Halloween Horror Nights 30 Speculation

Mark M.

20 hours ago, Legacy said:

This.

There’s already only between 2-3 weeks between completing strike and starting construction between HHNs. Postponing is less an option than starting early is.

Whoops that's what I meant! Holding off for a spring HHN!

I just completed a new survey from Universal about Covid-19 in general and what measures Universal should be taking now while closed and once they reopen. Multiple questions about ways to make guests few safe. Temperature screening (forehead or body scanner), rapid testing (nasal or mouth swab), and even "immunity cards". One is clearly to cover themselves which is "requiring guest to fill out a health questionnaire about possible symptoms and exposure". You know all guests are not gonna be honest on that and simply say they feel fine.  More questions about food/drink service. Keeping ALL doors open so you don't have to grab any door handles. Spacing of families in shows and rides. Areas to give feedback or ideas that were not mentioned. I mentioned during HHN, do not require guests to keep up with the party in front of them. Let guests walk through the house at the distance they feel comfortable with (within reason).

One question asked if I had a trip planned and when. My answer was Sept 2020. The very next question was, if Universal opens Sept 2020, how quickly would you return to the park. So either they took my first answer and wanted more info, or they are thinking about staying closed for a while still. With Shanghai opening in a few days, i'm curious to see what happens.  

• Like 3

I'm very intrigued on how they go full swing when the parks reopen, I wonder if we will still see the big crowd but divided in a way or something, the capacity I could see not being more but less on some nights. As long as everyone is safe and calm and follow orders this year, which some people will probably be a hard time I'm sure, I could see this year being decent. I'd love for them to do the pulse lines that would alright and make the experiences better as well.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:00 AM, Badge said:

One question asked if I had a trip planned and when. My answer was Sept 2020. The very next question was, if Universal opens Sept 2020, how quickly would you return to the park. So either they took my first answer and wanted more info, or they are thinking about staying closed for a while still. With Shanghai opening in a few days, i'm curious to see what happens.  

I took the survey too and I think it it auto generates more questions based on your answers. 

I'm sure hhn will be going on. After all, the event itself has proven itself to be a huuuuge money maker that keeps growing year after year. Especially after what, a month or more of closing the parks? They're going to after some serious moolah. 

The people that will attend despite the virus will be greater than those that don't because of it. 

In any case, does anyone feel like Universal doesn't take risks with their horror content anymore? I remember one year we practically had Nazi zombies. 

I REALLY hope mask are not required by the time HHN happens.  This is my first trip and I usually go to Universal every year in February.  I cannot imagine wearing a mask in that heat.  My husband and a friend going with us both have beards that are chest length and masks are miserable for them.  I think it will be enough for us to cancel our plans and try it the following year.  I understand masks for now but there has to be a point when they let you make that decision.  If you are scared to get the virus and expect everyone to wear a mask, then you should maybe stay home. Of course I don't want anyone to miss out but I really also don't want to live my life wearing a mask forever. 

3 hours ago, ultimateforce said:

If wearing a mask at night is a deal breaker for you - toughen up. 

If wearing a mask at night is a deal breaker, man are you going to hate this thing called Halloween...

I already regret posting this.

Edited by DocNiktMarr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think Citywalk reopening is true test of if we will get hhn. 
 I am praying that we get hhn this year, I need it badly. 

Strong rumor that we might get covid19 all still walkers streets would interesting with maybe few minions with chainsaws ?  with stages for icon or photo zone.  I already planned on this year being 80% photos streets like 25 was  we had tight nest of scares in there, but if they redesigned it for 6 ft apart? It would be very interesting.   
  Comcast is killing the stay at movies right now,  I wouldn't doubt that we could get a stay at home film house? Unless they releasing Candy man or Halloween Kills Or Forever Purge in October 

On 5/12/2020 at 6:00 PM, Bozo said:

I'm sure hhn will be going on. After all, the event itself has proven itself to be a huuuuge money maker that keeps growing year after year. Especially after what, a month or more of closing the parks? They're going to after some serious moolah. 

The people that will attend despite the virus will be greater than those that don't because of it. 

In any case, does anyone feel like Universal doesn't take risks with their horror content anymore? I remember one year we practically had Nazi zombies. 

This is a major reason why I don't want any more houses. Because it feels like more and more things are becoming "problematic." :rolleyes: The more houses they have to make, the more topics they have to cover, which works directly in opposition with fewer topics that won't offend someone.

That said, Invisible Man has been considered by some as too offensive and that's being floated as a possibility now. I think people aren't giving it enough credit for potential as a house, depending on how creative they're allowed to get with it (it IS a Universal property after all)--imagine an entire house that relies on sensory effects, similar to the Graveyard Games tunnel. Can we agree that that would at least be something new and unique?

