HHN XX VIP Lounge

Oysterhead00

Oh, I completely agree that Fear was under-utilized, both in the marketing of the event, as well in-park. Your thoughts on the billboards featuring "Fear's mouth" are apt, but they're probably also a result of some of the fallout from the Bloody Mary billboards. Universal may be hesitant to feature graphically-frightening characters so front and center on a billboard, or other advertising. I think the actual marketing of the event should have featured the character far more prominently, and probably would have been considered more succesful had they done so. Then again, hindsight is 20-20.

Now Sindy's appeal, on the other hand, is limited at first glance (again, in my opinion). Yes, children can be creepy in the right context, but it's that context that makes them creepy. If you were to see a standard photo of Cindy, you might think, "That kid looks really intense, which is kinda creepy." You probably won't jump straight to, "Wow, that kid looks really intense, so she probably has telekinetic powers and could light me on fire with her mind if she so chose." If you've ever seen the classic Twilight Zone episode, "It's A Good Life," or seen the 1980's Twilight Zone: The Movie, you've seen similar stories: innocuous-looking children (innocuous, in Sindy's case, as there are no outwardly identifying features that would indicate her powers) who are eventually revealed to hold incredible (and potentially malevolent) power. Those stories work because of the juxtaposition of the "innocent child" with "evil and powerful." And again, I say that those stories DO work, but they work because the revelation as to the true nature of the character usually comes later in the story. Hence, my analogy of Sindy to the "slow-burn" movie.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

King Panther, I think your statement that "the idea is not to appeal to lesser fans, it's to make those lesser fans bigger fans," is a wonderful thought (and I'm sure it's the final goal of the A&D team). I know that 2005's extra consideration to the fans (the ARG, specifically) is what really caught my attention and made me the fan I currently am.

However, I think 2005 is also a good example of a few of my points about Fear. Yes, there were a LOT of extra storylines running through the 2005 event, but most of them were lost on the average consumer. I attended the event that year, and even I was unaware of just how intricate and inter-connected the various houses-and-scarezone stories were.

Just as you said, 2005 featured "an almost tacked on" Icon in The Storyteller. If I remember correctly, there were a lot of negative opinions on her at the time, just as there currently are for Fear. Their purposes were identical, though: represent the event in bold, easy-to-understand terms that appeal to the mass market. If memory serves (and for any of you reading this, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), The Storyteller was created by the marketing side, completely independent of the A&D team. The event needs to appeal to as many people as possible, thus cool-looking Icons who are a little more "shallow" in their characterization will typically win out over creepy (not terrifying) looking but interesting-in-the-long-run characters.

Edited by BigChippah

King Panther, I think your statement that "the idea is not to appeal to lesser fans, it's to make those lesser fans bigger fans," is a wonderful thought (and I'm sure it's the final goal of the A&D team). I know that 2005's extra consideration to the fans (the ARG, specifically) is what really caught my attention and made me the fan I currently am.

However, I think 2005 is also a good example of a few of my points about Fear. Yes, there were a LOT of extra storylines running through the 2005 event, but most of them were lost on the average consumer. I attended the event that year, and even I was unaware of just how intricate and inter-connected the various houses-and-scarezone stories were.

Just as you said, 2005 featured "an almost tacked on" Icon in The Storyteller. If I remember correctly, there were a lot of negative opinions on her at the time, just as there currently are for Fear. Their purposes were identical, though: represent the event in bold, easy-to-understand terms that appeal to the mass market. If memory serves (and for any of you reading this, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), The Storyteller was created by the marketing side, completely independent of the A&D team. The event needs to appeal to as many people as possible, thus cool-looking Icons who are a little more "shallow" in their characterization will typically win out over creepy-looking but interesting-in-the-long-run characters.

