Evil's Roots

Mark M.

• 1 month later...

I do this thing called "Bench Surfing" where I observe the scarezones by zigzagging the zone across the benches and curbs in a figure 8 (a pointy one).

My favorite scare ever in a scarezone to watch was in American Gothic. The tree guy who was standing in the dark next to a tree on stilts, dressed like a tree, being a tree, and leaping out at people got EVERYBODY. S/he jumped out at one out of every 50 people or something but got every single one of them. 

It was interesting to see.... It led me to theories on fear. Women scream, men go to Fight mode. The outlier was the one group of girls who literally fell to the ground. I cannot explain that in evolutionary terms, except that .... I don't know... Don't breed with them? 

That is to say ...... I'm happy the hiding trees came back this year because I think it's one of the purest expressions of fear that comes from HHN, because you guys were either there then gone or just making that sound (THAT SOUND)...... So it wasn't like a normal jump scare where you get to look at the thing that jumped at you and then feel safe because clearly Shrek isn't actually going to kill you.

But that tree .... There may be another one ... and another one .... and another one.....

So at first I was honestly pissed a little that this won scarezone of the year vs. public/my opinion (and of course those are different) but now that I think about it ... In all five thousand visits to this scarezone I was definitely on edge the whole time. I didn't get any Scares this year, here or otherwise, but I definitely never felt immune from it in this scare zone, and that's saying something. The whole time it felt like with an even lazily-put-together-effort or just an accident I could've been bounced through this zone ...... Kudos for Dread. 

• Like 2

I'm really happy this scarezone won. Granted I saw it coming. Dark, low visibility, claustrophobic, has the true halloween feel to it. The zone is also small in cast numbers so they don't have to worry about losing so much of their cast as a larger zone does. 

Good job guys. :) 

• Like 1

I do this thing called "Bench Surfing" where I observe the scarezones by zigzagging the zone across the benches and curbs in a figure 8 (a pointy one).

My favorite scare ever in a scarezone to watch was in American Gothic. The tree guy who was standing in the dark next to a tree on stilts, dressed like a tree, being a tree, and leaping out at people got EVERYBODY. S/he jumped out at one out of every 50 people or something but got every single one of them. 

It was interesting to see.... It led me to theories on fear. Women scream, men go to Fight mode. The outlier was the one group of girls who literally fell to the ground. I cannot explain that in evolutionary terms, except that .... I don't know... Don't breed with them? 

That is to say ...... I'm happy the hiding trees came back this year because I think it's one of the purest expressions of fear that comes from HHN, because you guys were either there then gone or just making that sound (THAT SOUND)...... So it wasn't like a normal jump scare where you get to look at the thing that jumped at you and then feel safe because clearly Shrek isn't actually going to kill you.

But that tree .... There may be another one ... and another one .... and another one.....

So at first I was honestly pissed a little that this won scarezone of the year vs. public/my opinion (and of course those are different) but now that I think about it ... In all five thousand visits to this scarezone I was definitely on edge the whole time. I didn't get any Scares this year, here or otherwise, but I definitely never felt immune from it in this scare zone, and that's saying something. The whole time it felt like with an even lazily-put-together-effort or just an accident I could've been bounced through this zone ...... Kudos for Dread. 

That girl that fell to the ground was probably me. LOL. I don't know why but I think my body goes "GET AS SMALL AS YOU CAN AND THEY'LL LEAVE". 

• Like 1

So, this zone won for best?  It should!  I couldn't get enough of it - we kept walking through it back and forth as many times as possible.  Plus, we got married there - in the grass with the pumpkins and the big scarecrow looking things.  I'll always remember this scare zone.  And Pumpkinhead.. my favorite.  I know you're on here, bud - so who are you?  Love to you, my friend.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

That girl that fell to the ground was probably me. LOL. I don't know why but I think my body goes "GET AS SMALL AS YOU CAN AND THEY'LL LEAVE". 

LOL! Finally an explanation for what could cause that evolutionarily (psh it's a word - shut up spell check!) .... But it wasn't you. Judging by your picture I think you're way older than that girl. ...... Not that you're old or anything!! This girl was just REALLY young. You don't look like you're .... 13 or something. 

Unless you are, and now I sound like a creep lol

PS - My buddy I went with is a 30 year old, probably at least 160, and it almost freaked him to the ground too..... I love the trees.

Edited by marchofprogress
Adding PS to make fun of KH if/when he sees this :)
  • Like 1

LOL! Finally an explanation for what could cause that evolutionarily (psh it's a word - shut up spell check!) .... But it wasn't you. Judging by your picture I think you're way older than that girl. ...... Not that you're old or anything!! This girl was just REALLY young. You don't look like you're .... 13 or something. 

Unless you are, and now I sound like a creep lol

PS - My buddy I went with is a 30 year old, probably at least 160, and it almost freaked him to the ground too..... I love the trees.

I mean I look like I'm 12 usually, but lol. I fell in there a couple times, it was by far my favorite.

• Mark M. changed the title to Evil's Roots