Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood 2015 Event Discussion

Alright, so I just found out the finalized plan for early entry in our daily bulletin board here at work. Not sure if anyone else has found out about the information and shared it on here, but just in case anyone is going today - here you go! 

Early entry time : 5:00-6:30pm 

New: All early entry guests will be given a wristband upon entry which will be used to identify them as early entry guests. **No additional charge for early entry. 

Wristband Benefits: Access to enjoy lower lot attractions, The Simpsons Ride, Despicable Me, and select mazes prior to event opening time. 

Guests are encouraged to attend 6:15pm Jabbawockeez show, who will also be given a 1 time use Front of the Line pass for a maze of their choice. **FOL Incentive pass will be given on first come, first serve basis. 

So there you have it guys! A new system for early entry that I think is actually implemented well. I'd still recommend skipping the first showing of Jabbawockeez, even with the FOL incentive pass. Get there at 5:00pm if possible, enjoy some of the rides ahead of time, and then head to the lower lot at 6:15 to be the first to hit Insidious, TWD, and This is the End. Then head to the backlot, knock those two mazes out, and head upstairs while the rest of the general public is barely coming down the stairway. I hope this helps out! =] Have fun! 

Edited by Arsik_22

A few final thoughts before heading out tonight....

The Walking Dead - either blow me away or don't come back. It's our fourth iteration, I've been through each one, and haven't had a good experience since the first one back in 2012. Let's hope this one can break the cycle.

Insidious - I'm sure will scare the hell outta me like the first maze. Can't wait to see what's changed. See you in the further.

Purge - if it's even slightly better than TWD I'll be happy. If there's at least a little energy, I'll be happy. If there isn't..... The TT is probably doomed.

AVP - only went through once opening night last year. Didn't have a great run through, hoping I can this year.

Crimson Peak - what can I say? Beware of Crimson Peak....

Halloween - I'm hoping this will be good, but I'll wait Til I see it myself. I'm sure it will be scary good fun, but it'll no doubt make me a little nostalgic about my first trip to Horror Nights.

JABBAWHATEVER - won't see em unless my feet get tired....

TITE - Just one thing to say, I'll be easy on this maze, and really hope I enjoy it. Hopefully, with that in consideration, it still won't have me saying "I HATE YO HOUSE FRANCO"

• Like 1

A few final thoughts before heading out tonight....

The Walking Dead - either blow me away or don't come back. It's our fourth iteration, I've been through each one, and haven't had a good experience since the first one back in 2012. Let's hope this one can break the cycle.

Maybe this is a bad time to tell the you that the team that creates the masks decided to make more expensive ones and stated, "These ones can be reused for future years because of their design" as he shows us a zombie masks...

This year kinda seems like a 10 year anniversary to me. Watching that clip, it just seemed like a mash up of everything HHN has been doing for the last 10 years. TT looks the same, Insidious looks more or less the same, Halloween looks the same but honestly doesn't look AS good as 09's, TITE looks like all the dumb 3D mazes we've had, and AVP/TWD looks exactly like more of the same. Only thing standing out is Crimson but even that seems a bit underwheleming for some reason. Either way, can't wait to go until tomorrow.

• Like 2

So sad to see what could've been an amazing Scream maze. The first few scenes are very evident what they're supposed to be, but about half way through, I lose track of what scene it's supposed represent. It's also clear that this was based on the film and not the TV show. *major sigh* 

However, on the upside, this does look like an awesome Purge maze! Hopefully we get something similar next year... or better yet a Scream maze, and hopefully Uni's resolves their issues so it can happen, in honor of Wes Craven.

• Like 2

ok this is going to be a rant about what i experienced this past weekend.

During my last maze repeats of the night i decied to go thru insidious one more time at 11pm me and a buddy went thru FOL we were the only ones in the maze for a while which was awesome we ended up approaching a dead stop inside the maze which i was like "WTF?" then out of nowhere i see flashing F**CKING lights behind me i was like who they hell is flashing lights inside turn around its some asshole with some lightgloves that UNIVERSAL SELLS in the little stands the asshole had them flashing the entire time in the maze BEHIND ME and my buddy he kept reaching in front of me to grab the curtains and putting the lights in my face the maze attendants did NOTHING about it it made me really angry and ruined my experience in the maze i didnt want to start a arguement or a fight over the lights but i tried so hard to ignore it but i just home angry after that 

Since I'm not attending the event, I watched themeparkhd's videos to get a initial look at the mazes. (Naturally it's nothing like experiencing them in person but it's better then not seeing it at all.) So my initial impressions, going in reverse order of what was my most anticipated.

