HHN XXI Wishful Thinking

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if they are going to bring back the Rocky Horror Picture show? I was really looking forward to going to it for the first time last year but I missed it :(

I was devastated about that, that was the worst thing that people at Uni could have done, I did it every night year before, I was so mad

I mention this before around but people seemed to not miss it or not care, so I started to think it might not come back, and, for what i heard, people at the park were not that interested, I mean the general public...... :(

Does anyone know if they are going to bring back the Rocky Horror Picture show? I was really looking forward to going to it for the first time last year but I missed it :(

Along with having to pay money to put on the show, there will always be a problem with putting Rocky Horror RIGHT THERE in front of you. Go to almost any show and you'll see plenty of offended parents and old biddies who then run out and start complaining to the staff. At least normally Rocky Horror is shoved away into a movie theater and you have to pay to see it, plus verbal warnings from anyone who sees you bringing a kid in. Putting Rocky in public and not bothering to check who wanders in is a good way to get the people least suited to Rocky Horror sitting in front of a bunch of transvestites and cursing drunk people.

As for HHN at Islands, there's just some logistics that have to be considered. The entire park is circular with no shortcuts anywhere since they stopped the boat service (whereas Universal on the east side of the lagoon has plenty of side paths and shortcuts through the scarezones) and the thin pathways ensures a jam of people. While this makes them amazing when there's only a few people walking through, the crowds you see at the event today will result in a massive crowd with a few scareactors fighting not to run into any drunks.

Hopefully they will utilize both parks this year so it will make everyone happy. I for one would like to see HHN back at the islands but you do bring up a good point about overcrowding. There is alot more space at the studios. But who knows whats going to happen for HHN XXI so let the speculating continue... :D

Edited by HORRORLANDO

There are no "sidewalks." The next time you walk through there, you'll notice that the design is just a flat patio, plus those steps leading down to the lagoon. It's a safety issue.

Exactly hence the roaming troop. But Riddle me this... Sting alley does not have sidewalks either with several alcoves that step down yet it is used. Sure you don't HAVE to go in... but that has never stopped anyone.

Each subsequent year I attended (2003-2004), some the themes felt shoe-horned and none were as effective. Hide and Shriek was a nice idea that is ineffective as a scarezone. The I loved the Jungle of Doom house, the scarezone was just awkward. Containment? That was just ToxicCity 2.0. In 2003, Lost Continent was the Party Zone; 2004 was Marvel. Point being, there are a lot of limits in what can be done at Islands. Yes, it's better themed and yes, the narrower paths make the scarezones that much more effective. However, there is potential for so much more variety at the Studios, which is what A&D needs. There are two consistently used streets that are literally blank canvases (Shrek Alley and where Esquilito was, which I can never remember). Hollywood, New York and San Fran are all big enough and visually different enough that different concepts can be built and overlaid with little concern for location (they built a warehouse in Hollywood).

Funny I thought Jungle of Doom was terrible (and Evilution for that Matter) While the SZ in Jurassic were awesome... to each his own I guess.

I agree on the themes being very strong at IOA and there are way too many IPs that have control over its islands. Also, the entire park is a big circle. This makes the narrow streets work against the event. You can't easily get to anything without making the loop like everyone else. This causes massive congestion even on the typical summer day. Plus people are forced to walk directly through a scarezone... even if they don't want to.

I never experienced HHN at IOA, so I really don't know, just talking here,

but, Universal has a lot of empty spaces, all the way from MIB to ET is totally empty, that's half the park, and then, in front of the Mummy is usually empty, the scarezones there are in the sides, so Uni has a lot of empty spaces as well, like I said I dont know about IOA, but, the scarezones are not that big, i dont know........ :mellow:

As Legacy stated its all safety and congestion issues. I'm sure they are doing their best to maximize scarezones.

Hopefully they will utilize both parks this year so it will make everyone happy.

Making everyone happy is a logistical impossibility. Half the time it seems that everything is amazing... and most people just want to complain. (That goes for most of life too)

I've been 16 years to HHN at Universal and 3 years to HHN at IOA. I've seen the event go from one house (with a 2.5 hour wait), no scare zones, and open 3 nights only to the massive, crowd-choked, spectacular event that it has become. Each year had its positives and negatives. It a balancing act. the better the event the more idiots you have to contend with... and the more opinions you see as well. Some people are never happy with anything. I'm sure if we had had a forum before HHN15 it would have been the same thing.

I honestly don't know what to expect this year and, to me, that is exciting.

Do I want to see it at IOA again? Of course it would be cool. I just don't see how it is possible yet.

Edited by JWFearman

Exactly hence the roaming troop. But Riddle me this... Sting alley does not have sidewalks either with several alcoves that step down yet it is used. Sure you don't HAVE to go in... but that has never stopped anyone.

I think that is the liabilty work around. You can walk the front half the park and, theoretically, never confront a scareactor. You can see them and hear them, but by either staying on sidewalks or taking a different path, you can never be targeted for a scare. Between San Fran and Animal Actors stage, you can't. It's all "flat" ground. Granted, I think scareactors can be taught "this is the safe zone," but then the guests wouldn't know it. It would make for a better event, but there would be complaints from the people who go and don't want to go through scarezones (Why? I don't know, but those people do exist...).

Wishful Thinking -

An military troop carrier (the ZAP truck) with DoWs pulls out of the Simpsons Gate every 45 minutes for a set. The trick is that there is only one cast. The scarezone is only active for 45 minutes at a time. It's the best postition because the "chicken route" safe zone would be along the lagoon and not on the upper level. Or the chickens can just wait for 45 minutes. They deserve it.

Funny I thought Jungle of Doom was terrible (and Evilution for that Matter) While the SZ in Jurassic were awesome... to each his own I guess.

Jungle of Doom during Employee preview was terrifying. They had potted plants in the middle of the path that you had to push out of your way, like you were actually lost in the jungle. It was incredibly unnerving and led to only moment of pure fear I have ever experienced at the event (I got to a point where I didn't know where to go. I was surrounded by trees, couldn't find the path, and just KNEW a scareactor was waiting to pounce. The group I was leading started freaking out because I had stalled for a full ten seconds. Panic set in. etc. A flame jet finally went off and I saw where to go. Terrifying.). To my disappointment, they took all those plants out before opening night because it was just too difficult to navigate. It killed all of the ambiance and power of the house.

Evilution was kitchy with some amazing set pieces. I loved what they did with the triceratops animatronic and the triceratops head to walk under, and I enjoyed some of the character designs, but it would have been much more effective had they taken the theme and put it in the Discovery Center.

Making everyone happy is a logistical impossibility. Half the time it seems that everything is amazing... and most people just want to complain. (That goes for most of life too)

I've been 16 years to HHN at Universal and 3 years to HHN at IOA. I've seen the event go from one house (with a 2.5 hour wait), no scare zones, and open 3 nights only to the massive, crowd-choked, spectacular event that it has become. Each year had its positives and negatives. It a balancing act. the better the event the more idiots you have to contend with... and the more opinions you see as well. Some people are never happy with anything. I'm sure if we had had a forum before HHN15 it would have been the same thing.

I honestly don't know what to expect this year and, to me, that is exciting.

Do I want to see it at IOA again? Of course it would be cool. I just don't see how it is possible yet.

I often times wonder how the interwebz would react to the HHN at the beginning of the millenium. All of the focus is post-2005, which in my opinion, wasn't some of the best conceptual years (re-hashes and movies, aside from 2008). Granted, I took a Halloween Horror Hiatus from 2005-2008, so I can't speak from experience, but none of it really interested me. The "middle-years" ('98-'05) seemed to have the most creative ideas.

Edited by Legacy

Hopefully they will utilize both parks this year so it will make everyone happy. I for one would like to see HHN back at the islands but you do bring up a good point about overcrowding. There is alot more space at the studios. But who knows whats going to happen for HHN XXI so let the speculating continue... :D

Both parks will mostly solve the overcrowding issue at islands, but one complaint I've heard from 2004 (one of the few) was that it took so much walking to get anywhere. I can see where they're coming from, as during Grad Bash they had a path open between the parks that I believe was at least partially the same one used for Field of Screams, and I can say first hand how much of a walk it is to get from the Carnage Warehouse queue over to the tents. It's a very long walk that some people would NOT want to do.

Both parks will mostly solve the overcrowding issue at islands, but one complaint I've heard from 2004 (one of the few) was that it took so much walking to get anywhere. I can see where they're coming from, as during Grad Bash they had a path open between the parks that I believe was at least partially the same one used for Field of Screams, and I can say first hand how much of a walk it is to get from the Carnage Warehouse queue over to the tents. It's a very long walk that some people would NOT want to do.

I remember the pathway. There was a lot of walking involved that year but it was all worth it... :D

I remember the pathway. There was a lot of walking involved that year but it was all worth it... :D

I just really wish they'd look into moving things around a little. They have practically all the scare zones at the front of the park, which makes the back of the park empty.

Edited by Goo

It would be cool to see other parts of Universal used for scarezones. Amity would be a cool place. Also it would be cool if they turned the stay and scream area by Finnegan's into a scarezone, So you would basically be waiting for HHN to start in a scarezone. That would be pretty sweet in my book... :)

Edited by HORRORLANDO

This is wishful thinking and i know this wont happen but it be cool to have both parks have a different theme and both be open on the same nights

I can't remember the exact year (either 2001 or 2002), but one of the very early plans that got about as far as concept art was for two icons: Jack and his bitter ex-girlfriend, Jill. Each would take over one park. I believe Jack got Universal, though I don't know anything beyond that or if there would be marked differences between the parks. As everyone knows, the two-park deal took a few more years to hit and generally most people consider it one of the top years in history.

