The Purge

JDW

I am torn on this house... I LOVED the scarezone last year so I really hope the house doesn't disappoint like the last time a scarezone I loved got turned into a house *coughSAWSNSTEAMcough*

I think this has great potential to be a great house although I'd rather sit and watch the purgers in a scarezone :)

• Like 4

I really hope this pulls more from the first movie then 2 and whatever 3 is going to be. When HHN tries to do an open scene in a house, it doesn't seem right. Like the one scene in AWiL before you reach the alley, it just felt weird to me. 

But the Purging field from the second movie does look perfect for a HHN house. 

• Like 1

Guest kiwisoup

I really hope this pulls more from the first movie then 2 and whatever 3 is going to be. When HHN tries to do an open scene in a house, it doesn't seem right. Like the one scene in AWiL before you reach the alley, it just felt weird to me. 

But the Purging field from the second movie does look perfect for a HHN house. 

We already pretty much know it's going to be based mostly on the first movie due to the necessity of using old Scream sets which are all surely residential interiors, maybe a school or movie theater in there and some transitional outdoor scenes. They didn't exactly have flexibility to pick and choose what movies to follow because of the last minute change. Based on the mention of a training facility I'm wondering if a location such as the school was able to be completely re themed. I'm thinking there may be a few iconic scenes, but a whole lot of generic settings with people purging. I think it kinda works for this franchise better than most would.

I feel this house will have one of the best queues and entrance scenes of the entire event. Just walking in and hearing the sirens blare while the warning video of the Purge commencing plays, will build so much anxiety. But I also feel it will go 0 to 100 real quick, then back to 30 for the rest of it.

The Purge (Tent 1) was a late addition to HHN25 after intellectual property issues prevented a Scream house from gracing us with its presence in the tents. Also, HHN just tackled the popular movies last year and no third installment to the film series was released this year to bring something new to the table. So, instead of repeating the past, Wallace said that The Purge house will be their own personal take and twists on The Purge story, which sounds like we’ll be getting an original-style house that is simply based on an IP. Could be promising.

UPDATE TO THE UONEWS INFO (CORRECT LOCATIONS)

THE PURGE This year’s Purge is more brutal than ever. From the moment you step inside the house, dozens of vicious vigilantes will descend upon you as the exercise their right to purge. Entrance: Next to Animal Actors on Location Location: Backstage Tent 1 • Exit: Across from MIB Gear 

I've heard what's claimed to be the story behind the sudden replacement of Scream with Purge, which also explains why the sets seem so generic.

Initially, MTV gave Universal the rights to make a house based on the new Scream TV show that just premiered this year. However, after Wes Craven's death Universal wanted to change some aspects of the house to reflect the original films as a tribute to him. MTV didn't like this idea and neither side could come to a good compromise, so MTV revoked the rights.

Since the Scream house was already far into construction by the time the decision was made, it was hastily redecorated for a last minute Purge conversion. The bare surfaces all got covered in graffiti and relatively limited set dressing from the film was added. Pretty much all of the audio was used last year or is the same set of stock sound effects their library has had for ages.

I've heard what's claimed to be the story behind the sudden replacement of Scream with Purge, which also explains why the sets seem so generic.

Initially, MTV gave Universal the rights to make a house based on the new Scream TV show that just premiered this year. However, after Wes Craven's death Universal wanted to change some aspects of the house to reflect the original films as a tribute to him. MTV didn't like this idea and neither side could come to a good compromise, so MTV revoked the rights.

Since the Scream house was already far into construction by the time the decision was made, it was hastily redecorated for a last minute Purge conversion. The bare surfaces all got covered in graffiti and relatively limited set dressing from the film was added. Pretty much all of the audio was used last year or is the same set of stock sound effects their library has had for ages.

Incorrect for several reasons:

1. Wes Craven passed away after The Purge was announced.

2. There's a mannequin that looks a lot like Drew Barrymore in the house and it was likely the other way around. 

Literally ever scene in this house had Scream written all over it.  The Drew mannequin, the kitchen, the tree, the garage, the Sidney bedroom, the toilets, the theater scene from Scream 2.  All they did was paint graffiti all over the house.  I applaud the scareactors in this house because the worked their asses off to provide thrills....but I just kept seeing what was meant to be and it let me down.