The thing about The Storyteller is that she actually did have a presence at the event - not the presence of the Terra Queen, but a presence nonetheless - she was plastered everywhere on the park maps, advertisements, merchandise, etc. She showed up in Where Evil Hides, and her backstory (while flimsy) still made sense. People recognized The Storyteller at the event because they knew what she look like and had a general idea what she was about - she told stories and killed people. What do we know about FEAR? He has... terrible dental care, and might possess a lantern (or is trapped within one)? The public didn't get it, my friends didn't get it, I didn't get it. They saw a tall creepy guy - oo, photo opportunity! But HHN is about more than that. Jack's a photo opportunity and the public goes gaga for him, but he also has some semblance of a backstory and thus a justification of why he's there. I would ask people who'd gone if they saw FEAR, and the response was mostly "that big guy on stilts? yeah... he was... alright". Hardly the response a fear-god shoudl garner. FEAR would've been fine as an event theme (even if prefer the Cindy idea) had they actually fleshed out his character, shown him in advertisements so the public had an idea of who he was, and had him show up more during the event - he's a super icon and he had the smallest presence of ALL of the icons thus far, even debatably Eddie. That, and they should've tied the event a bit more together - utilize the Portmanteaus idea (which was pretty cool!) and have each house tie into one of the elements of fear, with an icon cameo and a FEAR cameo in each, with FEAR getting his own house in Hallow'd Past.

Panther's quote really exemplifies what I'm getting at there. Newbies to the event this year found the individual houses to be great, but overall felt the theme was lacking - I agree. You want to make the impression A&D made on me with Bloody Mary in 08 - an entire alternate world, not just 8 houses and 6 scare zones. Mind you, ALL of the houses this year were great and most of the scare zones were as well - but I've come to expect the BEST from A&D as I know they are capable of it. This was an excellent year in house & zone quality, but I feel it's most like 2004 in which case all of the houses were great but ultimately there's no true personality to remember the event by - and 2004 even had the gimmick of being at both parks. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this was their flagship 20th anniversary, and I expected all of the cylinders firing.

Maybe I'm just too cynical!

First off, I want to say that I LOVE this website, as this same conversation on the Vault would already be so flooded with flaming and arguing that the intelligent conversation we're having now would be moot.

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand, what I meant earlier was maybe having Cindy/Sindy being our terra queen this year, and Fear being our storyteller. That's what I was hoping for, but it ended up being a bit....jumbled, to say the least. If they would have focused a bit more on that original idea, maybe it would have turned out a bit better. All in all, people make mistakes, and that's how we get better. I don't think that Fear himself is a mistake, but I think that he could have been utilized in a much better capacity. Honestly, I love the event when we have an outer layer for the GP, with an under layer for the fans, and those few intelligent members of the GP who end up becoming us. Last year, we had The Usher for most of us, and the movie icons advertised to the general public. And I'm sure that a few began to look into The Usher, and learned his story, and then learned about the other intricate stories of HHN, and so on, and eventually became a great fan. That's my idea of the perfect year. Though they've pulled it off before, like Bloody Mary (urban legend for GP, Dr. Agana for us), I think that they're trying to find a balance, sort of like how '07 we saw Carnival of Carnage, where the icon was the same on both sides of the fence, although of course there was a much deeper story for us fans to look into. I think that they tried pulling that off this year, but the story just didn't flesh out too well, especially since they were introducing a completely new character, as opposed to a formerly established character.

Hopefully next year, maybe we'll get a story for Fear, and someone to show themselves off to the GP, or rather have Fear again and maybe a story for him this time...and maybe even have a challenger appear. Who knows? But I know that the creative team does read fan forums, their surveys, and they just generally listen to the fans...after all, they're fans too. So maybe we'll get a better story in the coming years...maybe this one is just ground work. I dunno. We have a good 7-8 months till the first rumors start coming out for HHN 21: Legal Drinking Age. This time, the park itself is the angry drunk ;).

@BigChippah - Regarding Cindy being a "slow-burn" - I understand what you're getting at, and I think that could be avoided depending on how they presented her. Essentially, they couldn't just show a little girl, even if she was in black and white - she'd have to have the black eyes in the animatic (maybe with black smoke billowing out of them), maybe give a fire element to her, something to set her off from an ordinary, creepy kid. I mean when you really get down to it, The Director looks like a guy with a camera and The Caretaker's an old guy with a top hat. It's the little touches (the blood on the face and the evil glint in the eyes of The Director, the rot of the teeth/the dead eyes/the bloody utensils of The Caretaker) that make "ordinary" icons scary. The commercial would play a big part in this - if you have a guy walking through the woods and he comes across this burning tree with two big XXs, and turns around and sees a little girl with black smoke billowing out of her eyes, who promptly attacks him, setting him on fire... I mean DAMN, you're going to REMEMBER that! It's all in the execution. FEAR had the potential to be terrifying, it didn't work out. As for the billboards, didn't we establish some time ago (correct me if I'm wrong) that the billboard protest was a press-harboring hoax? They had no problem displaying Wolfman/Jigsaw/Chucky last year, so I don't think they'd have any problems showing a creepy little girl...

Now, on to Panther's point - I agree to what you're saying to the nth degree, except on one point - and that's that the stories the public understands and that we understand should belong to the SAME character. If you have Wolfman/Chucky/Jigsaw in the forefront and The Usher hiding in the background, you have an event with an identity crisis. The 2009 situation really irked me (and I could tell it wasn't A&D's decision to exclude The Usher, so no blame there) - there was absolutely no reason it couldn't have been The Usher PRESENTS Wolfman/Chucky/Jigsaw, much like Jack PRESENTS Freddy/Jason/Leatherface. The character presented to the public needs to be the same character intertwined throughout the whole event - they did it with Jack, The Caretaker, The Director, and Bloody Mary. All of these characters holds instant appeal to the general public given their advertising campaigns (charisma/visual appeal, dread, shock, and legend-status, respectively) that The Storyteller also had (false impression given that she's an old woman who can murder you) and The Usher and FEAR easily could have had. Bottom line is, marketing needs to get it together and really work with A&D to provide a marketing campaign that appeals to the general public but also ties into the story that A&D is trying to tell, otherwise the event's overall theme becomes muddled and (as in 09) a bit of an identity crisis.

The idea of making the general public bigger fans is, frankly, impossible though. Guesstimate - Eighty percent of the guest who attend the event go strictly to get drunk and get scared (not necessarily in that order). Two percent show up to be douche-bags. Eight-teen percent will know what the houses actually are before they walk through the gate or have an idea of what to expect in advance. Five percent are us. I had people who attend every year asking me what the houses were during the event because they never went to the website. The story is lost on a great majority of the people who attend, and A&D and Marketing knows that. The idea Cindy as harbinger of all that is unholy in the world wouldn't play on a billboard. The general public would see her and think, "Oh, little girls don't scare me, I'm not going" or, "Bloody Mary's back," because they don't remember what they ate for breakfast. We would recognize her as Cindy, but my gosh, even A&D doesn't know what to do with her character and her place in the canon. She's been "around" since 2002 and they just now made her a pyrokinetic. Personally, I still firmly believe that the Orfanage should take place after the events of Screamhouse, because making Cindy a fire-starter starts to effect THAT canon as well if it's a prequel.

I believe the general public element is what happened with Legendary Truth this year. Doing it on Facebook opened the floodgate of people who didn't want to really play the game, but rather wanted to perks of being a part of it. All those password requests is a perfect example. If they had continued it through the event, there would have been hundreds of people lining up for CFO badges, who wouldn't actually be participating in solving the mystery. It would have been a waste of Universal's time and resources, and would have ruined the experience for people who actually want to have fun.

Fear, and how they wanted to market him, worked exactly the way he was intended. He got people in the park. Hiding him they way they did gave the event an air of mystery that hasn't existed for a long time, even for us. And frankly, I prefer it. The "theme" for this year (Fear) is simple to a extreme, and that's not a bad thing. We have the story for Fear, regardless of if we like it or think it is enough. He is Sumerian god of fear, summoned forth from the lantern that entrapped him by his five fire-demons, the icons. He has constantly been, and constantly affected HHN. It's actually one of the most ambitious stories they've done, and would not have worked if they had attempted to market it that way.

