HHN 25 Discussion

Maybe they're now like, "hmmm, we have a little ad budget left, let's go crazy.  You, intern, go nuts."

It's just making them look bad. Who will enjoy Jack now after this? Not me. I never did for that matter.

Good point, but still most people will come more because of a "TWD/BIG NAME IP" than an amazing original.

I've not seen a single piece of evidence for this. Attendance has risen every year except during (I believe) 2001 and the recession in 08/09. TWD may pull lines but it's not ranked well as HOTY. So why do people think this?

Well I'm excited for most of the houses actually. I am very excited for Insidious, Purge and FvJ because I love their movies. I am unbelievably crazy excited for Alice, because I just love anything Alice In Wonderland. Big personal bias why I'm so excited about that one. Very excited for "Blizzard" because I love those characters. Very excited to see the all the old stuff in Anniversary. I'm excited for Run just because it's original, and possibly have Eddie, it sounds good to me. Only houses I'm not excited for are TWD and AWIL. I'm not going to go one by one with the scarezones, but all 5 of them sound great to me. So I'm very excited for the houses and scarezones. Only disappointment to me really is the terrible marketing. I am glad that TWD isn't the sole focus of marketing this year so far. Hope it's not for the commercial either. But the marketing doesn't mean anything for the event itself. The event itself sounds great to me. 

• Like 4

I agree, hence why they don't need to bring IPs back as much. They can have more creativity (which put them on the map), please every fan, and bring in more merchandise sales.

There's no way to please every fan.  I've gone to HHN for 10+ years and I've followed along on HHN message boards for years.  People always complain.  The reason we all continue to go is because we love it.  Ultimately it's the event that keeps drawing us back.  But don't fool yourself.  The real money is in IPs which always have and always will have a bigger impact on sales.  We are the minority.  

When The Walking Dead was announced, all of my friends that are fringe fans got excited about it.  That's what Universal is going for.  It's the swing vote that really matters.  We're the extremists.  We'll go regardless (by and large).  It's capturing as much of the non-extremists as possible that brings in the real money.  

• Like 2

It's just making them look bad. Who will enjoy Jack now after this? Not me. I never did for that matter.

I've not seen a single piece of evidence for this. Attendance has risen every year except during (I believe) 2001 and the recession in 08/09. TWD may pull lines but it's not ranked well as HOTY. So why do people think this?

A lot of people I know go for the IPs but still end up enjoying the originals more; it's just big names draw them in, originals keep them coming.

• Like 2

I actually love the crazy interaction. The use of peon, vassal, fool seems completely in character to me. I use those terms myself. I also like using the word plebs. Short for plebeian. It's a common trait portrayed in horror for "maniacs" to view others as lesser. And this is a "cult" type of situation. 

And at least it's something. I've given up hope for truly in depth back stories. I'll take what I can get.

(And the Morphan in me loves the unpredictable nature of it all)  

• Like 6

I actually love the crazy interaction. The use of peon, vassal, fool seems completely in character to me. I use those terms myself. I also like using the word plebs. Short for plebeian. It's a common trait portrayed in horror for "maniacs" to view others as lesser. And this is a "cult" type of situation. 

And at least it's something. I've given up hope for truly in depth back stories. I'll take what I can get.

(And the Morphan in me loves the unpredictable nature of it all)  

I have to agree with Mystique.  I have actually found myself literally LOL at some of these Twitter responses today.  Maybe I am not as cynical as some of you, and I am actually grateful for that.  Take the stick out of your arses and have a little fun.  It amuses me that you can send a tweet that is barely creative and slightly baiting, and you will most likely get a sarcastic response rather quickly.  Would I prefer some awesome website and backstory?  Hell yes.  But at least this is better than recycled tweets about the goddam Walking Dead or Insidious for the millionth time.  

• Like 6

That last tweet of the Pumpkin person...

It was vaguely familiar and I thought that was due to previous pumpkinheads. But it wasn't!!

The vines plus the pumpkinhead reminds of the icon story Mike shared at Halloween Extreme, Crowe. 

I truly hope they were able to rework that icon and finally use the image they had in some way.

• Like 6

That last tweet of the Pumpkin person...

It was vaguely familiar and I thought that was due to previous pumpkinheads. But it wasn't!!

