Photos & Scareactors

Photography  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Scareacters should "Pose" for Photographs?

• Yes
    • No

I will start doing a Poll Every Week. Each time a Poll is posted, it will remain Open for 2 weeks allowing for most to Vote, as always you may share your thoughts below, and as always please respect each other opinions.

If any of you have suggestions for a poll please PM me your idea :)

Edited by Quiksilver

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when the scarezone is set up for photographs (i.e. last years AIW) then it's perfectly fine. It's obvious when photos are encouraged due to interaction by the scareactors themselves. When the scarezone is put together strictly for atmosphere (i.e. Streets of Blood, American Gothic, etc.) then people stopping for photos starts to cause issues.

Trust me, if scareactors don't want to be photographed, they won't be...they have their ways. ;)

I totally agree with Lyn on this. Some scareactors that interact with you are okay to take pictures with but other scareactors just need to be left alone and go along their business.

I totally agree with Lyn on this. Some scareactors that interact with you are okay to take pictures with but other scareactors just need to be left alone and go along their business.

Over the years it seems that photographs with scareactors have become more the norm, so this past year it was nice to see some scarezones that were strictly for atmospheric purposes...and didn't have dozens of people swarming with cameras! :)

I voted no.

I would prefer that Universal invest their resources in actors that are hired to scare not to pose. Prior to last year, I would see actors take pictures with guests that they knew from time to time, and I think that's to be expected and fine. However, when I see a scareactor spend the majority of his/her time taking pictures, and there is a line like at a Disney character meet spot, I think a line has been crossed. I think last year crossed that line with AiW especially and Fractured Tales to a lesser degree.

I voted no.

I would prefer that Universal invest their resources in actors that are hired to scare not to pose. Prior to last year, I would see actors take pictures with guests that they knew from time to time, and I think that's to be expected and fine. However, when I see a scareactor spend the majority of his/her time taking pictures, and there is a line like at a Disney character meet spot, I think a line has been crossed. I think last year crossed that line with AiW especially and Fractured Tales to a lesser degree.

I see your point and i agree. Now if my memory serves me correctly, you walked around with a SLR Last year with Mark and Jenn, so do you mean take pictures with Scareactors, or take pictures of them in action, cause of the 800 pictures i took last year maybe 12 were with a scareactor and a Patron :)

I see your point and i agree. Now if my memory serves me correctly, you walked around with a SLR Last year with Mark and Jenn, so do you mean take pictures with Scareactors, or take pictures of them in action, cause of the 800 pictures i took last year maybe 12 were with a scareactor and a Patron :)

I like pictures of the scareactors in action, and I was upset in 2007 when people were told not to take pictures in the scarezones at all. I'm talking about taking pictures with the actor posing with guests. Like this one of me and an actor from the passholder event last year -

ft.jpg

I am not completely against taking pictures with actors, obviously. I just felt like on some of the busier nights last year, some of the scarezones had limited scares because the actors were all busy taking pictures with guests. If I have to pick, I pick scares over photo-ops, if that makes sense.

I like pictures of the scareactors in action, and I was upset in 2007 when people were told not to take pictures in the scarezones at all. I'm talking about taking pictures with the actor posing with guests. Like this one of me and an actor from the passholder event last year -

ft.jpg

I am not completely against taking pictures with actors, obviously. I just felt like on some of the busier nights last year, some of the scarezones had limited scares because the actors were all busy taking pictures with guests. If I have to pick, I pick scares over photo-ops, if that makes sense.

I 100% agree with you on this, btw i bought my SLR Canon T1i so I can now join the SLR group and not that sony i had walking around with last year lol

PS good luck with the Job Interview :)

Edited by Quiksilver

That's my point exactly. If a scarezone loses it's atmosphere because the scareactors who are supposed to be working are too busy posing for pictures with guests, then you've got an issue.

On peak nights, that should most definitely be a no-no...not only does it take away from the intended atmosphere, but it clogs up an area even more so with people waiting around to have pictures taken. On slower nights, perhaps it isn't as big of a deal.

When it comes down to it Universal should follow suit like Disney does and offer photo ops in a designated area at certain times throughout the night. That would solve many of the issues!

That's my point exactly. If a scarezone loses it's atmosphere because the scareactors who are supposed to be working are too busy posing for pictures with guests, then you've got an issue.

On peak nights, that should most definitely be a no-no...not only does it take away from the intended atmosphere, but it clogs up an area even more so with people waiting around to have pictures taken. On slower nights, perhaps it isn't as big of a deal.

When it comes down to it Universal should follow suit like Disney does and offer photo ops in a designated area at certain times throughout the night. That would solve many of the issues!

I completely agree with this 100%! Very well put!

I don't think they should stop and pose the whole time they are out there, if you know someone like a friend or family, that's fine. I rather take pictures of SA's in action than just standing there doing nothing or posing.

With the economy the way it is I am forces to work fulltime at HHN this year to get caught up on bills, Sucks that I am forced to work it instead of wanting to. Maybe I will have a bad attitude and get some awesome scares.