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

This is a major reason why I don't want any more houses. Because it feels like more and more things are becoming "problematic." :rolleyes: The more houses they have to make, the more topics they have to cover, which works directly in opposition with fewer topics that won't offend someone.

That said, Invisible Man has been considered by some as too offensive and that's being floated as a possibility now. I think people aren't giving it enough credit for potential as a house, depending on how creative they're allowed to get with it (it IS a Universal property after all)--imagine an entire house that relies on sensory effects, similar to the Graveyard Games tunnel. Can we agree that that would at least be something new and unique?

I always was such a hater on the idea of Invisible Man having a house,  but when you compare it to the Graveyard Games tunnel and really think about how it could be effective through just sensory, i'm honestly down. Your comparison has changed my views! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Unless it has to do with a spoiler for the new movie, why would Invisible Man be considered too offensive?

18 minutes ago, kablue said:

Unless it has to do with a spoiler for the new movie, why would Invisible Man be considered too offensive?

I think it would be because of the domestic abuse theme - i could be wrong though

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ultimateforce said:

This is really interesting. The site was created on 3/30/20 and was only purchased for 1 year. Esoteric Pictures is the name on the gate leading backstage near Horror Make Up Show. I'm unable to find anything about who purchased the domain. Either a fan just wanting to have fun or something more official and a tease of whats to come.  I'm leaning more towards fan created but its hard to tell.

There is also a Twitter that was set up. The video plays a little longer in one of the tweets they sent out. I'm having a hard time making out the faces in the video. https://twitter.com/EsotericPicture

Edited by Badge

The pictures of the icons in the video (usher, director, and crypt keeper) are all new images of them. The directors is definitely more up to date and looks new, same with the usher. I do remember back in January hearing team members saying they spotted the usher and storyteller back near where you enter for the grinchmas show. Maybe for footage like this being filmed?! It does seem fan made however, but it really is raising an eyebrow at the professionalism of the pictures popping up through the video..

19 hours ago, kablue said:

It’s entirely about a domestic abuser attempting to gaslight his romantic partner.

6 hours ago, HaunterG said:

The pictures of the icons in the video (usher, director, and crypt keeper) are all new images of them. The directors is definitely more up to date and looks new, same with the usher. I do remember back in January hearing team members saying they spotted the usher and storyteller back near where you enter for the grinchmas show. Maybe for footage like this being filmed?! It does seem fan made however, but it really is raising an eyebrow at the professionalism of the pictures popping up through the video..

I remember reading about this too. I want a year were all of them were in the spotlight again. 25 put its main focus on Jack and just had a little tease of the others. I want them all back in a bigger way. I just hope that if that was the plan, this pandemic doesn't mess it all up. I would much rather they delay the big 30 than do a watered down version. With the 18+ months now that it takes to develop this event each year, I really don't think they could modify it that much. If the plan was all the icons, i'm sure the merch has already been created and production well under way. Ads and TV commercials already filmed with them. I feel like after a few weeks of the park being open, that's when we will have a clearer picture as to what is gonna happen. 

On a side note, when does casting usually start? We are getting toward the end of May. I thought we usually had dates for casting by now.

I think if anything is changing this year it’s the IP houses. They may be removed and we could be getting an all original content year or returning IP houses. Of course this is just a thought but who knows. The event seems to be going on. 

10 hours ago, Legacy said:

It’s entirely about a domestic abuser attempting to gaslight his romantic partner.

Do you think this means it won’t happen? I had been holding out hope for five originals whenever the event happens next.

I could see them doing a more abstract approach as a way around the subject matter.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

Here is exactly how I see the event going this year:

1. Yes the event will happen and yes it will be the 30th Anniversary. Will changes need to be made? Of course. But we can’t exactly tell how much of an extent the changes will have on the event until the parks reopen.