The vines plus the pumpkinhead reminds of the icon story Mike shared at Halloween Extreme, Crowe. 

I truly hope they were able to rework that icon and finally use the image they had in some way.

I legit thought I was the only one who thought about that. I hope for that as well.

About that containment image....RUN?

• Like 1

I would argue they're actually realizing their faults. A few years ago they had no scare zones (that was a bomb), they brought it back. No icons? People wanted them back, so they are. TWD too much? It's not the main thing they announce. etc.

You may well be right.  What I would be interested in is knowing what the Universal brass actually thought of the events the past few years.  Would they consider them successes or failures?  I'd actually be interested in hearing what people here say as well.  I couldn't name a single year that I would label a failure by my definition.  Never did I leave the place thinking "Well that was a total dud!".  I've had years that I enjoyed more than others, and I've had houses/scarezones that I enjoyed more than others.  But never would I consider the year to be an all out failure.

• Like 5

1. @HorrorNightsORL TELL US MORE.

0 retweets1 favorite
    Retweet

Favorite

More

@AveriiSlytherin dO nOt tElL uS wHaT tO dO, fOoL.

11:29 AM - 25 Aug 2015 · Details
    Hide conversation
    Retweet

Favorited

More

I'm loving the conversation between Hard Rock and JacksManiacs though.

Second time, <3

@AveriiSlytherin kNow yOur pLaCe, fOol. dO nOt cOrRecT uS.

New post: 

LooK wHAT oNe of #JaCKsMaNiaCs dug UP... kNow ouR SeCrEts: http://bit.ly/SCAINAM  #JacksManiacs #HHN25

Embedded image permalink

That costume looks amazing.

• Like 2

I liken HHN to my favorite sports teams.  Each year/season is a new beginning.  Some new players that look promising and some that make me puke and bitch as to the stupidity of signing them.  When the teams are winning, it's awesome.  When they're not, I bitch about how bad they suck and that a monkey could play better.  But at the end of the day, I'll still support and watch them every year and have lots of good times doing so.  And that's my Metaphor for HHN.  I'll likely never be fully satisfied with what they put out there and will always expect higher standards, but I'm attending regardless and will have fun.

• Like 4

Something just struck me...

What if each of the scarezones are their own "legion" of Jack's maniacs?

For instance, there are the traditionals, the movie monsters, the insane, dark fairy tales, and, at the top of the food chain, the icons. They are all tied to Jack.

Maybe they are using a similar concept to Fear, but instead crowning Jack king of Horror Nights, past, present, and future.

Some may not agree with me, but I think that would be pretty awesome.

Just some mindless speculation on my part.

Edited by YouDontKnowJack
  • Like 4

Something just struck me...

What if each of the scarezones are their own "legion" of Jack's maniacs?

For instance, there are the traditionals, the movie monsters, the insane, dark fairy tales, and, at the top of the food chain, the icons. They are all tied to Jack.

Maybe they are using a similar concept to Fear, but instead crowning Jack king of Horror Nights, past, present, and future.

Some may not agree with me, but I think that would be pretty awesome.

Just some mindless speculation on my part.

I was actually thinking about that when I was reading about fear.I love it 

I

• Like 1

If Gringotts was open that would be a great people eater to alleviate some lines. They can't do anything Halloween Horror Nights based there though correct? Even a little spooky vibe in London would be nice....or dementors. Ahh a girl can dream

Someone posted a while back about their advance purchase tickets and it specifically said Gringotts would not be available.  I thought it odd to list that as Diagon isn't open during the event.

TWD may pull lines but it's not ranked well as HOTY. So why do people think this?

Yes, they totally misplayed this one.  Here was an opportunity to appease the older fan base and the new generation whom have never known an icon at HHN.  But at the rate it's going, that newer generation will be like, these icons are lame, stick to not having them.  That could all change once the event starts.

People do come for TWD, it's just that there are many variables involved in choosing HOTY, as Legacy detailed for us.  I agree it's gone stale.  But as long as they feel it's selling tickets they'll continue to milk it dry.

I'm wondering what we're meant to recognize. But that ?costume? looks badass either way.  

That sort of looks like Crowe.

EDIT: I mean based off of the backstory of him. And Jack did create Crowe so he could be considered one of his maniacs.

Edited by Pandry
  • Like 1