HHN XX Speculation

Mark M.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are other far more basic reasons of theme, style and presentation that make this a bad fit.

People aren't following the history of the two characters at all. They're just assuming "Julian was in a movie theater and Paulo directed movies! They would be great together!"

People, read.

I found the telephone conference where Roddy talked about the Director and Usher...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=10100212318079681

15:25 mark

This agruement cant officially die now

That's kind of funny because the "argument" wasn't even alive to begin with, as I basically agreed with you all along. I brought this all up to show why the Usher would most likely get his own house, which may include a scene with Kong.

That's kind of funny because the "argument" wasn't even alive to begin with, as I basically agreed with you all along. I brought this all up to show why the Usher would most likely get his own house, which may include a scene with Kong.

Hehe I know you where agreeing with me, I was just looking for prove cause this debate has been going on since last yr.

People aren't following the history of the two characters at all. They're just assuming "Julian was in a movie theater and Paulo directed movies! They would be great together!"

People, read.

I personally don't think that The Usher and The Director would work at all in a house. The Usher rips tickets and works in a movie theatre, The Director films/directs horrifying movies. Both on opposite sides of the movie business. I said this earlier and I will say it again, give The Usher his own house with horror movies that we all know and give The Director his own house with the movies that he has created. I forgot who said it but it sounded like a good idea, we could be in his next film. That would be a good story line.

Dr. ..... no BOB attacks please, I'm fragile. lol

@Andrew Ryan - Half the time ( I ) don't know what I mean.

Its not site related so please don't stay up on my account, but I do like candles. just sayin'

sweet dreams everyone, sweet dreams.

I think that if Universal HAS to put these two icons together, that their house is a multi story house. You can start off on the set of Paulo's newest film staring... US! some of the "prop" cameras can be real. About halfway through the house the film is ready to be shown and we exit the production stage to be at the entrance of the UPT which is having the premier screening for this film. this part of the house could actually be walking through the lobby, concessions, maybe behind the screen like the scene from SS last year, and then end up in the actual theater with rows of seats, scaractors portraying all of the people who died in the UPT from the 2009 website can be watching the movie and scaring us, and on the screen is Paulo's crazy, sepia-toned, montage-ish, snuf film with the actual shots of us walking through the house as part of it. just something i thought of while doing laundry.

LOVE this idea!!!!

Dr. ..... no BOB attacks please, I'm fragile. lol

@Andrew Ryan - Half the time ( I ) don't know what I mean.

Its not site related so please don't stay up on my account, but I do like candles. just sayin'

sweet dreams everyone, sweet dreams.

Well if its not site related, what is it?? And you like candles, Sweet 16?

It's actually a lot more complicated than that. Marian C. Cooper had been in a dispute with RKO for years over the rights to Kong which he as the creator of the ape claimed were his alone.

Universal had a verbal agreement with RKO to remake King Kong. Dino de Laurentiis bought the remake rights from RKO and Universal sued RKO. RKO counter-sued Universal, then de Larurentiis sued Universal.

Universal discovered that the novel King Kong based on the original screenplay but published a year ealier than the film was released had lapsed into public domain. They claimed they could film an adaptation of that book without infringing on RKO's copyright or deal with de Laurentiis.

Richard Cooper, the heir of the late Merian C. Coopper then sued RKO.

The judge found that:

1. RKO only held the rights to the two films King Kong and Son of Kong they had released in the 1930's.

2. The novel was in public domain and Universal could adapt it into a film if they wished.

3. Richard Cooper owned all other rights to the name and character of King Kong.

Universal had already made an out-of-court settlement with de Laurentiis for part of the profits of his King Kong movie, and so did not make a King Kong movie at that time.

Then in December of this same year (1976) Universal did in fact purchase all rights to King Kong except book and periodical rights from Richard Cooper.

Thus in 1982 they felt they had a claim against Nintendo over Donkey Kong, but in the course of their lawsuit they (that is their lawyers) acted in bad faith and the court ruled in favor of Nintendo. This was also largely due to the court's opinion that the public would hardly mistake Donkey Kong for King Kong and did not actually infringe on what copyrights Universal held.

But later, in 1986 de Laurentiis needed to receive Universal's permission to film a second Kong film.

At no time did Universal ever "prove" that King Kong was in the public domain.

