Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

JDW

that's why I am not so sure why the hordes were so badly received. All you need for those areas like Kid zone or disaster is some actors scaring people. Obviously no props or anything would fit, but i don't see what would the problem be with having some hordes in the back. specially if they did a Simpsons horror based horde.

for all the hate walking dead got last year at least the streets were covered better than now

I have said this many time, they need to do a Treehouse of Horror zone.

• Like 2

So I heard it was pretty busy last night (Thursday), anyone go last nights??? We usually go on a Saturday (every year since hhn12) and this is the first year going on a Thursday next week the 16th. I heard everything we around 90 mins at 11pm last night.

It was quite busy last night, indeed. When Roanoke and DoTD are 70+ minutes at 9pm, something is up...at least for a non-peak night. I had yet to see them more than 20 minutes this season.

I did Thursday, Friday and Sunday this year. ALL were packed. In fact I think Sunday had bigger lines than Friday did. I have the express pass so I didnt wait longer than 20 minutes for anything. But from LOOKING at the lines Sunday looked the worst. I bet Saturday was nuts too...

You guys, I really need your help. this year due to the fact that I'm attending college in Boston i can only go one night and im literally have an anxiety attack every time i think of whether I'll get to see all the houses. for you guys that have been, which houses have the longest waits? is there any order i should go in? also how packed do you believe this sunday will be? i know its a busy weekend.

You guys, I really need your help. this year due to the fact that I'm attending college in Boston i can only go one night and im literally have an anxiety attack every time i think of whether I'll get to see all the houses. for you guys that have been, which houses have the longest waits? is there any order i should go in? also how packed do you believe this sunday will be? i know its a busy weekend.

Halloween, AVP, and TWD all get long waits early so the sooner you can get at least two of them done, the better.

If you are going to be in the park and in a holding area, then go AVP, Dollhouse of the Damned, and then wait for Halloween to open up. After Halloween, Giggles and Gore is your best bet. Dracula can hold a long wait, but I never saw FDTD over 40 minutes. Roanoke is a wild card, but it never seemed to climb higher than an hour. Save TWD for last, not because it is the best but because the lines are stupid all night.

If you are not going to be in the park, be at the gates at least an hour early to make sure you are one of the first ones in. At that point, you can either follow the above pattern or just go straight to Dollhouse and proceed from there.

I would highly suggest buying an express pass if you can only go one night. I didn't get one, and that was a huge mistake.

Setwise TWD is really nice. I enjoyed the lights on walkthrough. The scareactors do their best too. In fact every single house my last night was on point with the scareactors trying.

I call it "The Walking Meh" because I am sick of the show, the merchandise, Romero zombies, and the zombie culture in general.

It's played, it's boring, it's way too trendy, and I personally would like to see it end. I know it's not ending and, based on the lines and various reviews, I doubt it will ever end at this point. They are going to milk that puppy as long as they can.

You can call that being a "hater" if you want (and I'm sure a few will) but I enjoyed the house this year the first time I went through, I used to like the show, and I even bought some of the merchandise in previous years. I'm just over it now and would like it to stop is all. It hit it's peak and the only place to go with it is downhill from here so it should end on a high note... or at the very least push it to a scarezone or a show.

I loved the houses (even my least favorites were good), I was happy to see the scarezones back (even if it rained pretty much the entire time and I didn't get to see them), AVP is my top house ever at this point, and in general had a good time. But something is just missing for me personally. Something I just can't pinpoint. A feeling? An interest? I'm not really sure what. It left me wanting and has left me wanting for three years now. Maybe it's the lack of time I get to go. Maybe I don't like the formula anymore. Maybe I don't like the lack of build up and excitement. Maybe I just need a break from the whole 365 days of being involved in it. IDK but this year is the first time in 24 years of HHN I've really started looking into other haunts and wishing I could have gone to them.

About something that is missing from the event,

well, technically there are more than a few little things missing here and there, nothing major but I think they make a little bit of a difference.

-The gates were not fully decorated this year, We have the banners with the houses but it is not as well done as before. Also we don't have a gate video playing anymore.

-The lagoon could have stuff playing but there is nothing going on, it might not be much to some people but I liked the videos in '12. they were fun to watch.

-the music this year is really not as memorable as before around the park. It feels like Maskerade and Bayou just plays weird noises.

Face off's music is not bad music in itself,but it is not really halloween or horror related music either. The Purge has rock playing which is nice, but again, it doesn't have that HHN feeling to it. None of the zones really do as far as the music goes. Yeah there is music playing in the park, but it doesn't feel like it used to.

-none of the queues have videos. ( Again, it might not mean much to anyone else, but all these little things start to add up) the giggles "video" is kind of weird lol.

-Maybe this is just Nostalgia, but I miss having a house where Jaws was. I Don't even miss Jaws being there, and Diagon looks a lot better, but when there was a house there at least that area was not as empty as it is now. from Disaster to the MIB store it is completely empty now.

-the pumpkins, I don't know why they don't add them every year to the trees.

Im sure there might be a couple more, and Again these are little random things that most people probably don't really care about. they might seem pretty insignificant to most.