This year's story wasn't perfect, but won't always be. I suspect this is the direction Universal as a whole will be going; simpler ideas for the general public and the stories being directed to us. It works and, I imagine, is more effective for the general public. They don't care about who Mary Agana is, only Bloody Mary. They don't care about Terra Cruentes, or had any idea that it was an over-arching story throughout the park. They wouldn't get the Terra Queen had that been the marketed "icon" (and I don't believe she would have worked anyway). They don't care about the Usher, or the Universal Palace, only Chucky and "the Jigsaw puppet." They don't even know the puppet's name is Billy. Universal has to market the event to people who don't care (and won't care) about the fact that Cindy is the Caretaker's daughter or that Eddie is Jack's brother, or that Legendary Truth has its own website. They aren't us. Yes, it sucks and is frustrating, and it's why I heard, "Why are they birds," and, "Why do they look like Spy vs. Spy," so much I wanted to shoot people (even on HHN fan-sites), but it's the reality. Universal has to cater to them, while placating us.

Legacy, while many of your points are quite true (if an ugly truth), I firmly believe Cindy could have been used as an effective icon. I don't know a single person who wouldn't see a black and white little girl with black eyes with smoke billowing out of them and not be creeped out. That type of freaky image (as we saw with Bloody Mary) is plenty enough to sell the event. Regarding FEAR, I still stand by that he was pretty much a failure of an icon. I'm sorry, but the little "Sumerian God of Fear" thing they threw at us does not count as a backstory - we received no indication that FEAR was a god of any kind, it still remains unclear whether FEAR was trapped, who he/it was, why he's held the ceremonies/cycles/whatever, why is the 20th cycle so important, why there are roman numerals on his chest (aging, but we know they can go more in-depth than that), why half of his body is covered in roots while the other half isn't, what relation he has to the icons, what IS the lantern, what happens now that FEAR has been "revealed" given that he hasn't killed or scared a single person? I mean, they didn't even play on the idea that he was to kill the other icons, which WAS included the little "ancient document" that was conjured up at the last minute. And now we're stuck with an omniscient character with no real purpose. As my friend observed (he attended for the first time this year), "they kind of showed all of their cards. Now that this "FEAR" guy is here, they can't really go any bigger." And he's right.

Not to mention that FEAR himself in the park failed, miserably. I know this was an operations thing and couldn't really be avoided given the type of costume they built for FEAR, but the 30 minute set times meant there were comparatively long stretches of time where FEAR was not on stage - and literally not present anywhere else in the event. Several of my friends never even saw him despite going through FEAR Revealed, and those who did were far more impressed by the other icons. The consensus was while FEAR was kind of cool looking, he felt kind of out of place and they preferred the interactivity possible with the other icons. The general public DOES love interacting with the icons, that much is clear - creating an icon that cannot truly be interacted with was not a wise move.

A&D is capable of creating seamless events with strong icon characters that get people to show up. Pretty much the past several years are evidence of this, as well as Islands of Fear. I really think this year was successful not really because of FEAR - most people didn't know who he was, what he looked like, and couldn't point him out to you once in the park... I think it was simply the TWENTY YEARS OF FEAR tag line. It's a big anniversary which makes people to think "gee, they must be doing everything EPIC this year". And frankly, they didn't, which was disappointing - the event has actually decreased in size since 2007, which I find incredibly disappointing.

It's not hard to achieve the best of both worlds - create an icon character that is both appealing to the general public (so there has to be some sort of immediately discernable scary visual feature) and features a rich backstory to appeal to the fans, then market that character until there's no tomorrow, as well as giving them a massive park presence. This cements the character in the public's minds, it provides the glue to link the components of the event together, and it provides a strong backstory to build a house off of - what would a house featuring FEAR even be like? A cave? I don't know, I don't know where FEAR came from or where he dwells. Halloween Horror Nights became what it is today due to its commitment to creating original comment, original characters, and immersive events - if they continue with this concept of half-assing a character who has no back story or park presence, then we're back to the late 90s, and Universal might lose a customer or two to Howl-O-Scream - love or hate Sylvie, but she's a textbook example of how you build an icon.

