HHN XXI Wishful Thinking

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wishful Thinking - And I'm saying this only because I seriously doubt it would EVER happen because it's just too meta.

A chainsaw scarezone through Central Park with logging equipment framing the entrances on both sides, to include a large flatbed with lumber falling off the back. The scareactors would be dressed as lumberjacks during the daylight hours, but would put on wolf masks once the sun went down.

It would be called, "Chainsaw Wolves."

(Props if you understand the inspiration.)

That would be an awesome homage... and not a bad concept either.

Edited by JWFearman

Besides me wanting the event to go back to the Islands this year, there's one thing I'd absolutely love if they did it.

The first time I heard about Halloween Horror Nights was through the Art of the Scare that played on the Travel Channel, I believe. That show literally made me drool when I watched it, and I watched every time it came on. I'd love for them to do another special on it, especially since it's come such a long way. Which is partly why I want the event back at the Islands, because it seemed so awesome there.

I've wanted them to do another special too. I didn't start attending HHN until 08, but after my first visit I became a rabid fan. It took me up until last year to find the Art of Scare on youtube. I would love to see a more current special on tv sometime soon; maybe something on HHN XX?

I've wanted them to do another special too. I didn't start attending HHN until 08, but after my first visit I became a rabid fan. It took me up until last year to find the Art of Scare on youtube. I would love to see a more current special on tv sometime soon; maybe something on HHN XX?

I don't think they filmed anything last year.

Wishful Thinking - And I'm saying this only because I seriously doubt it would EVER happen because it's just too meta.

A chainsaw scarezone through Central Park with logging equipment framing the entrances on both sides, to include a large flatbed with lumber falling off the back. The scareactors would be dressed as lumberjacks during the daylight hours, but would put on wolf masks once the sun went down.

It would be called, "Chainsaw Wolves."

(Props if you understand the inspiration.)

That would be AWESOME.

Mae

Besides me wanting the event to go back to the Islands this year, there's one thing I'd absolutely love if they did it.

The first time I heard about Halloween Horror Nights was through the Art of the Scare that played on the Travel Channel, I believe. That show literally made me drool when I watched it, and I watched every time it came on. I'd love for them to do another special on it, especially since it's come such a long way. Which is partly why I want the event back at the Islands, because it seemed so awesome there.

Heh... I'm in that. They filmed our rehearsal for ScreamHouse, and you can see me wearing a blue polo in the background of one of the shots. I hated them filming the houses though, because the rigs the used lit the place up like a sun and killed more scares than I would care to admit.

anyone else thinks that the Movie Army of Darkness should have gotten its own house in 09?

I mean the movie has a lot that could have been done in HHN, the army is just a bunch of bones, I am glad they had a room for it but, I really think the movie or the trilogy deserved their own house.

Well, maybe Evil dead would have been a little harder, but, Army of Darkness is right up HHN's alley, specially sets and monsters wise,

It could have even been the funny/cheesy house of that year, I know I would had prefer an army of darkness house than leave it to cleaver, that would have been a thousand times better... :unsure:

anyone else thinks that the Movie Army of Darkness should have gotten its own house in 09?

I mean the movie has a lot that could have been done in HHN, the army is just a bunch of bones, I am glad they had a room for it but, I really think the movie or the trilogy deserved their own house.

Well, maybe Evil dead would have been a little harder, but, Army of Darkness is right up HHN's alley, specially sets and monsters wise,

It could have even been the funny/cheesy house of that year, I know I would had prefer an army of darkness house than leave it to cleaver, that would have been a thousand times better... :unsure:

They had some rights issues. That's why the poster in the Universal Palace did not read Army of Darkness. Originally they were going to do an entire scarezone based on the film as well. This was changed to Lights, Camera, Hacktion. But as an homage they made the name of the Hacktion director "Mas Imair" an anagram of Army of Darkness director Sam Raimi.

They had some rights issues. That's why the poster in the Universal Palace did not read Army of Darkness. Originally they were going to do an entire scarezone based on the film as well. This was changed to Lights, Camera, Hacktion. But as an homage they made the name of the Hacktion director "Mas Imair" an anagram of Army of Darkness director Sam Raimi.

that just sucks, <_< That would have made 09 different, I liked Lights, Camera, Hacktion but, not that much, it just wasn't that great, wel anyways, I guess we were lucky to have the room in silver screams... but that sucks, that would have been great

I didn't know that about Army of Darkness!!!

I have to admit, I wasn't a huge fan of Lights, Camera, Hackstion. It wasnt bad, it just wasnt anything special/out of the ordinary for me. Nothing personal to anybody who was apart of it.

