HHN Hollywood X Wishful Thinking

sorry DTH i've been just kinda busy lately lol just moved and all :P probably the same with anu, were friends on facebook and she's been posting so she's still alive haha :P

but anyways, i completely agree! Q and A would be awesome! and Orandos RIP experience does look way cool! haha, cant wait for my second year of HHN!

Too bad there's no good horror movies coming out this year to speculate about. Or even ones that came out last year. Jesus, this is a really hard time for horror.

P.S. Holy crap, just saw that I'm in the top 13 on the site. WOOHOO!!

Edited by DTH316

Justin Bieber for 2011 Icon

Justin Bieber Terror Tram

Justin Bieber, Screaming Fans Scare Zone

Justin Bieber, Purple Nurple maze

No. Justin bieber: Purple Nurple maze: In Nurple-Vision 3D. :)

In Scream 4 news, I heard they started a test-screening yesterday on Bloody Disgusting. http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/22939 There better not be any losers giving away the whole movie.

Wow! I haven't logged in in a month and the HHN board has been jumping! Lots of topics to comment on.

I finally saw Trick R Treat. Nice movie, but I don't see the potential for a house. I read someone's idea for their flow through the house, and while it sounds neat, your typical customer would have no idea what the hell is going on, or why they are seeing the same characters again and again. To me, Trick R Treat is all about Halloween traditions, and Orlando already did that (very succesfully) a couple of years ago with The Hallows. They took what sounded to be a pretty generic idea (an exploration of various Hallowen traditions) and turned it into a very nice house - one of the sleepers of that year.

Sam from Trick R Treat would have great icon potential IF the movie had been seen by more people. But the idea of having Sam popping out of boo-holes in a house....wouldn't most people (who didn't see the movie) simply look at him and think "it's Chuckie wearing a burlap sack"?

Justin Bieber as an icon? I don't know..... if he grows that hair any longer, people will mistake him for Sam.

Concerning the desire for a "Zombie Apocalypse" theme with a military flair (a'la The Crazies), I have to completely agree - Orlando did a kick-ass job last year with Zombiegeddon. If it came to Hollywood, I DON'T think people would see it as a Virus-Z rip-off.

Potter in Hollywood? Seeing how Orlando has been raking in more $$$ just selling Butterbeer than Hollywood does in an entire Halloween season, I don't see how they CAN'T keep it from coming to Hollywood. Yeah, we may lose a big piece of HHN-H real estate to the land, but that in turn would mean a LOT more money to spend on Halloween. ...or it could mean putting HHN-H on ice for five years again. I see it going either way. Personally, as long as there are planes that can fly me to Orlando, I wouldn't mind seeing HHN-H go away for a while and then reboot under a different director (I'm president of the Anti-Murdy League).

Speaking of Murdy, mention was made that he called 2010 "the most successful yet", and there was speculation that the statement implied a tacit acceptance of repeat houses. First of all, one has to ask what the definition of "successful" is. It could either refer to revenue or attendance. My guess is that it is the latter. There is no doubt that 2010 saw record attendance - they sold out more nights than ever before. The thing is that this was the first year they offered a "season pass" for the month, and like Disneyland, the majority of customers are locals, so they sold an enormous number of these passes. If you look at the dols-out nights, most happened on the days these passes allowed entry. Orlando, on the other hand is tourist-driven, so on "Frequent Fear" nights, they never ever sell out. As the bean counters well know, Season Pass holders spend very little money on food concessions and practically no money on souvenirs. They pretty much just take up space and provide a steady stream of parking revenue.

Mostly led by Disney, California is the land of low-cost Season Passes. Look at Six Flags, Knott's or USH - it's standard to see SPs offered for $10-$20 over the cost of a full day ticket. In Orlando, a SP tyically costs 4x the price of a full day admission. With close to a million SP holders at Disneyland, sometimes making a tiny bit of money from everyone is equivalent to making a whole lot from a few people. It's amazing how different theme park economics are between the coasts.

That HHN-H had many of sold out nights doesn't make it "successful". Money=Success for these parks. The real question is whether 2010 profit was the highest ever. One thing is certain - the turnout for 2010 was NOT primarily due to the theme or the return of houses. The inclusion of an extra house most likely helped, but in my opinion the attendance boost was 90% due to the new Season Pass.

Because last year was marketed as "all new" yet was anything but, it will be interesting to see if the HHN-H brand name has been damaged by the blatant misrepresentation. That we on this board know it was a repeat year is of no interest - we were going to go no matter what. But if your typical customer left the park feeling it was nothing more than a repeat of past years - THAT is damaging. They will perceive HHN-H as being stale and will go elsewhere. 2011 will no doubt bring a great deal of genuinely new content, but will customers buy the "all new" line, or will they think that Universal is crying wolf yet again?

There is one wildcard for 2011, though - Transformers. Near-sighted management will see this attraction as being such a big draw, that they don't have to put a major effort into HHN 2011. Let's hope management is smarter than that.