Legacy, while many of your points are quite true (if an ugly truth), I firmly believe Cindy could have been used as an effective icon. I don't know a single person who wouldn't see a black and white little girl with black eyes with smoke billowing out of them and not be creeped out. That type of freaky image (as we saw with Bloody Mary) is plenty enough to sell the event. Regarding FEAR, I still stand by that he was pretty much a failure of an icon. I'm sorry, but the little "Sumerian God of Fear" thing they threw at us does not count as a backstory - we received no indication that FEAR was a god of any kind, it still remains unclear whether FEAR was trapped, who he/it was, why he's held the ceremonies/cycles/whatever, why is the 20th cycle so important, why there are roman numerals on his chest (aging, but we know they can go more in-depth than that), why half of his body is covered in roots while the other half isn't, what relation he has to the icons, what IS the lantern, what happens now that FEAR has been "revealed" given that he hasn't killed or scared a single person? I mean, they didn't even play on the idea that he was to kill the other icons, which WAS included the little "ancient document" that was conjured up at the last minute. And now we're stuck with an omniscient character with no real purpose. As my friend observed (he attended for the first time this year), "they kind of showed all of their cards. Now that this "FEAR" guy is here, they can't really go any bigger." And he's right.

Not to mention that FEAR himself in the park failed, miserably. I know this was an operations thing and couldn't really be avoided given the type of costume they built for FEAR, but the 30 minute set times meant there were comparatively long stretches of time where FEAR was not on stage - and literally not present anywhere else in the event. Several of my friends never even saw him despite going through FEAR Revealed, and those who did were far more impressed by the other icons. The consensus was while FEAR was kind of cool looking, he felt kind of out of place and they preferred the interactivity possible with the other icons. The general public DOES love interacting with the icons, that much is clear - creating an icon that cannot truly be interacted with was not a wise move.

A&D is capable of creating seamless events with strong icon characters that get people to show up. Pretty much the past several years are evidence of this, as well as Islands of Fear. I really think this year was successful not really because of FEAR - most people didn't know who he was, what he looked like, and couldn't point him out to you once in the park... I think it was simply the TWENTY YEARS OF FEAR tag line. It's a big anniversary which makes people to think "gee, they must be doing everything EPIC this year". And frankly, they didn't, which was disappointing - the event has actually decreased in size since 2007, which I find incredibly disappointing.

It's not hard to achieve the best of both worlds - create an icon character that is both appealing to the general public (so there has to be some sort of immediately discernable scary visual feature) and features a rich backstory to appeal to the fans, then market that character until there's no tomorrow, as well as giving them a massive park presence. This cements the character in the public's minds, it provides the glue to link the components of the event together, and it provides a strong backstory to build a house off of - what would a house featuring FEAR even be like? A cave? I don't know, I don't know where FEAR came from or where he dwells. Halloween Horror Nights became what it is today due to its commitment to creating original comment, original characters, and immersive events - if they continue with this concept of half-assing a character who has no back story or park presence, then we're back to the late 90s, and Universal might lose a customer or two to Howl-O-Scream - love or hate Sylvie, but she's a textbook example of how you build an icon.

Thank You!

I really like your post, it really conveys everything I thought about with regards to Fear, I agree with everything you said, Even the Sylvie example, I think Fear could have been more

I think they also try to hype Fear so much that when we saw him we felt disappointed, I was Imagining a different costume for Fear,

I think calling Fear a failure of an icon is going a bit far. Failure in who's eyes? The hard core fans. Maybe. If you look at the GP who attend the event and are most of the people who attend..they really don't care who fear is for the most part. They attend for the event itself, not the icon that they show off. Sure Fear on billboards and commercials looks cool to them, but when it comes down to it..they really don't care. Also I feel Fear is more symbolic than anything. As in.. when you are at the event, and you hear a scream...get scared...etc.. that is the presence of Fear. If you remember that video they released of Hallow'd Past where the girl was taken over by fear... think about it..