There's a couple of movies I wondered why they didn't incorperate into the 09 movie theme. I would have loved to see something to do with Hannibal Lecter!!

I have to admit, I wasn't a huge fan of Lights, Camera, Hackstion. It wasnt bad, it just wasnt anything special/out of the ordinary for me. Nothing personal to anybody who was apart of it.

that's exactly what I feel, I know people that worked there worked really hard, the actors like always are great no matter what,

is just the concept felt poor to me, and having scareactors as victims, I have never like that, seems like a waste of a scare to me, well, none of the 09 scarezones were that good, I liked the movie one but, containment and the others were not that cool in concept, Army of darkness scarezone would have been pretty amazing

Edited by black7mask

BY the time I got over to Containment, it was the end of the night so the fog machines weren't going anymore so I didnt get the full effect of it :( I did see actors tho....I imagine if I had seen all the elements put together, I would have been alot more impressed than I was initially.

I haven't been super impressed by a scarezone since 08. Nothing in 09 really caught my eye, and only a couple really tickled my fancy last year. I definitely think HHN needs to step up with their scarezones. Like I said before though, definitely no insult meant to the actors who worked in them. I've never expierienced a bad scare actor in the scarezones (unless you count the Chuck and the Jack who refused to take a picture with me >< That was definitely uncool lol)

BY the time I got over to Containment, it was the end of the night so the fog machines weren't going anymore so I didnt get the full effect of it.

Apparently they had some foam machines going to at one point. But I don't know of anyone who got the full effect. :P

I really loved that concept but it fell short. The costumes were top-notch. I don't know why the fog just wasn't there.

Apparently they had some foam machines going to at one point. But I don't know of anyone who got the full effect. :P

I really loved that concept but it fell short. The costumes were top-notch. I don't know why the fog just wasn't there.

I experienced the foam in Containment. However, the fog was *never* thick enough throughout the entire run.

BY the time I got over to Containment, it was the end of the night so the fog machines weren't going anymore so I didnt get the full effect of it :( I did see actors tho....I imagine if I had seen all the elements put together, I would have been alot more impressed than I was initially.

I haven't been super impressed by a scarezone since 08. Nothing in 09 really caught my eye, and only a couple really tickled my fancy last year. I definitely think HHN needs to step up with their scarezones. Like I said before though, definitely no insult meant to the actors who worked in them. I've never expierienced a bad scare actor in the scarezones (unless you count the Chuck and the Jack who refused to take a picture with me >< That was definitely uncool lol)

I had a similar experience last year, I kept trying to take pics of a scareactor in esqueleto muerte, the guy at the beginning with stilts, But, I was trying to take a pic of him, not with me or anything, and he kept turning around giving me his back, I tried like twice but he kept turning :/

And about the scarezones you are right, 2008 had the Best scarezones for me, they were amazing, but some of the houses in 08 were disappointing, bloody mary, Interstellar terror, creatures, not very good houses, and I mean Doomsday, Were they kidding? anyways, It seems they get amazing scarezones and so-so houses, or amazing houses and so-so scarezones, 09 the scarezones were so-so but the houses were really amazing, Last year we got both amazing houses and amazing scarezones,

To be honest, I'm getting rather bored of the event being at Universal. I mean, I love the event and I will continue to go, but I feel like the park itself is very bland. The houses are not really included in this, because those are great, but the scare zones, for me, have been iffy. I mean they've all been in the same spots, and there always structured in similar ways. Maybe it's just me, and since I've ONLY experienced the event at Universal it just feels a little worn out. I guess it's just me dying to have the event at the other park, and I know I've said it a lot but I really think it's time for the Islands to get it's turn with HHN.

The scarezones when HHN was at IOA in my opinion were still the best i've seen. JP Extinction and Island Under Siege were incredible. There was so much going in Island Under Siege that you didn't know where to look first. Even the foam tower they used in Treaks and Foons was cool. And even til this day my favorite scarezone is JP Extinction. I mean there was so much hiding space to be utilized in Jurassic Park that you didn't know which way the scare was going to come from. They popped out of the bushes and even behind the JP archway when you were walking in or out of Jurassic Park. HHN back at the Islands again would be AWESOME...!

Edited by HORRORLANDO

I got the full effect of foam in my nose constanty ;)

To be honest, I'm getting rather bored of the event being at Universal. I mean, I love the event and I will continue to go, but I feel like the park itself is very bland. The houses are not really included in this, because those are great, but the scare zones, for me, have been iffy. I mean they've all been in the same spots, and there always structured in similar ways. Maybe it's just me, and since I've ONLY experienced the event at Universal it just feels a little worn out. I guess it's just me dying to have the event at the other park, and I know I've said it a lot but I really think it's time for the Islands to get it's turn with HHN.

