Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

JDW

I have a sneaking suspicion that TWD has been inflating its wait times. Three times I've entered the queue at 60 or 90 minute waits and only waited 35 minutes at the most (including delays). Every time I've walked past the queue since, the time has consistently been anywhere from 60 to 120 minutes but was visibly very short, the same length as when I waited 30 minutes. Entering other house queues confirmed that the line wasn't double-backing in the soundstage section backstage, so no chance that they changed the queue over there to lengthen it out of view.

Either way, the Walking Dead line has always had a massive discrepancy from what it actually claims. I have a suspicion that the wait time is being artificially inflated, either to keep the house from becoming packed or (more cynically) to make it seem more popular than it is. I'd brush it off as lucky mistakes if I hadn't checked literally every day that I've attended the event several times a night and found it to be consistently wrong. It's happened too often to just be a typical error.

the interesting thing I noticed about this was how when the wait time said something like 100 minutes around 7 or something like that,

there was a Uni guy yelling about getting express outside the house. it was funny because I could imagine a group of people freaking out about the wait time and getting express right away. Maybe they are doing that, or maybe they aren't, who knows. But sometimes it does seem weird that it will have such a high time right when they open.... almost like if they wanted people to freak out...and get those pases right away lol

Edited by clash

the interesting thing I noticed about this was how when the wait time said something like 100 minutes around 7 or something like that,

there was a Uni guy yelling about getting express outside the house. it was funny because I could imagine a group of people freaking out about the wait time and getting express right away. Maybe they are doing that, or maybe they aren't, who knows. But sometimes it does seem weird that it will have such a high time right when they open.... almost like if they wanted people to freak out...and get those pases right away lol

RIGHT on point!! An extra 109.00 in universals pocket why not inflate wait times. Absolutely brilliant !!!!

WE GOT OLD QUEUE VIDEOS! Its located in the roanoke exit/dollhouse enterance. It plays castle vampier, hell gate prison, h r blood n gutz, hhn 20 lantern, and a best of hhn houses. So nostalgic!

I'll be honest, I am initially inclined to dismiss the videos as anything more than something to lessen the headache of a long wait, except...

Hellgate is a house that, people who experienced it, have clamor end for a return. Considering it's the only prison house (proper) that HHN has done, and it's over ten years old, it's something that begs to be revisited.

The Vampyr series is a bit classic, and it would fit well for a 25th anniversary as well.

An icon house (the lantern) is nearly a given. Doing a "best of" house as well is a little odd, but with the heavy potential for nine houses, it shouldn't be that surprising.

The kicker for me, though, is the Bloodengutz video. Though fans have wanted his concept to return, finding another kitchy concept that fits his personality and story is difficult. The thing is that I actually messaged Mike last month with a perfect concept that makes sense within the HR story. So the other four videos, combined with this one, definitely has my attention.

I also find it interesting that nearly all of the stors of those videos are no longer with Universal...

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I am initially inclined to dismiss the videos as anything more than something to lessen the headache of a long wait, except...

Hellgate is a house that, people who experienced it, have clamor end for a return. Considering it's the only prison house (proper) that HHN has done, and it's over ten years old, it's something that begs to be revisited.

The Vampyr series is a bit classic, and it would fit well for a 25th anniversary as well.

An icon house (the lantern) is nearly a given. Doing a "best of" house as well is a little odd, but with the heavy potential for nine houses, it shouldn't be that surprising.

The kicker for me, though, is the Bloodengutz video. Though fans have wanted his concept to return, finding another kitchy concept that fits his personality and story is difficult. The thing is that I actually messaged Mike last month with a perfect concept that makes sense within the HR story. So the other four videos, combined with this one, definitely has my attention.

I also find it interesting that nearly all of the stors of those videos are no longer with Universal...

Mike has said that Bloodengutz is his favorite original house that they created, so he'd want to bring it back.

If these were houses they wanted to do, it'd likely end up these 4 and 5 IPs, so no true originals or Nightingales sequel, which is off to me. Maybe they'll have TWD and market it as the last one and have the rest originals/sequels to say goodbye to the IP era and welcome back the original era? Doubtful, but it'd be awesome.

Well wanting to bring it back and creating another house that is true to the concept are completely different things. I agree with Legacy, it will be very hard to make another house that will stay true to the original concept.

My thinking is that they could do a prequel to Holidays of Horror when he does a regular broadcast that is like a mashup of classic horror films. That to me still wouldn't do H.R. BloodNGutz justice. I think this is going to be a house that will always be a one hit wonder as much as I'd love to see it return.

Well wanting to bring it back and creating another house that is true to the concept are completely different things. I agree with Legacy, it will be very hard to make another house that will stay true to the original concept.

My thinking is that they could do a prequel to Holidays of Horror when he does a regular broadcast that is like a mashup of classic horror films. That to me still wouldn't do H.R. BloodNGutz justice. I think this is going to be a house that will always be a one hit wonder as much as I'd love to see it return.