All of this of course stays away from HHN 2010 speculation, but being a pedantic old Professor, I have a compulsion to correct inaccurate history. I apologize for the off-topic lapse.

I find it hard to belive that a big company like Universal would have lawyers with bad faith.

I still stand by my claim. Many gaming historians said this. Not I believe that Universal got the rights sometime in 86 though.

But back on topic. (Apologies if I was going off-topic.) I doubt the observation deck was refering to King Kong. Would'nt a King Kong house work better in a soundstage and not a sprung tent? Even though it would take millions of dollars to properly pull this off. Like I said before I think this could mean a space or nautical theme.

Anyway I respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the director still alive? So if he is still alive how will he be part of a house with Julian in?

Seriously? Listen I love Horror Nights for the stories & depth but sometimes you have to realize it's just a Halloween event. Which icons are dead or what they're doing at this exact moment... it doesn't matter.

Edited by NightlifeMike

Seriously? Listen I love Horror Nights for the stories & depth but sometimes you have to realize it's just a Halloween event. Which icons are dead or what they're doing at this exact moment... it doesn't matter.

hundred bucks says the icons are reading this laughing :)

that or watching Boston lose :D

either way whether the icons are infact DEAD doesnt matter

its not gonna truly appeal with the GP because mostly all they care about is

oooooo look Jacks back his house is gonna be sick

oh my god the caretaker no way

blah blah blah blah blahh

its more or less the views of us horror fans that see between the lines of the icons

now i might not be apart of HHNO nor have i been to HHNO

but from being on the sister side of HHNH i can feel where everyone is coming from

Fact of the matter is the known history of the Icons can be added to and even changed by Uni in many ways. So the known history has little bearing on what direction Uni will go with then.

And I will leave you with this Tidbit.

The Shadows are a prelude to the real horror that awaits.

You know, I was looking at the old HHN19 website. I went back into the theater with the 3D junk, and realized that it was actually a really nice site in 09'. Here is what concerns me. If this is a reunion year (IF, you never know, well we do...but) I am wondering how they are going to incorporate the houses in advertisements on the new site. I mean, the past two years had such original content, minus the remake houses, which were in a very small amount surprisingly. I am not saying that I am dissapointed about the fact that we may have redo houses (and I realize that just because they are repeats does NOT mean that they lack originality from the previous houses), but I am concerned as to how they can top 08' and 09'. I personally have missed A LOT of classic houses, and cant wait to see them, but do you think that they will introduce Icons in "new houses" or simply have a remake of an old one. OR, is it possible that we may not see an icon house for each icon, and rather, have a house that incorporates all icons (this could be the museum house).

Fact of the matter is the known history of the Icons can be added to and even changed by Uni in many ways. So the known history has little bearing on what direction Uni will go with then.

And I will leave you with this Tidbit.

The shadows of the past, lead to the horrors of the present. Fantastical.

As for all this Kong talk. Love it. But I don't think that a Kong related house in a sprung tent would do it justice. Frightanic in the sprung might work, but it would also mean that the option of making it a "dual" house would be impossible. Nautical houses -can- be done in a cramped space, just not too amazingly. Look at Ship of Screams, from XIII.

I Think that The Director could become Possessed with the Usher's soul...

NOT

Just kidding :) But for real, I don't know if i would like to see the two icons in a house together, or each icon having their own house, this is a really difficult year because Both the Usher and The Director are awesome by themselves, by putting them together in the same event then is just not the same, i don't know, also After seeing Silver Screams and the Usher, i kinda wish that the Usher will handle movie Scenes from now on, I feel the Theater is much better to show movies, The Director is great of course, but i really would love to see him Direct his movie trough the house.

Yeah i didn't know the observation deck was in a tent, i missed that, is probably not Kong related, I just really wish they could use Kong in a way, if they have the stuff from Konfrontation, my biggest regret is not seeing Kong,

Also,about the Greek mythology stuff, I would really hate it if the icons turn out to be Greek Gods or something, I think it would really take away their uniqueness, I love their Icons for their uniqueness but if you add a back story then they become just become whatever the back story says, i would rather have the icons bring the Greek mythology out themselves or something

I personally don't think that The Usher and The Director would work at all in a house. The Usher rips tickets and works in a movie theatre, The Director films/directs horrifying movies. Both on opposite sides of the movie business. I said this earlier and I will say it again, give The Usher his own house with horror movies that we all know and give The Director his own house with the movies that he has created. I forgot who said it but it sounded like a good idea, we could be in his next film. That would be a good story line.