I've also only experienced the event at Universal, but I feel that the studios is a better park to have it at. Overall, I think IOA is a better park, and certainly better themed, but the theming in several areas is way too specific to allow much variety in the themes at A&D can use, not to mention half of the park would have to be scarezone free (Potter and Seuss). I know this has all been said before, but I really think Universal Studio's lack of specific theming allows for more creativity with adding props. Since most of the areas in Universal are just city streets they can be anything. I'd love a JP scarezone but that's all I think IOA has going for it when it comes to IOA.

Now to throw in some wishful thinking. I like what Legacy has said when it comes to what direction the event is heading. Hopefully Rock It will be open this time to suck up some crowds. A special Halloween soundtrack may be something in the far future but hopefully they will change the lights on the outside to fit the theme, like they did for Mardi Gras. Keep having excessive fog like Sting Alley and the pumpkin area had last year, do more houses like Catacombs and Havoc, and I'll be a happy camper!

(I haven't posted anything HHN related on here in a while...this was fun, I should start doing it again)

I think both parks have their pros and cons. But I believe they can still use IOA very well depending on the theme. I honestly can't see them putting 2005's event at Universal. But as for the scare zones, I have to disagree with the theming. Potter could be themed for Halloween with pumpkins, and the area been HP and Seuss could be a scare zone. Universal has it's empty spots as well As for the areas being too heavily themed, I agree but also disagree. They could transform areas with lighting and props pretty easily. Really, just depends on the overall theme of the event. Universal just has very straight paths and although it can be themed, theres only so much you can change around every year with how the zone is set up.

Although, a scare zone on that bridge towards the back of the park would be pretty cool and new.

Edited by Goo

I've tried to figure out, for years, why they don't put a scarezone in the World Expo. I focused on the area some last year when I would walk through and I figured out why: There are no "sidewalks." The next time you walk through there, you'll notice that the design is just a flat patio, plus those steps leading down to the lagoon. It's a safety issue. With no "safe zones" and a spot that people will undoubtedly run to and fall at, we will probably never see the World Expo get the good "circus" or "alien" themed scarezone it deserves. Putting a scarezone on a bridge causes the same issues (no scarezone) plus forces a massive logjam of fleeing guests and roving scareactors. Believe me, I want to see it. I've envisioned scarezones for that area since 2002. Logistically, however, it's too much of a liability for it to happen.

I can't even begin to describe how much I miss the event at Islands. 2002 was my first experience with the event, and the concepts for each scarezone, though predictable, was so effectively done it became the ultimate in what the event could be. Marvel Villains taking over? Check. Twisted Toons in Toon Lagoon? Check. Sparking security gates and rampaging dinos? Check. Orcs and Dragons? Check. Even Suess Landing was effectively turned the unnerving and disturbing Boo-Ville with random Grinch sightings.

Each subsequent year I attended (2003-2004), some the themes felt shoe-horned and none were as effective. Hide and Shriek was a nice idea that is ineffective as a scarezone. The I loved the Jungle of Doom house, the scarezone was just awkward. Containment? That was just ToxicCity 2.0. In 2003, Lost Continent was the Party Zone; 2004 was Marvel. Point being, there are a lot of limits in what can be done at Islands. Yes, it's better themed and yes, the narrower paths make the scarezones that much more effective. However, there is potential for so much more variety at the Studios, which is what A&D needs. There are two consistently used streets that are literally blank canvases (Shrek Alley and where Esquilito was, which I can never remember). Hollywood, New York and San Fran are all big enough and visually different enough that different concepts can be built and overlaid with little concern for location (they built a warehouse in Hollywood).

It would be nice to see the event at Islands again and as has been stated, when the theme allows it will return. That is vitally important. The theme HAS to allow it. There is no potential for variation at Islands. Let's not forget that Marvel (Disney) holds rights over what is done on MSHI as well, so that limits the park to 2.5 islands (What's left of Lost Continent being the half) and the Port of Entry. It will probably be a long time before it ever occurs, and even then, if you missed 2002 you probably missed the best that HHN at IoA has to offer.

I never experienced HHN at IOA, so I really don't know, just talking here,

but, Universal has a lot of empty spaces, all the way from MIB to ET is totally empty, that's half the park, and then, in front of the Mummy is usually empty, the scarezones there are in the sides, so Uni has a lot of empty spaces as well, like I said I dont know about IOA, but, the scarezones are not that big, i dont know........ :mellow: