Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood 2015 Event Discussion

Have to disagree with you arsik on this is the end facade, from what I saw it looks pretty dope, or at least what I wanted

It didn't look like James Franco's multimillion dollar mansion. It looked like pieces of plywood painted black, with slits throughout it to have red led lights shining through it. It really was the most unimpressive facade we've had. Voodoo, Black Magic, and a handful of other KSF mazes look SO much better than it. While I agree with Freak about KSF quality improving, I still don't think they're anywhere near Orlando's HHN quality, but they have improved. 

Grindhousehero13 & DTH, I completely agree with you both. The creative team is TOO small, and they honestly seem tired. Chris Williams is a fantastic art director, but because he's the only one you can tell which mazes and specific scenes he puts the most time into. Same thing can be said about John... We've seen him design some outstanding mazes - TCM, Halloween, Insidious, AVP, F13, NOES, etc. but then there are a ton of misses too. They need to expand the team like Orlando, or go back into creative areas related to daytime operation and pass the torch to someone new who's ready to focus on providing a consistent experience throughout the entire line up of mazes and scarezones. You know the paranormal aspect John was so excited about this year for Halloween? Think about any of the static figures they've placed behind a mirror in Insidious or a handful of other mazes... That's all they did with Halloween. Static Michael Myer figures appearing and disappearing, and it looked TERRIBLE. The Walking Dead had static zombies lined up on both sides in one room, with a handful of real scareactors acting like they too were mannequins. When has a zombie ever stood completely still like that and then randomly sprang to life? I understand using that scare tactic in the further, but that's unacceptable in a Walking Dead maze. Oh, and guess what- that zombie horde static prop being pushed towards you was the finale scare in the maze once again. Big surprise.... I hate being so down about the event but even with this mediocre line up, I went into preview night with a ton of excitement. I never go in wanting to hate the event, and I've never left so disappointed. I'm beyond thankful I get to go to Orlando's HHN again this year, because they are the top dogs. Our event isn't even half as good as theirs unfortunately. 

I think your forgetting about Dracula 

I enjoyed Dracula Untold. Was it a great maze? Not even close, but the cast was so damn good. The facade was still better than This is the End's facade... Yes, it's that bad. 

Edited by Arsik_22
  • Like 4

So I most likely won't be able to post my Preview Night review for a few days, but I'll give a brief summation of my thoughts. 

I know this is a dress rehearsal and things will improve, but this honestly may be the weakest year I've attended in the past 9 years. Insidious was practically perfect. The cast was on fire! Halloween was a close second. Everything else was underwhelming. 

TWD has potential to be pretty good as soon as the cast gets the hang of their surroundings. Their energy was still very good and they got me a few times. For it being the "longest maze", there were a lot of blank hallways to fill the space. Lots of static zombies throughout. Very poor translation of some of the show's scenes that happened in season 5. 

Crimson Peak looked beautiful. Ghost costumes looked cheap though. Similar to La Llorona (1st year) - creepy sets, lacking scares. 

AVP - Same as last year. Some predators were missing, but I'm sure they'll be there on opening night. Cast wasn't very good but theyll improve. 

This is the End - WOW, this was really, really, really bad. Without a doubt the worst maze in HHN history, and worse than most KSF mazes to be honest. Ineffective 3D (one lighting effect was cool though), demon puppets looked cartoony, and the facade was hideous (incomplete but still looks very basic). 

Terror Tram- Same shit, different theme. Purge couldn't save the tram. YAWN. 

Scarezones during preview night are never as good because of the smaller crowds but I really enjoyed Exterminatorz and Dark Christmas  Purge and Corpz were boring. 

If you guys wanna see a few pics I took, my Instagram name is Arsik_22 

Nooooo, is it maybe because it's preview night.  

Murdy said this on Twitter :

@Horror "Nights Well we survived preview or as I like to call it, dress rehearsal with people. Going to hit the ground running tomorrow, horror never sleeps.

Now that we made it past preview, we're gonna work like possessed people to dial in everything that needs to be ready for Friday. Long list!

There's set pieces and effects that weren't in for preview so a lot more is flying in over the next 48 hours! #HorrorNeverSleeps"

Do you think everything will be better by friday or next week when I go on the 26th?

