Halloween Horror Nights 30 Speculation

Mark M.

2 hours ago, HaunterG said:

Here is exactly how I see the event going this year:

1. Yes the event will happen and yes it will be the 30th Anniversary. Will changes need to be made? Of course. But we can’t exactly tell how much of an extent the changes will have on the event until the parks reopen.

2. Social Distancing- I totally think that the capacity for the event will be at 75% of the normal amount. With that, I think there will be restrictions on passes and access to the event. Such as frequent fear and stuff. Also, many might not know but team members usually have full access to the event, last year team members were blocked out for 2 weeks at the end of October To help with capacity count. I can see universal restricting team member access from the event in it’s entirety. Maybe having like 3 hhn passes for team members To use during the event. Instead of full access. Plus preview night. 
3. islands of adventure will be open- I think half of islands will be open to guests attending the event to help with social distancing. With this I think toon lagoon and Jurassic park will be closed off. also limited attractions operating over there such as Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey and maybe Hulk. I don’t believe we will see any frights in that park expect maybe a chainsaw group by port of entry. Connection of the parks similar to grinchmas. 
4. The Theme- I think we will be seeing a heavy original content year. IP houses being erased from this years event to save some money and save for more of the general public that mainly come to the event for them anyways. Which is fitting for an anniversary year. I think the focus will be the icons and the story Line will have to do with Carey Ohio celebrating the past haunts. I do believe that this years commercial and media have already been filmed with original/icon content. As some of the icons have been seen by the sound stages earlier this year in production. 
5. Shows and Houses- it’s hard to tell how they would put on a show at fear factor this year unless they mark the bleachers for spacing. If the Bill and Ted reunion tour was true as it was circulating backstage and amongst TM, I am curious to see if they’d save it or use it this year. Houses I think will be a stop and go type of thing. Meaning each individual or party goes in with a 10 second gap until the next group enters. Definitely making the lines longer but possibly getting rid of express passes for this years event to help with the waits. RIP tours still available.

30 will happen and it will be great. In the fall everyone will be there with a nice cold beer in their hands and appreciating the event being open. It’s a huge money maker for universal and they can’t wait to put the event on as much as we can’t wait to go. Yes it may be different, but different may be good! We may be getting an old horror nights vibe again. While celebrating the past and icons and stories we all love and know. This could be the year for the fans. Just my opinion and some speculation. Sorry for the length. 

Once again...

"Don't do that.

Don't give me hope."

(Both for the event being able to happen at this level of operational normalcy, and for the content to be fanservice heavy.)

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

17 hours ago, Badge said:

I agree with most of this exact for Islands being open. I also see the capacity being 50%.

With capacity being down, Islands doesn't need to be open. Rides very rarely have much of wait during HHN except for maybe RRR.  Adding islands would increase operating costs by quite a bit for no reason. 

I am expecting no express passes this year. Again, capacity being cut means way less crowds. They can then use the express pass space to socially distance the line and help control the pacing of guests entering the houses. Other tickets are gonna be interesting. I really hope the Rush of Fear is still a thing but I could see just single night tickets with a discount being applied for the more nights you purchase at the same time with all guests needing to select the date they are attending. 

I see alcohol being SEVERELY limited or possibly this year being a dry event. We ALL know alcohol brings out the bad side of quite a few guests. Its the reason we have Orlando PD and Security all over the park and the exits of all houses. Trying to tell a drunk (or even slightly tipsy) guest to put on their mask or to socially distance while in queue is not gonna go over well. Universal (and theme parks in general) need to make sure they stay out of the press for things happening. The last thing we need is a drunk guest assaulting a TM just trying to keep people safe and following the guidelines.  

I honestly don't see them putting any restrictions on alcohol. Commerce of alcohol is a huge revenue source for Universal due to it's demand and mark up of prices Universal imposes. I don't see them diluting the sales of alcohol at all. 

23 hours ago, Badge said:

I agree with most of this exact for Islands being open. I also see the capacity being 50%.

With capacity being down, Islands doesn't need to be open. Rides very rarely have much of wait during HHN except for maybe RRR.  Adding islands would increase operating costs by quite a bit for no reason. 

I am expecting no express passes this year. Again, capacity being cut means way less crowds. They can then use the express pass space to socially distance the line and help control the pacing of guests entering the houses. Other tickets are gonna be interesting. I really hope the Rush of Fear is still a thing but I could see just single night tickets with a discount being applied for the more nights you purchase at the same time with all guests needing to select the date they are attending. 

I see alcohol being SEVERELY limited or possibly this year being a dry event. We ALL know alcohol brings out the bad side of quite a few guests. Its the reason we have Orlando PD and Security all over the park and the exits of all houses. Trying to tell a drunk (or even slightly tipsy) guest to put on their mask or to socially distance while in queue is not gonna go over well. Universal (and theme parks in general) need to make sure they stay out of the press for things happening. The last thing we need is a drunk guest assaulting a TM just trying to keep people safe and following the guidelines.  

