HHN XX Jobs & Auditions

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this year is going to be a lot of fun. with auditions in a week, things are really gonna start setting in that haunt seasons upon us. im really looking forward to seeing everyone again and making new friends. meeting so many people is one of the best reasons to do this.

I plan to audition and be available full time, however I would like to attend the event a night or two as a guest. How have those of you who've worked in the past handled this? Will they hold it against me if I ask for just a day or two off?

Edited by Skittles

I plan to audition and be available full time, however I would like to attend the event a night or two as a guest. How have those of you who've worked in the past handled this? Will they hold it against me if I ask for just a day or two off?

Skittles, the casting directors look at you from many angles to determine whether they want to hire you. One of these is your availability. You have to make sure that you can work alot of the nights of HHN. This is not to say you can't request a few days off, we all do, but I wouldn't request anymore than two. My rule of thumb has always been to take one Saturday off for the UF-LSU game and call in sick for another night that I want to attend. You get one call in sick, this may vary so if someone wants to correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I remember being told. Also don't forget ABU or Fire Crew, you won't be in a set cast, but you only need to come in 7 or 8 times, again if I am wrong, will someone correct me, and you get to keep your seasonal status and all that comes with that. These days can be at your disposal and if you show up and don't get placed, then you still get credit, not money tho :), for that night and you can just attend if you so choose. Good luck! :D

So, I have a question about auditioning, but not as an actor... if that makes sense. I'm a makeup artist, and I think I just might kill or at the very least maim to work the event. I filled out my application and sent it in last week, but I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know what their turnaround time is for technical positions? The audition date is the 13th for 'my people' so to speak, and I'm getting a wee concerned. Yes, there's a secondary date on the 20th, but if at all possible, I'd like to get in on the first date - I know they fill their technical spots quickly.

So, condensed - does anyone know approximately when I can expect someone to contact me? :unsure:

So, I have a question about auditioning, but not as an actor... if that makes sense. I'm a makeup artist, and I think I just might kill or at the very least maim to work the event. I filled out my application and sent it in last week, but I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know what their turnaround time is for technical positions? The audition date is the 13th for 'my people' so to speak, and I'm getting a wee concerned. Yes, there's a secondary date on the 20th, but if at all possible, I'd like to get in on the first date - I know they fill their technical spots quickly.

So, condensed - does anyone know approximately when I can expect someone to contact me? :unsure:

Phoenix, I am not going to even pretend to know b/c I am a SA, but I would imagine that you won't hear anything until you audition. I know it gets pretty hectic now with auditions coming up once a week for the next few months. I remember when I got hired my first year, granted it was for SA, it was a pain in the balls trying to get a hold of someone or them returning my calls to figure out the next steps. I would try to see how much info I could get at auditions. Maybe someone else can shine some like who has worked the tech side? Maybe the have better communicators. :P Good luck! Hopefully you do my make up, so I can see whatcha got!

Just a question for you veteran SAs I just thought of...Back in 2007, I had the chance to go to HHN more than once. During my second trip, I wanted to take friends to Psychoscarepy Home for the Holidays, but when we approached, the House was closed. I always wondered what would cause them to actually CLOSE a house? I can't think of anything portion of HftH that would have been "technical difficulties." So would you have any answers from experience on what may have caused the closure?

Skittles, the casting directors look at you from many angles to determine whether they want to hire you. One of these is your availability. You have to make sure that you can work alot of the nights of HHN. This is not to say you can't request a few days off, we all do, but I wouldn't request anymore than two. My rule of thumb has always been to take one Saturday off for the UF-LSU game and call in sick for another night that I want to attend. You get one call in sick, this may vary so if someone wants to correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I remember being told. Also don't forget ABU or Fire Crew, you won't be in a set cast, but you only need to come in 7 or 8 times, again if I am wrong, will someone correct me, and you get to keep your seasonal status and all that comes with that. These days can be at your disposal and if you show up and don't get placed, then you still get credit, not money tho :), for that night and you can just attend if you so choose. Good luck! :D

Yes, you should still have a good shot at being cast if you ask for 2 nights off. Obviously the more available you are, the more attractive of an applicant you become.

As far as using a sick night in order to attend the event..... do NOT do this. If they see you in the park you can and probably will be terminated.