This is very much a HAVOC type house to me. Sets aren't anything extraordinary, and the scramble to cover up some of the Scream sets is partly to blame. But it will be the cast to make this house worth visiting. I did it on EP night and it was very intense. This will be a GP favorite, I'm sure of it. A friend of mine did AWiL, FvJ, TWD, Insidious and this was her favorite house. If the actors can keep up the intensity (as there's a pretty big cast in here it seems), then this will be a fun house.

And there are some scenes for Purge, albeit sorta small. Love the way the house starts, wasn't expecting that.

• Like 2

I have to give the cast credit here, they're are doing the best with what they got which is a pretty terrible house. It ridiculously obvious that this house was supposed to be Scream. The first few rooms it like they didn't even try to hide it and the last few rooms feel like they just tried to hide it behind as much black paint and curtains as possible and then blind you with strobes for no reason. 

Edited by Gambit
  • Like 2

so is it safe to say that It would have been much much better to have had a house based on the SCREAM tv show????

Better than what we got? the tv show might be bad... but at least the house could have been really good? (Even with those weird new masks) 

Did this house another two times last night, and I feel like they've cranked up their intensity. I definitely won't forget what one of the scare actors pulled on us either.

Aka the actor who poses as a girl asking if she can get in front of us in line halfway through the house. She even acted scared and jumped a couple of times to make it seem more realistic. And then next thing I knew, she was being grabbed and stabbed right in front of me! Major props to her and their execution (pun intended).

• Like 1

Did this house another two times last night, and I feel like they've cranked up their intensity. I definitely won't forget what one of the scare actors pulled on us either.

Hidden Content

I saw this myself on my first run, so I can confirm that this is a legit part of the house.

I went through last night specifically looking for Scream content and it's really obvious what this house used to be. Obviously Casey's kitchen is virtually intact (complete with Jiffy Pop on the counter and the glass patio doors). It looks like you move on from there to the garage from the first film eventually, which has been redecorated and had the garage door removed. The scene with the Roman columns and giant screen that doesn't match the Purge at all is the final scene from Scream 2, as seen here: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9FnPtqrbv8

Edited by Cody
  • Like 1

It looks like you move on from there to the garage from the first film eventually, which has been redecorated and had the garage door removed. The scene with the Roman columns and giant screen that doesn't match the Purge at all is the final scene from Scream 2, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9FnPtqrbv8

What specific room is the garage? I don't blame you if you can't recall. :lol:

I'm intrigued in how the Scream 2 scene would have worked. I'm guessing Billy's mother and a bloodied Mickey would pop out? Would the screen have been used, or even been there at all?

I'm intrigued in how the Scream 2 scene would have worked. I'm guessing Billy's mother and a bloodied Mickey would pop out? Would the screen have been used, or even been there at all?

The garage should be two rooms after what used to be Casey's living room. It's got some of the general structure and set dressing (like bicycles on the walls) but has been redecorated with stuff like the fridge to your left when you enter. You exit from that room into what looks like an outside yard between houses, which is the transition into the Scream 2 finale.

I'm guessing that scene wouldn't have had the screen at all. I could see them wanting to incorporate some of the effects from the film (like the paper mache fire or the falling sandbags).

If we're still going by the films, I think the "PROM QUEEN" bedroom later in the house may have been from Scream 1 where Billy is attacked by Ghostface.

Edited by Cody

If you look up in the 3rd or 4th scene of the house, you can literally see the mechanism that's to open/close garage doors lol

it's a lot of fun to see the Scream sets mixed into very light Purge scenic/graffiti. Kind of a "what if" situation. Would've loved to see the house in full Scream set dressing and Ghostface, but what we got instead was a pretty intense house. If the actors keep up the intensity, it'll be a crowd favorite. 

I fully expect to see a proper Purge house and zone next year for the 3rd movie, especially if this continues to get great reviews. 

• Like 1