Express passes and alcohol bring in so much revenue that there is no way they get cut imo.

• Like 1

Well, with the parks now opening to the public on June 5th after they had their meeting with the city, we will find out HHN stuff soon hopefully. They extended the BOGO ticket offer until the end of July so they are clearly still planning on having the event. Most of the stuff we expected in their safety plans. No water features on rides was an odd one but I guess it makes sense. Also virtual queues for most rides. This got me thinking.

What if this year HHN does virtual queues for all the houses. With a reduced capacity, its something they could pull off. If they offer express, its main perk could be skipping the virtual queue portion and getting right in line. Today they showed off how they are gonna handle queues with switchbacks and if that carries into HHN, its gonna mean queues are gonna be LONG. No party will be standing in a switchback with another family to either side of them or 8 ft in front or behind them. If they go the virtual queue route, they won't need as much space and could use the express pass space for the regular queue. Maybe keep the regular queue at 20 minutes or less and then switch to virtual with express never having more than 20 minute wait. 

Just Finally hearing from sources in the park that HHN 30 will indeed not be happening this year. Apparently There’s an event expected to happen called “Universals Fall Festival”. Bringing characters and everyday faces from the parks such as costume characters to attraction workers in Halloween attire passing out candy with a “Halloween vibe to the park”. Will be taking place during the day/early evening From September 18- October 31st and be welcoming to guests of all ages. HHN Is set to return in 2021. Announcement supposed to come June 19, and the headline “Scare ya later!” Don’t know exactly how true this is, and again only hearing it from multiple people inside the parks. Hope it’s not true, but seems legit and like a planned out idea from universal. Still hoping for a HHN 30, but after hearing this multiple times the past couple days, doesn’t seem likely anymore. What do you guys think of this? Smart? Or completely whack? Guess time will tell in coming weeks. Fingers crossed.

• Sad 1

On 5/20/2020 at 12:25 AM, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Do you have a legit sauce? Or just gut feeling? And do you see that changing?

I've been around for awhile here and I've seen it this year. I might be wrong on the one IP thing after recent events but I still feel like it's for the long-term fans. And as of right now I don't see it changing. There's always a possibility it will but I don't see it. 

The comment above mine is not something I've heard at all, and if anything I can see that possibly being a daytime activity to supplement HHN.

Edited by carnage

55 minutes ago, HaunterG said:

Just Finally hearing from sources in the park that HHN 30 will indeed not be happening this year. Apparently There’s an event expected to happen called “Universals Fall Festival”. Bringing characters and everyday faces from the parks such as costume characters to attraction workers in Halloween attire passing out candy with a “Halloween vibe to the park”. Will be taking place during the day/early evening From September 18- October 31st and be welcoming to guests of all ages. HHN Is set to return in 2021. Announcement supposed to come June 19, and the headline “Scare ya later!” Don’t know exactly how true this is, and again only hearing it from multiple people inside the parks. Hope it’s not true, but seems legit and like a planned out idea from universal. Still hoping for a HHN 30, but after hearing this multiple times the past couple days, doesn’t seem likely anymore. What do you guys think of this? Smart? Or completely whack? Guess time will tell in coming weeks. Fingers crossed.

If true might be for the best. But hopefully the "Fall Festival" isn't such a success that they basically decide to make the event much more like it when it returns.

Ironically, Fright Nights seemed very much like this. Like, I think if Fright Nights were to happen in the modern era as it was it would get sooooo many family friendly complaints.

1 hour ago, HaunterG said:

Considering HHN recently extended their BOGO sale to July 22nd, that doesn't sound like they're cancelling HHN this year now does it?

3 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Considering HHN recently extended their BOGO sale to July 22nd, that doesn't sound like they're cancelling HHN this year now does it?

This is why I’m sooo unsure and don’t understand it because why would they extend it if they know they were going to cancel? They won’t want to go through the refunding process 

I, too, am confused about the BOGO extension.  In lieu of a decision, I imagine marketing is just proceeding as planned.  I don't see them selling any of these unless they allow refunds for a cancelled event.

The idea of a Fall Festival doesn't surprise me, but I won't believe it until they announce it.  I have never seen any logistical way HHN could happen this year.  Social distancing is the antitheses of everything related to a haunted house.  Get the already-budgeted construction out of the way this year and put on the show next year.  Makes sense to me.  It would still be the 30th no matter when they presented it.  I think things will be fully back to normal in 2021 in terms of crowds.  Assuming there is still a theme park and hospitality industry.