The idea I pitched actually does the idea justice. It's relevant, logically continues the story, darkly hilarious, and legitimately stands as a strong house concept on its own. I'd love to just state it, but I'd rather not jinx it.

EDIT - And I want to add, I hate the Bloodengutz character. Hate him. So, when I say the house concept benefits from using him, I mean it.

Edited by Legacy

And I want to add, I hate the Bloodengutz character. Hate him. So, when I say the house concept benefits from using him, I mean it.

Are you killing him in every room? xD

The whole reason he was doing it and went crazy was because they were taking him off the air. It was his last hoorah if you will.

• Like 1

I'd think it'd be pretty simple to bring him back honestly. A movie marathon of a different theme that allows for comedic undertones. Just picking what theme is the difficult part.

Tempting, but no. He survives my house concept. In fact, he potentially wreaks more havoc in this sequel concept because, remember, he's still alive.

Tempting, but no. He survives my house concept. In fact, he potentially wreaks more havoc in this sequel concept because, remember, he's still alive.

Damn. Now you have my attention. I guess we will either see it in time or will fade from our minds. Which ever happens first.

I doubt we're going to see any of these franchises revisited next year. The new queue videos were obviously thrown together with whatever media they could find to offset guest complaints about lines this weekend. In Halloween they were showing dvd extras from H2O which drowned out the awesome Myers House effects.

I doubt we're going to see any of these franchises revisited next year. The new queue videos were obviously thrown together with whatever media they could find to offset guest complaints about lines this weekend. In Halloween they were showing dvd extras from H2O which drowned out the awesome Myers House effects.

But the question I have is why those queue videos? They have more than those. They have more recent ones than those. Hell, they could have just shown the announcement videos from this year's houses and accomplished the same thing. But they didn't. The pulled out old videos, re-edited them so they were all together, and are playing those. Something like that is deliberate, especially with all the "Original vs IP" complaints they're getting.

That's my theory. I've been attending since 2006, so I understand that it's not uncommon for the signs to have incorrect postings. But they tend to at least be close to accurate the majority of the time. On the other hand, the Walking Dead queue this year has been inaccurate literally every time I've seen or been in it. I would dismiss it as typical mistakes if there wasn't consistency. It dates back all the way to Employee Preview; the line said 75 but it was only half an hour at the end of the night.

Also, think about how it looks to management. Folks like Charles Gray and Aiello don't have the time to stand in every house line and time it themselves to determine how packed a house is, and TWD is the big property that everyone concerned with the bottom line wants to push to squeeze as much money out as possible. Inflating the wait times makes the house look far more popular than it really is (when even on a peak night that's completely at capacity the line at 11:00 PM is barely going above an hour wait) and makes it look like a big seller.

Edited by Cody

That's my theory. I've been attending since 2006, so I understand that it's not uncommon for the signs to have incorrect postings. But they tend to at least be close to accurate the majority of the time. On the other hand, the Walking Dead queue this year has been inaccurate literally every time I've seen or been in it. I would dismiss it as typical mistakes if there wasn't consistency. It dates back all the way to Employee Preview; the line said 75 but it was only half an hour at the end of the night.

Also, think about how it looks to management. Folks like Charles Gray and Aiello don't have the time to stand in every house line and time it themselves to determine how packed a house is, and TWD is the big property that everyone concerned with the bottom line wants to push to squeeze as much money out as possible. Inflating the wait times makes the house look far more popular than it really is (when even on a peak night that's completely at capacity the line at 11:00 PM is barely going above an hour wait) and makes it look like a big seller.

yeah this is all speculation of course but If that was the case, if that was what they were doing, then I wonder if it would backfire on them from the amount of complaints and some of the negative reviews they would get from the line being so long. It would show that Walking Dead is a big seller but it could also be a problem as far as people complaining about it so much

Edited by clash

But the question I have is why those queue videos? They have more than those. They have more recent ones than those. Hell, they could have just shown the announcement videos from this year's houses and accomplished the same thing. But they didn't. The pulled out old videos, re-edited them so they were all together, and are playing those. Something like that is deliberate, especially with all the "Original vs IP" complaints they're getting.

Exactly what I was thinking. Why play Blood N' Gutz, Hell Gate, Vampyre, etc. ? And they had an image of the 20 years of fear lantern. To me it seems like they are hinting towards the 25th next year. Not necessarily bringing those houses back, but that they are addressing the IP vs. Original idea.

Never fails. Happens every year. Haha

Holy shit. Last night I went through AvP behind people with a friend in a wheelchair. Besides taking all the scares for themselves, the tunnel was when all this got interesting. I was thinking the guy pushing the wheelchair would be a good friend and go through the other exit with his "friend". When we get there, the friend pushing the wheelchair leaves him there. He runs through the tunnel and just keep walking with the rest of his friends. They just left him at the tunnel. I look back and I see the marine shrug his shoulders and point the guy in the wheelchair out the other exit. They got all the way out to the Marquee then thought "hey we should call him". I honestly think they were just using him as an express pass. I felt so bad for this guy. WORST FRIENDS EVER!

• Like 1