Lastly, if you are cast as an Active Back-up, you will need to show up ready to work at least 5 nights in order to keep your employment with Universal (this number can and may change). If you are cast for FireCrew, you are expected to be there for every night that you said that you would be available. In most cases, FireCrew members only have a few (if any) days off.

Edited by BruinsFan

Just a question for you veteran SAs I just thought of...Back in 2007, I had the chance to go to HHN more than once. During my second trip, I wanted to take friends to Psychoscarepy Home for the Holidays, but when we approached, the House was closed. I always wondered what would cause them to actually CLOSE a house? I can't think of anything portion of HftH that would have been "technical difficulties." So would you have any answers from experience on what may have caused the closure?

Other than technical problems, safety concerns are a major factor in a house closing. Last year, the soundstages flooded and had to be evacuated. Guests/actors sometimes have health problems, etc. Things like that happen every year.

Yes, you should still have a good shot at being cast if you ask for 2 nights off. Obviously the more available you are, the more attractive of a applicant you become.

As far as using a sick night in order to attend the event..... do NOT do this. If they see you in the park you can and probably will be terminated.

Lastly, if you are cast as an Active Back-up, you will need to show up ready to work at least 5 nights in order to keep your employment with Universal (this number can and may change). If you are cast for FireCrew, you are expected to be there for every night that you said that you would be available. In most cases, FireCrew members only have a few (if any) days off.

Regarding the sick day, I did get that backwards. Take the day off on the schedule for the event and take the sick day to go to UF-LSU. Hopefully the higher ups are not at the game. :P. But as I understood it, this is a one time pass, but of course do it at your own risk and use common sense.

Regarding the sick day, I did get that backwards. Take the day off on the schedule for the event and take the sick day to go to UF-LSU. Hopefully the higher ups are not at the game. :P. But as I understood it, this is a one time pass, but of course do it at your own risk and use common sense.

Or when you start working, you can talk to your ASM and request a day off. Usually, they're very flexible with accomodating if you have a good reason to ask off.

Earlier in the event there are more ABUs available and not many shifts to fill. The longer the event goes, the bigger the need for ABUs as people always drop out. Sometimes after the first night. If you're an ABU and find a location or a cast that you enjoy working with, chances are you can finish out the run in the location if they lose people. A lot of times you can request a particular house or street when it gets closer to the end of the event if you get in good with the performance captains.

Bottom line is that I've never worked for an ASM that hasn't been more than accomodating when it comes to working with your schedule if you need a day or two off. Obviously, if you aren't a reliable team member, this won't be the case because they are under a lot of pressure to make sure things run smoothly. So basically, work hard, show up on time, listen to your performance captains, and always help out other scareactors both on and off your cast.

I hope that helps out if people have inquiries. I don't think I've said anything that much different than other veterans. For those that are auditioning, break a leg. Welcome back to former scareactors and those who are auditioning for the first time. Being a scareactor means you're becoming a part of a special fraternity that many would love to have the opportunity to be in.

Got my sign off today, W00T!

As far as middle-aged SAs, well, I'm middle-aged, and so is C_D, my tag out is older than me, and one of our ABUs, who has become a friend of mine, is older than me as well. Yes, most people are in their 20s or 30s, but there are plenty of people over 40 or older. If you fit the body type, you'll be cast, and remember, you can be cast for a mask role. My ABU friend was a zombie on my cast-wearing a mask, but also a short skirt. She happened to be the proper size for the costume.

When you audition, there is a space for availability on the audition sheet. Even if you don't fill out anything (and I will probably note 2 days to attend the event), you are given the chance to request days off when you first start rehearsals. Remember to request them right away, because days off requests are usually closed a week or two after the event starts, or at least that's how it was in my area. Remember that they understand the cast wanting to attend as well, so one or two days to do so isn't a big deal.

I keep waffling on the idea of going and auditioning...

My 2 main concerns:

Already work a full time job from 7-5.

Afraid I wont get a chance to actually go to the event.

Maybe I should go and see what they say anyway... even getting the audition off will require me calling in sick xD

Edited by JWFearman

I'm sure it says somewhere on here already, but my internet is being incredibly finicky on what it will and will not let me view today, which includes the audition site for HHN.

SO my question is... Does anyone know the first date to audition as a house or street actor? I know there is one on the 13th, but is that the first? Or is there one before?

My 2 main concerns:

1. I know quite a number of people who have full time jobs that also work horror nights. They seem tired during the run but they have just as much fun as everyone else. The gig is only for a month so it's a temporary strain on yourself.