Any bets on FireCrew for me again?

Well, in a way I'm glad you'll be working HHN.. your one of the best SA's at the event. Do you want Firecrew? I agree with Matt, if you audition early and there is a Frankenstein house, I'd bet your in it.

• 10 months later...

i hate it when they use the flash as a Defense tool in 08 when i worked at the skoolhouse a good 35-40% of the ppl with cams that i scared would end up using there flash in my face blinding me :blink:. Now i didn't mind taking photos on slow nights but on busy ones i just wanted to scare :P

Edited by gwarfan

So then with a good number of scareactors on the board, I ask this in the sake of respect for you all and your job: when is it appropriate to use flash in a picture of a scareactor? When you're not facing the camera or even have some angle toward it? It was bothering me when I went, so much that when I did take a forward shot of a scareactor anywhere I took it without flash with most of those photos ending up unusable or just pretty crummy in the end, although some of it worked out in a fuzzy way.

Thoughts?

Just speaking for myself....

If I'm working in a house, I do not want flash photography at all. It's very annoying and can be incredibly blinding. I'm against taking photos or video inside a house anyway. People should concentrate on the atmosphere, scares, and story and not trying to focus on taking away mementos.

If I'm working in a scarezone, I'm pretty flexible and can usually transition from photo taking to scaring pretty easily. I'll usually accommodate with poses if you ask nicely. However, if I ignore you, don't take it personally because I'm probably either busy scaring or under orders not to do photo ops. Flash photography outdoors doesn't bother me, but don't suddenly light up right into my eyes when I'm not expecting it.

Just speaking for myself....

If I'm working in a house, I do not want flash photography at all. It's very annoying and can be incredibly blinding. I'm against taking photos or video inside a house anyway. People should concentrate on the atmosphere, scares, and story and not trying to focus on taking away mementos.

If I'm working in a scarezone, I'm pretty flexible and can usually transition from photo taking to scaring pretty easily. I'll usually accommodate with poses if you ask nicely. However, if I ignore you, don't take it personally because I'm probably either busy scaring or under orders not to do photo ops. Flash photography outdoors doesn't bother me, but don't suddenly light up right into my eyes when I'm not expecting it.

I've always thought that anyone trying to take flash photos in one of the houses is just downright rude. Not only are they ruining the ambiance for the rest of the guests, but doing just like you said and blinding the scareactors trying to do their job! Agreed...a house is about atmosphere and scares, not about photography.

I wonder if perhaps we'll see this year as we did for Sweet 16 many of the major characters out and about on Hollywood Blvd. doing more photo ops than scaring?

I do think most of us as guests would agree that scarezone photography is a judgement call. If you ask nicely for the scareactor to pose and they do, great...if they dont', don't be offended...simple as that. And first and foremost, if people are taking pics in a scarezone, don't blind the scareactors.

Well, yes.. I was referring to taking photos outside of the mazes. I'd only go as far as taking a picture of the facade, if possible (decided against taking one of the Silver Screams one since it was inside the building) and I only took photos of the mazes visited in the Unmasking the Horror tour, minus Wolfman of course. But thanks though, I'll keep that in mind for this year.

By the way, what exactly was the eyeless girl with the large mouth in Horrorwood from, anyway? I got the majority of the characters in that scarezone, but she remains a mystery to me...

i haven't read any of the comments made, i just wanna state why i voted "no"

when im walking around the street trying to scare people, i have other people walking up attempting to grab me and beg for pictures. I understand that people want to pose and take cool pictures, great! but out there i have a job to do, and thats scare. so when im posing with a guest, and 20 other guests walk by, how many of them come back to the forums saying, oh that SZ wasn't scary...i got no scares.

if the park is empty, or early around opening. pictures are fine...minus the chanisaws, most people wont be frightened.

also, the flash! i cant tell you how many times i turn around to have a flash in my face, and people laughing at me because i had to walk off to the side to wait for my vision to come back. its a joke to some, and honestly not fun.

I am big on photos with scarectors, I don't ever stop anyone during busy times and I always ask before I get a picture with them. I would never take pictures in a house and Universal should enforce that rule by ejecting guest that do when it is clearly stated not to. I believe as long as I am not stopping a scarector from doing there job I deserve a photo, They are IMO just like any other wandering character in a park. Hell we even get pics with the Shot girls. I believe on busy nights (which I don't go on) they don't really have time, But Universal at 16 did a scarezone that was nothing but a Photo op which I loved.

Now at HOS I am fortunate and many of the people I know who work the event will take the time on there breaks if there in a House to take pics and the scare zone people I know always take time to get pics with me. I am enjoy taking pics of scarcectors but I also take a number from a distance were I don't blind them.

Must say, it really irritates me to walk through a SZ and see it heaving with people and just seeing actors posing for photos (Happened a lot last year in the war of the living dead SZ, and it drove me insane.) I voted no in the poll, because as those before me have also mentioned, actors should be scaring, not posing for photos.