RIP Experience - I think you mean a UTH experience (Unmasking the Horror). Yes, HHN Hollywood is long overdue for a lights-on tour of houses. You know that Orlando is charging over $50 for those these days? It's a very steep price but Orlando's UTH have always been great.

Edited by zombieman

Wow! Just saw a GREAT movie on Netflix, that I believe would make a great THEME for a house. The synopsis immediately reminded me of Zombiegeddon, although the Zombiegeddon is set in the present, while this movie is set in the past.

The movie is called Fido, and it was made in 2006 on an $8M budget. The film tanked in the US and Canada (where it was made), but I have no idea why. For Trick R Treat lovers, it has the actor who played Principal Wilkins, but here is in a major role. Acting is great, and set design is incredible (for an $8M budget). It has a Tim Burton feel to it as well (it reminds me alot of the neighborhood in Edward Scissorhands). Watch it without looking at the opening credits - then after it ends, look up who played the lead. You'll never believe it.

The movie is a full on comedy - kind of a cross between Shaun of the Dead, Lassie, and the great video game Stubbs the Zombie. The gore factor is MUCH lower than Shaun - about the same level as Trick R Treat. Don't let the Lassie mention turn you away - it's a very loose connection, but applicable because of the veiled references and time period (the 50's).

I won't spoil the plot, but watch the first 10 minutes and you will definitely be drawn in. I flipped past this movie several times because the box pics looked like some low budget B-movie and the synopsis on Netflix was lame. But on Amazon, it has 4.5 stars based on 115 reviews. Bloody Disgusting loved it, and I did too.

Again, I think the theme of the movie would fit in great to an HHN house, but it would be pointless to recreate any one scene. Watch the movie and you'll see what I mean. If you happened to get to HHN Orlando last year, tell me that Zombiegeddon wasn't totally based on this movie's concept.

It's a really fun film to watch. Enjoy it!

Edited by zombieman

There is one wildcard for 2011, though - Transformers. Near-sighted management will see this attraction as being such a big draw, that they don't have to put a major effort into HHN 2011. Let's hope management is smarter than that.

You do realize that Transformers isn't due to open until 2012, right?

And you DO realize that HHN-H has had season passes for all years it's been back so far, right? In fact, the other years had MORE nights. That didn't equal nearly the same amount of attendance. That fact alone kinda made half of your post moot :-/ sorry haha

And another thing, they didn't even advertise they added an extra maze, so I don't know how that would boost attendance. Let alone, they BARELY advertised HOTC in 3D.

Fact of the matter is, is the event was selling out nights because it's growing a fan base, Freddy, Jason and Saw returned. FFP helped, I'm sure.

Once again, most of your post was moot, Zombieman :-/

So i have a question? Why dont hhnh do a non movie theme like hhno 2005, fans want a story behind the event and something unexpected, i mean you can just watch the movies that become houses and know what to expect, they need to think outside the box and def. Try a diffrent kind of event like hhno 2005. Anyone agree, i would like to see this happen

So i have a question? Why dont hhnh do a non movie theme like hhno 2005, fans want a story behind the event and something unexpected, i mean you can just watch the movies that become houses and know what to expect, they need to think outside the box and def. Try a diffrent kind of event like hhno 2005. Anyone agree, i would like to see this happen

I agree. Unfortunately, the event is entirely movie-based. I really hope that this year they at least do one original maze because the event so far is getting very predictable to speculate on hence why the threads on here are just dead. I mean, I always wanted a TrT, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Exorcist, Jeepers Creepers and Scream maze, but come on! I want to see something that hasn't been done before! After all of those films have been done, I'd like for the event to dwell more on originality. Once they go through all of the films, they'll probably just go through the remakes of the other films or just repeat them. <_<

In all honesty guys, I don't know why, but I'm just not even nearly excited for this year as I was last year. I remember exactly one year ago, I could not for the life of me wait until October or June to come to hear HHN announcements. After eleven months of intense speculating and anticipation, All of the news of the PRs being pushed back and getting all of those repeats from last year's event just really lowered my morale for HHN. After going to Orlando's event, I'm gradually starting to lean towards Zombieman's side. I mean, Murdy's a great creative director and a cool guy, but I'd like to see a bit more original content. This year I'm seeing four movie-based and two originals, but I would prefer three movie-based and two originals.

It's just sad to see that last year speculation was BOOMING...wait a minute, we were banned from speculating. Never mind then. At least we tried to speculate. It's just sad to see it dead.

As for wishful thinking, I think it would be coo, to see a black plague maze or something like Queen Mary did last year.

And you DO realize that HHN-H has had season passes for all years it's been back so far, right? In fact, the other years had MORE nights. That didn't equal nearly the same amount of attendance. That fact alone kinda made half of your post moot :-/ sorry haha

And another thing, they didn't even advertise they added an extra maze, so I don't know how that would boost attendance. Let alone, they BARELY advertised HOTC in 3D.