That being said, working the event is very tiring physically and mentally. It is a lot of fun though and an entirely unique experience.

2. When you go to the audition you'll be given a form that will have every event night listed. You can mark off which nights you would like to take off. Your availability is a key factor in whether or not you are chosen. If you request many nights (5+) off your odds of being hired are reduced. However, if you have a commonly used body type you would still have a good chance of being chosen for Active Back-up.

You should be able to request a night or two off without it impacting your ability to be hired.

My 2 main concerns:

Maybe I should go and see what they say anyway... even getting the audition off will require me calling in sick xD

I feel your pain. I'm constantly exhausted for about six weeks, but I still love it. Be realistic with your availability. If you work till 5, don't say you can be there at 5. Your availability will determine your call time. If you aren't available until 6, put that. It will limit what role you can get, but better to be honest than be late every day. I'd recommend going to the first audition and getting there super early.

I'm hoping I get everything set before auditions, but it doesn't look like it'll happen....

Still looking for all the necessary papers. We've got 50000000 copies of my grandparents' death certificates, but no copies of my birth certificate?

My 2 main concerns:

1.) i live an hour away and work full time. i'd haul ass after getting off work and luckily didn't have to sign in till 7 for a cast be street. i didn't sleep much and once had to leave early because i physically wouldn't have made it home. i work retail so i didn't have weekends off either. im telling you though, its absolutely worth it.

2.) ill say with this, i was lucky enough. i could do all the houses and sz's before my time to sign in came. even after, people in my cast went off and did some houses, though i could never get the makeup off my body fast enough. ACOC makeup was killer. getting a night off wouldn't be difficult either, just ask and be straight forward.

I am so excited to audition this year, and since I already work at USF (at a ride that has a theme of scaring guests) I got signed off and everything already!

However,

Does anyone know the concrete date and time for internal or reunion auditions?

Also,

I do scare guests while working, but I dont talk to them. I sneak up on them and stare creepily. (Yay big blue eyes!) I think my voice is terrible and annoying (hahaha), but I dont want to do just stand there during auditions! Any helpful hints to make me sound less dumb?! :P

Thanks!

SlasHer

I am so excited to audition this year, and since I already work at USF (at a ride that has a theme of scaring guests) I got signed off and everything already!

However,

Does anyone know the concrete date and time for internal or reunion auditions?

Also,

I do scare guests while working, but I dont talk to them. I sneak up on them and stare creepily. (Yay big blue eyes!) I think my voice is terrible and annoying (hahaha), but I dont want to do just stand there during auditions! Any helpful hints to make me sound less dumb?! :P

Thanks!

SlasHer

hints...haha, read this thread! everything you need to know, and then some has been said. your all set. otherwise feel free toPM any of us.

hints...haha, read this thread! everything you need to know, and then some has been said. your all set. otherwise feel free toPM any of us.

Haha, yeah, I have been reading! Thoroughly! I was just wondering if anyone had any other advice! Thank you! :)

Haha, yeah, I have been reading! Thoroughly! I was just wondering if anyone had any other advice! Thank you! :)

Be yourself. Unfortunately it is that simple. Wish they was some really cool and creative way, but for auditions, because it varies on what they want you to do, it's hard to say. My first audition they had us scare them, but my second, we were asked what our favorite part of HHN was. Then when you get hired and are on set, you can find your own way. But the best advice I can give has already been said and that's DO NOT TOUCH THE TABLE! :P Also, I would say that the ratio for success at the audition is 50%-Physical Appearance, 25%-Availability and 25%-Personality. I am sure some people will disagree with me, but again, it's only my opinion.

Be yourself. Unfortunately it is that simple. Wish they was some really cool and creative way, but for auditions, because it varies on what they want you to do, it's hard to say. My first audition they had us scare them, but my second, we were asked what our favorite part of HHN was. Then when you get hired and are on set, you can find your own way. But the best advice I can give has already been said and that's DO NOT TOUCH THE TABLE! :P Also, I would say that the ratio for success at the audition is 50%-Physical Appearance, 25%-Availability and 25%-Personality. I am sure some people will disagree with me, but again, it's only my opinion.

Wonderful! Thanks! (: I will definetly make a triple note of NOT TOUCHING THE TABLE Keep fingers crossed for me! :D