2. Social Distancing- I totally think that the capacity for the event will be at 75% of the normal amount. With that, I think there will be restrictions on passes and access to the event. Such as frequent fear and stuff. Also, many might not know but team members usually have full access to the event, last year team members were blocked out for 2 weeks at the end of October To help with capacity count. I can see universal restricting team member access from the event in it’s entirety. Maybe having like 3 hhn passes for team members To use during the event. Instead of full access. Plus preview night. 
3. islands of adventure will be open- I think half of islands will be open to guests attending the event to help with social distancing. With this I think toon lagoon and Jurassic park will be closed off. also limited attractions operating over there such as Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey and maybe Hulk. I don’t believe we will see any frights in that park expect maybe a chainsaw group by port of entry. Connection of the parks similar to grinchmas. 
4. The Theme- I think we will be seeing a heavy original content year. IP houses being erased from this years event to save some money and save for more of the general public that mainly come to the event for them anyways. Which is fitting for an anniversary year. I think the focus will be the icons and the story Line will have to do with Carey Ohio celebrating the past haunts. I do believe that this years commercial and media have already been filmed with original/icon content. As some of the icons have been seen by the sound stages earlier this year in production. 
5. Shows and Houses- it’s hard to tell how they would put on a show at fear factor this year unless they mark the bleachers for spacing. If the Bill and Ted reunion tour was true as it was circulating backstage and amongst TM, I am curious to see if they’d save it or use it this year. Houses I think will be a stop and go type of thing. Meaning each individual or party goes in with a 10 second gap until the next group enters. Definitely making the lines longer but possibly getting rid of express passes for this years event to help with the waits. RIP tours still available.

30 will happen and it will be great. In the fall everyone will be there with a nice cold beer in their hands and appreciating the event being open. It’s a huge money maker for universal and they can’t wait to put the event on as much as we can’t wait to go. Yes it may be different, but different may be good! We may be getting an old horror nights vibe again. While celebrating the past and icons and stories we all love and know. This could be the year for the fans. Just my opinion and some speculation. Sorry for the length. 

2 hours ago, HaunterG said:

Here is exactly how I see the event going this year:

1. Yes the event will happen and yes it will be the 30th Anniversary. Will changes need to be made? Of course. But we can’t exactly tell how much of an extent the changes will have on the event until the parks reopen.

2. Social Distancing- I totally think that the capacity for the event will be at 75% of the normal amount. With that, I think there will be restrictions on passes and access to the event. Such as frequent fear and stuff. Also, many might not know but team members usually have full access to the event, last year team members were blocked out for 2 weeks at the end of October To help with capacity count. I can see universal restricting team member access from the event in it’s entirety. Maybe having like 3 hhn passes for team members To use during the event. Instead of full access. Plus preview night. 
3. islands of adventure will be open- I think half of islands will be open to guests attending the event to help with social distancing. With this I think toon lagoon and Jurassic park will be closed off. also limited attractions operating over there such as Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey and maybe Hulk. I don’t believe we will see any frights in that park expect maybe a chainsaw group by port of entry. Connection of the parks similar to grinchmas. 
4. The Theme- I think we will be seeing a heavy original content year. IP houses being erased from this years event to save some money and save for more of the general public that mainly come to the event for them anyways. Which is fitting for an anniversary year. I think the focus will be the icons and the story Line will have to do with Carey Ohio celebrating the past haunts. I do believe that this years commercial and media have already been filmed with original/icon content. As some of the icons have been seen by the sound stages earlier this year in production. 
5. Shows and Houses- it’s hard to tell how they would put on a show at fear factor this year unless they mark the bleachers for spacing. If the Bill and Ted reunion tour was true as it was circulating backstage and amongst TM, I am curious to see if they’d save it or use it this year. Houses I think will be a stop and go type of thing. Meaning each individual or party goes in with a 10 second gap until the next group enters. Definitely making the lines longer but possibly getting rid of express passes for this years event to help with the waits. RIP tours still available.

30 will happen and it will be great. In the fall everyone will be there with a nice cold beer in their hands and appreciating the event being open. It’s a huge money maker for universal and they can’t wait to put the event on as much as we can’t wait to go. Yes it may be different, but different may be good! We may be getting an old horror nights vibe again. While celebrating the past and icons and stories we all love and know. This could be the year for the fans. Just my opinion and some speculation. Sorry for the length. 

I agree with most of this exact for Islands being open. I also see the capacity being 50%.

With capacity being down, Islands doesn't need to be open. Rides very rarely have much of wait during HHN except for maybe RRR.  Adding islands would increase operating costs by quite a bit for no reason. 

I am expecting no express passes this year. Again, capacity being cut means way less crowds. They can then use the express pass space to socially distance the line and help control the pacing of guests entering the houses. Other tickets are gonna be interesting. I really hope the Rush of Fear is still a thing but I could see just single night tickets with a discount being applied for the more nights you purchase at the same time with all guests needing to select the date they are attending. 

I see alcohol being SEVERELY limited or possibly this year being a dry event. We ALL know alcohol brings out the bad side of quite a few guests. Its the reason we have Orlando PD and Security all over the park and the exits of all houses. Trying to tell a drunk (or even slightly tipsy) guest to put on their mask or to socially distance while in queue is not gonna go over well. Universal (and theme parks in general) need to make sure they stay out of the press for things happening. The last thing we need is a drunk guest assaulting a TM just trying to keep people safe and following the guidelines.