HHN XX Speculation

Mark M.

As I posted "over there", if you look at the original permit, there is a note at the bottom that references that same 1/27/2010 date about the plan documents being scanned. I think the SCN records just indicate that the drawings from the original permit have been scanned and provides a cross reference back to the original permit. There are other recent SCN records for other Universal projects such as Harry Potter, parade building construction, Mel's, etc.

Edited by JPH

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I posted "over there", if you look at the original permit, there is a note at the bottom that references that same 1/27/2010 date about the plan documents being scanned. I think the SCN records just indicate that the drawings from the original permit have been scanned and provides a cross reference back to the original permit. There are other recent SCN records for other Universal projects such as Harry Potter, parade building construction, Mel's, etc.

Oh I see I hadn't seen you post. In that instance this would mean nothing in regards to this year then.

If you go over and check "over there" the latest update suggests that both the RHPS and most importantly, the parade, will return this year. Again, even as suggested on that site, none of this is a done deal and is completely speculation...as is everything till we all see it with our own eyes opening night. ;)

These ongoing rumors of a parade, I can't take it...my poor little old school HHN heart just can't take it! ;)

Why can't you run attractions and the parade at the same time?

Operations....

You have Operations running the houses (crowd control), and shows... So if you do a parade you need crowd control again to make sure nobody walks infront of the floats.

UO only has so many Team members so you have to close more attractions.

I really think its stupid if UO does the parade cause the SZ will be in the way and other factors come to mind.

this parade sounds like a good idea but i wanna get the most out of the money that i plan to spend so they should open more houses...they have the material for at least 9 houses possibly 10 and even 5 or 6 scarezones

Edited by dante

The reason for the parade rumor is two part:

1.) Because Universal has renewed the trademark "Festival of the Dead"

2.) this bit of information

Halloween Horror Nights 2010 (HHN 2010) at Universal Studios Florida® and Islands of Adventure® will begin in September, 2010 and conclude on October 31, 2010. This spine-chilling attraction is always one of the area’s most popular events and is in fact one of the largest seasonal themed events of its kind in the country. It must be noted that this attraction is too intense for smaller children.

The Halloween Horror Nights 2010 activities include a Halloween parade, haunted homes, frightening scare zones, lively dead entertainment, and themed performances. This year’s occasion also includes a Rocky Horror Picture Show salute plus scary appearances by an array of monsters, beasts, ogres, hellions and devilish creatures.

popped up on this page.

It also reports that both parks will be utilized for the event. Oddly enough both videos it shows are from the Hollywood event.

Edited by JWFearman

Guest EmericBelasco

For what it's worth, I've actually heard rumors that the RHPS will NOT be back. I haven't heard anything about the parade, though.

Operations....

You have Operations running the houses (crowd control), and shows... So if you do a parade you need crowd control again to make sure nobody walks infront of the floats.

UO only has so many Team members so you have to close more attractions.

I really think its stupid if UO does the parade cause the SZ will be in the way and other factors come to mind.

But you've also got Ops employees who are brought on specifically for the seasonal parades to do just crowd control/containment, be float handlers, etc. like for Macy's and Mardi Gras, wouldn't they just utilize those same folks if the parade were to come to fruition once again?

I'd rather have small well done scare zones and a parade, than large, grossly uncreative (*cough*Containment*cough*)scare zones like we've seen in the past....but again, I love the old days of HHN and it would be a trip back to see the parade make an appearance one last time... ;)

As with everything we hear from now till opening night, it ain't nothing but speculation in my book till I see it with my own two eyes.

But you've also got Ops employees who are brought on specifically for the seasonal parades to do just crowd control/containment, be float handlers, etc. like for Macy's and Mardi Gras, wouldn't they just utilize those same folks if the parade were to come to fruition once again?

I'd rather have small well done scare zones and a parade, than large, grossly uncreative (*cough*Containment*cough*)scare zones like we've seen in the past....but again, I love the old days of HHN and it would be a trip back to see the parade make an appearance one last time... ;)

As with everything we hear from now till opening night, it ain't nothing but speculation in my book till I see it with my own two eyes.

Thought I might add my 2 sense to the parade thing. Maybe its possible that they might try the "Disney" way of doing a Parades. Towards the end of the night all of the street charactors leave cause they have to get ready for the parade. So what if they held out on the parade till closing? It sure would keep people in the park spending money. Or possibly they could just clear the streets for one cast and do the parade then. Not like it takes hours to do a parade.