This notion of a Fall Festival would let Universal test the waters for some ideas I'm sure have been on the burner:

• Can they present a family friendly competitor to MNSSHP?  Maybe something that would fit into IOA or the new park?
  • They had a no-actor version of Stranger Things open last year following HHN.  Maybe open one house early in the year - i.e. testing how a year-round haunt might work in Orlando.  Personally, I could see them doing that with Shrek.

7 hours ago, HaunterG said:

This is why I’m sooo unsure and don’t understand it because why would they extend it if they know they were going to cancel?

Simple. If they knew they were going to cancel and make an announcement about it's cancellation in June, they wouldn't extend the BOGO offer to July. They'd probably also put a stop to the ticket and FFP sales in the UK, and wouldn't be doing interviews for management positions for the event.
Yet the BOGO offer was extended to July, UK ticket sales haven't been halted and they're doing virtual interviews for management positions.

3 minutes ago, zombieman said:

In my opinion, the BOGO offer is something operated by a third party operator

The BOGO tickets are sold directly from Universal/HHN. (It's found right on HHN under tickets.) That's no 3rd party.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

The BOGO tickets are sold directly from Universal/HHN. (It's found right on HHN under tickets.) That's no 3rd party.

You got me before my edit :) 

I was getting those confused with the UK tickets that were being sold.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 12:22 AM, Legacy said:

It’s entirely about a domestic abuser attempting to gaslight his romantic partner.

as opposed to murders, disease, monsters, catastrophes, etc? Silly as hell... but people like to nit-pick what they are offended by now a days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

as opposed to murders, disease, monsters, catastrophes, etc? Silly as hell... but people like to nit-pick what they are offended by now a days.

So the topic of Michael Myers shows parallels to the topic of gaslighting? Or a Dracula haunted house is the exact same thing as a haunted house based entirely on domestic abuse?

I genuinely hope the people making HHN aren’t so extraordinarily dumb as to actually think that’s a good idea. 

Edit: I hope some of the men championing this idea will take the chance to educate themselves on why it would be so deeply wrong for Universal to spin a story like The Invisible Man into a haunted attraction...

The Invisible Man Through the Eyes of a Survivor

How The Invisible Man Based Its Gaslighting Thriller on Real-Life Stories of Abuse

and if it helps to read it through the words of a man...

How Men Can Help End Domestic Violence

Edited by DraculaTeeth
Because I desperately want to believe the HHN community can be better.

22 hours ago, HaunterG said:

I am not sure why they would sell Horror Nights tickets then.  Seems kinda crappy to market a ticket for something that isn't happening. They should have changed the name of the ticket already if that's the case.

15 minutes ago, Nicci0110 said:

I am not sure why they would sell Horror Nights tickets then.  Seems kinda crappy to market a ticket for something that isn't happening. They should have changed the name of the ticket already if that's the case.

who knows.... they might have had every intention on going forth with it.... might be a recent decision to nix the whole thing... I mean refunding money is a few mouse clicks. I wonder if the BOGO tix sale didnt produce the numbers they were looking for?

• Like 1

Well this sucks.

I just got an Orlando survey.  

UO: Which type of OUAP do you have?  Me: Seasonal

UO: In what year were you born?  Me: 1967

UO: Thanks for your time, Boomer!

I wonder which answer disqualified me...

<full disclosure: they didn't actually say "Boomer">

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zombieman said:

Well this sucks.

Well, technically you're not a Boomer. ;)

I really doubt that they are cancelling it. They wouldn't extend the BOGO offer to a point after this "planned announcement". Also, way wait almost another month to announce it? If the rumor is true, they have their mind made up, just announce it now so people can change their travel plans and stop ticket sales so less to refund. 

If anything I could see this "Fall Festival" idea coming to Hollywood. With California still under a big lockdown, no plan in sight of when California parks will open, I feel like things will be much stricter once they open...if they are even open by Sept. 

This Fall festival thing is to attract more people, Why limit the halloween to one park? This could be kicking the door open to Not so scary halloween money, or Spooktacter money. 
 I doubt that it would be canceled but maybe We might get midnight closes again? double the time to clean the park, since the park opens at 7am for Early park admission. 
  I mean we just adapting to Japan model for hhn? 

7 hours ago, zombieman said:

Well this sucks.

I did the same survey, they basically asked if I were likely to return to park for cheap tickets. 
 I am like yes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littlegreenghouls said:

This Fall festival thing is to attract more people, Why limit the halloween to one park? This could be kicking the door open to Not so scary halloween money, or Spooktacter money. 
 I doubt that it would be canceled but maybe We might get midnight closes again? double the time to clean the park, since the park opens at 7am for Early park admission. 
  I mean we just adapting to Japan model for hhn? 

I did the same survey, they basically asked if I were likely to return to park for cheap tickets. 
 I am like yes.  

They must have concluded that because I am old I am rich.

Little do they know I would have said "No!  I want the tickets to be 10x the price.  If I can't go, NO ONE CAN!" :capt:

Or something.

• Haha 1