But I think they do make a difference. Specially the music which is what sets the tone for the event. i used to love the videos they had at the gates too. I know the only thing people care about are the houses, but I like to think that all those little things they don't do anymore made a difference in the past

I also liked what was said in the Orlando Weekly review for HHN this year. that review also had some valid points about how the event is changing, i think it is worth a read

http://orlandoweekly.com/arts/visual/here-s-your-haunted-house-hit-list-for-halloween-horror-nights-24-1.1763033

• Like 1

I went last night and was shocked by how packed it was for a Thursday. I went on Friday the 3rd, got there around 7:30, and still managed to do all eight houses in one night without having to rush or really work in a hurry. But last night was just horrendous. I just walked around the zones, ate, watched B&T again, and did a few houses because it was crazy.

• Like 1

There is no way in hell I could stand for 120 minutes in a line that is barely moving... no matter how pleasant the conversation with a stranger is. My legs couldn't take it.

If the line was moving at a good pace however, maybe.

I feel bad for you if your legs cant take a little work. I'm in my 30's and my feet do just fine, and that's after a 9 hour work shift. Kids are so brittle these days. :P

• Like 1

thank god I don't have a standing job like that lol. Besides it is not even really worth it to wait 2 hours to do a 10 minute house, but that's just me.

when you talk to people in line, no one ever gets creeped out? or uncomfortable? just wondering about it. have you ever had that problem where people were just being polite when talking to you but you could tell they didn't want to?

thank god I don't have a standing job like that lol. Besides it is not even really worth it to wait 2 hours to do a 10 minute house, but that's just me.

when you talk to people in line, no one ever gets creeped out? or uncomfortable? just wondering about it. have you ever had that problem where people were just being polite when talking to you but you could tell they didn't want to?

We became such good friends with some people in front of us in line that we all hung out for the rest of the night and met up at The Magic Kingdom a few days later to go on some rides and have lunch.

• Like 2

We became such good friends with some people in front of us in line that we all hung out for the rest of the night and met up at The Magic Kingdom a few days later to go on some rides and have lunch.

I never try to talk to people because im worried it would seem rude lol. or intruding

About something that is missing from the event,

well, technically there are more than a few little things missing here and there, nothing major but I think they make a little bit of a difference.

-The gates were not fully decorated this year, We have the banners with the houses but it is not as well done as before. Also we don't have a gate video playing anymore.

-The lagoon could have stuff playing but there is nothing going on, it might not be much to some people but I liked the videos in '12. they were fun to watch.

-the music this year is really not as memorable as before around the park. It feels like Maskerade and Bayou just plays weird noises.

Face off's music is not bad music in itself,but it is not really halloween or horror related music either. The Purge has rock playing which is nice, but again, it doesn't have that HHN feeling to it. None of the zones really do as far as the music goes. Yeah there is music playing in the park, but it doesn't feel like it used to.

-none of the queues have videos. ( Again, it might not mean much to anyone else, but all these little things start to add up) the giggles "video" is kind of weird lol.

-Maybe this is just Nostalgia, but I miss having a house where Jaws was. I Don't even miss Jaws being there, and Diagon looks a lot better, but when there was a house there at least that area was not as empty as it is now. from Disaster to the MIB store it is completely empty now.

-the pumpkins, I don't know why they don't add them every year to the trees.

Im sure there might be a couple more, and Again these are little random things that most people probably don't really care about. they might seem pretty insignificant to most.

But I think they do make a difference. Specially the music which is what sets the tone for the event. i used to love the videos they had at the gates too. I know the only thing people care about are the houses, but I like to think that all those little things they don't do anymore made a difference in the past

I also liked what was said in the Orlando Weekly review for HHN this year. that review also had some valid points about how the event is changing, i think it is worth a read

http://orlandoweekly.com/arts/visual/here-s-your-haunted-house-hit-list-for-halloween-horror-nights-24-1.1763033

I agree with EVERYTHING you wrote. My review (posted) has additional comments on this. But what's interesting is that we're starting to see older fans of the event genuinely speak up and worry about its direction, and more importantly acknowledge that HOS, with a much tighter budget, is doing (arguably) better work. I loved HOS.

• Like 1

NO, as a matter of fact, i have made many friends that we have met in lines or the park in general.

The "concern" is becoming so overwhelming, it's starting to sound like white noise. (Sarcasm) Whatever makes you sleep better at night buddy. Had a good chukle out of that one.

I'm not really sure what creates more white noise, the complaints from older angry fans or the defending posts from the fanboys and the brand new fans walking dead created lol. I think this year there is a little more white noise from the brand new fanbase that came to the park exclusively because of walking dead :lol:

Edited by clash

It's all noise. Every single bit of it. Just enjoy what you can and be done with it.

I think everyone here needs to chill out. Sensing the hostility. Though it will be interesting to see the attendance the next year when TWD has lost steam.

Mike as already implied talks with two IPs (one is likely Blumhouse for the Conjuring). TWD will be back. Crowds will be worse next year.
  • Like 1

Woah. What is this nine house talk? Any fact behind this or just conjecture?

*sighs* I guess it's time to finally cave in and buy those damned Express Passes next year. Hooray for an extra $60?

If you get a RoF pass it won't be so painful on the wallet. If you go 3 days that is more than your money's worth. Just saying :P

Well. How many nights did you go? take that number and add 60 bucks to each night. See which is worth the money. If you have express you would easily be able to do each house every night you went. Guess its a matter of money and frustration with regular lines. I had enough my first year xD

I'll just do what I do now, try to visit the houses from 6 to 7:30. that's it. now I pretty much get 1 hour and a half to do whatever I can, so I guess hopefully that will be okay for future years. It would be pretty terrible if I had to go at the park at 8 like so many people do

Edited by clash
  • Like 2