In regards to having RHPS coming back, I would love that. Watching the show there was the first time I'd ever seen it ever. As for people getting offended by it, that's just so lame :/ On their part, I mean. honestly.....you're at Halloween Horror Nights. Its a place for blood and gore and all other sorts of profanity......if they're going to be taken back by something like RHPS, than maybe they shouldn't have come lol

Yeah sorry....It just really grinds my gears when people get offended over silly things >.< Or when people bring their children to HHN. >.< Ugh...some people should just stick to Mickey's Not-so-scary Halloween. lol

About people complaining Rocky Horror Picture Show,

That makes me kinda Mad actually, I mean,

First of all, the event is not for kids, the event guides, the tickets, everywhere it says, not appropriate for kids so, parents complaining.... :rolleyes:

and second, How can Rocky Horror shock people today??? <_<

With things like Lady Gaga, and Mtv shows like Jersey shore, I've seen Way worst things on tv and online recently that anything from rocky horror, I mean Glee did rocky horror for God's sake... :rolleyes:

and about Uni having to pay for rocky horror, well, they had the magic show last year which was okay... but, they probably had to pay for that too, i dont know...

Brushwood was, overall, probably a cheaper show then Rocky Horror. Brian needed a contract signed and he would take care of the rest. Rocky needed rights, cast, swings, crew, production team and rehearsals to pay for. It adds up and takes a lot longer then giving a self-contained contractor a venue.

Also, Rocky Horror isn't that good of a musical.

Yeah, I said it.

You obviously have never experienced how fun Rocky can be, live or in the theater!

As for it being gone, I don't really mind. They cut a lot out from when I saw it in 07, but that was before I became a Rocky fan. In fact, that show made me on. After I saw the show I was dying to see the movie! But when I'm at HHN, I'd personally much rather do the houses, rather than see RHPS. I can see that back where I am at home if I want to.

Edited by Goo

yeah that's what I was afraid of, that people don't really care that is gone or don't want it back,

that's why I think Rocky horror is gone forever, because is only a few of us that really like it, I mean, the General Public doesn't really care of complains, and there are just a few fans...

Oh, and, Well, I Love doing the houses as well, but, when the lines become like 2 hour wait, it was great to do rocky horror

Edited by black7mask

I like RHPS but having said that I don't care either way if it comes back or not. As for the 2 park idea I like it. I didn't get to experience it the year it was done. I have gotten to experience IOA and obviously the studios though. The year I saw it at IOA was 13 and is the year that got me hooked. I also think they need to switch up where the scarezones are a bit. It just seems to familiar year after year even though it is a different event.

Edited by AaronPaHHNFan

I experienced the event when it was at both parks. While I remember it fondly, I'm not convinced that the event (or the general public) isn't quite ready for a split-park event again just yet. I think we're all getting a little used to the "sameness" of the event over the past few years. The houses are in the same soundstages, queue entrances and lines in the same locations, scarezones in the same spots.

If you've ever had a route that you take on a regular basis (i.e. your walk to school, drive to work, etc) and done it in reverse, you'll find that the familiar can quickly become unfamiliar. It sounds to me that, instead of expanding the footprint of the entire event, we might first try a little bit of a "refresh." While there are a finite number of locations for houses, the soundstages have plenty of room to try something new. Maybe re-route the queue lines a bit, move house entrances to new spots and pick a new location or two for scarezones. I think we'd all be surprised how "new" and refreshing the event might be with just a little bit of change.

Honestly, I loved RHPS but we can do without it. I agree w/ blackmask though...with all the sorts of things we have out there today, this should really not surprise anyone lol

As for having the event in both parks, it would be interesting. I didn't get to experience it when we had it last so I'd like to see what all the fuss is about. I'm just not crazy about having it at IOA

I experienced the event when it was at both parks. While I remember it fondly, I'm not convinced that the event (or the general public) isn't quite ready for a split-park event again just yet. I think we're all getting a little used to the "sameness" of the event over the past few years. The houses are in the same soundstages, queue entrances and lines in the same locations, scarezones in the same spots.

If you've ever had a route that you take on a regular basis (i.e. your walk to school, drive to work, etc) and done it in reverse, you'll find that the familiar can quickly become unfamiliar. It sounds to me that, instead of expanding the footprint of the entire event, we might first try a little bit of a "refresh." While there are a finite number of locations for houses, the soundstages have plenty of room to try something new. Maybe re-route the queue lines a bit, move house entrances to new spots and pick a new location or two for scarezones. I think we'd all be surprised how "new" and refreshing the event might be with just a little bit of change.

That's true actually, If they changed how queue lines and things were set up, I think it will give the event some needed "freshness"

I kinda wish the music videos in the queues came back, like in 2008, I remember going to interstellar terror, they had a screen with music videos, that was fun