I noticed it was pointed out a few time this year that each "icon" was symbolic for something, and I think by doing that they are pointing out to you that he isn't just Fear the icon, but he is what you feel when you are scared or have fear. I think leaving some mystery to him is a good thing especially since I believe he is more of a representation of feelings. They also could be doing more with him in the years to come, but I think Fear did what he was intended to do, I also like how Fear was portrayed.

If anything I have said has been said already.. I did not read most of this thread. Just sayin' ^_^

Edited to add: People like to be easily satisfied, and have everything right out in the open for them to see instead of realizing some things are deeper than that.

Edited by Cinderelly115

Like some of y'all said, The Storyteller was used soley for marketing. The reason why they used her along with Terra Cruentas is this:

The Storyteller, whose name is finally revealed in 2006, did have a presence in 2005. She might not have been in person as much as Terra Cruentas, but she was there. She was on billboards, commercials, the website, shoping displays, apparel, ect. The reason why Universal used her, along with Terra is basically due to Howl-O-Scream. Howl-O-Scream has been known to have icons that appeal to the GP, not neccisarly the fans. The icons for Howl-O-Screams tend to be "sexy". Sylvie, The Raven Twins, and House of Vayne, they sure all seem a bit sexy and scandalous. Even the evil DJ and the cell phone victim, while not "sexy", can relate to the GP with clubs with DJs, music, cell phone, and texting. So Universal decided to create a character along with Terra. Universal didn't want to follow in Busch's footsteps by making "sexy" icons. They wanted their event to look terrifying, edgy, and not for the faint of heart. So they created "The Storyteller". Since Universal must have felt that Terra was too "sexy", they decided not to advertise her, and stick to their path of being edgy and terrifying with The Storyteller.

*All of what I have said, basically came straight from my UTH tour guide. I asked if the theory of The Storyteller being used for marketing was due to Terra's costume not being ready in time for the commerical film was true. He said nope, and told me all of what you see above. In fact I'm second guessing his theory, due to the icon of 2005 being an evil jack-in-the-box in a child's bedroom. Evil jack-in-the-box... sexy? Unless it looked like Harley-Quinn or Chance, I think this theory is MythBusted. Also, Sylvie, House of Vayne, and the Raven twins were used way after 2005.

The Storyteller.... perhaps the most questioned creation by A&D.

Yeah, I actually thought that Sylvie was a better icon this year, if only because of the interactive website, and her quite intricate backstory including "documentaries" and whatnot. It was really detailed. Fear felt tossed together. A failure of an icon? Nah. Could have been worse. But it didn't do too well either. Fallow you pretty much sum up what I am thinking, except for a few little insignificant things, I agree with you completely. I was very disappointed in knowing that they could have had that creepy little girl with smoke billowing out of her eyes on those billboards...but it might have gone back to the original issue of why they didn't use her in the first place. Not saying that HoS was a better event this year, HHN beat it just because of the great and interactive scareactors, houses, and zones. If it was just "scare and run away" at HHN, like how HoS is, HoS would have won. The event this year definitely goes to the actors, hands down.

Have you been wearing it this entire time?

That's....really weird. But it actually sounds like something that I might do.

Yep. :lol: I was going to take it off once all the letters would wear off (it going from solid letters to all of them disentergrating and looking a little more Halloween-ish). but it ripped before the letters wore away.

That reminds me, I never really posted my thoughts on the actual VIP Lounge.

I love it! I didn't go on a night that they had a presentation but I'm glad that I didn't! There was nobody in there except for me and two friends most of the time, and it was so amazing because when Fear Revealed did it's cast changes the icons would come through and have fun with us!

I hope that they have something similar to this again next year.

149428_450611304076_509294076_5625135_4648137_n.jpg

(he was only there for about 30 seconds, and while he was, he stayed perfectly in character and it was amazing)

Edited by Jumboshrmp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...