HHN XX Jobs & Auditions

They need all shapes, sizes and colors of people for roles. Like what was said above, just be outgoing, well spoken and act like you want to be there. Be honest and a few 'sirs' and 'ma'am' don't hurt either.

Also, what times do scareactors need to be at Universal on HHN nights. I mean if it starts at 6:30, would we be getting there at like 5:30? I currently am signed up for a class that gets out at 4:30 on Fridays and I need to know if I should change that before auditions (so that my schedule will be more open).

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im going to say some things, just because im so excited for this year and absolutely love being a scareactor. sorry cuz ill probably ramble on, but i cant help it.

HHN 19 was my first year going to the event, and i had wanted to audition that year but couldn't...so last year was my year. I had no idea what to expect or what to do/think, other than go buy what i had read on the Vault. not knowing anyone, i was going alone. dont let that get to you, before we even got inside, i made friends with a couple people who happened to be vaulters...we even shared an umbrella.... big thing as said....go early! from what invader butters said, i was in the first audition group with him...talk about lucky, by the time we got out of auditions and finished paper work, people were still lined up outside with numbers 800+. and that was probably 5 hours after i showed up.

ok so...ENTHUSIASM! thats a huge thing! and ENERGY! talk about feeling nervous...in front of people i know i can be goofy and outgoing, but having to just instantly perform in front of 60 people, i'd rather not. but once i stepped into that room, and realized everyones here for the same reason, my nerves went away. what you have to realize, is we are all there to do the same thing. be loud! outgoing! and fun!. your not the only one trying to make a fool out of yourself in some way. you'll get questions like, fav. color, movie. or i got do a scare tactic. people did, slow movements, creepy voices...i did my known ACOC creature noise!

what i didn't realize before i went in, is that they really cast by body types. they have a picture of you before you walk in...so basically they could already have you set in a roll as something, and only need to see that you can be energetic...

ok so now, i wanna talk about actually being a scareactor...sorry mods if this is too much, edit or delete haha...

for me, being a scareactor has been one of those, i've dreamed of this since i was a kid moment. i love behind the scenes stuff, even it its only seeing what the kitchen is like in a restaurant, or the backroom of a grocery store. but now imagine the backlots of universal for HHN.

the only two awkward things i remember, were 1.) rehearsals. first day meeting your cast/seeing your character and SZ. we were placed where we were supposed to stand and told, ok do your role! uhh, serious? 2.) was the first time standing shirtless in my lacking creature costume in a room filled with people.

from there, you realize this is your new family. everyday, i saw and interacted with the same people, not only from my cast and SZ. but other houses and SZ's as well. including also, your coordinators, make up crew, and wardrobe crew...take care of these people. they all show up everyday to make sure everything's ready for you and you look good, so throw them a cookie or something sometime!

when i read what Giant said about, hurting in places and sweating. made me laugh cuz its so true. as a creature, our freedom and movements were nuts, so the pain i felt throughout the event was shocking...the sweat was intense, though dont forget the couple 50 degree nights us shirtless guys dealt with. oh that blew. you'll learn about pacing yourself! i was so excited my first night, and just went nuts cuz its so god damn fun. but oh, you'll learn. i always gave it 110% but just take it easy.

i myself work a regular 40 hour job, and live an hour from hhn. 7-5, hour drive to uni. check in at 7. out at 12:30 or 2:30, hour home. 2 hour nap and my days started over. dont play this job down, its so much fun...but its demanding! ill mention times at hhn. i was lucky being in cast B. I didn't sign in till 7 pm, and we had 45 mins for makeup before our first set at 8. but, some houses actually open at i believe 5:30, requiring those castmembers to be there id guess at 4:30. nothing is set! it all depends on house/sz/cast..

ok ok, ill shut up for now, cuz i could discuss this all day...if you have any questions, message me...

Edited by mrbungle5223

im going to say some things, just because im so excited for this year and absolutely love being a scareactor. sorry cuz ill probably ramble on, but i cant help it.

HHN 19 was my first year going to the event, and i had wanted to audition that year but couldn't...so last year was my year. I had no idea what to expect or what to do/think, other than go buy what i had read on the Vault. not knowing anyone, i was going alone. dont let that get to you, before we even got inside, i made friends with a couple people who happened to be vaulters...we even shared an umbrella.... big thing as said....go early! from what invader butters said, i was in the first audition group with him...talk about lucky, by the time we got out of auditions and finished paper work, people were still lined up outside with numbers 800+. and that was probably 5 hours after i showed up.

ok so...ENTHUSIASM! thats a huge thing! and ENERGY! talk about feeling nervous...in front of people i know i can be goofy and outgoing, but having to just instantly perform in front of 60 people, i'd rather not. but once i stepped into that room, and realized everyones here for the same reason, my nerves went away. what you have to realize, is we are all there to do the same thing. be loud! outgoing! and fun!. your not the only one trying to make a fool out of yourself in some way. you'll get questions like, fav. color, movie. or i got do a scare tactic. people did, slow movements, creepy voices...i did my known ACOC creature noise!

what i didn't realize before i went in, is that they really cast by body types. they have a picture of you before you walk in...so basically they could already have you set in a roll as something, and only need to see that you can be energetic...

ok so now, i wanna talk about actually being a scareactor...sorry mods if this is too much, edit or delete haha...

for me, being a scareactor has been one of those, i've dreamed of this since i was a kid moment. i love behind the scenes stuff, even it its only seeing what the kitchen is like in a restaurant, or the backroom of a grocery store. but now imagine the backlots of universal for HHN.

the only two awkward things i remember, were 1.) rehearsals. first day meeting your cast/seeing your character and SZ. we were placed where we were supposed to stand and told, ok do your role! uhh, serious? 2.) was the first time standing shirtless in my lacking creature costume in a room filled with people.

from there, you realize this is your new family. everyday, i saw and interacted with the same people, not only from my cast and SZ. but other houses and SZ's as well. including also, your coordinators, make up crew, and wardrobe crew...take care of these people. they all show up everyday to make sure everything's ready for you and you look good, so throw them a cookie or something sometime!

when i read what Giant said about, hurting in places and sweating. made me laugh cuz its so true. as a creature, our freedom and movements were nuts, so the pain i felt throughout the event was shocking...the sweat was intense, though dont forget the couple 50 degree nights us shirtless guys dealt with. oh that blew. you'll learn about pacing yourself! i was so excited my first night, and just went nuts cuz its so god damn fun. but oh, you'll learn. i always gave it 110% but just take it easy.

i myself work a regular 40 hour job, and live an hour from hhn. 7-5, hour drive to uni. check in at 7. out at 12:30 or 2:30, hour home. 2 hour nap and my days started over. dont play this job down, its so much fun...but its demanding! ill mention times at hhn. i was lucky being in cast B. I didn't sign in till 7 pm, and we had 45 mins for makeup before our first set at 8. but, some houses actually open at i believe 5:30, requiring those castmembers to be there id guess at 4:30. nothing is set! it all depends on house/sz/cast..

ok ok, ill shut up for now, cuz i could discuss this all day...if you have any questions, message me...

Thank you! This was very helpful!

I've been applying to multiple jobs at Universal because I just have to get out of the call center. Not a bad job... or bad pay... just hit a celing after 5 years and I don't want to talk to 100 + people on the phone everyday.

Anyway, I think if I don't land something else I will definitely try for scareactor. I also work 40 hrs and live/work roughly an hour from Uni... But being a scareactor has always been on the list of things I would love to do and I have always wanted to work for Uni full-time... So anything there would help I'm sure.

Well this will be my 6th year should things work out for me to work it. I think most has been covered but I wanted to add, If you are a first year scareactor, do exactly what they ask of you, do not improvise without permission. It is hard to watch the seasoned scareactors pushing the limits and you doing as told. As seasoned scareactors we know limits, and many times we will get close to them, but as a first year you will be looked at differently, not because of you but because they do not know you, and what your limits are.

Safety is huge, push the safety and you will no longer be a scareactor. There were several last year who were first year and did not follow this advise and found themselves no longer a scareactor.

And PLEASE, if you are not of the "Larger" body types do not get in peoples faces then complain when you get hit. I can say Giant and myself are both in the extra large variety and yes we have been in peoples faces, but being seasoned we know our limits.

well i had my first day of orientation not too long ago.. but they actually changed their rule and now i have to wait 6 months to transfer to anywhere else... so i wont be aiding in the scaring till '11.. but expect me there to see you guys do what you guys do best :D

♫ Katz

Also, don't post shit online that you're not supposed to. Don't put anything on your facebook, myspace, twitter, and especially not this site or others such as IOACentral. You will find yourself no longer employed the next day. Countless people get termed with no rehire every year for posting things such as pictures behind the scenes and even silly things like projected volume for the night. Universal does not have a union and you will not get your job back. If you think Universal doesn't keep their eyes on this site (and other fansites) during the course of the year (and especially during events like HHN) then you'd better think twice. I worked at Universal for two years, you wouldn't believe the things I've seen people fired for, and how easily they can get into your facebook/myspace pages and read through everything you post on your wall. Just keep your mouth shut.

Edited by Audio

min wage. though, if your a stiltwalker, or doing things like i believe dracula brides who were hanging in the houses...to my knowledge they get paid more...and even firecrew may?

but they are hiring upwards of 1000 people, so they cant pay much. though if you get the job, trust me the benefits through Uni are tremendous!

trust me the benefits through Uni are tremendous!

Not really, you get into the parks for free and a small discount on merch and some restaurants outside of the parks. You don't get much else unless you're a FT team member.

Not really, you get into the parks for free and a small discount on merch and some restaurants outside of the parks. You don't get much else unless you're a FT team member.

idk man, i mean with the pages of discounts you get outside from the park...including free attendance and parking...for less than a months work of having fun? i'd say thats a good deal

Edited by mrbungle5223

idk man, i mean with the pages of discounts you of the park...including free attendance and parking...for less than a months work of having fun? i'd say thats a good deal

It's good for going to the park, but if you're looking for actual benefits like paid holidays, insurance, etc. then I'd stay far away.

It's good for going to the park, but if you're looking for actual benefits like paid holidays, insurance, etc. then I'd stay far away.

ha ya, i was only speaking for seasonal actors...having a regular job offering me all of that, on top of the Uni perks...im more than satisfied..

We do get all the full perks of regular team members (aside from insurance, etc) :)

Regular scareactors get minimum...if you have a role that involves "stunt" work (ie flying, costume like Meety Meetz, chainsaw etc) or if you are in a show you get paid more.

And C_D is right on the money. if it is your first year, don't try to push the limits. you'll learn new scare tactics and learn to form your own boundaries of how to scare and not get hit/abused. nobody should do things like I do LOL I do what I do because I know how to do it and be safe...

Also, don't post shit online that you're not supposed to. Don't put anything on your facebook, myspace, twitter, and especially not this site or others such as IOACentral. You will find yourself no longer employed the next day. Countless people get termed with no rehire every year for posting things such as pictures behind the scenes and even silly things like projected volume for the night. Universal does not have a union and you will not get your job back. If you think Universal doesn't keep their eyes on this site (and other fansites) during the course of the year (and especially during events like HHN) then you'd better think twice. I worked at Universal for two years, you wouldn't believe the things I've seen people fired for, and how easily they can get into your facebook/myspace pages and read through everything you post on your wall. Just keep your mouth shut.

oh believe me... i dont plan to say anything.. i like having a job!!! hahah .. thanks for the reoccuring forewarning though.. just makes me want to shut up even more :P

♫ Katz

Do we have audition dates yet? for non returning people? I'm actually living in orlando this fall and I'll be able to audition for ABU. ^.^

Rachael ... A scareactor? Wow. That would be cool. What are you doing in Orlando this fall?

I've read some really good advices on this thread and i just wanted to add, for those who are

auditioning for the first time this year, it might make you feel a little nervous but try not to show it

as well as for people that are naturally shy try to be more open. I've learn from my mistakes last year while

auditioning so am ready for this year.