HHN XX Speculation

Mark M.

That's a very nice article but this question was a bit silly "And if this is truly an era in Darkness...where does the tree fit in?" Erik needs to go back and watch Legend again. What was the doorway into Darkness' lair in that movie? Oh yeah, a big honking Evil Tree!

See here>Darkness' Tree

And then there is the Tree of the Dead from Sleepy Hollow...

sleepy.jpg

I wonder if they will have a 'big honking Evil Tree' as the enterance to the park? Or perhaps in the area The Arrival and Carnival of Carnage shows occupied.

I am so ready for this year. I need some serious scares to relieve some stress.

Mae

Edited by Mae

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they will have a 'big honking Evil Tree' as the enterance to the park? Or perhaps in the area The Arrival and Carnival of Carnage shows occupied.

I am so ready for this year. I need some serious scares to relieve some stress.

Mae

I posted my idea for one HHN year, and it was called "History of Horror" that showed, well... the history of horror on another site. It had a scarezone where Cirque du Freak was last year, between Central Park and Kidzone. It had this huge tree "coming out of the ground" from various spots on the circumfrence of the circular layout of that area. My creation went up about 30 feet into the air. Is a somewhat abstract thing to visualize.

Is this practical, probally not, but it's a neat thing to think about.

What would it be made of, I don't know.

A good sized portion of the budget would go towards this, but it would be the main scarezone, the heart of the event.

Was Cirque du Freak freakishly crowded, yes!

I posted my idea for one HHN year, and it was called "History of Horror" that showed, well... the history of horror on another site. It had a scarezone where Cirque du Freak was last year, between Central Park and Kidzone. It had this huge tree "coming out of the ground" from various spots on the circumfrence of the circular layout of that area. My creation went up about 30 feet into the air. Is a somewhat abstract thing to visualize.

Is this practical, probally not, but it's a neat thing to think about.

What would it be made of, I don't know. A good sized portion of the budget would go towards this, but it would be the main scarezone, the heart of the event. Was Cirque du Freak freakishly crowded, yes!

I'd be down for it, even tho I tire of the crowds in that area. The whole of Central Park was used best in 2000 and 2008, say I, and they just haven't managed to create the right effect most of the years I have been. Oh, and since this is Universal and they love taking shots at Disney, how cool would it be to have a Tree of Death to mirror their Tree of Lifein the Animal Kingdom? Instead of animals they could have zombies, aliens, monsters, a smattering of scream queens and their slasher/stalkers, and HHN icons. If I could sculpt I'd do one myself. Alas, I must only dream...

Mae

So does that mean we'd be seeing you know who, the guy who's name starts with E and we're forbidden from ever mentioning his name? I mean thats to say if this year is all about giving the former icons who never had a chance to shine, to actually come out and shine.

Edited by Ras13

I find it amusing how anyone can look at the ideas being batted around for HHN 20 and consider any of them "new". Unless you consider taking all of your old ideas, putting them in a blender, mashing "puree", and calling what comes out new. It isn't...it's just all the old stuff mixed up together.

HHN 18 had a really good buildup, and a strong icon with an interesting (if kind of muddled...HOW did she get into the mirror again?) backstory. Hence, it is considered one of the best events in recent memory. THAT'S what we need here...something we haven't seen before...a character we don't already know. How is it even possible to be frightened by Jack or the Director when we already know pretty much everything about them, from their preferred methods of killing to their favorite Baskin Robbins flavor? They're too familiar, and in the case of Jack, almost comfortable. Screw all this reunion crap...give me something NEW.

I realize, of course, that economics is the main driving force behind the re-use of icons. Just in case you thought I didn't. I'm just...speculating...

I find it amusing how anyone can look at the ideas being batted around for HHN 20 and consider any of them "new". Unless you consider taking all of your old ideas, putting them in a blender, mashing "puree", and calling what comes out new. It isn't...it's just all the old stuff mixed up together.

HHN 18 had a really good buildup, and a strong icon with an interesting (if kind of muddled...HOW did she get into the mirror again?) backstory. Hence, it is considered one of the best events in recent memory. THAT'S what we need here...something we haven't seen before...a character we don't already know. How is it even possible to be frightened by Jack or the Director when we already know pretty much everything about them, from their preferred methods of killing to their favorite Baskin Robbins flavor? They're too familiar, and in the case of Jack, almost comfortable. Screw all this reunion crap...give me something NEW.

I realize, of course, that economics is the main driving force behind the re-use of icons. Just in case you thought I didn't. I'm just...speculating...

It's HHN's 20th anniversary, so of course it's going to be a reunion- esque year.

In the past few days we have seen many people posting here asking questions that have already been answered earlier in the same thread, sometimes only a few posts back, sometimes on the same darn page they posted on!

We have seen some post speculations that have already been long refuted based on what little real information we have received.

We have seen members with a long history of giving good information challenged by those who have never posted before.

We have seen many of the long established protocols of decorum that we have all come to respect and enjoy here be disregarded.

If I had blindly read this thread the past few days without knowing were I was, I would have sworn I was reading a different speculation thread on a different forum.

And so I humbly ask my fellow dreamers here to please remember where you are, and how it is different from some other place you may have enjoyed in the past. Even if it is no longer available to you, this is not that place. Please don't make Bryan wear out his Ignore button.

Please take a little time at least, to familiarize yourself with what has already been posted. You do not have to go back and read every post. But based on what I have read recently, there are those who post without reading anybody else's posts at all. Of course, those people will probably not read this post either. sigh.

But unless you do this you run the risk of making yourself look rather silly.

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

Easy there, Grumpy!! You just need to go with the right people; screamers. You need someone with a shriek that would break glass in your group. It's even better if it's a guy. It makes even the most hackneyed storyline and hoakey effects worthwhile just to see the screamer dance, duck, run, even collapse! I highly recommend the use of screamers in all groups. I wonder if I should start a business renting screamers out during the event....

Hmmmm...

Mae

I'm sorry, what did you say?

:P

Heh...

26 nights this year? Man, that's a lot. They could switch the 'exterior' theme around a couple of times. Not the houses or the overall theme, but, like the movie "Clue", have a selection of styles and circulate them randomly. I'll have to dwell on that a little more before I can voice my idea.

Mae

Men should be like Kleenex; soft, strong, and disposable.

In the past few days we have seen many people posting here asking questions that have already been answered earlier in the same thread, sometimes only a few posts back, sometimes on the same darn page they posted on!

We have seen some post speculations that have already been long refuted based on what little real information we have received.

We have seen members with a long history of giving good information challenged by those who have never posted before.

We have seen many of the long established protocols of decorum that we have all come to respect and enjoy here be disregarded.

If I had blindly read this thread the past few days without knowing were I was, I would have sworn I was reading a different speculation thread on a different forum.

And so I humbly ask my fellow dreamers here to please remember where you are, and how it is different from some other place you may have enjoyed in the past. Even if it no longer available to you, this is not that place. Please don't make Bryan wear out his Ignore button.

Please take a little time at least, to familiarize yourself with what has already been posted. You do not have to go back and read every post. But based on what I have read recently, there are those who post without reading anybody elses' posts at all. Of course, those people will probably not read this post either. sigh.

I understand your viewpoint, but as a newbie - how am I supposed to know who has a long history of giving good information? I can gather some of that information just by reading back through this thread. But is there some post with bios somewhere of who I should pay attention to because their information has been validated in the past?

Otherwise I completely agree with your perspective. Just want you to see through the eyes of a newbie as well!

And so I humbly ask my fellow dreamers here to please remember where you are, and how it is different from some other place you may have enjoyed in the past. Even if it no longer available to you, this is not that place. Please don't make Bryan wear out his Ignore button.

Please take a little time at least, to familiarize yourself with what has already been posted. You do not have to go back and read every post. But based on what I have read recently, there are those who post without reading anybody elses' posts at all. Of course, those people will probably not read this post either. sigh.

Thanks for this post Jimmy. I agree. We welcome all the new members with open arms here, but everyone please take the time to catch up on the speculation. I know 50+ pages can be time consuming to read up on, if that's the case please use the search function.

I know everyone is getting excited now that the teaser page has gone up and HHN is only 100 nights away now. Take the time to listen to the people that been around for years for hints and clues. Sure we all may not be right, and we might not be wrong either.

Most important though, enjoy.. and back to speculation.

What I think would be cool is, what if, instead of an immersed facade of the event, there was a house you have to walk through as soon as you walk in. I know that's too much work, but i think that would be cool, to get right into the feel of HHN. Like an opening house with all the icons "waiting for you."

I understand your viewpoint, but as a newbie - how am I supposed to know who has a long history of giving good information? I can gather some of that information just by reading back through this thread. But is there some post with bios somewhere of who I should pay attention to because their information has been validated in the past?

Otherwise I completely agree with your perspective. Just want you to see through the eyes of a newbie as well!

You raise a very valid point. I had primarily intended my previous post for those who may be new here, but are not new at all to posting in HHN fan forums, especially those who had previously posted in one particular, possibly defunct forum. Those new daydreamers would actually be familiar with certain individuals who have had a proven track record.

But entirely new members who never registered on any previous forum would not.

There is a way, not necessarily perfect, of getting a good idea of who these people may be. Look at previous years' speculation threads and read posts that were put up before official information was given out. There you will find certain people who have been on the money again and again.

Also you can search the member lists by join date and see who has been here at HNN longer, then check their personal profile pages to see how well respected they are by their peers. This should give you some indication at least of those who have had a certain amount of experience here and are held in esteem by their fellow members.

And as Mark expressed, the most important aspect of HHN and HNN is to have a good time. Have fun!

Thank you Dr jimmy, I will inform you thru PM on why my Iggy button is in use.

The strange thing about this year is I have not heard a peep from any of my usual, very reliable, sources. It is no fun not being able to be very cryptic in what I say to make your minds work. As I posted a few pages back, that is the only info, or should I say vague info, I have received. Is it that Uni is being very tight lipped? I do not think so, I believe that Potter has consumed them, I went thru Hogsmeade and Hogwart and I can say I totally understand the lack of HHN information to this point. Next week will be a different story adn feel we will have a huge rush released upon us.

Till then, do not hold your breath, You might die!

I didn't want to address this here in speculation, but since it came up then I feel it is needed.

I will no longer post in speculation. The reason is because year after year it is my annual tradition to read ALL the thoughts my fellow horror fans have to post. The key to being a great person is being a good listener. I don't care about being right or proving to anyone here of things that I may or may not know.

My fellow haunters have really grand ideas and it's places like this that allow us to be who we are, without ridicule. So with that said I will just read on and never address anything on here no matter how outlandish it may be. I am passionate about this site because lets call a spade a spade, it never was, and never will be THE VAULT!

The reason I am here is to avoid all the negative people, comments, and drama, that ensued there. My good friends M_Z, Jacklover, and others have provided me with a home here. So when I see or hear of people acting and knowing that they are acting like and to use your own words from a thread in The Vault " I KNOW I AM A DICK, BUT I DON"T CARE " and I won't even call out your name like you do mine in the park. But really that is what destroys the very beauty that is a HORROR FAN.

I am not posting this to cause trouble but I am addressing an issue that has been on my mind for a very long time. So with that said.

I want to offer my deepest apology to all the members both new and old that are targets of this behavior. I am sorry I let people get under my skin so easily. I am helping my friends build something that we can all love and appreciate. Not just the site but a place where DRAMA won't come to us. So I encourage you all to do as Dr. Jimmy and others here have suggested. Read everything, think before you post, and treat everyone as you would want to be treated.

And without using much foul language:

You don't shit where you eat!

NOTE TO MODS: Delete this if you feel it is needed. You all know me well, I never take offense to what you all have to do. :)

Edited by Sinister

lol so I killed this thread single handed?

Look I just want EVERYONE to understand where I am coming from, NO ONE is better than anyone else! New users should NEVER feel like they are going to get flamed. I have been insulted on MANY occasions and I took it with a grain of salt and still do. As for vet user you should never feel the same, or flame a new user " NEWBIE "

M_Z has said many times over " We were all new at one point or another ". I posted the quote from a user to level the paying field. So that, that person understands that no matter how much they may or may not know. There is someone that knows even more.

Sure we want info, sure we all have opinions as to what is honorable. And yes we all love the creative team, some know them better than others. But that is besides the point.

Fact of the matter is that this place is SPECIAL for horror fans not heroes and villains. Many want this place to be fun, myself included. After all how many forums do you know have members of A&D in them? Hmm? It doesn't take much to figure out that if you look at my friends list you will find JMR. Even if he doesn't work for Uni anymore he is a HORROR fan like us.

So respect each other, value what we got and let that other site be a reminder of what this place can be if we don't watch our selves.

Now speculation:

We all know that this is a reunion and when I think of this, it makes me wonder hmmm well lets bring the Icons back its a dead give away. And as some have mentioned here before wouldn't it be great to see Icon's that never made it. Like Cindy.

Your thoughts?

I certainly hope to see said icons (Cindy and whoever else we care to throw into the pot) represented in some form, and I believe Cindy's presence in the SZ last year certainly hinted at that. I'd also like to see some of the non-icon "symbols" (a la Darkness, Terra Queen, etc.) make an appearance.

The Terra Queen was supposed to be the icon for XV, but we all know how that went down.

There are also minor icons/characters in different houses/zones/shows from over the years, such as Samhain from RoF's Hallow, Meety Meetz from last year's Leave It To Cleaver, Nightmare from Islands of Fear's Lost Continent zone (I forget the name of it), Darkness from Sweet 16's Arrival show, Chance from CoC, etc.....

The Terra Queen was supposed to be the icon for XV, but we all know how that went down.

There are also minor icons/characters in different houses/zones/shows from over the years, such as Samhain from RoF's Hallow, Meety Meetz from last year's Leave It To Cleaver, Nightmare from Islands of Fear's Lost Continent zone (I forget the name of it), Darkness from Sweet 16's Arrival show, Chance from CoC, etc.....

That's very interesting...

Those characters are "shadows" of past characters in a way, kind of.

To clarify:

Sorry to be negative there. I know I sounded kind of crabby, but it does come from a constructive place. Sure we all have our fave icons (Mine is the Terra Queen, who never got her due), but I stand by my assertion that the reshuffling of old ideas for no reason other than fan service is pointless, especially when there are enough new and wonderful ideas floating around on these boards alone to fill the next 10 haunt seasons. I love HHN and want it to flourish and change and grow, not cannibalize itself and become creatively stagnant.

Having said that, if we MUST have another reunion year, then I say bring them ALL out...and not just the big guns, either. Give me Sindy, Eddie, Terra Queen, Nightmare, Eelmouth, heck, even that bald guy in the straitjacket from HHN 14...and while we're at it, why not the Cryptkeeper? Make it a FULL-ON celebration of HHN past and present. THEN it will be truly worthy. Anything else just seems like a marketing strategy. Or am I being too cynical?

Some speculation:

I really REALLY like the idea of the Tree of Darkness being a gateway through which the (now dead?) icons are summoned. I like the idea of Darkness being this years over-arching icon. He can introduce the other icons as necessary and also deliver punishments befitting their crimes if he so chooses. I think we're onto something with this. It makes real, logical sense. After all, Darkness IS the Lord of Hell, and where would all of these icons be headed when their respective gigs were up? Not the Pearly Gates, I'll reckon. He sent them down, he can bring them back up. I've heard TONS of speculation about HHN themes over the years...and sometimes you run across a theory that, although you have almost no evidence to back it up just FEELS true. You've seen HHN...you know how they do...and THIS seems like something they would do. Even the tree seems right...and since we never did see that mystical tree at HHN 15, I feel I'm owed a big scary tree. Look for this...or some variation on this...to be your main theme at HHN 20. Unless, of course, it isn't.

In other news, I'm afraid Erik is correct, Midnight Syndicate probably WON'T be playing at HHN this year, although they do have a few surprises in store. According to the band themselves, they've been so busy with the movie and new music projects that they haven't had any timne to think out a live show. How would they play? As a two or three piece band, just standing there hacking away at computers to create the soundscapes? Or full-on, with orchestral backup and a choir...and maybe one of those big-ass pipe organs? They could actually go either way and make it work, but there would also have to be a strong visual component(especially if they chose the former approach) to consider. It would have to be a SHOW, you know? These guys are the Mannheim Steamroller of Halloween, they can't just step on stage and start banging out a Stooges or Ramones cover. (But wouldn't it be funny as all hell if they DID?) There would have to be video, and lighting effects, and fog, and lasers, and midgets in dresses, and dancing horses, and Lord knows what-all. It would quite a production, to be sure, but not one they have time for this year, I fear. But they DO want to play at HHN. "Eventually." says Ed. That's a direct quote. I'm disappointed too, but there it is.

Odds and ends:

Lazaro is quite right about the not shitting where you eat thing. We're all nerds here, you know. So behave, you noobish noobs, or you'll answer to ME. And I won't be polite about it like Dr. Jimmy or Lazaro either. No I will instead flame you with giant flaming balls of flame-y flame. Then forever after your peers will disrespect you, pelting you with rocks and garbage wherever you go. So, yeah, that will happen, feel THAT fear, bucko!

You keep right on rambling, Ringmaster. I'd totally forgotten about Chance.

...and Mae, I always did have you pegged as a screamer.

GOODNIGHT, CLEVELAND!