HHN XXI Wishful Thinking

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I am an unwashed heathen, I went and looked this Candleja...er, CJ guy up.

You guys are a hoot. He's a pretty creepy character, certainly, but how short would that house be?!

Mae

Don't feel too bad. I did the exact same thing before I joined in the fun.

I know this would probably be a tad offensive, and I'm sure it's been brought up before, but wouldn't real life serial killers be an amazing theme for houses? John Wayne Gacy's basement, Ted Bundy's female victims, Ed Gein's demented home with his dead mother.

Actually. Fuck that. I wouldn't want to go in those. I'd shit my pants.

I know this would probably be a tad offensive, and I'm sure it's been brought up before, but wouldn't real life serial killers be an amazing theme for houses? John Wayne Gacy's basement, Ted Bundy's female victims, Ed Gein's demented home with his dead mother.

Actually, that would be scary as hell.. More "real horror". Something I'd really like to see at events in the future. Everything has been very fictional and "monster" themed. Why not some more realistic horror?

Honestly I think we can have a realistic serial killer house with an original story without having to use the names of real murderers. When designing the house the creators are going to take inspiration from real life events anyway.

I've actually toyed with a house designed in that manner.

How would a generic serial killer house translate though? I mean isn't most of the event about that? Each killer has his distinguishing characteristics but they aren't usually anything that would stand out or translate so that people going in would just know what is going on. (Gein & Gasey being a few exceptions).

But, If they were to do a serial killer house, I couldn't see them doing a made up serial killer unless there was somthing destinguishing about him. (unique weapon, unique outfit, etc.) But at that point, aren't we right back to most of the houses? I mean Jack, Caretaker, The Director, Elsa, the usher, Norman Bates, Jason, Freddy, Leather Face, Eddie, The scream ghost, and many others are just serial killers. Some with varying degrees of magical properties and others just normal crazies. So any new serial killer would be a guy dressed in a costume with a distinct weapon... and you couldn't say they wouldn't have masks or something. Are you going to cast 27 look a likes? Or for examples what does everyone always say about the many Psycho houses? "There are too many Norman's dressed in dresses." But that is what you would get if a house is just based solely on a non-magical serial killer.

I can't see them doing real life serial killers. Most of them stray into some very taboo and messed up areas (necrophilia, rape, child molestation, etc.) So it would have to be toned down and still left as recognizable to that killer. However, when doing that, you can't portray actual events/murders that people lived through or family members of the deceased had to deal with... or it would be lawsuit heaven... and in poor taste anyway.

I think made up characters really are a far better avenue and... low and behold.. they already do that.

Edited by JWFearman

Okay, my concept for a "Serial Killer" is tied into a full theme for the event where, low and behold, the entire event is based on "real" events, Halloween Horror Nights: Stranger Than Fiction (imagine a Donner Party Scarezone for example). The icon for the event would be, "The Historian," an unassuming, college professor-type character who is fascinated by the history of horror. "Serial," would actually be the Historian's signature house.

Facade is set to look like a redstone college hall. It would be set up in a similar manner to Silver Screams with transition halls (where the movie posters were) between the actual scenes. Each transition hall would be the "college" and feature a TV screen (or laptop, or projector, it would vary) of the Historian giving a "lecture" on the Serial killer in the upcoming room. Each room would "recreate" a scene, or attack that the killer is known for (College Dorm, Park, Torture Room, Human Flesh Smokehouse, etc). The lecture would actually be heard throughout the room, giving the impression that the scenes are being imagined because of the lecture (not that it is. The Historian would have no powers, but would just be crazy). The final transition and room would not have a lecture, but would actually the Historian's office where he watches you from a desk. He doesn't attack, he just watches and grins. The walls are covered in crime scene photos of serial killers, weapons, etc. As you exit the house/room, College-aged victims of the Historian charge you, desperate for your help in escaping.

Viola. Instant "real" serial-killer house.

Okay, my concept for a "Serial Killer" is tied into a full theme for the event where, low and behold, the entire event is based on "real" events, Halloween Horror Nights: Stranger Than Fiction (imagine a Donner Party Scarezone for example). The icon for the event would be, "The Historian," an unassuming, college professor-type character who is fascinated by the history of horror. "Serial," would actually be the Historian's signature house.

Facade is set to look like a redstone college hall. It would be set up in a similar manner to Silver Screams with transition halls (where the movie posters were) between the actual scenes. Each transition hall would be the "college" and feature a TV screen (or laptop, or projector, it would vary) of the Historian giving a "lecture" on the Serial killer in the upcoming room. Each room would "recreate" a scene, or attack that the killer is known for (College Dorm, Park, Torture Room, Human Flesh Smokehouse, etc). The lecture would actually be heard throughout the room, giving the impression that the scenes are being imagined because of the lecture (not that it is. The Historian would have no powers, but would just be crazy). The final transition and room would not have a lecture, but would actually the Historian's office where he watches you from a desk. He doesn't attack, he just watches and grins. The walls are covered in crime scene photos of serial killers, weapons, etc. As you exit the house/room, College-aged victims of the Historian charge you, desperate for your help in escaping.

Viola. Instant "real" serial-killer house.