The Usher could be working the Directors "Premiere" ....or maybe its film festival showcasing his work...or maybe he is filming on location at the theater.

I personally agree with you Black7mask! (I don't know how to quote yet...) If the icons were given a Greek past, I think that would be too much back story. Personally, I think that we are all looking into this to literally. I think this is a clue so to speak. Now I'll just use some from the carnival of carnage... "Theater," now that could have been a number of things but it turns out it was dead silence. How about "knife throwing wheel?" That turned out to be Jason's house...etc. Now I know this has nothing to do with HHN XX or that those are clues and not rooms of a house, but you know what I'm getting at. Greek mythology- fairy tales (i.e scary tales, etc.) maybe? That's just my 2 cents of it all.

I personally feel the Icons being tied into an actual "Greek Mythology" past would be a bit too much. I don't think that's where we're headed.

I don't really see why Scary Tales could not be a Greek mythology house, however. They are all stories/tales. I did not see the original Scary Tales house, but did see the one a couple years ago. Were the fairy tales used in each the same ones or were they different?

I think that if Universal HAS to put these two icons together, that their house is a multi story house. You can start off on the set of Paulo's newest film staring... US! some of the "prop" cameras can be real. About halfway through the house the film is ready to be shown and we exit the production stage to be at the entrance of the UPT which is having the premier screening for this film. this part of the house could actually be walking through the lobby, concessions, maybe behind the screen like the scene from SS last year, and then end up in the actual theater with rows of seats, scaractors portraying all of the people who died in the UPT from the 2009 website can be watching the movie and scaring us, and on the screen is Paulo's crazy, sepia-toned, montage-ish, snuf film with the actual shots of us walking through the house as part of it. just something i thought of while doing laundry.

Brilliant idea!

Maybe the videos could then be sold to them as souvenirs as they leave the House!

It would beat the hell out of the "Photo of yourself on the roller coaster" souvenir idea!

Maybe in the queue line video or as you're passing through the theater, the Usher says things like, "Oh, I can't wait to see this movie, it's the biggest event this old theater has seen in decades!"

Im gonna throw this out there, i belive the character DARKNESS to be very relavent to this year. my reasoning: first off it is supposed to be a reunion, darkness is a general character who easily could bring them all together, secondly the first picture on the site is what looks like the newer version of darkness, thirdly "THIS FALL, A NEW ERA OF DARKNESS BEGINS AS THE NATIONS PREMIER HALLOWEEN EVENT TAKES TERROR TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL" his name is right there, and there is his picture. what if this year is a reunion with all the icons and DARKNESS and we learn his history maybe the greek house could be him, there are plenty of greek tales relating to the province of nightmares what if the A&D make darkness that province? just a thought......

Im gonna throw this out there, i belive the character DARKNESS to be very relavent to this year. my reasoning: first off it is supposed to be a reunion, darkness is a general character who easily could bring them all together, secondly the first picture on the site is what looks like the newer version of darkness, thirdly "THIS FALL, A NEW ERA OF DARKNESS BEGINS AS THE NATIONS PREMIER HALLOWEEN EVENT TAKES TERROR TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL" his name is right there, and there is his picture. what if this year is a reunion with all the icons and DARKNESS and we learn his history maybe the greek house could be him, there are plenty of greek tales relating to the province of nightmares what if the A&D make darkness that province? just a thought......

That's the 'Nightmare' character from the Islands of Fear year. Although it looks like the Djinn from Wishmaster a little bit in that angle. Darkness was first in the movie 'Legend', I don't think they'd change the character's design when it already has a familiar look.

But the choice of photographs is a little interesting though. Nightmare, the Pumpkin Scarecrows from 'Harvest of the Souls' and 'Fractured Tales' scarezones, Eelmouth (I think that was his name) the host of the Terra Queen sacrificial show, and finally the front door of the Caine home with Cindy's portrait showing through. I'm just happy the site finally updated and pricing on tickets and packages are finally available, makes my planning a lot easier now.