@Horror "Nights Well we survived preview or as I like to call it, dress rehearsal with people. Going to hit the ground running tomorrow, horror never sleeps.

Now that we made it past preview, we're gonna work like possessed people to dial in everything that needs to be ready for Friday. Long list!

There's set pieces and effects that weren't in for preview so a lot more is flying in over the next 48 hours! #HorrorNeverSleeps"

Do you think everything will be better by friday or next week when I go on the 26th?

I'm almost positive it will be better by opening night. Murdy even said, there were lots of components still missing. Plus with new scare actors, everyone just needs to get their footing. It's just like with tv shows, first episodes (open nights) are never perfect. The creators learn quickly and adjust so that the rest of the season doesn't suck. Not saying that this will be the strongest year ever (cuts let's be honest, it won't be) but I don't think it will be the worst either.

• Like 2

It'll definitely get better. Even so, I think this may still be the weakest year. We'll just have to wait and see but I'm sure you'll still have a great time! Ill make an effort to go at the end of October to see the improvements and I'm hoping this turns out to be another solid year. I've been attending the preview nights for a few years now, and this just was the least impressive one so far, but who knows you may still be impressed. Its all subjective. This is the End has no hope of being saved though. Lol 

• Like 1

Preview night is always an interesting night, scareactors are gaining their footing in their positions or just completely new to the event. A lot of stuff isn't done or still being worked on so I wouldn't judge the event to harshly based off of last night. Give the event a couple weekends to get a good stride going and then place your judgement. 

• Like 2

Preview night is always an interesting night, scareactors are gaining their footing in their positions or just completely new to the event. A lot of stuff isn't done or still being worked on so I wouldn't judge the event to harshly based off of last night. Give the event a couple weekends to get a good stride going and then place your judgement. 

I'm just comparing this year's preview to the last 4 preview nights. In comparison, this is the weakest by far. But who knows, maybe things will get drastically better. 

Give the event a couple weekends to get a good stride going and then place your judgement. 

Opening night, that's the deadline. Sure you can't completely judge based on the EP night, but saying to wait a few weekends before judgment is not acceptable. 99% of people attending opening weekend are only going to the event that one time, so everything needs to be AS INTENDED by the time the first person walks into the park for early entry on September 18th. They won't get a second chance to judge, that will be their one and only time, and if they walk away from this year saying "this year sucked," then their opinion is going to be completely valid and hold up because they saw the INTENDED product. Yes, things will improve and will get better as things go along, but one can rightfully judge once opening night begins from their one trip. Once opening night hits, anything good or bad is now apart of the event's history and Murdy/Universal has to answer for it.

Not everyone can be like me and can judge the year as a whole from 2 - 3 visits. But real judgment begins this Friday, so be ready, because any criticisms starting from that point on are valid.

• Like 4

This is The End is missing a lot of core props. They'll be in soon. By Friday, things should be sorted out. I work in that maze lol. Hopefully you'll enjoy it better then.

I tried to make my Demon extra menacing to compensate lol.

Edited by XD005
  • Like 2

this goes back to my point of sharing creative with a team and not just one other guy. 

• Like 1

Thanks bggrenville813 & Arsik_22, I Have Some Hope For This Year Now. Even Though I Can't Rely On What Other People Think Of Thoose Mazes Since I Need To See It With My Own Eyes To Judge.

It really is subjective. I saw many comments about some of last year's mazes and scare zones that I completely disagreed with. We just have to experience it for ourselves

• Like 1

My point exactly.

Its a preview. Not a sample.

Does anyone know if they ended up doing the fog btw in Insidious. Didn't have a chan e to see it?

There was a ton of fog in the first room where the bride in black pops out through the picture frame (same scare as in 2013) but after the first two rooms there wasn't any fog at all. 

• Like 1

I mean from a design stand point, the 3D usage and colors don't represent the film at all. And the creature that's not even in the movie is overly used at least 2 or 3 times already within the first few hallways, in places that don't make much sense with the film.

I mean, I hated the idea of it being a maze at HHN (I totally wouldn't care if it were at Knotts), but if they're gonna do it, might as well do it right.