HHN XX Event Photos and Videos

HHNiP

Tonight was not my night for photos. First, I left the camera battery at the park, so then my dad had to take the battery to the exit turnstiles. So then I take some photos while it's still light, got some nice shots. Nightfall comes. My camera has dozens of different settings (none of which I know greatly about), but I usually kept it on either ISO or WB. Tnen I would change between "Night", "Standard", "Motion", and "Sun". None of those worked out too well. Then I went into the VIP Lounge and took a lot of really clear shot, so apparently I just didn't have it on the right night time settings when out in the streets. Then, as the night went on, the camera quality/clearness got worse. The major problem was blurrieness and shaking. I have a Sony DSLR A-100. If anyone can tell me what I should fix or am doing wrong, please tell me!

My very few good photos will be up shortly.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight was not my night for photos. First, I left the camera battery at the park, so then my dad had to take the battery to the exit turnstiles. So then I take some photos while it's still light, got some nice shots. Nightfall comes. My camera has dozens of different settings (none of which I know greatly about), but I usually kept it on either ISO or WB. Tnen I would change between "Night", "Standard", "Motion", and "Sun". None of those worked out too well. Then I went into the VIP Lounge and took a lot of really clear shot, so apparently I just didn't have it on the right night time settings when out in the streets. Then, as the night went on, the camera quality/clearness got worse. The major problem was blurrieness and shaking. I have a Sony DSLR A-100. If anyone can tell me what I should fix or am doing wrong, please tell me!

My very few good photos will be up shortly.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've learned a lot over the past 4 weeks.

A lot of it has to do with the aperture of your lens. If it doesn't get down to at least 1.7-1.8... you are going to have a lot of problems with blurriness and you will have to use some kind of flash which can be problematic with fog. The first night I went through with a 3.5 and the pictures were all slightly blurry as everyone has to hold very still. I came back through with a 1.4 I rented at the Lens Depot and I got really awesome shots with no flash and nearly no light. However something that wide has a short focal point and you will always get soft edges. Even with the 1.4... We took 400 pictures and maybe 50 of them came out well. (Kira Girl took better pictures on a whole than I... I tend to shake a bit). HHN is just not conducive to great pictures with the fog, dark, and people running around with anything short of a super wide aperture lens... or a remote flash.

Guest FL Universal Jax

Ok, so I finally got on the ball and found some time to upload my pics to Flickr. You can check out my pictures here. Below are a few that came out really good in my opinion. I uploaded night time shots, as well as VIP Lounge, UTH Tour, and day time scare zone pics. Of course, many more will come throughout the duration of the event.

Please feel free to comment or ask questions.

5075652544_6d4e5eed24.jpg

5075752438_f4fb3aa91b.jpg

5075138991_edc8871133.jpg

5075738228_d3380147dc.jpg

5075735278_e040d75797.jpg

5075730988_37ea9792b4.jpg

5075130519_64f1bfee2c.jpg

5075146485_c79b9c741b.jpg

5075149653_4edf8a99aa.jpg

5075650484_6d6b7b4c76.jpg

5075166467_50b433c84b.jpg

5075555010_a3d61f2bf2.jpg

5075560264_ea8b3b1bf3.jpg

5074969173_6327f7253e.jpg

5074976679_e0845f190d.jpg

5074974719_68b0ab3787.jpg

5074987497_cd525e2512.jpg

5074989157_8130454f2e.jpg

5075634310_f55e58e834.jpg

Edited by FL Universal Jax

Wow! Absolutely incredible shots, guys!

Chemowasabi, for not having the lens you "wanted" to use, you still took fantastic pics! Can't wait to see what you'll do when you have your ideal equipment. I love that gallery interface, too. What is that, if you don't mind me asking?

Wes, your shots are spectacular, as always! Your Esqueleto Muerte shots are inspiring me to turn my flash off!

Edited by BigChippah

My photos from the UTH tour can be found here

I just have a point and click Canon so nothing spectacular, sorry. But we did get to go into the Hallow'd Past instead of LT because the guys from Ghost Hunters were doing something in the LT house when we were supposed to go through it so that was kind of cool. Anyway, thought I would share them.

Chemowasabi, for not having the lens you "wanted" to use, you still took fantastic pics! Can't wait to see what you'll do when you have your ideal equipment. I love that gallery interface, too. What is that, if you don't mind me asking?

I would love to have access to the 85mm 1.4 again, and I might be able to get ahold of it here soon...as my time working for UNI is almost at an end, it'll give me a chance to come out and play hopefully at least one more time (including, possibly, Halloween...for a very important/special reason) Thank you for the thoughts on the pics. to me, just knowing what I can do given enough time, they were a bit too blurry for me, although i'm glad I can still hold a camera steady at a 15th, the fact that the subjects normally move kinda makes it a moot point.

The interface is just me C+P the base flickr set address from the location bar. Nothing really fancy to it. Just seems to load nicely into this forum interface.

Guest FL Universal Jax

I am really enjoying the pics this year from HHN. I am seeing better and better photos appearing each and every year. People will thank you one day when they look back at your pics and recall a great memory from HHN!

To the many posters who have posted pics in here, outstanding job and keep em' coming!

See you guys tonight.

Guest FL Universal Jax

Here are my shots from October 9th and 10th. My camera wasn't set on the right settings on the 9th, so 99% of them turned out blurry. But fortunatley, there was a guy (who was a big time photo guy) and helped me get my camera on the right setting. Unfortunatley, a lot of the shots still turned out blurry that night.

Dont worry about some photos not coming out. Even professional photographers will tell you that ten pics our of a 1000 will be good for them when it comes to nighttime photography. Night shooting is an extremely hard medium to undertake. The best way to learn though is to keep on shooting. Also, feel free to ask questions if that would help.

Edited by FL Universal Jax

Dont worry about some photos not coming out. Even professional photographers will tell you that ten pics our of a 1000 will be good for them when it comes to nighttime photography. Night shooting is an extremely hard medium to undertake. The best way to learn though is to keep on shooting. Also, feel free to ask questions if that would help.

I would have taken a lot more shots, but unfortunately, my cousin really hated me taking pictures in the scarezones. So I either felt uncomfortable when taking the pictures, or couldn't even do it because he was yelling at me so much. 18 year old in college > 13 year old in middle school. :lol: Oh well. But yeah, I basically live by the "take 100 get 1 nice" motto when photographing. Next year..............