Halloween - This was at the very bottom of my anticipation list due to a variety of things (Location, 2009's maze was godly etc.), though I will say this looks a lot better then what I was anticipating so that's great. The finale looks pretty intense and I appreciate some of the scares coming from unexpected places. Is it going to touch 2009's maze? Nope...but then again 2009's is hands down one of Hollywood's greatest of all time, so that's a really tough bar to reach.

AVP - I'll admit when it comes to this maze I never thought it was as great as people were praising it as. Yes, it's a wonderfully detailed maze and yes the Alien Queen is bad-ass...however there are gripes and nitpicks which bug me. An' example being the Alien Puppets underwhelm me in terms of movement, I want Aliens which lunge their heads forward like what Orlando's did, not try to reach out for a hug. As for footage from this year, it's probably opening weekend jitters/getting things in order but the scares seemed very restrained or downright non-existant. (Also, I totally see what they did there with putting barrels at the door for the full-sized Alien costume. Might make it easier for the poor scaractor that wears that suit but on the flipslide it does make that scare weaker.)

This is the End - Hoo boy, earlier I said this was the wild card of the lineup. It could be decent, it could be terrible, we all had to wait and see. To be brutally honest I wouldn't disagree if anyone feels it's the worst 3D maze Hollywood has done. I really feel for the scaractors in this maze since they got bupkiss to work with. I see some scare potential for one of the demons in the house and those in the finale, but that's it. (Even with that said, it seemed like the finale was too brightly lit for the scare they were going with.) As for humor, just like most of the scare potential it's lacking. An' that's a huge dilemma...it's a horror comedy house that's lacking in both the scares AND the comedy.

TWD - It's the IP that just wont die, and as for this mega TWD maze it's middle of the road for me. It's not amazing, but then again it's not terrible. It's decent looking.

Crimson Peak - This was tied for my most anticipated maze, and at the moment it's one of those "The jury's still out on this" kind of things. On one hand the set's are goregous, though on the other hand it has a good amount of blank/black walls. (Oh god, Hollywood AWIL flashbacks.) It seemed to be somewhat light on scares, but then again I can see this is more like a Hammer Horror/Victorian Gothic kind of horror film which isn't fast paced scares a minute. So while there are gripes, overall I did like what I saw.

Insidious - This was the other most anticipated maze and from the videos it looks downright fantastic, like with Halloween I definitely appreciate the scares coming from different places and not being easily telegraphed. This is definitely a contender for not only maze of the year, but one of Hollywood's overall best. 2013's maze looked really solid, but this year's maze elevates it to a whole nother' level.

AVP - (Also, I totally see what they did there with putting barrels at the door for the full-sized Alien costume. Might make it easier for the poor scaractor that wears that suit but on the flipslide it does make that scare weaker.)

This is the End - ...it's a horror comedy house that's lacking in both the scares AND the comedy.

Crimson Peak - This was tied for my most anticipated maze, and at the moment it's one of those "The jury's still out on this" kind of things. 

Insidious -  2013's maze looked really solid, but this year's maze elevates it to a whole nother' level.

AVP - I didn't notice the barrels, but the scare at the end was really soft, so yeah, maybe that's why.
TITE - Yeah, that's the sad thing about it, is it fails on both fronts. I laughed once at the Exorcism part because the guy did the same exact movements that Jonah did in that scene.

CP - This really has potential to be amazing by the end of the run if the CAST kicks it into high gear and if Murdy throws in more scares (I almost wanna say it needs double more). I think I know what they're trying to do with the setting and such, but it's just not working. I haven't heard anyone say this is their favorite maze this year on any of the forums so far. So right now, I say ditch trying to be a copy of the movie, and just work on simply being a good maze.
Insidious - Yup, I'm really excited that this was a great maze two years ago, came back, and made an even bigger impression.