UMTH Tour

I own a theater company so have always been torn about taking the UMTH tour... I would love to take the tour and get some inspiration (my companies entire lighting system is based on a foot click I saw a SA using in a SZ to make a loud sound effect go off), but I also don't necessarily want to know what goes on back there. I sort of think of it like walking through the disney tunnels and watching characters on their smoke break). A few years ago during the scream house, we took an accidental wrong turn and ended up backstage and it did take us out of the experience... any feedback would be appreciated!

Well I guess that depends if you want to see the houses with the lights on. To me, it is an incredible expreince to learn all the stories and I love to see how it all works. But if you don't want to ruin the magic... then I would say no.

Jeramy makes a valid point, but honestly (from a scareactors perspective) you won't see a lot of "magic spoilers," on the tour. It doesn't take place while the house is active, so you won't see any scareactors out of costume (which would be the "magic ruiner"). Most of the technical effects aren't too difficult to figure out normally if you have any familiarity with technical theater anyway. The only "activity" you may see is technicians doing repairs, which you know occurs anyway.

I initially resisted going on the UTH tour, worried it would ruin the experience for me. But the past two years I have gone on it and personally, I'd say it adds to your HHN experience. There is so much you miss going through the houses at night, especially in the "conga line", and the kind of details you can see during the tour and the stories/information you get during the tour is great, plus the opportunity to take pictures. I love it. I only wish you could to go through all the houses that way on it. :)

I originally resisted going because I didn't want to ruin the magic either. I have gone the past couple of years towards the end of the event after I've been through all the houses many times. That way, I get to pick up on all the details, but I already know enough about the house to prevent it from being spoiled.

I went on the UTH tour last year for the first time and it was incredible!

I would recommend doing it AFTER you have already been to the event though, as to not spoil any surprises inside of the houses. It's really amazing how many things you might overlook when going through a house during regular operating hours (and with a conga line hot on your heels).

A prime example of this was in Hades last year. I loved each run I made through the house, but it wasn't until the UTH tour that I could really stop and take in all of the detail that was included in some of the scenes. For example, the Hydra hallway was meticulously painted to look like a mosaic, and I would have never been able to see or appreciate that if I wouldn't have taken the tour.

My wife on the other hand likes to do the tour before going in the houses, so she can know what to expect :P

I'm not sure how it went last year with the V.I.P lounge but before you tour the soundstages do they usually take you into some sort of exhibit room or something like that?

Last year you chilled in a room with other tour goers until the tour began, they then took you out to the streets and talked about a few of the scare zones, after this they took you to the sound stages.

In 2009 they had the room where you waited this past year set up with a model of the Palace Theater as a cool treat. They also had books for each houses with concept work and such, they then took you to one or two of the streets and then the houses.

Hope this helps!

Hey so im 13. I know me and my 3 other friends wanna go but the ony parent that can take us said its too much money. I have a back up but idk cause they arent really in that price range of paying for him and the kid. I just need to know all the BEST and WORST things about this. I also need pursuasing i tell to my friends dad. lol Also is it worth the money? Just anyone who can comment everything and anything about this please comment. I would kill to go to this, but obviously i need a parent -___- I'm a die hard fan for 3 years. And it would be like a dream to go. lol

Am I the only terribly devastated by the loss of the house books? I absolutely LOVED seeing the house's elevations, concept art, floor plans, and so on.

I really do wish Universal will bring them back this year.

:(

Sadly this is my first year going on the UTH tour I would have loved to lay me eyes on those house books! I'm really hoping we get to see them.

Am I the only terribly devastated by the loss of the house books? I absolutely LOVED seeing the house's elevations, concept art, floor plans, and so on.

I really do wish Universal will bring them back this year.

:(

Meh, it was never that interesting to see sketches of things I was about to see with the lights on, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all -

My life's ambition is to work in the A&D department for HHN and do this for a living ... I was going to go BigTime tour with an A&D member but I don't have the money. Instead I'm going to take the tour with the Q&A sessions. I'm wondering a few things:

1- What can anyone tell me about when I should go? I went to the Behind the Screams tour back in 09 and the houses were in disrepair and such from people mucking them up, and the tour guide was kind of road-weary, to say the least! I think going too early might not be good because they've got to learn their stride ... Is the middle the best?

2- Anybody been to one of the q&a sessions? I could ask them each a million questions, but I know the time is limited. Do you all think this could help me possibly end up working for HHN? Or at least finding out what I'd have to do to get there?

3- Do you all prefer to go with people from the forums or strangers? I noticed that I kind of started to aggravate people when I went (Tour guide: "We reuse some props and scenery too- does anyone recognize this?" Me:"Yeah it was on the trellis on the top left on 1428 Elm Street" Tour guide: :::evil stare::"

Thanks!

-Anthony