Fact of the matter is, is the event was selling out nights because it's growing a fan base, Freddy, Jason and Saw returned. FFP helped, I'm sure.

Once again, most of your post was moot, Zombieman :-/

Maybe I'm getting brain rot, or maybe it's the couple of dozen events I go to every year, but no, I don't recall HHN having a "Killer Deal" type pass in prior years. All I have to do is fetch a park map from years past, but I'm too lazy. Seriously, I'm not remembering a FFP for anywhere but Orlando...

And as for Transformers not opening till '12, I truly had no idea it was taking that long. I'm kinda surprised by that.

because our creative director already stated like a few years ago that HHNH will always be Movie based and at the most only 1 or 2 original mazes but it seems like he wants to keep up the Trio aspect with at least 3 movie Icons each year for the sake of advertizing

In all honesty guys, I don't know why, but I'm just not even nearly excited for this year as I was last year. I remember exactly one year ago, I could not for the life of me wait until October or June to come to hear HHN announcements. After eleven months of intense speculating and anticipation, All of the news of the PRs being pushed back and getting all of those repeats from last year's event just really lowered my morale for HHN. After going to Orlando's event, I'm gradually starting to lean towards Zombieman's side. I mean, Murdy's a great creative director and a cool guy, but I'd like to see a bit more original content. This year I'm seeing four movie-based and two originals, but I would prefer three movie-based and two originals.

It's just sad to see that last year speculation was BOOMING...wait a minute, we were banned from speculating. Never mind then. At least we tried to speculate. It's just sad to see it dead.

As for wishful thinking, I think it would be coo, to see a black plague maze or something like Queen Mary did last year.

well how can you be excited when we know pretty much NOTHING at this point?

Maybe I'm getting brain rot, or maybe it's the couple of dozen events I go to every year, but no, I don't recall HHN having a "Killer Deal" type pass in prior years. All I have to do is fetch a park map from years past, but I'm too lazy. Seriously, I'm not remembering a FFP for anywhere but Orlando...

yes we had a FFP at least since 2007 I had one in 08 the only thing is they changed the name this past event.

I have faith in HHNH. I faltered a bit last year but I now know that, that was wrong.

And it hasn't become predictable. Who the hell would've thought we would've seen HOTC last year, let alone in 3D? Saw returning was a no brainer but NOES and F13 returning, as lame as that seemed at first, both surprisingly returned and were both surprisingly better than they were the years prior. And Vampyre was VERY strong. And Chucky's Revenge, as awesome as it sounded but didn't pan out as amazingly we hoped, was still a fun treat for fans. I mean, sure I predicted a lot of that would happen but that's just cuz I'm a weird freak when it comes to seeing things from a business point but still, the event was it's best year, it had the best mazes on average, and the attendance showed for it.

This year, even if there's a repeat or two, I still know the other things are going to kick ass. Repeats suck for you guys but I see them as opportunity to revisit what I loved and for my friends who didn't get to go get to see half of what they missed out on and they become hardcore fans like me who vow never to miss out again. Besides, if it was all new every single year, I wouldn't remember every single maze anyway and they would just become jumbled in my mind. This at least separates some things for me so I can remember the experience all the better.

And I'll always back up movie based mazes. Original mazes don't get me excited, walking through my favorite movies do. It's as simple as that, for me, anyway.

well how can you be excited when we know pretty much NOTHING at this point?

What I'm saying is that my morale has gone down quite a bit since last year with them announcing all of the repeats. Last year, I was just expecting too much thinking it would be all-new from here on out only to be gravely disappointed.

Well it is kinda your fault, you do twist a lot of what Murdy says lmao

Him saying all new for one year, you thought it meant every year for forever

Call me crazy, but 08 and 10 were the best years so far... and they were both the "repeat" years.

Well it is kinda your fault, you do twist a lot of what Murdy says lmao

Him saying all new for one year, you thought it meant every year for forever

Call me crazy, but 08 and 10 were the best years so far... and they were both the "repeat" years.

crazy on this year!!! I honestly think 08 and 09 were the best This year was fun but was full of let downs let (Not the repeats but how much of a let down alot of things were like La Llerona and Terror Tram) and the high points for me were The non repeats (HOTC and Vampyre)

I think that's all in your head. I understand thinking HOTC was the best, but saying Vampyre was better than F13 or NOES is just insane. You're sniffin paint if you think that's true, buddy lmao

not saying Vampyre was better than F:13 and NOES just I enjoyed them more because they were new and I realy got scared in Vampyre which I cant say for any other of the mazes all Im saying is 2010 had alot of let downs in my eyes La Llerona, SAW, Terror Tram, The Lack of shows dont get me wrong I had a BLAST!!! despite the returns (Which I dont care Im way against this early on in our run), the let downs and going threw a break up the day before this was The highlight of my year I just dont think it would beat out last year's Which I'd liked way better