Roanoke: The Cannibal Colony

JDW

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This house was a huge letdown for me and was at the bottom of my list last year. It wasn't scary and it didn't feel in any way threatening. But I've come to realize if you think of this house as a comedy house, it seems so much better.

To me, the overall feel of the house was very campy to me, with the sort of upbeat tribal music, the "MEEEAT" sound effect, the brightness of the house, the settings, etc. It felt very Cabin in the Woods-type in terms of mood, and that was basically a mockery of horror movies. When you don't take the house seriously, as it was intended to be taken, it seems so much better than it was. If you went in expecting an intense or scary house, you'd leave letdown. If it was marketed as a comedy house and you went in expecting a light hearted house with some scares here and there, it seems so much better.

This, of course, is an opinion, and is not to be taken negatively by the actors in this house. I saw every actor in this house try to make this house scary, but the material they had to work with just wasn't scary.

• Like 1

This house was a huge letdown for me and was at the bottom of my list last year. It wasn't scary and it didn't feel in any way threatening. But I've come to realize if you think of this house as a comedy house, it seems so much better.

To me, the overall feel of the house was very campy to me, with the sort of upbeat tribal music, the "MEEEAT" sound effect, the brightness of the house, the settings, etc. It felt very Cabin in the Woods-type in terms of mood, and that was basically a mockery of horror movies. When you don't take the house seriously, as it was intended to be taken, it seems so much better than it was. If you went in expecting an intense or scary house, you'd leave letdown. If it was marketed as a comedy house and you went in expecting a light hearted house with some scares here and there, it seems so much better.

This, of course, is an opinion, and is not to be taken negatively by the actors in this house. I saw every actor in this house try to make this house scary, but the material they had to work with just wasn't scary.

Funny enough when I did the lights on tour of the house I was much more impressed with what they'd done. There was a lot of detail in ti that the overwhelming darkness in the house didn't show you. The finale sucked, terribly.

I did the UtH tour as well and was also impressed by the details and aesthetics. They definitely designed a great house thematically, as always, but the scare factor is just as important, and in some cases more important, than the thematic content.Last year ALL houses delivered thematically, but several fell flat in the scare deparment (AvP, Roanoke, FDTD and Dracula, to be specific).

• Like 1

Don't know if anyone who took the UTH tour noticed, but scenic had one major goof in it. The story was that the fort was thrown together with whatever wood could be worked by the crude tools the people had at hand. Yet there was one room that had walls made of stone - not just any stone, but carved stone, complete with archways and perfectly set keystones. It did not fit with the rest of the house at all. To me, it was clear goof, or perhaps a last minute floorplan change with no access to additional wood.

And who else didn't know the sheets hanging in that one room was supposed to be tobacco until they took the UTH tour? Anyone else thought it was supposed to be Skin Roll-Ups?

For me, the biggest disappoint was that we only got a few original houses, and this was one of them. If all we get is a couple of non-IP houses anymore, I want them to be Gothic and Dead End quality. Fortunately, Dollhouse fit that bill.

Edited by zombieman

And who else didn't know the sheets hanging in that one room was supposed to be tobacco until they took the UTH tour? Anyone else thought it was supposed to be Skin Roll-Ups?

I could be wrong, but didn't they use a tobacco scent for that area? I suppose the burnt wood smell may have trumped it.

I think we got a special finale for that house because not only did we get the giant Wendigo creature rushing us, but the guy up above on the perch yelled down in a deep deep booming voice, "I'M THE WENDIGO SPIRIT, FUCK YOU!!!"

It sounded so ridiculous, we laughed our asses off for a good few minutes.

I could be wrong, but didn't they use a tobacco scent for that area? I suppose the burnt wood smell may have trumped it.

I think we got a special finale for that house because not only did we get the giant Wendigo creature rushing us, but the guy up above on the perch yelled down in a deep deep booming voice, "I'M THE WENDIGO SPIRIT, FUCK YOU!!!"

It sounded so ridiculous, we laughed our asses off for a good few minutes.

Most nights they did use the tobacco smell in that scene. I did notice that one or two times I went through the house it did seem a bit faint.

• 1 month later...
  • Mark M. changed the title to Roanoke: The Cannibal Colony
  • Mark M. unpinned this topic