Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood 2013 Food, Merch, Ect.

I honestly don't see what the real problem with either of them is (Both, I can kinda see a problem), I mean, basically no one knew what La Llorona or El Cucuy was before this event, but that didn't stop them from making it, or from La Llorona being one of the best mazes (And I personally liked El Cucuy). If they just did Trick 'r Treat, the people who know it would love it, the people who learned of it could watch it, and the people who don't care could still enjoy a Halloween themed maze. There's no loss here... Even if the maze sucked, we still at least got it.

• Like 2

I mean, basically no one knew what La Llorona or El Cucuy was before this event, but that didn't stop them from making it,

Except all of the people that grew up with that story. Both of those stories are extremely well known in LA, moreso than most horror movies.

HOTC and Hostel were much better known back then than AWIL and Trick R Treat are today. Murdy said himself that AWIL is near the bottom of the heap as far as awareness goes and come on, Trick R Treat was a direct to video release.

Except all of the people that grew up with that story. Both of those stories are extremely well known in LA, moreso than most horror movies.

HOTC and Hostel were much better known back then than AWIL and Trick R Treat are today. Murdy said himself that AWIL is near the bottom of the heap as far as awareness goes and come on, Trick R Treat was a direct to video release.

Idk, pretty sure only hispanics (And not South Americans) knew what they were before the event. I'm partly Peruvian, and my mom had no idea who El Cucuy was, and she grew up in Peru.

Trick 'r Treat was fairly well-known when it first came out on DvD. Especially since it was on Netflix, back when Netflix didn't have that big of a selection.

"Only hispanics" and " basically no one" aren't the same thing. Especially in LA.

When Trick R Treat was released, it had the 228th best box office of any horror that year. 227 horror movies made more money in 2007. Slenderman is more popular. Not better, but more popular.

Edited by ferox

I can agree on hostel, but considering that HOTC did ok in box offices and got bad reviews, I don't think it's anymore relevant thanAWIL. At this point though, who really cares about noteriety. If we can have three years of aging rock stars that most of HHN's target audience doesn't care about, I think we can have AWIL and TRT. It seems like if you have one or more popular properties, than people will go regardless.

At the time of HOTC at HHN, Rob Zombie was one of the best known horror directors. I've had many conversations with people who can name literally one horror director, and that was Rob Zombie. I don't think he deserved his directorial fame, but he absolutely had it.

But we'll see a year from now when the lineup is announced. But don't hold out on TRT and AWIL when there's already producers with more current and popular IPs to fill up the three IP slots next year. If he did both, that would leave a single slot for a popular IP. Just one. One popular IP isn't going to sell the amount of tickets they need to sell, and I'm sure Murdy doesn't want to answer to the budget people why he spent so much money on two mazes that aren't getting any GP love while the one popular IP and originals are getting three hour lines. Especially the year after he had Insidious, Evil Dead, and Walking Dead. He has to make the event more popular, not less.

Like I said at the top of this page, while one lesser known IP could be a justified risk two in the same year would not. Orlando has eight mazes. Hollywood has five. 8>5. When you have more slots to fill, you can take more risks. But when you have less slots to fill, you can't afford to take as many risks. Especially when those risks have a high cost and Murdy has to answer to budget.

Especially since Orlando has been running longer and are known for doing lesser known IPs and take higher risks; its engrained in their fanbase and what that coast knows of the event. One day, we'll hopefully grow to that level, but for now we're taking baby steps. Gotta remember, there were no original mazes from 07 - 10, and the last 2 years, our original mazes were the same exact theme, and then even this year, our original mazes are in the same category (Latin folklore and music-based). We haven't seen them take many chances with the IPs yet. The only two slight risks were HoTC and The Thing, and very slight risks at that. The Thing's film bombed so its hard to say if the risk paid off, and HOTC was popular for RZs name attached, so much to the point that its repeat year, they dropped any images from the movie and just plastered his face on the marketing.

Edited by DTH316
  • Like 1

At the time of HOTC at HHN, Rob Zombie was one of the best known horror directors. I've had many conversations with people who can name literally one horror director, and that was Rob Zombie. I don't think he deserved his directorial fame, but he absolutely had it.

But we'll see a year from now when the lineup is announced. But don't hold out on TRT and AWIL when there's already producers with more current and popular IPs to fill up the three IP slots next year. If he did both, that would leave a single slot for a popular IP. Just one. One popular IP isn't going to sell the amount of tickets they need to sell, and I'm sure Murdy doesn't want to answer to the budget people why he spent so much money on two mazes that aren't getting any GP love while the one popular IP and originals are getting three hour lines. Especially the year after he had Insidious, Evil Dead, and Walking Dead. He has to make the event more popular, not less.

Understandable, I'm not really holding out for TrT, but I have a slight hope for AWIL after Watching Orlando's maze, which looked pretty great. I know that there are many upcoming properties, which I'm sure he's getting calls about, we'll see how those go (one in particular which I really want...if I haven't made it obvious enough lol). But who knows, with this recent universal/ legendary deal, we may end up getting TRT after all.

As far as Rob Zombie goes, I guess it really just depends on who you talk too. most teenagers (who, myself included, make up a pretty large amount of HHN guest) don't even know who he is...or at least the ones I talk to.

Right on said Rides. Teens do make up a pretty large amount of guests who include myself. Most people I talk to including the ones that go year after year are all like "I didn't know there's an original Evil Dead!" Who's Bruce Campbell. What the Hell is Alice Cooper, who's Eli Roth etc. Kinda frustrating I probably know more about horror than everybody I talk to including adults. My cadet lieutenant who's about 40 comes up to me notices my t-shirt and asks me what black Sabbath is! Lol