Wow, I'm gone for like, three days, and so much to catch up on! Sorry folks, been busy. But anywho, all of this new information is a lot to take in. A parade would be a wonderful idea. I agree with Jordan/Quiksilver. If they did a parade that way, it would make more sense, and be very clever on their part. People WOULD stay and spend more money. As far as The RHPS, I hope it comes back. I really enjoy that show. Sadly though, I too have heard they're not going to re-new their license. As HUSH has said, I'll just wait and see with my own two eyes. Keep the speculations coming you guys!

Thought I might add my 2 sense to the parade thing. Maybe its possible that they might try the "Disney" way of doing a Parades. Towards the end of the night all of the street charactors leave cause they have to get ready for the parade. So what if they held out on the parade till closing? It sure would keep people in the park spending money. Or possibly they could just clear the streets for one cast and do the parade then. Not like it takes hours to do a parade.

That's actually a excellent speculation! Leaving the parade till the end of the night would be a great way to do just like you said, keep people in the park and spending money till the very last minute. (Because if there's a parade, people will stay to see it, no matter how tired they are...as proven by Disney...LOL) And it would actually be a great way to clear the park out too...at the end of the parade line itself have staff members usher people towards the front of the park.

I spent a few years at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Ops, and I worked my fair share of parades. They actually do take a couple of hours from a staffing standpoint, as you have to start setting up well in advance of the actual parade step off time. The actual run time of a parade is greater than you might expect, too, simply because it lasts from the moment it steps off until the last performer crosses backstage. When you're watching a parade, it could take 15 minutes (or longer), but that's just how long it takes to cross your field of view.

I'm not saying the parade isn't doable any more, or that they won't end up bringing it back, I'm just trying to give you a little more information.

Wait, so this Nancy works in Orlando/Halloween Horror Nights?.. Nice, we have a mole on the inside. I watched that video and the theme they have chosen is excellent.

She works at Universal Studios, yes. Not really a mole however, she is just stating rumors and other ideas that are floating around out there, and at the park itself. As everything we have right now is rumor and speculation.

I was thinking, about everything that is being said and what not. And im concerned that with all the "Rumors" and such going around, are expectations of the event are going to be too high to the point to when it does come in Sept/Oct, were going to be disappointed. Anyone else share my concern?

I was thinking, about everything that is being said and what not. And im concerned that with all the "Rumors" and such going around, are expectations of the event are going to be too high to the point to when it does come in Sept/Oct, were going to be disappointed. Anyone else share my concern?

In my opinion, there's an exceptionally strong tendency among some HHN attendees to greatly exaggerate the event. This tendency isn't new to this year but, perhaps, may be taken to another level since it is, what some posit, a "significant anniversary year". (Overall, I see much less of this behavior here than I do on another HHN site but that's another story.)

Here's my thoughts:

*Fist, while 20 years may mean a lot to a small number of devoted attendees, I'm not so sure it's a big deal in the business sense. I mean, I don't think it's going to pull in a significant increase in attendance, and thus revenue, simply because it's year 20. And I think Universal knows that. Sure, they may throw in a few extras but is it going to be significantly different. Um, no. Keep in mind the fact that each and every year Universal proclaims the event as the biggest and best. "Twenty" may well become the marketing gimmick but result in little real difference.

Second, consider your audience. There are far too many that frequent HHN focused forums that have the "Three year old Santa Syndrome." To a three year old, Santa and Christmas may well become so large in their mind that it eclipses all logical reason. This, it seems, happens with the non-typical HHN fan. They talk only in extremes (HHN is the BEST EVER!), they discount any negative or realistic comments that don't espouse obsession with the event, and they can't objectively consider the event as a whole or in part.

So, will some people over build and over exaggerate the event? Absolutely. Will some be let down? Some. But it's a self-feeding cycle. Those who can't see the event objectively and over build it in their mind are the same people who will most likely buy all their hype hook, line, and sinker.

Wow, damn fine post there, TC.

I think you're dead-on with your thoughts on the "20th Anniversary" being a marketing ploy as opposed to a complete blow-out of an event. As much money as Universal makes on the event, they're still operating within a budget, and budgets change over the years (and throughout the year). Yes, there are a lot of die-hard HHN fans out there, and they (we) do bring in money. However, the vast majority of the people who attend the event are not follow-every-rumor-starting-six-months-in-advance types. The biggest return on the HHN investment comes from continually building the number of guests who attend, not necessarily sating every desire of the most dedicated fans.

And, I agree that the hype does tend to get a little out of control. Everybody loves speculation, but with this much time remaining until the event, even the occasional nuggets of truth can change before Opening Night. There are a lot of fan-created rumors, wishful thinking, and who knows, maybe even the occasional leaked truth. However, just remember to take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt, regardless of who says it.