Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood 2015 Event Discussion

IF anybody is going the EPN or Opening Night and want to post anything to Twitter, Instagram or live feed or whatever let me know and I'll start up the thread tomorrow morning.

I am going tonight for EP night! My Instagram is moonbunny514. It's locked though, oops. Feel free to friend me though.

I am going tonight for EP night! My Instagram is moonbunny514. It's locked though, oops. Feel free to friend me though.

Okay, a rephrasing. lol Please give me a heads-up if you're going to add me. I will post everything I post on there besides video over here when I get home on.... Thursday probably. I have work Wednesday morning at 6:30, so I'm just staying over at the park after EPN for the few hours between closing and my shift start. Then I'll just pass out when I get home that afternoon.

I used to have Snapchat but I don't anymore. Is it worth it for the updates? 

Also on the Los Angeles Snapchat, There are 17 seconds of footage from HHN (Contains The Main Entrance, Entrance Scare Zone and 2 Clips of the Jabbawockeez Show, (Which I think is going to be a pretty cool show since i like the Jabbawockeez.) )

• Like 1

So I most likely won't be able to post my Preview Night review for a few days, but I'll give a brief summation of my thoughts. 

I know this is a dress rehearsal and things will improve, but this honestly may be the weakest year I've attended in the past 9 years. Insidious was practically perfect. The cast was on fire! Halloween was a close second. Everything else was underwhelming. 

TWD has potential to be pretty good as soon as the cast gets the hang of their surroundings. Their energy was still very good and they got me a few times. For it being the "longest maze", there were a lot of blank hallways to fill the space. Lots of static zombies throughout. Very poor translation of some of the show's scenes that happened in season 5. 

Crimson Peak looked beautiful. Ghost costumes looked cheap though. Similar to La Llorona (1st year) - creepy sets, lacking scares. 

AVP - Same as last year. Some predators were missing, but I'm sure they'll be there on opening night. Cast wasn't very good but theyll improve. 

This is the End - WOW, this was really, really, really bad. Without a doubt the worst maze in HHN history, and worse than most KSF mazes to be honest. Ineffective 3D (one lighting effect was cool though), demon puppets looked cartoony, and the facade was hideous (incomplete but still looks very basic). 

Terror Tram- Same shit, different theme. Purge couldn't save the tram. YAWN. 

Scarezones during preview night are never as good because of the smaller crowds but I really enjoyed Exterminatorz and Dark Christmas  Purge and Corpz were boring. 

If you guys wanna see a few pics I took, my Instagram name is Arsik_22 

Edited by Arsik_22

So I most likely won't be able to post my Preview Night review for a few days, but I'll give a brief summation of my thoughts. 

I know this is a dress rehearsal and things will improve, but this honestly may be the weakest year I've attended in the past 9 years. Insidious was practically perfect. The cast was on fire! Halloween was a close second. Everything else was underwhelming. 

I had a feeling it sounded underwhelming. The line up sounded Someone gave some real thought into Insidious, TWD, Crimson Peak... then let a 12 year old finish the line up. 

To be honest just from the few post I've seen trickling in this is the least HHN feeling HHN and seems like creative or Murdy himself (most likely) is kinda disconnected and spread thin I mean look at twitter how he handled trolls and such. Maybe Freak is right and maybe he should retire or at least take a break from HHN for a while. I mean think about it yeah he has Chris Williams but for the most part look at Orlando's HHN media presentation Mike's the head honcho and put together the whole  Jack is Back theme but they had another guy who was in charge of the mazes, and a woman in charge of Scare zones, hell even Knott's for year broke up maze duties between at least a handful of people. As someone who has been going since 2006 I can say when it down to four mazes (well 3 since you know HOH) the attention to detail was amazing and unlike some of us have seen who grew up with only Knott's Scary Farm and Fright Fest to compare to as time went on and size grew you see the level of Murdy being spread thin first black walls popped up here and there the next year a few houses are late on construction, then the next year is filled with static figures and judging by Arsik's trip it seems a lot is behind this year. You do need though to take in factors that the park has been changing a lot in the last 5 years but I feel if the duties were shared like in Orlando these problems would be a less of a burden on John.

Hopefully the event picks up this is not even the first night and I'm still excited to go. 

Edited by Grindhousehero13
  • Like 2

The problem is every year we get an insanely stupid maze that has no business being at the event. Murdy says HHN is about taking risks (which is funny because they use the same damn scare tactics every year) but the mazes he takes risks for are liked by a very small minority. Black Sabbath, Clowns, AC Goes to Hell and one or two others -- honestly, I would've rather had them off the line-up and had the budget spruced up into the other mazes so they felt more complete. For example, we didn't need HOTC back for 2011, we needed less blank walls in The Thing. We didn't need Black Sabbath, we needed less dummies in Evil Dead because that should have been maze of the year, but instead it was done a few notches below because of piss-poor execution. Nobody is scared of static mannequins! Nobody! I don't care what lighting or audio trigger you have directed toward them, they are not convincing in any shape or manner!

• Like 2

I'm glad you guys have finally realized what I have been saying lately. Knott's has gotten to the point to where they are getting up there with HHN with the amount of detail. IMO Voodoo is an Orlando-quality house. Itwsfrustrating allowing so many unthemed walls with such high prices. Plus, VIP getting cut, Jabawockeez....ugh. 

Man, this year doesn't sound good at all. I'm going to be going next Friday with some low expectations. 

• Like 2