HHN 25 Discussion

Heading up Saturday for my annual pilgrimage to HHN. A few questions though(please don't make me search. Lol) 

1) is there still a holding pen by finnegans?

2) what app are you all using to see wait times? I downloaded the USO app, but only see ride times. 

3) my girlfriend doesn't believe me about the rat lady. Where/when are the best chances of seeing her?

4) are the Harry Potter rides open during the event( taking a potter fan who hasn't seen the area)

i lurk all year- thank you all for keeping me excited, and have a great day!

-c

1. Yes.

2. Not sure about this one. Sorry.

3. I'm not sure of the exact times, but she appears in the Icons zone.

4. The Hogwarts Express (round-trip only) and Escape From Gringotts are both open during the event.

Heading up Saturday for my annual pilgrimage to HHN. A few questions though(please don't make me search. Lol) 

1) is there still a holding pen by finnegans?

2) what app are you all using to see wait times? I downloaded the USO app, but only see ride times. 

3) my girlfriend doesn't believe me about the rat lady. Where/when are the best chances of seeing her?

4) are the Harry Potter rides open during the event( taking a potter fan who hasn't seen the area)

i lurk all year- thank you all for keeping me excited, and have a great day!

-c

1. Yes

2. The official app, just click on HHN 25 and go to scares.

3. Don't know

4. Gringotts is the only ride open, several other shops and restaurants in Diagon are open.

3) my girlfriend doesn't believe me about the rat lady. Where/when are the best chances of seeing her

First set is right around 8pm and it's 30 on and 30 off for them.  They are by the Jack stage area where the backstage parade entrance is.  They're setup so when the Carnage show is going, they're off.

Edited by Pandry

However, my point with AWiL still stands. In 2013 it was that long, slow moving line because it was very popular and scary. I got held up behind people unwilling to move more times in that house than in any other house I've ever beeb in. However, this year it is NOT the case. There's been scares taken away, and it is not being viewed as popular or as well as 2013. When every single house still has a 15-75min line and this is a literal walkon, that tells me this house is not being received as well as they'd like when you compare it to the queues of 2013. 

Yeah, I agree, I totally understand about some houses being faster and less scary so more people go in them... 

But a difference of seeing FvJ or the 25 years house at one hour vs seeing American werewolf at 20 minutes  at the same time.... that's a different thing. Even if the house is just faster. 

You can even see how low the American werewolf line is when you are walking by sometimes. even with being a fast house, there are still not as much people as there used to be when the house first came out. 
I get everything that Legacy wrote, but I also see  what FoREVer is talking about on the difference between the house lines in 2013 and now. 

I personally do wish they repeated houses from 8-12 years ago, repeat all the original houses from the IOA era, I would even wish they would repeat TWO houses next year, if those houses were from before 2005. I wish they repeated Texas Chainsaw Massacre (in another location obviously) or repeated the Icon houses from those years. I dont know if they would be well received but it would be great to see the past come back like that. 

Or at least do another 25 years of Monsters house but with other stuff in it, (again, stuff older than a couple of years) if that became an "every year" kind of thing, I think people would be happy with that, even the general public.

I personally do wish they repeated houses from 8-12 years ago, repeat all the original houses from the IOA era, I would even wish they would repeat TWO houses next year, if those houses were from before 2005.

If they were to repeat an older house each year and give it a modern upgrade/some changes in design I would be very into this idea, long as it begins with genuinely older houses.  But only one.

Or at least do another 25 years of Monsters house but with other stuff in it, (again, stuff older than a couple of years) if that became an "every year" kind of thing, I think people would be happy with that, even the general public.

I don't agree with this. It takes away from the first idea, but more importantly it makes anniversary years less special. Individual scenes were "cool" to see (though I don't think this year's selection was good whatsoever for the most part) but as a frequent attraction it'll take away budget from other original content that should be preferential.

If they were to repeat an older house each year and give it a modern upgrade/some changes in design I would be very into this idea, long as it begins with genuinely older houses.  But only one.

I don't agree with this. It takes away from the first idea, but more importantly it makes anniversary years less special. Individual scenes were "cool" to see (though I don't think this year's selection was good whatsoever for the most part) but as a frequent attraction it'll take away budget from other original content that should be preferential.

if they couldnt repeat more older houses i do wish they did another best of

but my first hope is that they repeat full older houses, I'm just saying i would hope they at least did another best of. either way it would be nice to see older stuff that A lot of new fans have never seen. 

• Like 1

Good evening spent at HHN tonight. Manageable crowds.  Arrived a little before 7pm and walked on BC. M&M was at 40, FVJ 45 and 15 for AWIL. Longest wait I saw was 75 for Insidious which seemed to be from a recent B&T show ending.  Run never more than 15. Asylum was mostly walk on.  And I had a pretty good run through of it. Best to date. Seems like they added some tubes to a section to squeeze by. And they were trying to pulse the lines as well. 

