I said some people said that LT the costumes were bad or that the masks looked silly, but I like them, at least they gave them masks, I know make up can look really cool but I wish they left the make up for the scarezones and gave the houses masks or something,

I wasn't a huge fan of Legendary truth or Psychoscareapy, but at least with the legendary Truth they tried something new, I really didn't get the point of Psychoscareapy at all, and, like I said some people said that LT the costumes were bad or that the masks looked silly, but I like them, at least they gave them masks, I know make up can look really cool but I wish they left the make up for the scarezones and gave the houses masks or something,

Being a haunt designer/ect., I would understand why they would use makeup when possible. Masks (well the good Uni A&D ones) can be very expensive, so putting a house full of 20 masks (x2) would be pretty expensive.

Being a haunt designer/ect., I would understand why they would use makeup when possible. Masks (well the good Uni A&D ones) can be very expensive, so putting a house full of 20 masks (x2) would be pretty expensive.

yeah I totally understand thatyeah I get you, I just wish they did good make up at least, i mean Esqueleto muerte the actors had make up, (except the ones that had the mask) but the ones with make up were really awesome, as well as the Coven, and, although Havoc was amazing, the costumes were lacking, Thank god the actors were so amazing, PS was also lacking a little, I don't mind make up when it looks really good, but sometimes they lack, that's why a mask would be better, like Orfanage, the masks totally changes the house from so-so to great

As long as I see plenty of original materials without a film in sight, I'll be a happy camper.

Using movies is too constricting. As cool as it is to walk around a recreation of a movie set, it forces the design team to build around something that already exists without having as much room for their own material; if you've got something out of place or incorrect, all the huge fans will start complaining about how bad your recreation was. With original properties, you can make the sets, costumes, and effects however you want with what you think works.

Slipknot would be interesting. Maybe Dimmu Borgir would be a better fit for this sort of thing....but going to UO to see the Dimmu Borgir house or Slipknot house just doesn't sound...Universal. I'm seeing it like this:

"This year only at Halloween Horror Nights XXI, see Death reign over Universal Studios with SlipKnoT: The Ghost of Paul Grey's Revenge!"

It just doesn't sound very....um....HHN-ish to me. Maaaaaaybe Hollywood but more HOS-ish to me.

DETHKLOK!!! XD from Metaloclypse. Or how about GWAR!!! XD

It could be that one of the could make their appearance.

Edited by diefordethklok

As long as I see plenty of original materials without a film in sight, I'll be a happy camper.

Using movies is too constricting. As cool as it is to walk around a recreation of a movie set, it forces the design team to build around something that already exists without having as much room for their own material; if you've got something out of place or incorrect, all the huge fans will start complaining about how bad your recreation was. With original properties, you can make the sets, costumes, and effects however you want with what you think works.

mmm :mellow: true true, It is true you cant make everyone happy,

I wish that it would be more along the lines of halloween, the pumpkins in the tree was cool, but thats atmosphere(a good one ).

And ease up on all the zombies, I am starting to think they live among us. Really , You could dress up like a zombie walk into a store , get a slurpie , pay for it and

nobody notices.

no movie houses, just some good ole fashion blood & gore, witches(the very evil kind, not the pointed nose and hat type), vampires(not pretty ones ,real ones, the kind you will run from)

and for good measure your local pyscho living in that old run down house, woman, man , mix? just make them crazy. Also werewolfs, demons ,ghosts, ghouls,evil beings etc.

for universal:

Make it as scary as you advertise it to be( not just the prices).

Something I'd like to see is a house where the scares are lower in number, but each individual scare is more intense and comes after a foreboding period where you never know what's going to happen. I posted my idea on HHNRumors already, so I'll only re-post if someone specifically asks to see my house plan, but the basic premise is prisoners from a supermax prison break out and start a citywide riot. The house takes place in an office building that's been broken in to and the occupants slaughtered. You would spend four or five BIG rooms and hallways with no scareactors. You'd have corpses, blood, signs of destruction, and distant noises. No music, just distant screams, gunshots, and shattering glass. Every so often you would hear someone walking in a nearby room or a loud thud, but nothing visible. Then you enter the bathroom, the lights flicker, and everything goes to hell.

HHN has gotten to the point where, given enough time, scares can be predictable. You can spot the booholes or point out good places for a scareactor to hide, like the mysterious hatch-shaped outline in the wall or the shadowed alcove that you can't see into. Scareactors have to rely on the people being too distracted to notice and expect the scares; for someone like myself, who is super-attentive in houses and often spends the first run memorizing the house layout, it can be hard to get something out of me.

A house like my own design where everything seems like a potential scare serves to unease you. You walk through every room, expecting something to appear from every corner and doorway. But nothing comes for the LONGEST time. You might start to brush off the house as an empty, atmospheric environment walkthrough. Or you might get more and more uneasy with the expectation of something around every corner and in every closet. Sometimes the best way to build tension and fear in a horror movie is absolutely nothing: prepare the audience for a jump that never comes. Sometimes throw the scare in right when they've figured that it's an empty buildup. There's the long buildup to the scene behind the diner in Mulholland Drive, where you might easily forget that there's something terrifying behind that wall. Or the scene in Alien when Brett is looking for Jonas the cat; reportedly half the audience during one of the first screenings was too scared to stay in the theater when the Xenomorph kept never appearing. Only to realize that it was hiding in plain sight, disguised with its biomechanical appearence.

This house works off of that classic filmmaking trick. When everything is a potential scare, you see scares in everything that moves. A broken fluorescent light gently swinging from the ceiling becomes a corpse hanging in the shadows. Muffled scratching behind a door is a sign of someone bursting out with a baseball bat. And when the scare hits, it hits when you've already seen an empty house. And it hits as hard and fast as possible.

Another way to build fear is to base the locations in recognizable places. None of the houses in 2010 looked like regular buildings; Legendary Truth was the closest to a "real" location and there was still always something that felt off about it, something to remind you that you were in a set. But present the house with an extremely realistic office building, where every surface looks and feels like your own workplace. Could something happen like this at the office YOU work in? Somewhere right here in Orlando? Probably. You might very well be seeing it.