Ok I can see that working. If you have a house full of different killers and don't use specific victims.

Kind of ANDI meets The mind of Norman Bates. But How would you fill out the rest of the event based off the historian without getting into the realm of fantasy and what delineates the houses? Do you go back to the antiquity and make houses based on people such as Elizabeth Báthory, Gilles de Rais, or Vlad the Impaler? Or just do lesser know serial killers like Serhiy Tkach, Donald Harvey, Alexander Pichushkin?

Edited by JWFearman

Ok I can see that working. If you have a house full of different killers and don't use specific victims.

Kind of ANDI meets The mind of Norman Bates. But How would you fill out the rest of the event based off the historian without getting into the realm of fantasy and what delineates the houses? Do you go back to the antiquity and make houses based on people such as Elizabeth Báthory, Gilles de Rais, or Vlad the Impaler? Or just do lesser know serial killers like Serhiy Tkach, Donald Harvey, Alexander Pichushkin?

The "Serial" house would be devoted to individuals traditionally described as serial-killers (Gacey, Bundy, Gein, the BTK and more obscure ones who couldn't carry more than a room as indiviuals). The rest of the event would be historic "horrors" such as a Vlad the Impaler house (not Vampyrs, but a true Vlad house with his army), the Donner Party, an historically accurate plague house (not Catacombs), the Inquisition, etc. Even things such as the Salem Witch trials could be fascinating as scarezones if the scareactors are directed to, instead of working to "scare" the guests, actually accuse the guests of being witches and warlocks and harass them. Using historically accurate events allows the motivations for the scares to change (like how Saws and Steam did) where the motivation is no longer just scare. SnS was a story of survival. A Donner Party SZ (in Central Park, with snow machines in the trees) would be similar where the scareactors are after the guests to eat them out of survival.

Possible houses - Vlad the Impaler, "Plague," Spanish Inquisition, True Bloody Mary, "Serial," Mayan Sacrifice, OK Corral/Claimjumpers

Possible SZ - Mafia, Donner Party, Salem Witches, Military Occupation (unnamed military)...

And those are just off the top of my head without really researching for more strange and maccabre tales.

I like to think the whole event could be incredibly unnerving because it's all really. The "Historian" would be advertised as a "Spokeman" for the event, but would perform as an icon. He would be the one seen in queue videos explaining the events that houses are based on and would give "lectures" at a small stage about other infamous atrocities. The story of he himself being a serial killer would never really be addressed directly, but would rather be alluded to (like him not attacking in his house). Besides, you never know who the killers are before it's too late.

I love the album by Poe inspired by that book. Especially "

I think that would be a clever house. The unothodox style of the book itself would make for an excellent website. Various notes and things to read through with footnotes that have footnotes.

- Through all windows I see only infinity

I like that song and I like Poe. I didn't know Poe was Danielewski's sister.

I agree 100% that it would make a clever house and great website. I imagine it would be going through all the explorations and video journals leading up to the event. Legendary Truth could be investigating the House on Ash Tree Lane or something. I think it would be enjoyable to everyone who's read the book, or at least know of it. Everyone else would probably be really confused about walking through a lot of black-painted hallways.

I'm going to put this in wishful thinking since it's probably not true, but someone that worked at uni came in and we were talking about HHN, and he was saying that he heard through the grapevine that Eddie was making an appearance this year. Now of course since I've heard that all of the old characters are at rest for a while I didn't know what to think, but figured I would share

I'm going to put this in wishful thinking since it's probably not true, but someone that worked at uni came in and we were talking about HHN, and he was saying that he heard through the grapevine that Eddie was making an appearance this year. Now of course since I've heard that all of the old characters are at rest for a while I didn't know what to think, but figured I would share

I'd say that's worthy of "speculation". But if any icons were to make a return, Eddie would be the one I'd want to see.

I'd say that's worthy of "speculation". But if any icons were to make a return, Eddie would be the one I'd want to see.

Well like someone was saying with Cindy, he never really got his spotlight, but was just known by mostly the real fans. So just maybe he will be in the run

Yeah, I would put that in spec, but it can be treated as wishful thinking as well. If we're going to wish on it though, I wouldn't mind seeing them use Eddie's story with a different character (since they completely changed it at the last minute to make him Jack's brother). I think there would be a sweet appropriateness to the story of the trailer-park horror freak coming back a full decade later, only adapted so it doesn't botch the Jack-Eddie canon.

I always thought Eddie sounded and looked better on paper than he did at the actual event. I don't think he'd be that great of an icon. As for his house, the original RUN concept would be very cool. I wouldn't mind seeing that one year.

but how could they make the house bigger on the inside than on the outside? And what about the Minotaur that nobody actually sees?

The facade could be a small one story home surrounded by trees. You enter, and walk down a hallway, and at the end is the door leading into darkness, but on each side of the door are windows with trees and a yard perfectly visible through them. I imagine the Minotaur would just be heard, and not actually seen, which I guess would be pretty disappointing. That's why I thought the walls themselves would come to life, and hands from within the walls would try to grab you and such. Also, LT members could be seen being absorbed by the walls. I think the house on Ash Tree Lane would make a very interesting house, but not necessarily a very good one.