But it was one of those nights where timing wasn't our friend. Be it cast changes, missing scares and some houses just feeling empty - knowing where a scare should be and nobody home..  And it wasn't due to cast changes.

Tomorrow should be hellish with 4 area counties off from school on Friday.

• Like 3

Good evening spent at HHN tonight. Manageable crowds.  Arrived a little before 7pm and walked on BC. M&M was at 40, FVJ 45 and 15 for AWIL. Longest wait I saw was 75 for Insidious which seemed to be from a recent B&T show ending.  Run never more than 15. Asylum was mostly walk on.  And I had a pretty good run through of it. Best to date. Seems like they added some tubes to a section to squeeze by. And they were trying to pulse the lines as well. 

But it was one of those nights where timing wasn't our friend. Be it cast changes, missing scares and some houses just feeling empty - knowing where a scare should be and nobody home..  And it wasn't due to cast changes.

Tomorrow should be hellish with 4 area counties off from school on Friday.

Amazing that on a Wednesday it gets that crowded.

A little off topic but a food junkie wants to know. Has anyone tried the carnival themed food that they have for the event? I've seen people walk by me with potato on a stick and all sorts of fair foods. Are they any good or are they just so-so?

Amazing that on a Wednesday it gets that crowded.

It's crowded for a Wednesday, but for today's standards for crowds it was very empty. FvJ/Insidious hit 75, nothing else got over 45. RUN and AWiL never made it past 30, and after the rush of people at opening, M&M stayed at 35 or less. I took my friend through all 9, including BC, RUN, and Purge a second time, Mummy, both shows, through Diagon, and stopped for food. One of the slowest days I've seen. 

Everyone going tonight trying to get into the park from 6-8 while they're doing the grand opening of the NBC Grill and Brew restaurant: have fun. LOL

• Like 1

I've seen people walk by me with potato on a stick and all sorts of fair foods. Are they any good or are they just so-so?

The taters on a stick are pretty damn good if I do say so myself.  I like salty foods but, damn, make sure you tell them to go light if you don't want to be drinking 2 bottles of water to finish the stick.

• Like 1

The taters on a stick are pretty damn good if I do say so myself.  I like salty foods but, damn, make sure you tell them to go light if you don't want to be drinking 2 bottles of water to finish the stick.

Thanks! Next time I get the chance I'll have to try it out. I'm going to try to aim for the last night of the run since it's the only 1am close left unless they extend it. I don't like staying out all night and the last time I went on a 1AM the park was dead by 12. I expect the last night to be busy but I'm not really worried about house waits at this point. If I see it, I see it; if I don't, I don't. I really hope it's not going to be too bad though. 

I just ordered the "Halloween Horror Nights: The Unofficial Story and Guide 2015" book by Christopher Ripley from amazon. Has anyone else gotten this? I tried searching the forums, but came up empty.

Yep, and it's a pretty good and quick read.

To everyone swearing Crimson Peak was going to be a huge smash and a guarantee for 2016...

I present: http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/10/20/box-office-crimson-peak-is-guillermo-del-toros-mars-attacks/

It's sad :( Poor Del Toro can't catch a break no matter what.. I enjoyed Pacific Rim and I know I'll enjoy Crimson Peak... what is it about his movies that cause such low returns?

• Like 1

It's sad :( Poor Del Toro can't catch a break no matter what.. I enjoyed Pacific Rim and I know I'll enjoy Crimson Peak... what is it about his movies that cause such low returns?

He's an artist with a style that is too unique to not be viewed as niche, but not quirky enough to really catch the GP's interest. Everything he does is fantastic, but outside of the concepts themselves it's all very safe.

But yeah. Considering I love GdT but have little interest in Peak I knew it would flop.

wont be surprised if they officially cancel pacific rim 2 now (i know it is delayed) and any tiny hope of a hellboy 3... probably completely gone now 

Honestly, even if the movie was successful, I never expected it to come next year. Why would they do it the year AFTER it came out, unless it was a well known movie/character, like FvJ, Halloween, etc. The closest comparison is doing Cabin in the Woods 2 years after it came out, which I thought was odd, but A&D really wanted to do it and it was VERY successful. I just couldn't see a movie like this (which is great, I saw it last week) being a giant hit. However, with a probably unrealistic budget, this could've been the greatest ghost house of all time, with some incredibly impressive effects/setsand intense   scares. 

• Like 2

The movie is successful amongst my co-workers but they are pretty niche; that's what it is... A niche kind of movie. But most agree it's mostly eye candy and the plot lacks and is predictable. I too never expected it to come next year as well. I'm starting to feel like people thinks that Orlando is supposed to get Hollywoods Hand Me Downs. Just because Hollywood does it one year doesn't for sure mean Orlando will do it the following year. 

Movie isn't a headliner. But thinking on it; there isn't much recent good horror releases lately. At least nothing that really packs a punch.